PDA

View Full Version : Post your PS3 and Nintendo Wii reviews here.

Deberg_1990
11-17-2006, 10:28 PM
So....who has a PS3?? Whats it like?? I plan on perhaps getting a Wii, but i want to see what the people say first.........Whats the scoop??

Worth $600 ???

thedude
11-17-2006, 10:33 PM
I can honestly say....

No.

skye22f
11-17-2006, 10:34 PM
So....who has a PS3?? Whats it like?? I plan on perhaps getting a Wii, but i want to see what the people say first.........Whats the scoop??

Worth $600 ???

I'm getting a Wii Sunday.

PS3 just is totally unappealing to me.

Guru
11-17-2006, 10:38 PM
WE are getting the Wii at the midnight launch at GAmestop tomorrow night. I wouldn't give $600 for ANY game console.

Deberg_1990
11-17-2006, 10:41 PM
WE are getting the Wii at the midnight launch at GAmestop tomorrow night. I wouldn't give $600 for ANY game console.

Agreed.....Sony is trying to promote the "All in one entertainment system" but most people already have DVD players and a PC.

Plus. i really dont think HD DVD's will ever catch on with the mainstream crowd too much.

Its just not enough of a picture upgrade for the average joes to convert from regular DVD's

Guru
11-17-2006, 10:43 PM
Agreed.....Sony is trying to promote the "All in one entertainment system" but most people already have DVD players and a PC.

Plus. i really dont think HD DVD's will ever catch on with the mainstream crowd too much.

Its just not enough of a picture upgrade for the average joes to convert from regular DVD's

Actually, I think HD DVD will win the war. Sony is banking on Bluray and I just don't see it winning.

Deberg_1990
11-17-2006, 10:45 PM
Actually, I think HD DVD will win the war. Sony is banking on Bluray and I just don't see it winning.

I just meant HD DVD technology in general.

Guru
11-17-2006, 10:47 PM
I just meant HD DVD technology in general.
I know where you are going with that. I tend to agree.

Until more than 10% of homes have a HDTV we won't be needing the technology anyway.

Deberg_1990
11-17-2006, 10:51 PM
I know where you are going with that. I tend to agree.

Until more than 10% of homes have a HDTV we won't be needing the technology anyway.

and by then, some brand new technology will be out.....

Over the past 5-6 years most people have spent hundreds building up a DVD collection. HD is just not enough of an improvement over regular DVD's to convince the average joe to upgrade.

Its going to end up a collectors medium the same way Betamax and Laserdisc ended up.

Guru
11-17-2006, 10:52 PM

Over the past 5-6 years most people have spent hundreds building up a DVD collection. HD is just not enough of an improvement over regular DVD's to convince the average joe to upgrade.

Its going to end up a collectors medium the same way Betamax and Laserdisc ended up.
YEP.

Sam Hall
11-17-2006, 10:53 PM
I plan on getting the Wii tomorrow night. I'm going to Wal-Mart around 10 p.m. in hope that the line isn't too big. I like my chances.

oaklandhater
11-17-2006, 10:55 PM
I will also be picking up a Wii at wallmart, played the ps3 at my friends house tonight was very very unimpressed.

Deberg_1990
11-17-2006, 10:55 PM
YEP.

oh yea, and those awful Sony PSP discs that flopped....LOL

oaklandhater
11-17-2006, 10:56 PM
I plan on getting the Wii tomorrow night. I'm going to Wal-Mart around 10 p.m. in hope that the line isn't too big. I like my chances.

yeah I called wal-mart and they told me that if i show up at 9:00 -10:00 pm I should get one.

Sam Hall
11-17-2006, 10:58 PM
Wii Sports and the new Zelda have received stellar reviews.

Guru
11-17-2006, 11:01 PM
I will also be picking up a Wii at wallmart, played the ps3 at my friends house tonight was very very unimpressed.

sounds like the same way I felt when I saw the X360. Very underwhelming. Big deal, you can see the sweat fly off of them and the veins in their arms. The game play hasn't changed though.

Deberg_1990
11-17-2006, 11:37 PM
. The game play hasn't changed though.

Yea, i have to give it up for Nintendo. At least they are making a valid attempt at something innovative and different.

