PDA

View Full Version : SUNFLOWER SHOWDOWN PREDICTION THREAD

ChiTown
11-17-2006, 04:13 PM
Let's hear your thoughts and predictions on the

KANSAS STATE VS. KANSAS FOOTBALL GAME
SATURDAY NOVEMBER 18TH AT 2:30PM ON FSN

I'll start. I think KSU is on a big time roll right now. I think they'll win this game, but it will be a tough contest the whole way through. KU has a VERY good run D and O. They lack the same on both sides of the ball with the Pass. Kansas State seems to have found their offensive stride in the last 4 games. However, their D has looked horribly inconsistent, especially with their tackling in the last 2 games.

I think Kansas is going to POUND the ball at the Cat's with Cornish. They have run the ball effectively on just about everybody, and this game won't be any different. Their key is to execute on 3rd downs and play 4 qtrs of football - something they haven't done too often. KSU will need to find some balance. I don't think you'll see a UT type game plan where they throw the ball on almost every down. They need to get Patton and Johnson involved early, and throw when necessary. The KSU OL has REALLY come together in the last 4 games.

Both KU and KSU have a ton to play for this Saturday. I personally think KU needs 2 wins to get a Bowl invite, and KSU has a decent shot at the Alamo Bowl if they win this last game. Not to mention, I think a KSU win (especially a wide margin victory) could spell a problem for Mangino and his tenure at KU.

This should be a wildly entertaining game, that I believe will go back and forth a couple of times. Weather is supposed to be pretty decent, and Memorial Stadium is supposed to be full (probably 8K+ KSU fans). All that said:

KSU 30
KU 24

GO :ksu: !!!!

JBucc
11-17-2006, 04:15 PM
KSU-0
KU-0

A tornado destoys the stadium before the game and it is declared a tie.

Saulbadguy
11-17-2006, 04:17 PM
K-State 34
KU 21

Lots of offense through the air.

KCFalcon59
11-17-2006, 04:39 PM
I predict one of the coaches will make a stupid coaching decision that will cost their team the game.

Saulbadguy
11-17-2006, 04:40 PM
I predict one of the coaches will make a stupid coaching decision that will cost their team the game.
"Bold and Daring" or "Dollar signs"?

KCFalcon59
11-17-2006, 04:42 PM
"Bold and Daring" or "Dollar signs"?

Yeah, those guys!

KCFalcon59
11-17-2006, 04:43 PM
I am just hoping for a great game. That Freeman kid is going to be special. Wish KU had someone with his potential.

DJJasonp
11-17-2006, 04:44 PM
The Fatman 6
Wildcats 0

(danishes before the game)

The game...KU in a squeaker 26-23

Frazod
11-17-2006, 04:50 PM
Mildcat fans aren't nearly as obnoxious as Gayhawk fans. So go KSU. But it's not like I care all that much.

PinkFloyd
11-17-2006, 04:54 PM
Same KU game as always.... KU will be up by 21 going into the fourth quarter and still lose by 3 or 7...

"Fat"Gino goes balistic and heads to the greasiest burger joint in town and scarfs down 10 double cheeseburgers...

28-13 KU going into the 4th quarter....

Final Score: KSU 37 KU 31

Mangino will request that he's allowed a "food allowance" be added in his contract at the end of the year... KU denies this request, therefore he's fired... Mangino then goes on to open his own burger joint and makes millions !!!!

HolmeZz
11-17-2006, 05:04 PM
Gayest rivalry nickname ever.

chubychecker
11-17-2006, 05:11 PM
KSU 31
KU 10

HC_Chief
11-17-2006, 05:27 PM
31-28, KU wins it

KSU will throw for a ton of yards and 4 TDs. Three of which will come in the 4th quarter.

KU pounds the ball down the mildkittens' throat and holds them to less than 50 yards rushing.

redbrian
11-17-2006, 05:54 PM
K-State in a walk not even close

Saulbadguy
11-17-2006, 07:25 PM
Gayest poster ever.

