PDA

View Full Version : Mitch Holthus weekly talk on KXNO, 11/17/2006

htismaqe
11-17-2006, 08:30 AM
Mitch talked about the walking wounded...sounds like Tony may be back for Denver so that's good.

He said make no mistake about it:

Trent Green is the starter and there was never any question about amongst the coaches, players, or people close to the team. He said everybody wanted to talk about chemistry - the chemistry the last few weeks was due in large part to people stepping it up because of TRENT and how they felt about him. Trent is the unquestioned heart and soul of the team...

stevieray
11-17-2006, 08:33 AM
Huard said the same thing about Green last Monday.

ROYC75
11-17-2006, 08:33 AM
Maybe this will give the whole team a spark to kick it up a gear or two........

Chiefs Pantalones
11-17-2006, 08:43 AM
We'll find out how much the team thinks of him this game and the rest of the season. If we don't win down the stretch, the 'rah-rah Green is leader of men!!' won't end up meaning a thing.

Everyone has injuries, it's time for the whole team to take the diapers off and get these next two wins.

sedated
11-17-2006, 08:43 AM
Maybe this will give the whole team a spark to kick it up a gear or two........

sh!t, just spark the OLine and we'll be fine

stevieray
11-17-2006, 08:46 AM
We'll find out how much the team thinks of him this game and the rest of the season. If we don't win down the stretch, the 'rah-rah Green is leader of men!!' won't end up meaning a thing.

Everyone has injuries, it's time for the whole team to take the diapers off and get these next two wins.

so, if we lose, that is indicitive about how the team feels about Green?

:spock:

Chiefs Pantalones
11-17-2006, 08:50 AM
so, if we lose, that is indicitive about how the team feels about Green?

:spock:

I was being sarcastic...

stevieray
11-17-2006, 08:52 AM
I was being sarcastic...

hence the spock smiley... :)

DaFace
11-17-2006, 08:53 AM
This seems about as good a place as any to post the full Q&A with Trent yesterday...

-----

Q: Welcome back.

GREEN: ďItís good to be back. This is more normal than the last couple months. Itís definitely good to be back.Ē

Q: How eager have you been to get back on the field?

GREEN: ďIíve really felt good now for the last couple weeks. Iíve been pretty anxious to get back out on the field. So it was good that we finally got clearance and that everybody signed off on going back out on the field. Iím just excited that I was able to get that clearance because it has been tough these last couple weeks.Ē

Q: Did Coach Edwards tell you immediately Tuesday night that youíd be the starter?

GREEN: ďNo, at that time heíd expressed Ė very similarly to what he expressed publicly Ė that he was going to take some time and see how things unfolded. Then when I came on Wednesday we talked in the morning and I donít know what had changed in that time frame but he told me going into practice that it was my show. Just to go in and approach it like Iíve always done. Thatís really when he told me.Ē

Q: Everyone has an opinion on how you should return, whatís your opinion on the right situation to return?

GREEN: ďI feel more comfortable with the situation weíre in now where Iím going to be starting the game where you get into a rhythm and get going. Iíve never been a big fan of either splitting series or Ďyou take these two quarters and you take these two quartersí. Iíve never been a big fan of that. I like to come out of the tunnel for pregame warm-ups knowing that youíre going to be the guy and the whole mental approach that you have is one that Iím very comfortable with. I like this situation, but as far as the other way there are different ways to do it, but I like this one the best.Ē

Q: So you didnít know Tuesday night that you would be the starter?

GREEN: ďNo, because it was the same thing heíd expressed to all of you. ĎI donít know are we going to split time, or start Damon, or start youí. He wasnít real sure. We didnít know that I had clearance until then. Even though he may have had a gameplan in place, there were some factors that had to weigh in. It was probably 5:00 PM when I finally got clearance from the doctors here and then we obviously have second and third opinions. Everybody kind of weighed in and took some time during the day after everybody had seen the different tests. Thatís why I think he probably wanted to sleep on it and talk about it with the other coaches. After I came in Tuesday and talked to him about it Iím sure he met with the coaches and met with Carl (Peterson) and whoever else was involved in the decision-making. Or maybe he did it on his own. Maybe he just needed a night to sleep on it, I donít know.Ē

Q: How much of an emotional toll has it taken on you to know if you were going to be the starter or not when you came back?

GREEN: ďIt hasnít been tough because I havenít listened to it or read it or paid much attention to it. I was so focused on just trying to get healthy and preparing myself, especially the last couple weeks when I started feeling good. Because I started feeling good the last couple weeks Iíve really prepared myself like I was going to play in those games and how I would prepare a third-down package, Red Zone package, first-down package, all those different things. Thatís why when the whole situation came about I was ready to go.Ē

Q: With Damon Huard playing so well in your absence was there concern that you wouldnít get your job back when healthy?

