PDA

View Full Version : We will draft a RB in round # 1

Cannibal
01-17-2001, 11:26 AM
I've resigned myself to this fact and I am now comfortable with it eventhough I thought Trich deserved a shot.

Now the question is, who will it be?

If Vermiel wants to run the Ram's offense here in KC, it's going to have to be a versatile RB in the mold of Marshall Faulk or Edgerrin James. I see no one like that in this draft. The closest guy we're going to find is Lamont Jordan. He is fast and can run and catch the ball out of the backfield. We may have to settle on a another RB and go with a more conventional style offense. Besides I have serious doubts that Grbac can run a Ram's style offense.

However, these are the RB's I like:

Ladanian Tomlinson
Rudi Johnson
Travis Henry
Kevin Barlow
Lamont Jordan
Anthony Thomas

Whatever happens, I hope like hell that we don't draft another 5'10", 200 lb. Midget. I am sick and tired of wasting picks on those types of players. We need to draft a big, fast RB that has moves.

My preference would be Tomlinson, because you know for a fact that he can carry the ball 30 times a game and still hold up. Plus, his production is just incredible. Even if he did play in an option offense, there is no overlooking his production.

I think I'd be happy with any of the above mentioned RB's though.

http://draftnotebook.com/halfbacks.htm

Cannibal
01-17-2001, 11:32 AM
Some of those RB's could be had later in the 1st round though. So if we see one we like later in the 1st, I hope we trade down to get an extra pick and still land our RB.

58Forever
01-17-2001, 11:38 AM
I'd rather see Morgan come to KC...and then maybe we could trade up or get a good RB in later rounds or God forbid, get one in FA....

Cannibal
01-17-2001, 11:41 AM
Morgan will be drafted by San Fran. it's pretty much a given at this point.

Mi_chief_fan
01-17-2001, 11:43 AM
I wouldn't rule out a DT either, Cannibal. Championship teams usually have 2 things in common:
1) They run the ball
2) They stop the run.

The Chiefs didn't do either last year. Both issues need to be addressed.

58Forever
01-17-2001, 11:44 AM
Well, it was pretty doubtful he'd make it to us anyway, but hey, a guy can dream...

At least one thing is sure, if we do draft a RB...it won't be some Ron Dayne looking mother ****er...as you said, it will have to be an all purpose back like Faulk or James...sadly, I don't follow college ball that close so I'll take your word about the RBs you listed....

Cannibal
01-17-2001, 11:50 AM
MI Chief,

I am hoping that Fatafehi will be available in the 3rd. It's probably a pipe dream though.

[Edited by Cannibal on 01-17-2001 at 12:56 PM]

Cannibal
01-17-2001, 11:57 AM
Another hope of mine is that Torrence Marshall, the OLB out of OU is available in the 3rd.

1) Ladainian Tomlison
3) Mario Fatafehi
3) Torrence Marshall

ROYC75
01-17-2001, 12:07 PM
Speed wise,we have a back now named HALL,I feel he can't take the punishment. Any chance he could bulk up another 20 lbs and still have the speed?

Just a thought!

Cannibal
01-17-2001, 12:08 PM
Hall will probably be cut before this coming training camp comes to an end.

ROYC75
01-17-2001, 12:11 PM
I don't know what Halls problems are,he has the speed that no LB can cover,if he was bigger,he could be da man!

Packfan
01-17-2001, 12:57 PM
Cannibal,

First of all, I love the Peterson/Hitler and the Chester pictures that you continue to post. Love em. You and I have been saying the same thing for a year and a half about Chester. Finally the others are seeing Chester for what he really is: A selfish, overwieght, over paid, malcontent.
It is no coincidence that as soon as he left the Raiders, they turned it around. We all know what has happened to the Chiefs since his arrival and 16-0 prediction. The best move Jon Gruden made was to convince Al Davis to unload Chester. And to unload his attitude and cap # to a division rival is even better.

