PDA

View Full Version : Moore's Plan

Woodrow Call
11-16-2006, 10:54 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/16022867.htm

Royals GM is waiting to land pitchers
Moore wants to get two starters in free-agency, but not until the market shakes out a bit.
By BOB DUTTON
The Kansas City Star
NAPLES, Fla. | Royals general manager Dayton Moore sounds impatient as he meets with his peers this week at a Gulf Coast resort hotel.

Moore is looking for two starting pitchers this winter to bolster a rotation that, statistics shout, ranked as baseball’s worst in 2006. Yet, he finds himself in a holding pattern.

“In this free-agent market,” he said, “my sense is that until the big boys sign, nobody signs.”

The big boys aren’t interested in the Royals.

So Moore waits.

“A guy like Barry Zito,” he said, “he doesn’t have any interest in coming to Kansas City. I wish he did. If he did, we’d be camping outside of his door. That’s just part of where it is.”

The Royals are instead examining second-tier candidates — guys such as Gil Meche and Miguel Batista. They also have interest in retaining lefty Mark Redman, chosen recently as their pitcher of the year after going 11-10 with a 5.71 ERA.

“Starting pitching needs to be our focus,” Moore said, repeating a view he emphasizes frequently. “I don’t want to come up short and lose a guy over (a lack of) dollars we have left because we were real aggressive and signed a couple of relief pitchers.”

The Royals, at this point, are allotting slots to Odalis Perez, Luke Hudson and Jorge De La Rosa. Zack Greinke will get every chance to pitch his way into the rotation, and the club plans to hold on to Runelvys Hernandez, whose salary figures to jump past $1.6 million through arbitration.

“We have to be in a position where our starting pitchers take us into the sixth and seventh innings,” Moore said. “If they don’t, we can have the best bullpen in the history of the game on paper, but they’re going to get overexposed. It just won’t work.”

That doesn’t mean the club isn’t pursuing bullpen help.

The Royals are, in fact, hoping to interest either Danys Baez or Joe Borowski by offering them the opportunity to work as a closer while other clubs want them as setup relievers.

“We have some great arms in our bullpen,” Moore said, “but we need an identity down there. Part of that identity is putting guys in roles that they’re used to, and that comes back to the starting pitching going deep into games.

“Would we love to be able to sign a pure closer? Absolutely.”

Moore and his lieutenants still envision Ambiorix Burgos, Andrew Sisco, Todd Wellemeyer and Ryan Braun as the core of a power bullpen. The offseason addition of veteran Ken Ray adds to that mix.

But it is equally clear that Burgos, Sisco and Braun — who each have options remaining — must pitch their way on to the staff in spring training. Otherwise, any or all could end up in the minors.

The Royals have already made contact with Redman’s agent, but no deal seems close. Meche, 28, is drawing substantial interest despite an 11-8 record and 4.48 ERA in 32 starts at Seattle.

Batista appears to be a fallback option for many clubs and, at 35, is less likely to draw an extended-year contract after going 11-8 with a 4.58 ERA at Arizona.

“The market is unpredictable,” Moore said. “It always is.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Royals sign 16 minor-league free agents

First baseman Mike Stodolka, a former first-round pick as a pitcher, is among 16 minor-league free agents signed by the Royals. He is batting .258 in the Hawaiian Winter League after batting .283 in 115 games at Class A High Desert.

Stodolka, 25, was the Royals’ first-round pick in 2000 and spent six seasons as an oft-injured pitcher before switching last spring to first base.

The list also includes left-hander Neal Musser, who is pitching in the Arizona Fall League after splitting time last summer at Class AA Wichita and Class AAA Omaha.

Seven of the 14 other players spent time last season in the Royals’ organization.

Strength coach gets called up to minors

The Royals promoted Ryan Stoneberg to replace Ty Hill as their minor-league strength-and-conditioning coordinator. Stoneberg spent the last five years as the organization’s Latin America strength-and-conditioning coordinator. Hill recently became the club’s major-league strength-and-conditioning coordinator

nychief
11-16-2006, 10:58 AM
hummm.. pitching? Why didn't we think of this before!

Stewie
11-16-2006, 11:00 AM
“In this free-agent market,” he said, “my sense is that until the big boys sign, nobody signs.”