KcMizzou
11-17-2006, 07:51 PM
KSU 24
KU 16

Cochise
11-17-2006, 08:16 PM
KSU 31
Kansas 10

ChiTown
11-17-2006, 08:45 PM

Spoken like a true phag

alanm
11-17-2006, 10:20 PM
31-28, KU wins it

KSU will throw for a ton of yards and 4 TDs. Three of which will come in the 4th quarter.

KU pounds the ball down the mildkittens' throat and holds them to less than 50 yards rushing.
They'll probably take Nebraska's game plan and pound the rock and play keep away from KSU's offense. Loooooooooong time consuming drives. If Kansas can run the ball with any consistancy and play some solid D I don't see any reason why they can't beat KState at home.

HolmeZz
11-17-2006, 11:19 PM
Gayest poster ever.

You wish.

cdcox
11-17-2006, 11:26 PM
I'm predicting more people will watch the Michigan - Ohio State game.

KILLER_CLOWN
11-17-2006, 11:33 PM
Fatgino's 42
wishwestillhad snyder's 3

Fatgino eats half of the purple team mistaking them for glazed jelly donuts so the mildcats forfeit from being demoralised and half eaten.

SnapDogg
11-18-2006, 01:48 AM
If KSU plays like they did last week I don't see how the Hawkz can keep up. With that said GO HAWKZ!
Mangina is out running hills as we speak and will be down to 473 by game time!
I think it's BS that people would want Mang out if they lose this game or heaven forbid against the @$$ lickin Tiggz, I think hez doing a decent job with the program, were'nt the KSU "faithful" wanting
their coaches neck about a month ago? Now hez sliced bread!
GO HAWWWWWWWWWKKKKZZZZZZZZ!

Tactical Funky
11-18-2006, 02:35 AM
I believe KU will win by a touchdown after Cornish has a productive day and our D actually makes some plays in passing situations.

Anything goes in a rivalry game, though - and KU needs this win more than KSU.

Tactical Funky
11-18-2006, 02:38 AM
Spoken like a true phag
:shake:

Spott
11-18-2006, 07:35 AM
KU 23
KSU 19

Spott
11-18-2006, 07:37 AM

That is kind of ghey for a football game. Flowers don't belong anywhere in football, except for maybe the Rose Bowl.

ArrowheadHawk
11-18-2006, 08:15 AM
i predict

KSU 14
KU 31

ArrowheadHawk
11-18-2006, 08:16 AM
That is kind of ghey for a football game. Flowers don't belong anywhere in football, except for maybe the Rose Bowl.
what should they call it ??? the governors cup?? as if a governor has anything to do with football

Saulbadguy
11-18-2006, 08:39 AM
Mildcat fans aren't nearly as obnoxious as Gayhawk fans. So go KSU. But it's not like I care all that much.
Is that a challenge?

KevB
11-18-2006, 09:43 AM
28-17 KSU

KSU's offense continues to roll, and they do a good enough job on Cornish that KU isn't able to dictate the pace of the game.

ChiTown
11-18-2006, 09:54 AM
:shake:

Did I hurt your feelings?

Lzen
11-18-2006, 11:16 AM
I am just hoping for a great game. That Freeman kid is going to be special. Wish KU had someone with his potential.

KU may have someone with the potential in Kerry Meier and Todd Reesing. Obviously, Freeman is better right now than any of those 2. Of course, it's hard to tell about Meier because that dude can't stay healthy. Mangino has luck like Herm Edwards. Can't keep a QB healthy for a full season. :banghead:

KSU 21
KU 31

Lzen
11-18-2006, 11:19 AM
Is that a challenge?

I take it frazod has never met you.
:hmmm:

:p

Frazod
11-18-2006, 12:55 PM
I take it frazod has never met you.

:D Yeah, I've met him several times. And he's certainly no Skip.

Lzen
11-18-2006, 02:25 PM
Published Friday, November 17, 2006

By Tim Bisel
The Capital-Journal

MANHATTAN -- It really isn't difficult to put a finger on why Kansas is favored to win Saturday's 104th version of the Sunflower Showdown.

Intangibles, man, intangibles.

Sure, Kansas State has won three straight and is coming off one of its best victories in school history, a 45-42 triumph over then-No. 4 Texas that stunned the college football world. Yeah, the Wildcats are bowl eligible, receiving votes in both major polls and riding a wave of momentum unseen in Manhattan since 2003.

