PDA

View Full Version : Can I hide the original properties of a digital photogragh?

chagrin
11-15-2006, 08:55 PM
Let's say I take a picture tonight or whatever, my feet or face, etc...and I go to photoshop and stamp a date of "11/10/2001" how can I go to properties or whatever and discover the real source of time and date? If at all?

SLAG
11-15-2006, 08:58 PM
simple answer is sure probably... you could always just change the date/ time on the camera before you take the picture.... then it would be "Legit"

but....

i have a feeling you are doing this for sinister reasons so as your attorney i advise you to rent a fast car with no top.

and you will have to bring the cocaine

Simplex3
11-15-2006, 09:31 PM
Yahoo for "exif data". The timestamp you erased is actually "etched" into the image, so that one is gone. There may be all kinds of crap in the exif though.

chagrin
11-16-2006, 11:38 AM
simple answer is sure probably... you could always just change the date/ time on the camera before you take the picture.... then it would be "Legit"

but....

i have a feeling you are doing this for sinister reasons so as your attorney i advise you to rent a fast car with no top.

and you will have to bring the cocaine

Well no, I am not taking the picture, and it is not a picture of myself anyway. Just assuming the picture in question has already been altered to reflect a fake date, how can I discover the true date?

Can this be done?

StcChief
11-16-2006, 11:53 AM
Google this... allows editting the EXIF DATA of a digital picture.

http://www.colorpilot.com/exif.html

chagrin
11-16-2006, 12:40 PM
Can I use this for an image that was taken with another person's camera?

StcChief
11-17-2006, 10:21 AM
Can I use this for an image that was taken with another person's camera?

If you have the pic file, and can edit it, don't see why not.

patteeu
11-17-2006, 10:45 AM
So what did you discover? Get back to us and let us know the whole story.

StcChief
11-17-2006, 11:16 AM
Google this... allows editting the EXIF DATA of a digital picture.

http://www.colorpilot.com/exif.html

They have a DEMO only. If you want it you must buy $$$.

Not that interested I will root around on Sourceforge

Pretty stupid for a simple file editor of a custom format piece of data.

For all interested in my Google....

http://www.google.com/search?q=sourceforge+exif+data&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

As a Sourceforge project
UFRaw seems to be what is needed. Plug-in for GIMP editor.
At work now. Will try it with GIMP at home.
Report back later.

chagrin
11-18-2006, 11:02 AM
Just now getting to it, I am not quite sure I can understand the method yet, but we'll see.

chagrin
11-18-2006, 11:10 AM
Guys, this is WAY over my head. I thought I would simply download some software and then install it, then double click on the icon to activate the program, then go from there.

This thing I downloaded, from STcChief's google link, I have no idea what's going on...any other ideas?

chagrin
11-18-2006, 11:17 AM
Okay, I downloaded the other file from the first link, provided by STCc Chiefs, and I get the following error:

Procedure entry point, MiniPointWriteDump could not be located in the dynamic link library dbghelp.dll