Anyway, what do you think about Michael Bennett? He has world class speed, hits the holes hard, doesnt fumble, and comes to play every game. He can catch the ball too. If he is available, the Chiefs should draft him.

ROYC75
01-17-2001, 01:05 PM
Ken

I don't knopw this Bennet kid,but anyone with the name of Bennet scares the hell out of me!:eek:

KC Jones
01-17-2001, 01:16 PM
#12 is too high but I like Kevin Barlow (Pittsburgh). He has a more complete package than almost any other RB IMO - speed, power, hands, etc. We could conceivably trade down in the first and pick him up.

milkman
01-17-2001, 01:26 PM
Cannibal,
Torrance Marshall will be a late 1st rounder. No way he falls to the 3rd Rd.
At the risk of being redundant, I'll repeat myself.
I'd like to see the Chiefs trade out of the 12 spot to the 17-21 spot and pick up a 2nd round pick. Take Marshall in that 17-21 spot, and take a RB with that 2nd rounder. I've seen a couple mocks that have Rudy Johnson falling into the mid to late 2nd round. A couple of the other top RBs are behind him.

Cannibal
01-17-2001, 01:50 PM
Packfan, thanks for the props about the sigs., but I don't know if I share your admiration for Mike Bennett. I know he's a great college back. But I think he may me too small for my liking. I think he may be another Gregg Hill.

Lightning fast, but small with no moves. He will probably crushed routinely at the line of scrimmage.

milkman,

I am almost positive the Chiefs will take a RB in round 1 with the # 12 pick.

I haven't heard about Marshall going in the first. Maybe he will and if so, I like your draft scenario.

Mi_chief_fan
01-17-2001, 01:58 PM
Cannibal,
You hit the nail on the head with the Bennett-Hill comparisons. A couple of things about him that I question, as a big 10 follower:
1) He plays great on turf, but seems to slow a bit on grass. Then again, maybe it was that great Wolverine defense. ;)
2) He plays behind a MAMMOTH offensive line at Wisconsin, and he usually gets a pretty good surge from them, something the Chiefs o-line doesn't seem to do.

Of course, we could be wrong, and he turns out to be the next Ahman Green.

Cannibal
01-17-2001, 01:59 PM
One thing I like about the Vermiel hiring is that he WILL end RBBC. He's already stated as much.

That's the reason I think they will take a RB in the first round. Because that would be cheaper than signing a free agent and with their cap problems, they need cheap.

milkman
01-17-2001, 02:00 PM
Cannibal,
You are probably right. And I'd bet whichever RB they take with that #12 pick will be a reach that early in the draft.
I'd rather get Marshall, and take my chances with T-Rich in the backfield.

Cannibal
01-17-2001, 02:16 PM
Luckily,

There are a boat load of very good RB's, THE TARGET IS BIG THIS TIME!

Let's just hope Peterson doesn't miss it.

milkman
01-17-2001, 02:33 PM
When you mention target, in reference to CP and drafting a RB, that old saying about hitting the side of a barn comes to mind.

Mi_chief_fan
01-17-2001, 02:34 PM
Cannibal,
I think the tandem of Kuharich/Stiles are in charge of drafting AND personell. From what i've read, Carl will only be dealing with the 'business' aspects, such as contracts, salary cap, etc.

If so, rest at ease. Stiles and Kuharich both have outstanding reputations.

DaWolf
01-17-2001, 03:31 PM
I still say sign Charlie Garner if he tests the market and can be had at a reasonable price, and draft defense...

soliday
01-17-2001, 03:40 PM
Bennett is the best back in the draft. He's the one back worth moving up for. My greatest fear for the Chiefs this draft is that Bennett goes before McAllister, and the Chiefs end up with what I think will be the biggest bust of this draft--Deuce McAllister.