But they're playing KU. And KU (5-5, 2-4 Big 12) is battling for its postseason life. At home. On Senior Day.

With so much for the Jayhawks riding on Saturday's 2:30 p.m. clash, doesn't it only make sense that they have been installed as two-point favorites?

No. Not to K-State sophomore Ian Campbell, a defensive end who clearly is at odds with the oddsmakers.

"If KU's the favorite, whatever," he said. "We've been picked to lose before. Underdogs, I don't care. I know what's going to happen when we go into KU, and I'm not worried about it."

So, Ian, what's going to happen?

"We'll just let the scoreboard (tell) the tale," he said coyly.

Campbell might be right, you know. After all, intangibles come in a wide variety, and K-State (7-4, 4-3 Big 12) has more than just the motivation of being an underdog on its side.

For starters, the opponent is the Jayhawks. That is inspiration enough for the 50 or so Wildcats who hail from the Sunflower State.

"Nobody over there likes us, and I don't think anyone over here likes them," said junior guard Logan Robinson, of Agra. "It's definitely a huge game for us."

"This is a game that has been marked on our schedule all year long," said K-State coach Ron Prince, who grew up in Junction City. "It doesn't take a whole lot to know -- if you're from this area or on this team -- the kind of significance that is going to be paid to the game."

The Wildcats are paying even more attention to this one because they want to carry that winning momentum into the postseason and, perhaps, improve their bowl standing.

Closely related to that, they also hope to prove they can avoid a Texas-sized hangover from Saturday's shocker. As impressive as K-State was in racking up 45 points against a Longhorns defense that came in yielding only 15, the Wildcats understand they are only as good as their next performance.

"It's a nice win, and it will take us a long ways," Prince said. "It is one that we will remember, but that one doesn't have anything to do with this one."

"We had a big win last week," said senior defensive tackle Blake Seiler, of Goddard, "but I don't think it'll mean as much if we lose this week."

Two years ago, the Wildcats lost to the Jayhawks in Memorial Stadium, 31-28. Entering that game, K-State had won 11 straight in the series. After the contest, the Wildcats watched solemnly as KU fans stormed the field, tore down the goal posts and carried them away.

"It's one of those things you don't want to feel again," senior defensive tackle Quintin Echols said. "It was a hurter."

Finally, consider this. From the day Prince arrived in Manhattan, he placed an emphasis on securing Kansas' top prospects. He said he wanted to gain a stranglehold on in-state recruiting -- from Goodland to Kansas City, from Liberal to Hiawatha.

Even Prince, who is always guarded, admitted a win over the Jayhawks can't hurt that cause.

"The winner of this game or the current status of either team doesn't affect every kid's decision," he said. "Some kids feel aligned with the values of one institution, or they're a fan of it or what have you.

"But for those kids who are undecided, for those people who do feel that it's maybe a dead heat, I think this plays into (their decision) a little bit."

Campbell, who came to K-State from the tiny southwest Kansas town of Cimarron, was more direct.

"I think it's very important for us not just to establish dominance in the Big 12 North, but also to establish dominance in our state," he said. "That way everybody knows that we're the No. 1 team, and recruits know that, as well.

"We want to get the top guys out of this state and this area and not have to worry about the guys down the road getting anybody because they beat us."

Tim Bisel can be reached at (785) 295-1289 or tim.bisel@cjonline.com.

http://hawkzone.cjonline.com/stories/111706/haw_cathawks.shtml

KANSAS STATE AT KANSAS

KICKOFF: 2:30 p.m. Saturday, Memorial Stadium, Lawrence.

RECORDS: Kansas State 7-4, 4-3 Big 12; Kansas 5-5, 2-4.

TV: FSN.

RADIO: WIBW-AM (580); KDVV-FM (100.3).

SERIES: Kansas leads 62-36-5.

LINE: Kansas by 2.

K-STATE STORYLINE: The Wildcats must prevent a letdown coming off one of the biggest wins in their history. The upset of Texas was K-State's first win over a Top 25 opponent since it hammered Oklahoma in the 2003 Big 12 championship game. Assured of a bowl, the Wildcats could improve their destination with a fourth straight victory.