The big boys aren’t interested in the Royals.

So Moore waits.

“A guy like Barry Zito,” he said, “he doesn’t have any interest in coming to Kansas City. I wish he did. If he did, we’d be camping outside of his door. That’s just part of where it is.”

WTF Moore? Isn't it your job to convince players KC is a good place to be? Maybe tell the top-notch pitchers that we're going to build around them and show them your plan. (If you have one.) Sheesh!

FringeNC
11-16-2006, 11:09 AM
I just hope we don't waste money on has-beens like Redman. We're not going to compete next year, so keep the money in the bank, and go out and get a GOOD starter when it looks like we can be in a penant race.

Fish
11-16-2006, 11:09 AM
WTF Moore? Isn't it your job to convince players KC is a good place to be? Maybe tell the top-notch pitchers that we're going to build around them and show them your plan. (If you have one.) Sheesh!

What's he gonna do? Lie to them and tell them KC really is a big-market team? Or maybe single-handedly raise the KC economy to comparative levels in order to compete with big-market teams?

Moore is trying to make the most out of what he's got to work with... and call me crazy, but I bet he has more of a grasp on what it takes than we do....

Personally, I see this as a step in the right direction....

PinkFloyd
11-16-2006, 11:29 AM
hummm.. pitching? Why didn't we think of this before!

Cause we didn't have a guy like Mr. Moore who gives a fu@k... This guy is at least caring about this organization... This will take time, but in about 2-3 years the Royals should be competitive at least...

When was the last time you ever heard a Royals boss talking baseball in November ??? He cares !!!

Sure-Oz
11-16-2006, 11:32 AM
We have to develop a winning club to get any interest, we lost 100 games no top notch pitcher is going to come here unless we offer him A-ROD money, which we don't have.

Stewie
11-16-2006, 11:34 AM
I don't think it's a small-market issue. I think it's a losing team issue. We need to convince a couple of decent free agents to come here for 2-3 years while we mix in the young talent we have (both here and coming up from the minors). That's not a lie, and hopefully the prospects will play they way we've heard they can play. His comment just sounded like a cop-out to me.

KCChiefsFan88
11-16-2006, 11:35 AM
The Royals aren't going to improve significantly until they get a competent manager

ChiTown
11-16-2006, 11:57 AM
Year 22 of the rebuilding plan continues...........

;)

HemiEd
11-16-2006, 12:14 PM

;)

I think this guy has done more in his first year than anyone any the previous 17.

How many pitchers have the Royals drafted in the last two decades?

I lack the understanding of why they need to buy second tier pitchers, just devellop the talent they have along with the young position players.

Does that sound to easy?

Sure-Oz
11-16-2006, 12:16 PM
The older pitchers are a stop gap basically and could help the team win some games. Can't throw young pitchers in there who aren't ready. We need to develop them along rather than rush them up to get shelled and lose confidence.

ChiTown
11-16-2006, 12:22 PM
I lack the understanding of why they need to buy second tier pitchers, just devellop the talent they have along with the young position players.

Does that sound to easy?

1. You don't want to rush a young pitcher that isn't ready

2. We don't have a lot of young pitchers THAT ARE ready

therefore, 2nd tier pitching is what we have to deal with until they are ready. The only way KC get's better pitching immediately, is to package some players of major talent in a trade (Gordon, Huber, Teahen, Butler, etc), but that isn't going to happen at this point.

Archie F. Swin
11-16-2006, 12:32 PM
could Hocheaver(sp?) be a second half starter?

Halfcan
11-16-2006, 12:33 PM
Royals pitcher of the year was 11-10 with 5.7 ERA-that is sad.

ChiefsCountry
11-16-2006, 12:34 PM
Or we could sign some pitchers and make sure they could be nice trade bait by halfway through season and get some more nice prospects in.

Cochise
11-16-2006, 01:08 PM

Someone might offer me a job cleaning toilets for a substantial raise over the going rate for toilet-scrubbers, but that doesn't mean I'm going to take it.

Stewie
11-16-2006, 01:09 PM
could Hocheaver(sp?) be a second half starter?

Hochevar was getting lit up in the Arizona league. He then developed shoulder problems. The last I heard the injury was no big deal.

