PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else see these "XFL" rules changes??

Cannibal
01-16-2001, 07:56 PM
VERY, VERY interesting.

I especially like the ones I highlighted in bold.

XFL | Rules Changes- posted at KFFL (www.kffl.com)
17:42 ET: According to the league's official web site, the XFL introduced some rules changes today. The league now has what it calls the "most exciting fourth down in football," as any punt traveling more than 25 yards will be a live ball recoverable by either team. The league also banned fair catches and added protection for punt returners in the form of a five-yard protective "halo" by potential tacklers until the punt is caught. Members of the kicking team will not be able to release from the line of scrimmage until the ball is kicked. There will be no PAT kicks, instead teams will have to run or pass from the two-yard line to score one point. On a fumble or interception the defending team can return it for one point if it scores.

XFL | Rules Changes Part II - posted at KFFL (www.kffl.com)
17:46 ET: Other rules introduced today by the XFL are: A receiver or defender need only one foot inbounds to make a reception or interception. There is no "in-the-grasp" rule and QBs are only down when when his forward progress is halted. The teams will allow DBs to play "bump and run" all the way down the field. In overtime, each team will get four downs to score from the opponent’s 20 yard line. However, if team A scores a touchdown in less that four downs, team B only gets that many downs to respond. The process repeats until there is a winner. The league will also utilize a 35-second clock between plays when the clock has been stopped, 25 seconds when there is no stoppage in time.

It sounds like it's going to be a very exciting game. I can't wait to see one of those punts that is up for grabs.

Frazod
01-16-2001, 08:03 PM
Sounds interesting. As I've said before, even bad football is better than no football.

Plus, I'm looking forward to the effect frigid temperatures will have on scantily-clad cheerleaders in Chicago... :D

Cannibal
01-16-2001, 08:06 PM
I really like that punt rule and the overtime rule a lot.

I realize that punt rule is probably a little over the top for the NFL, but I do think that overtime rule is something the NFL should look into.

morphius
01-16-2001, 09:01 PM
Cannibal - The Punt rule is interesting, though I'm confused about the 5 yard halo on a live ball. 5 yards also seems pretty big and may make it like that stupid college halo that some teams like NU use to their advantage for the flag.

Oh well, it may be a little interesting.

58Forever
01-17-2001, 09:28 AM
bump and run all the way down the field?...what next, sleeper holds at the line of scrimmage?...the receiver breaks lose...oh my!...the Rock just jumped in off the sidelines and cloths lined him...ouch...that's gotta hurt...

milkman
01-17-2001, 09:43 AM
Joe,
Before the NFL started putting a premium on scoring, and created rules to help offenses to achieve that, bump and run was allowed all the way down the field. I like this rule.
You have to wonder how many yards a receiver like Otis Taylor or Lance Alworth could have put up in today's NFL?

Cannibal
01-17-2001, 09:54 AM
Morphius,

The 5 yard halo is required because there are no fair catches allowed. If the halo rule wasn't in place then the player receiving the punt would be destroyed without having any opportunity to catch the ball. With this rule he can still be destroyed, but at least he'll have a chance to field the punt.

This is especially going to be interesting with the up for grabs punt. Kick the ball more than 25 yards and the ball is free for anyone to recover. We're going to see some hellacious scrums for the football with this rule.

58Forever
01-17-2001, 10:39 AM
Milkman, but does bump and run equate to mugging?...I mean how far does it go?...you wonder what Taylor and Alworth would be like today...I wonder what Moss and Gonzalez would have been like then....

redhed
01-17-2001, 10:49 AM
Ah yes, the XFL. Methadone for football addicts. I think it'll just make me want the real thing even more...

Mark M
01-17-2001, 10:52 AM
Most of my criticism towards the XFL is based on the fact that it's associated with pro wrestling (something I see as the downfall of western civilization). But the more I read about it, the more it seems like it will be an exciting sport.

I'm guessing that even though after 25 yds. the ball is fair game, the guy still has the halo to protect him, right? I think this rule is so that guys just don't let the ball go when they are within the 15 yard line, like they do in the NFL, and hope to get a touchback.

And, yes, bump and run does equate to mugging. There should be about 6 INTs a game ... per team. They want offense but are going to wind up with defensive stuggles, IMO. And that's not a bad thing. :D

MM
~~A defensive homer who just might be interested in seeing this ...

Cannibal
01-17-2001, 11:11 AM
As long as the WR is also allowed to push off, he should still be able to catch the ball about as often as the DB knocks it away.

Mark M
01-17-2001, 11:14 AM
Cannibal--
Good point. I actually thought of that a few minutes ago, but hadn't had time to edit my post. Andre pRison would thrive in this league! :D

MM
~~Still happy about pRison losing the game for Chokeland.

Mi_chief_fan
01-17-2001, 11:15 AM
When does XFL start?

Cannibal
01-17-2001, 11:30 AM
Not sure, but I believe it starts in Feb.