KU STORYLINE: With last week off, the Jayhawks got a good, though somewhat frightening, look at Kansas State while the Wildcats pulled off their upset of Texas. The Jayhawks need one victory to become bowl-eligible, but may need to win out to reach a bowl with all the Big 12 bowl tie-ins assured of getting filled. KU has won two straight.

Lzen
11-18-2006, 02:36 PM
Published Friday, November 17, 2006

By Kevin Haskin
The Capital-Journal

LAWRENCE -- Josh Freeman's rise to stardom really isn't so hard to describe, listening to those who soon must defend the Kansas State quarterback.

"It's your everyday freshman story," said Jerome Kemp, a senior strong safety at Kansas. "You're going to be bad when you first start out, and then you get the hang of it as you go along."

In this case, the command Freeman exhibited in three consecutive victories for the Wildcats (7-4, 4-3 overall) presents a challenge that could be categorized as more than just an everyday ordeal when the Jayhawks (5-5, 2-4) take on their in-state rivals at 2:30 p.m. Saturday in Memorial Stadium.

Freeman threw eight interceptions before tossing a touchdown pass, but he was so sensational the past two games he was named the Big 12 offensive player of the week for each performance. At 6-foot-6, Freeman can survey the field and is beginning to grow more comfortable with reads and progressions.

Darrell Stuckey, the Jayhawks' free safety, isn't surprised.

Growing up in Kansas City, Kan., Stuckey was aware of the reputation Freeman began building as a blue-chip prospect across the state border at Grandview High School.

"Even last year when I redshirted, I'd go home and see the metro highlights," Stuckey said. "His name was very big in high school. He was a complete quarterback, with the run and the pass ... a complete athlete."

The threat Freeman poses against the Jayhawks is just as easy to measure from his highlights. After averaging almost 200 yards through the air in Big 12 play, Freeman is now matched against the third-worst pass defense in the country.

Kansas allows 262.9 yards through the air on average, a mark that dropped in back-to-back victories over Iowa State and Colorado. Those happen to be the two worst offenses in the Big 12, though the good news is Kansas State ranks 10th and struggles mightily to run the ball against imposing fronts.

Still, were back-to-back wins by KU fool's gold, or did the Jayhawks find some answers they could solidify over their recent off week?

"People can take those wins any way they want to take them," Stuckey said. "I feel we're finding ourselves when we need it, and I also feel we could have won many of the games we lost.

"We'd blow leads, but we could see the potential. We had good games, but we couldn't put it all together at once. But now, we're putting it all together, and I think it's going to lead to the consistent rise of our team."

The performance of Stuckey, Kemp and freshman cornerback Allen Webb in the KU secondary is key. The Jayhawks do have a lock-down corner in sophomore Aqib Talib, who has five interceptions and leads the nation in average pass breakups (2.62 per game).

But the play of the secondary is only one aspect. The pass rush must apply pressure and, according to defensive tackle James McClinton, do enough to "spook" Freeman.

"We'll put some licks on him," McClinton promised.

But with K-State, there's also an assortment of trick plays, risky fourth-down calls, special teams breakthroughs, timely takeaways and bone-jarring hits that are beginning to establish an identity for both the Wildcats and their first-year coach Ron Prince.

Their approval rating grew considerably with Saturday's upset win over then-No. 4 Texas.

"It's a good defense. As you can see from (the Texas win), they made plays when they had to and caused turnovers," KU guard Travis Dambach said. "They did the same thing on special teams. Then on offense, they scored off those turnovers, so they are playing pretty well in all three phases of the game."

Kevin Haskin can be reached at (785) 295-1159 or kevin.haskin@cjonline.com.

http://hawkzone.cjonline.com/stories/111706/haw_hawkfreeman.shtml

PinkFloyd
11-18-2006, 02:40 PM
It's about kickoff time !!!!!!

Lzen
11-18-2006, 06:07 PM
KSU 31
KU 10

Fantastic!

K-State in a walk not even close

Nice job, brainiac.

KSU 31
Kansas 10

Was that just wishful thinking or did you really believe KU wouldn't even show up?

28-17 KSU

KSU's offense continues to roll, and they do a good enough job on Cornish that KU isn't able to dictate the pace of the game.