Guru
11-17-2006, 11:42 PM
http://www.joystiq.com/2006/11/17/ps3-gets-smashed-on-launch-day/

DaFace
11-17-2006, 11:50 PM
http://www.joystiq.com/2006/11/17/ps3-gets-smashed-on-launch-day/

That was somewhat anticlimactic, honestly. I found myself asking "why" more than I found myself laughing. No insane reactions by people standing by or anything.

Guru
11-17-2006, 11:56 PM
That was somewhat anticlimactic, honestly. I found myself asking "why" more than I found myself laughing. No insane reactions by people standing by or anything.
Far as I know, there is no video of it as yet. I will post it when if I find it.

DaFace
11-17-2006, 11:58 PM
Far as I know, there is no video of it as yet. I will post it when if I find it.

You have to clicky da picture, then click a couple other links. Anyway, here it is:

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4CTy7Nx0oPI"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4CTy7Nx0oPI" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Mecca
11-18-2006, 12:07 AM
sounds like the same way I felt when I saw the X360. Very underwhelming. Big deal, you can see the sweat fly off of them and the veins in their arms. The game play hasn't changed though.

I'd prefer the gameplay for the most part to not change.........I consider the Wii controller extremely unappealing and a major reason I'm not buying one....

Guru
11-18-2006, 12:08 AM
LMAO Overlooked that one. Oops.

Guru
11-18-2006, 12:09 AM
I'd prefer the gameplay for the most part to not change.........I consider the Wii controller extremely unappealing and a major reason I'm not buying one....

I am just ready for something new. Graphics keep improving and controllers get more complicated. More buttons, knobs and sticks. Same games.

Nintendo offered something new and it intrigues me. I will still play my Xbox too though.

Mecca
11-18-2006, 12:10 AM
Actually NIntendo for the most part isn't appealing to me.....Maybe if I was a kid or had kids it might be but I'm not really into all the kiddie titles they have.

Guru
11-18-2006, 12:18 AM
Actually NIntendo for the most part isn't appealing to me.....Maybe if I was a kid or had kids it might be but I'm not really into all the kiddie titles they have.
3 kids here. Course, I enjoy playing with them too so I don't mind the kiddie titles, as you so put it.

Metroid and the RE series are not exactly kiddie.

Valiant
11-18-2006, 01:12 AM
oh yea, and those awful Sony PSP discs that flopped....LOL

The psp movies on disc flopped big time... And Sony is still lightyears away from portable loyality from fans... Wonder what Nintendo will come out next with on the portable market...

oaklandhater
11-18-2006, 01:24 AM

felt the same way tell I actually played it.Dont judge tell you play it dude its that azsome.

Demonpenz
11-18-2006, 01:55 AM
I just want games to be fun again. It seems like every game I play is more work than anything. Like gta ........drugs, hookers, and cops.... it's like a every other weekday for me.

dirk digler
11-18-2006, 08:52 AM
I am getting my pre-order Wii tonight at Gamestop. I haven't bought a video game console Sega Genesis.

Sure-Oz
11-18-2006, 09:02 AM

Or thousands in my case...they look great on the new 65" hd tv we got, i see no use to upgrade to hd dvds etc....i just love HD for the NFL games!!

JBucc
11-18-2006, 09:17 AM
I might get a Wii around Christmas time and probably a 360 somewhere down the line. I'm probably done with Sony for now at least.

Sam Hall
11-18-2006, 09:39 PM
I was wrong about my chances of getting the Wii tonight. It's not going to happen. I called around after I got off work at 8. All the stores said they had long lines and not enough Wiis for everyone. I didn't think people would start camping out in the afternoon. I wasn't going to stand in line for more than two hours. Those crazy people can have their Wii. Somebody at a store I called told me to call back next week.

Deberg_1990
11-18-2006, 09:56 PM
I was wrong about my chances of getting the Wii tonight. It's not going to happen. I called around after I got off work at 8. All the stores said they had long lines and not enough Wiis for everyone. I didn't think people would start camping out in the afternoon. I wasn't going to stand in line for more than two hours. Those crazy people can have their Wii. Somebody at a store I called told me to call back next week.

I didnt think the craze was as high for the Wii as the PS3?? I also though that Nintendo shipped alot more units?

