PDA

View Full Version : Congress investigating Anti-trust by NFL direct ticket

Flustrated
11-15-2006, 03:07 PM
I would cancel direct TV in a second if cable got the "ticket" according to this article, congress is also reviewing a monopoly by NFLN distributing it's own games.

I love the NFL, but decisions they have made with "exclusivity" for their partners for money hurts the fans immensely imo. I loved the ESPN football game, lots more than madden. Sad that the NFL owners are so greedy that they think little about the fans. I hope congress acts before Turkey Day, my parents don't hvae DirecTV and I was seriously considering leaving early to come home and watch the game.

Today the Senate Judiciary Committee holds a hearing on whether the DirecTV monopoly on Sunday Ticket is anti-consumer and constitutes restraint of trade. Finally, Congress has noticed this issue! TMQ's prediction: The NFL, which seriously does not want Congress rethinking the antitrust exemption granted to the league in 1961 over its television contracts, better move pronto to make Sunday Ticket available to all cable carriers. The 1961 agreement with Congress specifies that in exchange for an antitrust exemption, the NFL will make its broadcasts available to everyone. Instead, the Sunday Ticket broadcast operates under a monopoly structure. Congress is already in a foul mood about the NCAA's tax-exempt status for profitable D-I football. The new Congress will want to differentiate itself from the last by being pro-consumer. The NFL's television contracts are worth nearly $4 billion a year; the league would be foolish to run any risk with that sum. Roger Goodell, change your deal with DirecTV before Congress changes it for you.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=easterbrook/061114

In other NFL television news, we sure hope you like the 2-7 Tampa Bay Buccaneers, who were on "Monday Night Football" last night and will be telecast nationally at Dallas on Thanksgiving Day. Maybe you'll want to plan a family touch-football game for early afternoon on T-Day, since the early nationally televised contest is Miami at Detroit, teams with a current combined record of 5-13. But the interesting thing about Thanksgiving will be the first NFL Network live game broadcast that night.

There's a quiet conspiracy theory holding that the NFL Network, which wants cable carriers to place its product on basic cable, not on a premium-pay digital tier, manipulated the Thanksgiving schedule. Being on basic cable is far more attractive financially than being on premium, because basic goes to most of the country's households and thus is very appealing to advertisers. Time Warner and Comcast are resisting putting the NFL Network on basic cable -- they think the monthly fee the NFL Network is asking is too high. Time Warner has even established a Web site that aggressively denounces NFL Network's money demands. But can any cable carrier resist offering all customers the best access to the most important sport? Now consider the conspiracy angle. Check the Thanksgiving lineup -- a crummy game on CBS (Miami at Detroit), a crummy game on Fox (Tampa at Dallas), and a fantastic game on NFL Network (Denver at Kansas City). Technically the NFL Network bid for television rights to NFL games as an independent firm receiving no special treatment, and technically Harvard doesn't favor the children of big donors, either. The conspiracy theory holds that the league manipulated the Thanksgiving schedule so that when millions of Americans look in their newspaper listings next week and realize Thanksgiving's hot game is on a channel their cable carriers do not provide, they will call Comcast, Time Warner and others to demand that the NFL Network be added to basic cable. Don't be surprised if this happens across the country on the day before Thanksgiving.

tk13
11-15-2006, 03:12 PM
Well, to be fair, Tampa was a playoff team last year, and Miami almost was, and was expected to be an up and coming contender this season.

I wonder what would happen to DirecTV if Congress stepped in, they pay quite a bit of money for exclusive rights. I wonder how they'd sort that all out.

siberian khatru
11-15-2006, 03:14 PM
The Ticket is the only reason I have DirecTV. Congress takes that away, and Skip will be bussing tables with Zach.

JBucc
11-15-2006, 03:14 PM
Congress might act before Turkey Day. Turkey Day 2015 that is.

dirk digler
11-15-2006, 03:18 PM
The Ticket is the only reason I have DirecTV. Congress takes that away, and Skip will be bussing tables with Zach.

LMAO

tk13
11-15-2006, 03:23 PM
LMAO

Frazod
11-15-2006, 03:37 PM
I'd shitcan those clowns in a split second if Comcast got Sunday Ticket.

JBucc
11-15-2006, 03:38 PM
Unless they make all the cable companies get NFL network this won't affect me since I'm not paying for Sunday Ticket no matter who has it.

jidar
11-15-2006, 03:44 PM

hahaha oh shit, that one was good

Donger
11-15-2006, 03:50 PM

ROFL

Never, NEVER, EVER would Skip ever work for ANYONE!!!

AAAAANNNNNNYYYYYYOOOOOONNNNNNEEEEEEEE!

Lzen
11-15-2006, 03:55 PM

ROFL Excellent!

morphius
11-15-2006, 03:55 PM
This could be very bad for Direct TV. Luckily they are using the the bottom end of High Def for their HD signals...

Mecca
11-15-2006, 04:11 PM
If they didn't have exclusive rights to the Ticket Direct TV would be hosed.....

dirk digler
11-15-2006, 04:14 PM
I hope they change the rule so I can get rid of DTV and their high priced Sunday Ticket

teedubya
11-15-2006, 04:53 PM
i hate USC, but Mecca has a nice signature.

HemiEd
11-15-2006, 05:02 PM
The Ticket is the only reason I have DirecTV. Congress takes that away, and Skip will be bussing tables.