Your prediction wasn't that outrageous, but you were way wrong about Cornish. He ended up with 25 rushes for 201 yards and 2 TDs. The leading rusher in the Big 12 came to play.

Saulbadguy
11-18-2006, 06:13 PM
There are quite a few "fans" missing from this thread that are talking the biggest amount of shit in the game thread...oh well. There was alot of offense on the ground, not the air. Funny how that works out. Congrats, and good luck vs Mizzou.

Lzen
11-18-2006, 06:17 PM
Thanks, Saul. You know I've been saying all year that I thought KU would win this game. Only reason I brought this thread back up is because I couldn't believe some of the predictions. Some KSU fans are still living in the past where KSU only had to show up and blow out KU. That shit is over, thank God.

Saulbadguy
11-18-2006, 06:19 PM
Thanks, Saul. You know I've been saying all year that I thought KU would win this game. Only reason I brought this thread back up is because I couldn't believe some of the predictions. Some KSU fans are still living in the past where KSU only had to show up and blow out KU. That shit is over, thank God.
Until last weekend, I was for sure we were going to lose this game as well. Then we beat Texas, and I thought perhaps we could win.

Still, all in all, a great season at 7-5 (8-5 or 7-6 depending on the outcome of the bowl game) for a first year coach. I'm anxiously awaiting Spring ball, already!

Lzen
11-18-2006, 09:56 PM
I agree, KSU had a great season. I didn't think they would be this good this year. After beating Texas last week, I did start having some apprehension about this game. KSU has been playing very well since they inserted Freeman into the starting role.

As for KU, I hope this win gets them a bowl game. Even better would be if they beat MU next week. I think if they win that one, a bowl will definitely want the Jayhawks.

chiefsfan987
11-18-2006, 10:40 PM
I agree, KSU had a great season. I didn't think they would be this good this year. After beating Texas last week, I did start having some apprehension about this game. KSU has been playing very well since they inserted Freeman into the starting role.

As for KU, I hope this win gets them a bowl game. Even better would be if they beat MU next week. I think if they win that one, a bowl will definitely want the Jayhawks.

If KU wins next week they better get in a better bowl than KSU and MU because they'll have beaten them both and finished 2nd in the North.

Tactical Funky
11-18-2006, 11:14 PM
Did I hurt your feelings?
Nope - I'm just dissapointed that you couldn't be more creative in your insults. :)

How 'bout those Cats today, huh? :p

KevB
11-18-2006, 11:23 PM
Your prediction wasn't that outrageous, but you were way wrong about Cornish. He ended up with 25 rushes for 201 yards and 2 TDs. The leading rusher in the Big 12 came to play.

It's not like I predicted that we'd shut Cornish down. I simply said I thought we'd do a good enough job on him....I know you're looking to get after people who may have disrespected your team, but I'm not that guy. I actually thought KSU would be playing with a lead much of the time as well, which would also have helped negate some of the damage from Cornish. Didn't happen, kudos to KU.

Halfcan
11-19-2006, 04:02 AM
faders lose

Lzen
11-19-2006, 10:04 AM
It's not like I predicted that we'd shut Cornish down. I simply said I thought we'd do a good enough job on him....I know you're looking to get after people who may have disrespected your team, but I'm not that guy. I actually thought KSU would be playing with a lead much of the time as well, which would also have helped negate some of the damage from Cornish. Didn't happen, kudos to KU.

Ok, that's cool then. Like I said before, yours wasn't that outrageous. But you were right, I was looking to get after people who didn't respect KU's football team. I didn't think you were one of those but I liked what Cornish was able to do. You can really see why he's the Big 12's leading rusher.

Your team is young and talented. The future is bright. It's good to have a true rivalry again. Good luck in the Alamo or whatever bowl game in which your team ends up playing.

alanm
11-19-2006, 11:10 AM
They'll probably take Nebraska's game plan and pound the rock and play keep away from KSU's offense. Loooooooooong time consuming drives. If Kansas can run the ball with any consistancy and play some solid D I don't see any reason why they can't beat KState at home.
Well KU ran the shit out of the ball and they played solid D. I just didn't predict the score. :)