PDA

View Full Version : Gretz:8 Days

dirk digler
11-15-2006, 01:35 PM
I totally agree, the next 2 games pretty much decide our season.

http://kcchiefs.com/news/2006/11/15/gretz_eight_days/

The next eight days will be the turning point of the Chiefs season.

There’s no other way to look at what’s immediately ahead for this team. They have four days to get ready to play Oakland this Sunday and then three days to rest and prepare to play the Donkeys on Thanksgiving evening.

Eight days from now, the picture for the Chiefs will be clearer because their goal for those two games is singular. They must beat both the Raiders and Broncos. They cannot split and they certainly cannot lose both games.

They must win twice. Anything less and the chances of making the playoffs are pretty much gone. The Chiefs margin for error was left on the field at Dolphin Stadium. Their inability to beat Miami took away the minimal breathing room they had in the race to the post-season. If they don’t make it, the turning point of the season will go down as the Chiefs possession with three minutes, 10 seconds to play and holding the ball at their own 14-yard line. The inability to get the offense into field goal range proved fatal to the Chiefs chances for victory.

And, it may have been fatal to the team’s chances for the playoffs. That’s because they are a miserable 1-4 within the AFC, which after head-to-head competition is the No. 2 tiebreaker for the tournament. If they played in the NFC West, they would be sitting in a much better position, with their 4-0 mark against teams in that division. In the NFC, 5-4 would have them tied for the fifth spot in the playoffs.

Right now, they are tied for the last spot in the AFC playoffs. But, among the teams that match their 5-4 record – New York Jets and Jacksonville – the Chiefs easily have the worst conference record. The Jets are 4-4 and the Jaguars are 3-3.

Right now, tiebreakers are not something the Chiefs need to be thinking about. The only thing that should be on their radar screen is the next eight days. They’ll hear about this Wednesday morning from Herm Edwards, but the echo effect is needed within the locker room. Among the ranks of the players, leaders need to step forward and convince every player on the roster that all other things in their lives need to be set-aside for the next eight days. That must come from every player, because the injuries have forced the Chiefs to reach all the way to the bottom of their 53-man roster for contributions.

Walkout of Arrowhead late Thanksgiving night with a 7-4 record and many, many things would remain possible for these Chiefs. They would still be in the thick of the race to the playoffs, and the timing would correspond with the return of some of their more important players. By the time the Chiefs made the trip to Cleveland after mini-bye weekend after the Denver game, they should have Brian Waters, Derrick Johnson, Greg Wesley and possibly even Tony Gonzalez all back and ready to play. Trent Green figures to get back into the mix this week or next at the latest.

With two victories and returning players, the Chiefs would go into the last five games of the season as strong as they’ve been at any point this season. They would need that strength as those final five games include three head-to-head meetings with contenders: Baltimore, San Diego and Jacksonville.

It’s all about the next eight days.

JBucc
11-15-2006, 01:37 PM
Gretz acutally called them the Donkeys? Is this common?

Warrior5
11-15-2006, 01:38 PM
Gretz actually wrote Donkeys. ROFL

tk13
11-15-2006, 01:42 PM
I don't know, I think the San Diego/Oakland trip is going to be big. We can't drop both of those like we did the Cowboys/Giants road trip last year. That's what killed us. I expect us to take care of business at home.

HemiEd
11-15-2006, 01:46 PM
I liked the Donkeys reference, nice. However, we need to be only concerned about the Raiders right now.

ptlyon
11-15-2006, 01:51 PM
It's over. We can't play on the road.

ROYC75
11-15-2006, 02:00 PM

Yes, he has several times this year..........

StcChief
11-15-2006, 02:03 PM
If we get both games without TG, Waters,DJ,Wesley....

I'd say our chance go way up.

Chiefs Pantalones
11-15-2006, 02:03 PM
This team is going to the playoffs.

dirk digler
11-15-2006, 02:06 PM
I don't know, I think the San Diego/Oakland trip is going to be big. We can't drop both of those like we did the Cowboys/Giants road trip last year. That's what killed us. I expect us to take care of business at home.

I am hoping so, I think the Raiders game will be an easy game and I would hope the Chiefs come out and just destroy the Donkeys. But if for some reason we lose 1 or both I think we are done.

FAX
11-15-2006, 02:10 PM
This scenario is making me very figgity (sp?).

FAX

Kerberos
11-15-2006, 02:12 PM

Yea and he gets lambasted with Asshats emailing him from all over donkeyville asking him to stop calling the Broncos "Donkeys" because they don't like it and they call him classless for doing it.

He pretty much lays the SMACKDOWN on them and tells them to lighten up!

He does it all in the spirit of competition and not for any other reason.