Rausch
11-18-2006, 10:01 PM

I don't like the idea I have to wave my arms around like an @$$hole just to play the thing. If I wanted to exercise I'd be doing something productive instead of playing a ****ing video game...

KcMizzou
11-18-2006, 10:01 PM
I didnt think the craze was as high for the Wii as the PS3?? I also though that Nintendo shipped alot more units?The price is a hell of a lot more reasonable than the PS3... might have something to do with it.

When I heard the PS3 was going to be $600, I went ahead and got an Xbox 360. I'm pretty happy with it.

I was always a PS2 guy before, but $600 is just to much for me. I can't really justify spending that much. I'll probably pick one up a year or so down the road.

Sam Hall
11-18-2006, 10:03 PM
I didnt think the craze was as high for the Wii as the PS3?? I also though that Nintendo shipped alot more units?

Yeah, I heard Nintendo shipped enough systems to meet demand. The stores I called all said the same thing: "We have 20, and there's 25 people in line." I may take a chance at Sam's Club tomorrow morning, but it looks like I'll have to wait a few weeks. Hopefully the next shipments arrive soon.

KcMizzou
11-18-2006, 10:04 PM
I don't like the idea I have to wave my arms around like an @$$hole just to play the thing. If I wanted to exercise I'd be doing something productive instead of playing a ****ing video game......

Sam Hall
11-18-2006, 10:06 PM
I don't like the idea I have to wave my arms around like an @$$hole just to play the thing. If I wanted to exercise I'd be doing something productive instead of playing a ****ing video game...

Reviewers have said playing the Wii won't make your arms tired, and they prefered the Wii controller over traditional controllers.

Fruit Ninja
11-18-2006, 10:25 PM
Think i am going to buy 2 tonight got 2 and a half hours left til they go on sale here. Buy one keep one and sell one.

SithCeNtZ
11-18-2006, 10:32 PM

You do know that regular DVD's work in a blu-ray player right? I don't think they are trying to get you to upgrade every movie you have ever bought. They just hope that as more and more current movies are released on blu-ray/HD DVD you will buy them in that format rather than regular DVD's.

Thig Lyfe
11-18-2006, 10:46 PM
$600 for a VG console = insane.

Smashing said console = even more insane.

Wii looks interesting, but not planning on buying one unless I fall into a big pile of money.

LaBamba
11-18-2006, 10:49 PM
$600 for a VG console = insane.

Smashing said console = even more insane.

Wii looks interesting, but not planning on buying one unless I fall into a big pile of money.

No daría dos turds del lagarto para su opinión. Su cabeza es como un pinata vacío.

Dallas Chief
11-18-2006, 10:59 PM
And why don't you see them and about 80% of the other CE manufacturers winning it? Has HD-DVD/Toshiba done something so remarkable that it puts them ahead of the rest? You must have had a bad experience with Sony to be hating on them this much...

Rausch
11-18-2006, 11:39 PM
Can the PS3 record on DVD?

I bought a cheap POS DVDRecorder and it's going out on me after like 8 months. That might validate a little of a $600 purchase...

Logical
11-19-2006, 01:27 AM
And why don't you see them and about 80% of the other CE manufacturers winning it? Has HD-DVD/Toshiba done something so remarkable that it puts them ahead of the rest? You must have had a bad experience with Sony to be hating on them this much...I don't think he is hating on it but observing that Sony is going it alone once again. That has not been a recipe for success for them in the past.

Guru
11-19-2006, 01:35 AM
And why don't you see them and about 80% of the other CE manufacturers winning it? Has HD-DVD/Toshiba done something so remarkable that it puts them ahead of the rest? You must have had a bad experience with Sony to be hating on them this much...

NOt hating on them at all. The only thing I hate is the pricetag. I have no problem with them trying to push Bluray. I just don't think it will win the war.

What happened to being able to have an opinion. :shake:

Guru
11-19-2006, 01:43 AM
My son and I just finished playing all of Wii sports. We both had a lot of fun. Baseball is tougher than it looked as you do have to get the timing down. I also have a feeling that the taller you are the less likely it is you can throw an effective fastball too. My 52" tall son could whip it at 92 MPH while I could never top 65 no matter how hard I tried. Maybe just aproblem with my delivery.

Golf was very fun too. You really need to follow swing mechanics.