Soliday

NaptownChief
01-17-2001, 05:24 PM
Soliday,

I have to agree with you about McCallister...I am very leery of him...He is a paper giant but if he has all of this tremendous physical size, speed and skill then why the hell is he not dominating the college ranks? Bennett has a huge upside buy is raw due to a lack of experience...James Jackson form Miami is the complete back with very explosive speed....Kevan Barlow of Pitt is moving up very fast. At 6'1" amd 235 lbs he will go in the top 20 if he can run a 4.5 40 or better at the combine...And Travis Henry will stay in the 1st round if he 4.5 or faster. Those are the 4 that I am looking at. Dan Alexander is also moving up fast...He is considered one diminsional because he is a Nebraska I back but with that tremdous size and speed combo somebody will take a chance on him early in the 2nd round.

Cannibal
01-17-2001, 06:28 PM
Dan Alexander is too slow and Michael Bennett from what I've seen is a straight line runner. If you're going to be a straight line runner, you had better big and you had better be able to break tackles. I have my doubt that he'll be able to do this consistantly in the NFL.

But we shall see.

Carl says he likes Ladainian Tomlinson, but that could just be a smoke screen.

soliday
01-17-2001, 06:32 PM
I think Bennett is only going to get better. But the thing I find really intriguing is that if he's in the Chiefs backfield in a two-back set with Tony, Bennett can be motioned out wide and suddenly you have Derrick Alexander (4.4), Sylvester Morris (4.4), Bennett (4.3), and Tony G as receivers, while Tony runs a 4.4 and has to be respected as a running threat. Somewhere in there, I don't care whose defense we play, there's a mismatch.

Soliday

Cannibal
01-17-2001, 06:35 PM
I very seriously doubt that Slymo runs a 4.4, from what I've seen he's a lot slower than Alexander.

He had trouble gaining separation last year.

Mark M
01-17-2001, 07:16 PM
If McAllister wasn't so injury prone I think he would be a perfect fit. But with that question mark, I'd take Tomlinson, option system or not. Catching an option isn't exactly like catching a pass, but it does take the same soft hands and same concentration. He'd just have to learn to run routes, and that is a skill that can be taught. He also has the size, speed, moves and proven durability.

MM
~~Votes for the frog.

[Edited by Mark M on 01-17-2001 at 08:20 PM]

DaWolf
01-17-2001, 07:24 PM
The Cat has to learn how to get seperation off the line a lot better in addition to running routes, because frankly everyone in the NFL is pretty fast. It all comes down to how you use the speed. Missing training camp obviously did not help him at all...

NaptownChief
01-18-2001, 07:00 AM
Can,

Don't be fooled by Dan Alexander's size...He runs a 4.5 40...

Cannibal
01-18-2001, 08:57 AM
I am listening to ESPN Radio this morning and Mel Kiper has stated that L. Tomlinson has been DOMINANT in Senior Bowl practices and has shown, [so far] that he can catch the ball out of the backfield.

NaptownChief
01-18-2001, 09:03 AM
I guess it is all in the eye of the beholder cause I read one report that said he looked pretty bad...Running up to the holes with happy feet, dancing and not hitting the holes very well...I still haven't seen enough him to pass complete judgement but I would not want him unless we got him after the 1st round.

ROYC75
01-18-2001, 10:15 AM
Nap.....Canibal.....

IMHO,I don't see a back in the draft as eqaul as Falk or James were there 1st yr. Duece is to injury prone,Tomlinson fumbles to much and gets bouced around inside,Jordan I don't know anything about.

Now Henry,I do,living here in KY ,got to see him alot.He has enough speed and the strength.His size he has he uses well when about to be tackled.He gets the extra yrds by his decisions he makes when he is about to be tackled.he is tougher than most give him credit to be and has better hands than most give him credit!

Don't know the other in the draft at all,but IMHO,this kid will serve us well on a 1 back set. The 2 back set would be awesome with T-rich as FB !

ROYC75
01-18-2001, 10:21 AM
Nap

I like Morgan too,if he is there,grab him sign Garner as FA ! IMHO,if Morgan is not available,grab Henry ! Too gunshy of McAlister !