But it does make for great reading as a Chiefs fan.

ck_IN
11-15-2006, 03:23 PM
The Raiders have a nice D but no offense. I've read they may go back to Brooks but that only gives them a running back that can throw. All in all the Oakland game should be easy.

Denver I could easily see as a loss. Plummer has gotten his head out of whatever region it was in and their D is tough. It'll come down to our Oline. If Green can stay upright, we win.

As for the road games I don't see us winning at SD. At Oakland could be a toss up.

InChiefsHell
11-15-2006, 03:43 PM
The Raiders have a nice D but no offense. I've read they may go back to Brooks but that only gives them a running back that can throw. All in all the Oakland game should be easy.

Denver I could easily see as a loss. Plummer has gotten his head out of whatever region it was in and their D is tough. It'll come down to our Oline. If Green can stay upright, we win.

As for the road games I don't see us winning at SD. At Oakland could be a toss up.

Plummer's head is still up his arse. He threw 3 pics and 2 TD's last week, against the Raiders. That won't be good enough in Arrowhead.

Not saying it's going to be an easy game, it never is, but I'm not afraid of the Fake.

Halfcan
11-15-2006, 03:55 PM
Wow, a whole article saying we need to win the next two weeks-thanks blob for the newsflash.

milkman
11-15-2006, 04:22 PM
The Raiders are never an easy game for the Chiefs.

Chiefs, without Tony Gonzales, will struggle to score points against a pretty good Raider defense.

And the Chiefs defense still makes average QBs look like All Pros.

CoMoChief
11-15-2006, 05:22 PM
It's over. We can't play on the road.

That is VERY true.

Deberg_1990
11-15-2006, 05:32 PM
Knowing the recent history of this team, ill bet we lose the next two games....

Then in Decemeber go on a tear and win the next 3 or 4. By that time it will be too little too late...

Just wait...

boogblaster
11-15-2006, 05:42 PM
We need to win the next 4 games.. then maybe with a loss at Bolts and wins at Chokeland & Jiggs.. we could get to the POs...

philfree
11-15-2006, 05:51 PM
That is VERY true.

Yeah that's what the Rams fans are saying.

PhilFree:arrow:

philfree
11-15-2006, 05:55 PM
The Raiders are never an easy game for the Chiefs.

Chiefs, without Tony Gonzales, will struggle to score points against a pretty good Raider defense.

And the Chiefs defense still makes average QBs look like All Pros.

Hali was banged up last week and he didn't play near like he had been. If he's healthier this week and can return to form we'll have a much better pass rush. Also even though we are still banged up on the o line we've had another week to gain a little continuity. It will be close like it always is with the Raiders but if we can establish a running game we'll come out winners.

Hammock Parties
11-15-2006, 06:31 PM
Gretz always calls Denver the Donkeys. Even on the radio.

milkman
11-15-2006, 06:44 PM
Hali was banged up last week and he didn't play near like he had been. If he's healthier this week and can return to form we'll have a much better pass rush. Also even though we are still banged up on the o line we've had another week to gain a little continuity. It will be close like it always is with the Raiders but if we can establish a running game we'll come out winners.

Even with a heathy Hali and Allen at the top of their game, we still don't get any consistent pressure on the QB because our DTs suck.

As a result, QBs can find open receivers at their leisure.

Skip Towne
11-15-2006, 07:01 PM
I am hoping so, I think the Raiders game will be an easy game and I would hope the Chiefs come out and just destroy the Donkeys. But if for some reason we lose 1 or both I think we are done.
Yep, if we lose either one. When was the last time we won 5 straight?

KChiefs1
11-15-2006, 07:11 PM
I've got these next two games marked as "W's".

philfree
11-15-2006, 07:17 PM
Even with a heathy Hali and Allen at the top of their game, we still don't get any consistent pressure on the QB because our DTs suck.

As a result, QBs can find open receivers at their leisure.

I'm not sure that's 100% true but last week he only had 1 tkl. He's a differnce maker on our D IMO and at Arrowhead he and Allen have been wreaking havoc. Also we are allowing 200 yard PG against the pass. That's middle of the road but we aren't really getting picked apart like we have the last few years. Arrowhead + Allen&Hali = presure on the QB.

Chiefs Pantalones
11-15-2006, 08:27 PM
It's simple.

If we lose either of these next two games...it's over. Game. Set. Match. It is what it is.

milkman
11-15-2006, 09:02 PM
I'm not sure that's 100% true but last week he only had 1 tkl. He's a differnce maker on our D IMO and at Arrowhead he and Allen have been wreaking havoc. Also we are allowing 200 yard PG against the pass. That's middle of the road but we aren't really getting picked apart like we have the last few years. Arrowhead + Allen&Hali = presure on the QB.

Our defense is improved, and Hali is making a difference, but we still give QBs too much time in the pocket, generally.