Boxing was fun for me to watch but the opponents seemed very easy too. I didn't play this one but watched my son play it.

Bowling is also very mechanics oriented. If you simulate a real throw you will throw a fairly accurate ball. If you just whip the remote around like some lazy asses then it will not look good at all.

Tennis was by far the most fun game we played. Other then the fact you don't move around the room the swing mechanics were very close to the real thing. The more I simulated a real swing the more accurate my shot got. Timing is very relevant in this game too. I had a lot of bad hits to start off but got the hang of it fairly quickly.

Very happy with the purchase.

Thig Lyfe
11-19-2006, 01:49 AM
My son and I just finished playing all of Wii sports. We both had a lot of fun. Baseball is tougher than it looked as you do have to get the timing down. I also have a feeling that the taller you are the less likely it is you can throw an effective fastball too. My 52" tall son could whip it at 92 MPH while I could never top 65 no matter how hard I tried. Maybe just aproblem with my delivery.

Golf was very fun too. You really need to follow swing mechanics.

Boxing was fun for me to watch but the opponents seemed very easy too. I didn't play this one but watched my son play it.

Bowling is also very mechanics oriented. If you simulate a real throw you will throw a fairly accurate ball. If you just whip the remote around like some lazy asses then it will not look good at all.

Tennis was by far the most fun game we played. Other then the fact you don't move around the room the swing mechanics were very close to the real thing. The more I simulated a real swing the more accurate my shot got. Timing is very relevant in this game too. I had a lot of bad hits to start off but got the hang of it fairly quickly.

Very happy with the purchase.

Sounds pretty cool!

Fruit Ninja
11-19-2006, 01:49 AM
just came back from all the stores none of them have a damn midnight release, all in the am, and about20 people at just about every damn store. No way was i sitting my ass there for 8 hours to get one. OH well, whiel they are freezing thier ass off, i am goign to sleep and get ready for Chiefs football

mrub4
11-19-2006, 02:04 AM

I was up at Best Buy tonight checking out what I want to try and grab on black friday, and there were three tents set up outside with a couple kids waiting... I forgot Wii was coming out and thought they were already there for BF

Headed over to the 24 hour WalMart afterwards (~9ish) and they were starting to put up a Wii display in electronics and there was absolutely no one around. If I remembered it was coming out, I probably would've stuck around

Dallas Chief
11-19-2006, 11:55 AM
NOt hating on them at all. The only thing I hate is the pricetag. I have no problem with them trying to push Bluray. I just don't think it will win the war.

What happened to being able to have an opinion. :shake:
Wasn't disagreeing with your opinion or denying you the opportunity to have one, just wondered what made you have it, like previous experiences or whatever.

Dallas Chief
11-19-2006, 11:57 AM
I don't think he is hating on it but observing that Sony is going it alone once again. That has not been a recipe for success for them in the past.
I don't think they are going at it alone this time...

http://www.blu-ray.com/

Guru
11-19-2006, 01:01 PM
Wasn't disagreeing with your opinion or denying you the opportunity to have one, just wondered what made you have it, like previous experiences or whatever.
Doesn't really have an effect on me either way at this point since I don't have HD anything. I would prefer the cheaper option prevail though.

dirk digler
11-19-2006, 01:03 PM
I got my pre-ordered Wii last night. Played it alot with my kid today before the game. Wii Sports is alot of fun and I am going to start playing Zelda sometime today or tomorrow

Pitt Gorilla
11-19-2006, 01:54 PM
The Wii looks badass. Madden and Zelda look really cool.

Guru
11-19-2006, 02:00 PM
I got my pre-ordered Wii last night. Played it alot with my kid today before the game. Wii Sports is alot of fun and I am going to start playing Zelda sometime today or tomorrow
Can I borrow Zelda when you are done?

htismaqe
11-19-2006, 02:22 PM

Well after playing the TURD known as NCAA 2006 for the XBox for 3 days and then taking it back, I can say with 100% assuredness that the gameplay HAS changed.

NCAA 2007 for the XBox 360 is the best football game simulation ever made. It lacks depth, like the early iterations of the XBox version (not all teams have fight songs or stadiums, etc.) but the gameplay is the best football ever, bar none.

dirk digler
11-19-2006, 02:26 PM
Can I borrow Zelda when you are done?