GREEN: ďThereís always concern, especially since itís happened to me before. But I have confidence in what I do. I had confidence in myself in Ď99, that when I came back and had an opportunity to play that I would play well. It was nothing against Kurt (Warner). He played great and obviously was the league MVP. But it didnít make me think any less of myself. I think thatís something that you have to have. Itís not a cockiness, itís a confidence that as a quarterback you have to have. I didnít think any less of myself then and I donít think any less of myself now. I was just happy for Damon, I was really genuine with that. Just like I was for Kurt when he got his chance. Damon is someone who waited a long time to have an opportunity to play. For him to go out and play as well as he did when nobody had those types of expectations for him. Now he may have had them for himself. He may have thought that he was going to play that well. But I think that because it was kind of an unknown thing that it took some convincing of him for everybody else. Iím really happy for him.Ē

Q: Do you think about how youíll respond to the first hit you take?

GREEN: ďI donít really worry about it. Iíve been assured by several surgeons and doctors that Iím not at any more risk going into this game than I was going into the Cincinnati game. Because of those factors I donít anticipate doing anything differently. I feel great now. For the last few weeks Iíve felt great. So I donít anticipate any of that happening. I just plan on going out and playing and playing like Iíve always played.Ē

Q: Was there any fear from your family in returning?

GREEN: ďI think a lot of that was communication. We were very upfront with one another, my wife and I, about coming back and playing. This was from the early stages of the injury. Meeting with the doctors, she went with me to Pittsburgh see the doctors there. She went with me on the first several visits here in town to see the doctors here. The communication has always been very good between both of us and between the doctors, as well. I told her there was no way I was going to jeopardize my health based on what the doctors had told us. Itís a trust thing. Weíve been married a long time and she trusts me that Iím going to be upfront with the doctors and Iím going to be upfront with her in terms of how the symptoms are going. Now that all those have subsided and the doctors have given me complete clearance she feels very confident with it. Iím sure sheíll have her moments just because coming back after the Ď99 season, the first few times you take a hit and youíre on a surgically prepared knee and she knows all the procedures and everything, sheís like Ďget up, get up, get up.í She just wanted to see that happen. Iím sure sheíll have some of that going on the first few times I get knocked down. But I think she feels pretty confident in what Iíve told her and what the doctors have told her.Ē

Q: Did you have any doubts coming back from the knee injury in Ď99 and can you compare those thoughts to now?

GREEN: ďYou know, I didnít really and I canít really explain why because Iíve had a number of different people ask me that have had similar injuries and have asked me how I handled it. I think a lot of it at that time may have been because what I had gone through early in my career and it took me awhile to get to where I was in terms of being a starter and working my way up the ladder. When I did get hurt, I was so determined coming back that Iíve got to prove myself all over again and I think that determination took that fear out of it for me. With this set of circumstances, Iíve never come back from a concussion before, but Iíve felt so good now for the last month that I donít feel like Iím going to do anything differently. I feel like Iíve handled everything really well in practice and moving around in the pocket and having bodies flash in front of you and making reads and those kinds of things. I feel really good about that.Ē

Q: What particular aspects of the game are the hardest to get back to a level of game readiness?

GREEN: ďI think youíd have to say your timing as a quarterback, just getting your timing down with the receivers. Managing your footwork, the timing of certain routes based on your drops, three, five seven-step drops, hitches, two-hitches, sliding in the pocket, making reads. All of a sudden if something breaks down you have to step up in the pocket, slide over and make that throw. Those kinds of things. But because Iíve been doing that now for nearly a month, I feel really good about where I am right now.Ē

Q: Do you think it helps you to come back against an opponent that youíre familiar with like the Raiders?

GREEN: ďThere are a lot of the defenders that Iím familiar with and itís the same defensive coordinator that was there last year, so theyíre going to do a lot of similar things Iím sure. If you study the tape, theyíre a good defense. Thatís the thing thatís been keeping them in all their games is there defense. If you look at the Pittsburgh game, thatís what won the game. They scored two touchdowns on defense. Theyíre playing really well on that side of the ball. Right now thatís what theyíre leaning on as a team. Weíre just going to have to play well as a team. Weíre just going to have to play well as an offense and have a good team effort. Has it changed my preparation just because I know some of their personnel better than others? I donít think so.Ē

Q: Were you hoping that your return would fall on a home game?