Cochise
11-16-2006, 01:12 PM
I think Redman is a red herring. He really only pitched well in June/July last year. Too many hits with runners in scoring position, too many walks.

I don't mind us keeping him around as a veteran guy to fill out the rotation, we need those types of guys certainly. But for what he made last year, we didn't get a lot for our money by the time the year was over.

Reerun_KC
11-16-2006, 02:22 PM

;)

Sounds like Carl's and the Chief's Superbowl plan as well...

You know sometimes is sucks to be a fan of Chiefs, Royals, KU, KSU and MU...

But to be a fan of these teams you have to take Heartbreak 101 first.

thedude
11-16-2006, 03:51 PM

Actually, last month on KNBR, (local bay area radio), Eric Byrnes was doing a guest spot, and interviewed Zito. Zito said his top three choices would be San Diego, then the Cubs, then Kansas City. I imagine this is without the influence of cash, but hey, if Moore gets the OK, why not? Go for it.

Hammock Parties
11-16-2006, 03:58 PM
Actually, last month on KNBR, (local bay area radio), Eric Byrnes was doing a guest spot, and interviewed Zito. Zito said his top three choices would be San Diego, then the Cubs, then Kansas City. I imagine this is without the influence of cash, but hey, if Moore gets the OK, why not? Go for it.

it would be nice to have somebody like zito on our squad, but i think that he'd ask for too much money compared to what he can do on the mound. It'd be like dolphins getting culpepper, was good a couple years, throws like a ton of interceptions last year and breaks his leg, dolphins pick him up, totaly forgetting about how horrible he was. Zito last year i remember got rocked quite a bit, so i dont know

thedude
11-16-2006, 04:17 PM
I think the Royals need to make a statement somehow. Either this year or next, they need to sign a big name pitcher and say, Hey, we have all this talent, and we are ready to kick some ass.

Sure-Oz
11-16-2006, 06:31 PM
I think the Royals need to make a statement somehow. Either this year or next, they need to sign a big name pitcher and say, Hey, we have all this talent, and we are ready to kick some ass.
Probably likely after this coming baseball season, with the young hitters being brought up to play fulltime and possibly a young pitcher or 2.

Deberg_1990
11-16-2006, 06:35 PM
Here is some advice Moore. Whatever Detroit did to turn themselves around in 3 years, do that.

Jenson71
11-16-2006, 06:44 PM
Here is some advice Moore. Whatever Detroit did to turn themselves around in 3 years, do that.

1 Yankees $200,483,289
2 Red Sox $136,775,924
3 Mets $127,680,388
4 Astros $121,396,192
5 Cardinals $113,710,529
6 Tigers $109,417,037

Cochise
11-16-2006, 07:02 PM

:drool: :drool:

alanm
11-16-2006, 07:28 PM
Detroit uses their young pitchers. They threw them right out into the fire. We bounce them around the minors until they leave. :banghead:

KChiefs1
12-10-2006, 09:59 AM
Gordon #1 & Butler #7

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/app/news/article.jsp?ymd=20061208&content_id=148005&vkey=news_milb&fext=.jsp

Reaper16
12-10-2006, 11:03 AM
Gordon #1 & Butler #7

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/app/news/article.jsp?ymd=20061208&content_id=148005&vkey=news_milb&fext=.jsp
That was a fan vote. The real post-season top 50 prospects list has Gordon at number 2 and Butler at number 13.
http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/app/milb/news/top50/y2006_post.jsp?content=1

nychief
12-10-2006, 11:11 AM
Detroit uses their young pitchers. They threw them right out into the fire. We bounce them around the minors until they leave. :banghead:

they also bought PUDGE, MAGS and every othe Boras client.

Thig Lyfe
12-10-2006, 11:18 AM
I'm actually getting somewhat reservedly excited, in a way. In a few seasons, if the young talent develops and Moore signs a big name or two, we could be looking at upwards of 60 wins.

Sure-Oz
12-10-2006, 11:20 AM
Im pretty excited about this upcoming year with a possiblity of seeing Gordon and Butler....mainly the year after that we'll see more talent up.

KChiefs1
12-10-2006, 03:22 PM
I'm impressed that Moore has somehow talked Glass into opening his wallet.