Sure

God of Thunder
11-19-2006, 02:31 PM
wish I could have got my hands on either.

Sam Hall
11-19-2006, 06:20 PM
I'd love to know when the next Wii shipment will arrive in stores. The places I called said they don't know, or maybe they know but aren't telling.

TrickyNicky
11-19-2006, 06:36 PM
There will most likely be another shipment of both Wii's and PS3's in time for Black Friday, I can safely assume.

Demonpenz
11-19-2006, 06:38 PM
if i wasn't playing basketball on sundays, football saturdays, working long hours, and still have time to hit the bar scene i might have a chance to play one of these.

oaklandhater
11-19-2006, 07:01 PM
I'd love to know when the next Wii shipment will arrive in stores. The places I called said they don't know, or maybe they know but aren't telling.

my Brother in law is the manager at Bestbuy,and I asked him about the ps3 and wii and he told me that sony and nintendo will try to send one very very small shipment hopefully Dec 15th.

God of Thunder
11-19-2006, 08:43 PM
wow.....December 15th.........those Ebay prices will be sky high if thats true.

Deberg_1990
11-19-2006, 08:54 PM
my Brother in law is the manager at Bestbuy,and I asked him about the ps3 and wii and he told me that sony and nintendo will try to send one very very small shipment hopefully Dec 15th.

What?? Why would it be small?? Shouldnt they try and ship as much product as they can for the Christmas rush??

Thats alot of potential money lost.

Rausch
11-19-2006, 08:59 PM
What?? Why would it be small?? Shouldnt they try and ship as much product as they can for the Christmas rush??

Thats alot of potential money lost.

Why would any company launch any product before they could produce enough units to cover most of the initial demand?

"I want you to want me."

Yeah, but I CAN'T BUY YOU.

"Yeah, but man it reallly makes us look good on G4 TV. We're like video crack!"

But you won't let me give you money. That's retarded squared. With an exponent. It's like the critical mass of dumbass.

"WE HAVE BUZZ!"

TrickyNicky
11-19-2006, 09:03 PM
Or

Evening News: Multiple Homicides, stampedes, and Robberies occured as the highly-sought after PS3 was released in very limited quantity across the country last night.

Sony Executive: High Five! Free advertising!

oaklandhater
11-19-2006, 09:08 PM
Or

Evening News: Multiple Homicides, stampedes, and Robberies occured as the highly-sought after PS3 was released in very limited quantity across the country last night.

Sony Executive: High Five! Free advertising!

Cant believe my stupid target was worried the same thing was gonna happened and had the police escort every one who got a wii to there car.

Valiant
11-19-2006, 09:11 PM
I highly doubt any new shipments until mid to late December, and that will be mostly with Nintendo.. If sony would not have spent so much time redesigning the new PS2 to look like thinner versions of the PS3 they could have had more supplies..

Wii is the only company likely to come out with more before the end of the year...

Valiant
11-19-2006, 09:12 PM
Cant believe my stupid target was worried the same thing was gonna happened and had the police escort every one who got a wii to there car.

You live in Oakland, what do you expect???

Rausch
11-19-2006, 09:16 PM
I highly doubt any new shipments until mid to late December, and that will be mostly with Nintendo.. If sony would not have spent so much time redesigning the new PS2 to look like thinner versions of the PS3 they could have had more supplies..

Wii is the only company likely to come out with more before the end of the year...

My wife works for big brother (Wally-World.)

Bold predictions like this make me laugh...

oaklandhater
11-19-2006, 09:20 PM
You live in Oakland, what do you expect???

To be honest most of the ppl in line other then 2 ahole teenagers were all parents.I think Target went a bit overbord calling 5 cop cars.

Ultra Peanut
11-19-2006, 10:22 PM
I want a Wii, but I have less than zero dollars and too many games to occupy myself already.

Demonpenz
11-19-2006, 10:48 PM
[QUOTE=Ultra Peanut]I want a Wii

again?

Guru
11-19-2006, 11:13 PM
I wouldn't complain. I applaud them for looking out for their customers. At least they cared.