GREEN: ďProbably my family was hoping that. You know, I just wanted to get back as soon as I could whether it was home or away was fine with me. As soon as I could get clearance I wanted to go. Without knowing for sure, Iím sure from a family standpoint theyíre glad instead of watching it on TV and having those feelings at that time.Ē

Q: How are TE Jason Dunnís hands?

GREEN: ďGood. You know I was with the Redskins in the mid-í90s when Jason was with the Eagles. I talked to him about it all the time. Iím like, ĎI donít know how you transformed into this great blocking tight end. I remember you just tearing us up when you were with Philly and taking the middle of the field like Tony (Gonzalez) does, running over safeties and doing great things. Throughout his career I think heís developed some knee injuries and those kinds of things so heís developed into the player he is. But heís definitely got it in him to be a weapon in the passing game. But we have some fun with it because we have some of that old NFC East rivalry-thing going. Heís got some ability, itís just kind of been hidden for awhile.Ē

Hoover
11-17-2006, 09:33 AM
any update on Papa Johns Pizza?

the Talking Can
11-17-2006, 09:44 AM
Trent Green is 100% awesome.

htismaqe
11-17-2006, 09:57 AM
any update on Papa Johns Pizza?

No clue...as soon as I heard him say "pizza" I changed the station...

tomahawk kid
11-17-2006, 10:15 AM
No clue...as soon as I heard him say "pizza" I changed the station...

Did he give any mentioned of Hali's likelihood to play?

htismaqe
11-17-2006, 10:25 AM
Did he give any mentioned of Hali's likelihood to play?

No, but he said DJ definitely will not play.

FringeNC
11-17-2006, 10:38 AM
Trent Green is the starter and there was never any question about amongst the coaches, players, or people close to the team. He said everybody wanted to talk about chemistry - the chemistry the last few weeks was due in large part to people stepping it up because of TRENT and how they felt about him. Trent is the unquestioned heart and soul of the team...

The above statement is how I feel, but it seems Herm waffled a little:

GREEN: ďNo, because it was the same thing heíd expressed to all of you. ĎI donít know are we going to split time, or start Damon, or start youí. He wasnít real sure. We didnít know that I had clearance until then. Even though he may have had a gameplan in place, there were some factors that had to weigh in. It was probably 5:00 PM when I finally got clearance from the doctors here and then we obviously have second and third opinions. Everybody kind of weighed in and took some time during the day after everybody had seen the different tests. Thatís why I think he probably wanted to sleep on it and talk about it with the other coaches. After I came in Tuesday and talked to him about it Iím sure he met with the coaches and met with Carl (Peterson) and whoever else was involved in the decision-making. Or maybe he did it on his own. Maybe he just needed a night to sleep on it, I donít know.Ē

Oh well, guess it doesn't really matter. Just glad Herm made the right decision. Now if the cable companies and NFL can get their act together so I can watch Trent lead the Chiefs to victory against the Broncos on Thanksgiving!

the Talking Can
11-17-2006, 10:39 AM
Trent radiates confidence.

Just wish Tony were playing...I fear for our offense with out him regardless of QB...

FAX
11-17-2006, 10:40 AM
Great interview with Trent. It's nice to have a classy, intelligent guy for a quarterback.

Thanks for posting, Mr. DaFace.

FAX

htismaqe
11-17-2006, 11:34 AM
The above statement is how I feel, but it seems Herm waffled a little:

Oh well, guess it doesn't really matter. Just glad Herm made the right decision. Now if the cable companies and NFL can get their act together so I can watch Trent lead the Chiefs to victory against the Broncos on Thanksgiving!

Mitch mentioned the thing about Herm waffling, said Herm let the incessant questioning get to him...

NewChief
11-17-2006, 11:38 AM
Mitch mentioned the thing about Herm waffling, said Herm let the incessant questioning get to him...

Yeah. Other thing: Herm has no loyalty/experience with Trent. I mean, they met in March or whenever. I think they get along great, and I know Herm respects Trent. That being said, Trent's only played 2.5 quarters for Herm. I'm sure it was easy for Herm to get some niggling doubts in his mind.

Lzen
11-17-2006, 12:54 PM
GREEN: ďI donít really worry about it. Iíve been assured by several surgeons and doctors that Iím not at any more risk going into this game than I was going into the Cincinnati game.
Q: Was there any fear from your family in returning?

That is fantastic.

blueballs
06-18-2007, 04:02 PM
Mitch talked about the walking wounded...sounds like Tony may be back for Denver so that's good.

He said make no mistake about it:

not so much

Reerun_KC
06-18-2007, 04:07 PM
Why was Tony the Walking wounded? Or should we of asked Huard?

Count Alex's Losses
06-18-2007, 04:16 PM
Why did you bump this thread? Or should we ask Logical?