PDA

View Full Version : Jim Barnes latest artice - 11/17

Scaga
11-17-2006, 11:47 AM
Excellent as always...
Wish he could submit more to kcchiefs.com

BARNES: OBSERVATIONS FROM AFAR
Nov 17, 2006, 8:40:24 AM by Jim Barnes

1. The Chiefs Nation owes Damon Huard a huge bundle of gratitude. When Trent Green went down during that first game, I truly thought the season was over. And Iím guessing that sentiment was pretty much unanimous amongst the faithful. What Huard did was so far above expectations that itís silly. And if the Chiefs make the playoffs, his play will have had as much to do with it, if not more, than anything. Thank you, Damon Huard.

2. That said, count this fan as one who is glad to see Trent Green back in the huddle. Weíre 5-4 without him, but could just as easily be 7-2 with him. I count the Denver and Miami games as those that might have been different with Green at the helm. We would most certainly have scored more points against Denver. And even with the banged up offensive line, Greenís experience would have made a big difference in Miami. He doesnít hold the ball as long and is quicker to spot receivers. Thatís no knock on Huard Ė itís just that Trent Green has played longer, and is, frankly, the better quarterback.

3. These Chiefs are very close to having all the pieces necessary to dominate week in and week out. A mauler in the middle of the defensive line and a hair-raising, scary wide receiver would just about do the trick Ė assuming the rest of the pieces get re-signed to new deals before becoming free agents (dammit Carl, get something done with Tony G. and Kawika Mitchell so we can quit biting our fingernails).

4. Some will note that I didnít include offensive linemen in that recipe for success. I think a lot of the pieces are in place Ė even with the nearly certain retirement of Will Shields. This will be a solid offensive line with some tweaking here and there. But we arenít going to find another Road Grader Roaf. They just donít come around that often. But the makings are there now for a solid line. A good free agent pickup or draft choice on the second day would be icing on the cake.

5. Something tells me that Brody Croyle will be the backup next year. And it wonít be because Damon Huard slipped on the depth chart.

6. The Chiefsí two young defensive ends are going to terrorize quarterbacks for a long time to come Ė especially if they have a monster in the middle of the line (whereís Chester McGlockton when you need him?) to enhance their efforts. Jarred Allen and Tamba Hali were draft day steals. Ditto for Derrick Johnson. And there are a couple of safeties taken this year that look promising as well. The future on defense is very bright. And Iím talking about the near future. We could see a Top 5 defense as soon as next year. The Chiefs draft day steals could be stealing a lot of victories for a long time to come.

7. The Chester McGlockton comment was sarcasm for those of you who just lost your breakfast, lunch or dinner. Or a little slow. But I apologize anyway.

8. That Larry Johnson guy is pretty funny. The Herm Edwards imitation before the press conference was side-splitting. He runs with the football pretty well, too.

9. Priest Holmes seems all but forgotten in this part of the country. But I really wish heíd return this year. Just think about the dynamic he could bring to both the running and passing games. And Michael Bennett as the third running back on the depth chart? Thatís crazy. I do believe in ghosts.

10. I think it is highly possible that the Chiefs lose only one more game this year Ė in San Diego. Not sure what 11-5 would mean in the division, but it would certainly guarantee playoffs. And these Chiefs certainly wouldnít be a wild card team to take for granted. Our new coach has done a terrific job this year. Not perfect. But terrific. And I think this team will only get better now that its on-the-field leader is back in the huddle.

But then Iíve been guilty of wishful thinking in this space before. Somewhere in all of this horse manure weíve been digging through since the last Chiefs Super Bowl, we have to find that pony.

The opinions offered in this column do not necessarily reflect those of the Kansas City Chiefs.

Stewie
11-17-2006, 11:51 AM
Good read. Thanks for the post. I almost choked when he mentioned Chester in the middle of the DLine, but he cleared things up. Whew!

Hydrae
11-17-2006, 11:59 AM
Always enjoy reading Jim's articles. :thumb:

Halfcan
11-17-2006, 12:04 PM
Nice one-I like the Dammit Carl-Barnes must read the Planet.

Scaga
11-17-2006, 12:06 PM
Nice one-I like the Dammit Carl-Barnes must read the Planet.

Used to be "IdahoJim"...
Still is as far as I know.

StcChief
11-17-2006, 12:23 PM
Nice.

Optimism that the Chief faithful are sure in need of now.

A road grader would be a welcome sight, I'd settle for Big Bob cat.

Lzen
11-17-2006, 12:30 PM
Great article.

I wonder what he means by this.

5. Something tells me that Brody Croyle will be the backup next year. And it wonít be because Damon Huard slipped on the depth chart.

A. Green retires and we re-sign Huard and he's the starter

B. Green doesn't retire and we don't re-sign Huard

C. We sign or draft another QB

Stewie
11-17-2006, 12:35 PM
Great article.

I wonder what he means by this.

A. Green retires and we re-sign Huard and he's the starter

B. Green doesn't retire and we don't re-sign Huard

C. We sign or draft another QB

I'm assuming he thinks Huard will be gone. Someone may offer him a job as starter.

Count Zarth
11-17-2006, 12:37 PM
Who is Brody Croyle? You need an editor.

the Talking Can
11-17-2006, 02:07 PM
nice read....I hope we can overcome the absence of Tony and Waters....Tony is what allowed us to win with a sub-par core of WRs....think of the huge plays he made in the last 3 weeks....now think of him on the bench...ughh.......

we need everyone healthy by next week....

Baby Lee
11-17-2006, 02:14 PM
Or a little slow.
Subject! Verb! Stat!

Phobia
11-17-2006, 02:47 PM
We should get that guy to write for Warpaint.

Idahojim
11-17-2006, 02:56 PM
I'm still around as Idahojim. Dumb Idahojim for sending the unedited version - also spelled Jared with 2 Rs. Don't post much here, but read it every day. Appreciate the kind words. This forum is always good for a laugh or two. And some good football thoughts. Like it much better than the one at the Star. Those guys take themselves way too seriously. And that Voyager guy ..... hoo boy.

Cheers.

J.B.

KCwolf
11-17-2006, 03:16 PM
A very enjoyable read....great article.
Chiefs by 20 vs. the Raiders!!

the Talking Can
11-17-2006, 03:18 PM

ouch

now that is an insult...

Deberg_1990
11-17-2006, 03:44 PM

Hes probably too good for that gig.

scott free
11-17-2006, 06:58 PM
I enjoyed that, though i may be a wee bit more concerned about the future of the O line than Jim.

I do find it very cool that some of these media guys think enough of the Planet to check in once in awhile.

A great way to take the pulse of the fans.

The Planet RULES!!!

mikey23545
11-17-2006, 10:07 PM

Well, at least you'd have one decent writer then....