PDA

View Full Version : Router recommendation

Frosty
11-16-2006, 10:54 AM
I know there are a lot of IT type folks here, so I was hoping someone could help out here quickly.

I am an electrical engineer and have designed a control panel that is used in vegetable storage sheds. The panel has a built in web server that is used to serve up panel status. The panels also use a UDP port to serve data to remote displays. These are often installed in remote places, with no computers in the building or complex.

In the past, we have used cheap Linksys routers into the complex. Since there are usually only a max of four panels in a complex, the built in port forwarding was adequate to access the panels from "outside" through the single static IP number (each panel has two ports, one TCP and one UDP).

We recently had 16 panels installed in a research facility. Most of the cheapo routers only allow ten port forwards. I have looked around on line, but most of the documentation doesn't mention how many ports can be forwarded. I need at least 32, though closer to 40 would be better to allow for expansion.

I don't need any other bells and whistles - no VPN, QoS, anything like that. Built in wireless would be nice (the techs access the network through wireless when they service the equipment) but that could be handled with an access point if necessary. I am hoping someone here could tell me for sure of a router that will allow that many forwards.

Thank you.

StcChief
11-16-2006, 12:30 PM
Go with Black & Decker... oops wrong router.