I do like the HD quality a lot on DTV, but would love to get rid of it since we have cable too. Skip could put that high falutin' KU degree to work for him.

Mosbonian
11-15-2006, 05:23 PM
I guess I am the odd guy here....I don't have the Sunday Ticket, but i have DTV....and it matters not to me whether it goes to cable or not. I'll keep my DTV regardless...to me cable is just as bad, if not worse than Satellite TV when it comes to all around performance.

mmaddog

morphius
11-15-2006, 05:25 PM
If they didn't have exclusive rights to the Ticket Direct TV would be hosed.....
I don't think they would be hosed exactly, I mean Dish TV is still running and they don't have the ticket.

Just think how much more affordable it should be if it wasn't for the billions they spent to get that exclusive contract.

Calcountry
11-15-2006, 05:28 PM
I sure hope the Democrats restore power to the people.

1adam1238
11-15-2006, 05:44 PM
I think a lil competition in the market would be great. Everytime I have to deal with DTV it is an endless black hole. Operators don't even know where pay per view events can be found. Bring on the competition!!!!

Rain Man
11-15-2006, 05:54 PM
Technically the NFL Network bid for television rights to NFL games as an independent firm receiving no special treatment, and technically Harvard doesn't favor the children of big donors, either.

Heh-heh.

milkman
11-15-2006, 06:21 PM
I guess I am the odd guy here....

mmaddog

We knew that.
:)

DTLB58
11-15-2006, 06:49 PM
I guess I am the odd guy here....I don't have the Sunday Ticket, but i have DTV....and it matters not to me whether it goes to cable or not. I'll keep my DTV regardless...to me cable is just as bad, if not worse than Satellite TV when it comes to all around performance.

mmaddog

When I had cable TV I never once lost programming due to a thunderstorm.

The ONLY reason I have DIRECTV is becuase of ticket and NFL Network.

DIRECTV service SUCKS, I've said it for all the years I've had it and I was just reminded this last week when my father-in-law signed up for it and told me the horror story for a 70+ year old man who lives alone and how they treated him with his installation. He was so pissed he didn't even activate it and just stayed with his cable.

Spott
11-15-2006, 07:47 PM
I would never go with DirectTV after that crap they pulled on the Chiefs/Miami game last year.

Mosbonian
11-15-2006, 08:01 PM
When I had cable TV I never once lost programming due to a thunderstorm.

The ONLY reason I have DIRECTV is becuase of ticket and NFL Network.

DIRECTV service SUCKS, I've said it for all the years I've had it and I was just reminded this last week when my father-in-law signed up for it and told me the horror story for a 70+ year old man who lives alone and how they treated him with his installation. He was so pissed he didn't even activate it and just stayed with his cable.

I've never had any problem with DirecTV whether it be the Installers of Customer Service...but I have had many horror stories when I had cable.

I guess our experiences are the opposite end of the spectrum.

mmaddog

Mosbonian
11-15-2006, 08:03 PM
We knew that.

Why I aughta.... :bang: %(/ :fart:

mmaddog

Bugeater
11-15-2006, 08:03 PM
I would cancel direct TV in a second if cable got the "ticket" according to this article, congress is also reviewing a monopoly by NFLN distributing it's own games.

I love the NFL, but decisions they have made with "exclusivity" for their partners for money hurts the fans immensely imo. I loved the ESPN football game, lots more than madden. Sad that the NFL owners are so greedy that they think little about the fans. I hope congress acts before Turkey Day, my parents don't hvae DirecTV and I was seriously considering leaving early to come home and watch the game.

I wouldn't hold my breath for that.

Time Warner and Comcast are resisting putting the NFL Network on basic cable -- they think the monthly fee the NFL Network is asking is too high.
I don't know why those two companies are being singled out, neither Qwest nor Cox Communications have it available on basic cable. Hell I'd be happy if they even added it as a premium channel, I'd gladly pay $10/month for it. I'm not willing to upgrade to digital cable for it though.

TN_Chief
11-15-2006, 08:55 PM
It's a good thing that Congress is spending time on important stuff...

****ing idiots.

morphius
11-15-2006, 09:12 PM

****ing idiots.
Normally it is best that congress stay away from important stuff...

normally.

oaklandhater
11-15-2006, 09:14 PM
I hope they screw over EA games no company deserves it more then them.Since Madden has been utter crap since Sega Stop makeing ESPN football.

mikey23545
11-15-2006, 09:26 PM
Yes, it's always a <b><i>good</i></b> thing for government to get involved in the business world....

Flustrated
11-15-2006, 09:32 PM

****ing idiots.

What's more important than Chiefs football?!?!? :$2500:

Skip Towne
11-15-2006, 09:34 PM
I don't think they would be hosed exactly, I mean Dish TV is still running and they don't have the ticket.

Just think how much more affordable it should be if it wasn't for the billions they spent to get that exclusive contract.
You are correct. Less than half of the people i install take the Ticket. Both cable and satellite are so tremendously profitable it would take a catastrophe to dent them. If I had gotten into cable in the 60's I'd be too good to talk to you people.

dtebbe
11-15-2006, 09:54 PM
This is stupid, a complete waste of taxpayer money. They need to keep thier noses out of private business. Everyone has access to thier home market game on free TV, period. Unless you are in Oakland...

DT