[Edited by ROYC75 on 01-18-2001 at 08:20 PM]

NaptownChief
01-18-2001, 10:41 AM
Roy,

I agree...Still want Morgan badly and I think there is plenty of depth at RB that we can move around and address that later in the draft if we can't sign a Garner...

I don't like guys like McCallister who allegedly have all of these superior physical skills yet it does not show up on the football field...Kinda like Dan "Big Duddy" Wilkenson who the Bungles took #1 overall yet I never once saw he dominate a single college game...

Cannibal
01-18-2001, 10:42 AM
It remains to be seen if Travis Henry is worth the # 12 overall pick.

I do like him. But I'm not sure he's going to go that high.

The combines will sort some of this out.

Like I said though, I like any of these backs [so far]:

Tomlinson
Jordan
Henry
A. Thomas
R. Johnson
Kevin Barlow

No more Gregg Hills, Mike Cloud's or Rashawn Shehee's PLEASE!!!!!!!!

NaptownChief
01-18-2001, 10:47 AM
Can,

I like your list...I would exchange James Jackson for Rudi Johnson and Anthony Thomas...Those two guys are very high 4.6 low 4.7 40 guys...I would rather have TRich playing RB than those two...They make Ron Dayne look quick...

Mark M
01-18-2001, 11:01 AM
I think we all agree that an RB needs to be selected at some point, but don't put too much emphasis on 40 times ... there is a big difference between timed speed and game speed.

Not having watched too much of some of these guys listed, I'm really looking forward to the Sr. Bowl.

jl--
LMAO at the pic and tag line!

MM
~~Still likes the frog. http://cwm.ragesofsanity.com/s/net3/krakra.gif

NaptownChief
01-18-2001, 11:03 AM
The Giants didn't put too much stock in 40 times either and they found themselves playing their 2nd rounder from a few years ago much more than their 1st rounder from this past year because of it...

Cannibal
01-18-2001, 11:43 AM
I've watched Rudi Johnson and the A-Train play more than once and I know the run faster than Ron Dayne and they definately run faster than 4.7.

James Jackson is too small. I am tired of these 200 pounders.

Our new RB should way at least 225 and run at least a 4.5.

All the RB's I listed should fit that bill.

Mark M
01-18-2001, 11:44 AM
jl--
Good point. But Dayne never had good game speed either. He reminds me of Okoye with better hands but fewer moves. Scary thought ... :eek: I just think people put too much emphasis on it sometimes. Of course, this is coming from a guy who, while trying out for his high school soccer team, had to be timed in the 40 with a calendar. http://cwm.ragesofsanity.com/s/tweetz/spock.gif

I still like your idea of getting an LB with our #1 and getting an RB in the later rounds, especially with as much depth as there is at the position. While I like Tomlinson, he did have a tendency to fumble, so I think he will fall deeper in the draft. But that fault can be worked out of him. Any word on who's going after him?

MM
~~Beginning to see why Kiper's job is so hard.

NaptownChief
01-18-2001, 11:47 AM
225 lbs with 4.5 or better eliminates just about everyone except Fred Taylor and Jamal Lewis...

Based on one resource that I use the only guys that meet that criteria is Correll Buckhalter and Dan Alexander of Nebraska.

Cannibal
01-18-2001, 12:12 PM
You're correct.

That should be 220lbs minimum, low 4.6 minimum.

Dan Alexander does not run a 4.5 by the way.

NaptownChief
01-18-2001, 12:19 PM
accorrding to this and a couple other sources he does:

http://www.draftnotebook.com/fullbacks.htm

Cannibal
01-18-2001, 12:25 PM
Maybe he does, but why are all the draft services projecting him as a FB and that he'll be drafted in the 3rd or 4th round?

NaptownChief
01-18-2001, 12:28 PM
Not sure...They alway try to classify RB's that are bigger than 240lbs as Fullbacks...

My guess is he will move up into the late 1st or high 2nd round if he shows any kind of hands at the combine...I like him but would not want to gamble that high of a pick at this point...But like you said, the combine is going to shake a lot of this $hit out....