RedDread
11-20-2006, 12:48 AM
This about sums up the PS3 Launch:

http://img224.imageshack.us/img224/9140/ps3launchfe5.jpg

Oh and the original image is from Dead Rising, which is a much better game than any current or near future offerings for the PS3.

oaklandhater
11-20-2006, 03:26 AM
This about sums up the PS3 Launch:

http://img224.imageshack.us/img224/9140/ps3launchfe5.jpg

Oh and the original image is from Dead Rising, which is a much better game than any current or near future offerings for the PS3.

That and Gears of war will surpass anything sony has planed until MGs4

Ultra Peanut
11-20-2006, 05:24 AM
The PS3 launch lineup is just ****ing dire.

Lzen
11-20-2006, 09:04 AM
I have the PS2 and had a PSone before that. Not necessarily a fanboy, but I have been known to defend the PS2 against Xbox fanboys. However, this time around, Sony has really screwed up. $600 for a system is beyond ridiculous. I will end up buying the Xbox 360 and be happy with it. :)

BigChiefFan
11-20-2006, 09:11 AM
I have the PS2 and had a PSone before that. Not necessarily a fanboy, but I have been known to defend the PS2 against Xbox fanboys. However, this time around, Sony has really screwed up. $600 for a system is beyond ridiculous. I will end up buying the Xbox 360 and be happy with it. :) You'll also pay MORE in the long run by buying the 360. The 360 HD-DVD ADD-ON is $200. Add the $200 to the $400 base price, add the x-box live account and voila, you've just spent MORE on an inferior product.

Lzen
11-20-2006, 09:20 AM
You'll also pay MORE in the long run by buying the 360. The 360 HD-DVD ADD-ON is $200. Add the $200 to the $400 base price, add the x-box live account and voila, you've just spent MORE on an inferior product.

Not sure if or when that would even happen. I don't even have an HD TV yet.

Lzen
11-20-2006, 09:22 AM
Also, why do you say it's an inferior product? What makes the PS3 superior to the Xbox 360? I remember when several people were claiming the Xbox was superior to the PS2. My boys have an Xbox and I have a PS2. There is little difference, IMO. Except for the one major advantage is the Xbox comes with the hard drive. Of course, a lot of PS2 online games don't require a fee. I've heard that will be changing soon, though, with the PS3.

htismaqe
11-20-2006, 09:35 AM
My wife works for big brother (Wally-World.)

Bold predictions like this make me laugh...

Sony has already said they don't expect to ship more than 1 million units before the end of the year...

htismaqe
11-20-2006, 09:37 AM
You'll also pay MORE in the long run by buying the 360. The 360 HD-DVD ADD-ON is $200. Add the $200 to the $400 base price, add the x-box live account and voila, you've just spent MORE on an inferior product.

And I need an HD-DVD drive why? How many HD-DVD titles are there again?

This whole blu-ray mantra is a crock of shit...

BigChiefFan
11-20-2006, 10:06 AM
And I need an HD-DVD drive why? How many HD-DVD titles are there again?

This whole blu-ray mantra is a crock of shit...

It might be a crock of shit to you, but that doesn't make it fact. More people WATCH MOVIES than play games in general. I wouldn't underestimate the importance of it.

You should also consider the storage data difference between the two mediums. Blu-ray has alot more storage capacity than HD-DVD, that in itself is value added to gamers(more expansive games in years to come). It's also INCLUDED with the Sony console, the same can't be said for Microsoft's 360.

How is more storage capacity a crock of shit when it comes to gaming? Answer: it isn't a crock, in fact, it's very valid point. Storage capacity is very important-I'm surprised to see anyone shrug it off as if it's unimportant.

htismaqe
11-20-2006, 10:17 AM
It might be a crock of shit to you, but that doesn't make it fact. More people WATCH MOVIES than play games in general. I wouldn't underestimate the importance of it.

You should also consider the storage data difference between the two mediums. Blu-ray has alot more storage capacity than HD-DVD, that in itself is value added to gamers(more expansive games in years to come). It's also INCLUDED with the Sony console, the same can't be said for Microsoft's 360.

How is more storage capacity a crock of shit when it comes to gaming? Answer: it isn't a crock, in fact, it's very valid point. Storage capacity is very important-I'm surprised to see anyone shrug it off as if it's unimportant.

You're banking on a "what-if". So be it.

By the time either HD-DVD or Blu-Ray gain market relevance, somebody will be releasing something better.

I'm enjoying my 360 RIGHT NOW.

BigChiefFan
11-20-2006, 10:31 AM
You're banking on a "what-if". So be it.

By the time either HD-DVD or Blu-Ray gain market relevance, somebody will be releasing something better.

I'm enjoying my 360 RIGHT NOW.
I don't buy that one bit. DVD's didn't take off until the PS2 launched, then voila a new medium, that revolutionized the way the masses watch movies. Blu-Ray and HD-DVD, BOTH are better standards than the typical DVD, it just makes sense that's the next, natural progression for storage medium.

They may come out with a newer medium, but we all know the masses are slow to adopt, that's why Sony brings the new technology to the masses. It's a beneficial procedure that gives them the upper-hand. Had Microsoft INCLUDED the HD-DVD in their console, I would have stated the race would be much closer, but as it is now, all owners of the PS3 will have the new technology-the same can't be said for the 360 owners.

htismaqe
11-20-2006, 10:35 AM
I don't buy that one bit. DVD's didn't take off until the PS2 launched, then voila a new medium, that revolutionized the way the masses watch movies. Blu-Ray and HD-DVD, BOTH are better standards than the typical DVD, it just makes sense that's the next, natural progression for storage medium.

They may come out with a newer medium, but we all know the masses are slow to adopt, that's why Sony brings the new technology to the masses. It's a beneficial procedure that gives them the upper-hand. Had Microsoft INCLUDED the HD-DVD in their console, I would have stated the race would be much closer, but as it is now, all owners of the PS3 will have the new technology-the same can't be said for the 360 owners.

DVD didn't take off until the PS2? I don't even know where to go with that.

And yes, PS3 owners will have the new technology, all 1.5 million of them...

TrickyNicky
11-20-2006, 10:37 AM

And yes, PS3 owners will have the new technology, all 200,000 of them...
FYP

BigChiefFan
11-20-2006, 10:45 AM

Did you own a DVD player BEFORE you got a PS2?

htismaqe
11-20-2006, 10:48 AM

Yep. Two.

Demonpenz
11-20-2006, 10:49 AM
When I was a manager at blockbuster we had to really step up changing our inventory to dvd after ps2's came out. That was a major change in technoligy right there.

dirk digler
11-20-2006, 10:50 AM

I never owned a PS2 but the price of DVD players before the PS2 was released was under $300.

Blu-Ray players are around $900+.

My problem with the PS3 is the high cost.

BigChiefFan
11-20-2006, 10:53 AM

some words...

steve_minor
11-20-2006, 11:35 AM
I have played PS3 and would invest your money in Xbox 360 if you want the better graphics than the Wii. PS3 looks like 360 to me, it just costs more and has less games....but

I got a Wii yesterday and LOVE IT!!!!

The Wii Sports game is a blast, and I am starting to get the hang of Madden....Dante kickoff return and LJ had 2 60+ yd TD's. The juking and stiff arming is incredibly enjoyable since you are physically performing them.

Have Fun!!!! Broncos Suck!!!!!!!

Swanman
11-20-2006, 01:27 PM

I think it's an advantage to have the HD-DVD optional for the 360. Not all people that buy a gaming console want to use it for movie watching. So a 360 owner could just buy the system without the addon for $400, but if they want to use it as an HD-DVD player, they have the option, but they're not forced to buy it.

Also, currently HD-DVD is winning the battle in the quality department (it is very early in the process, so things could change). Every head-to-head comparison I've read favors HD-DVD by a large margin.

Saulbadguy
11-20-2006, 01:30 PM
What brand of moron are you?

Saulbadguy
11-20-2006, 01:31 PM
Does anyone know if the Wii will be as hard to get as the PS3? I know they are all sold out right now but how are they looking for the holidays?

Sam Hall
11-20-2006, 01:40 PM
Does anyone know if the Wii will be as hard to get as the PS3? I know they are all sold out right now but how are they looking for the holidays?

Hey, we do have something in common :)

It makes sense that the next Wii shipment will arrive this Friday. I'm sure getting one won't be easy. I hope people don't camp out like they did this weekend.

Bob Dole
11-20-2006, 01:44 PM

Every DVD player that Bob Dole has or will ever own came before Bob Dole got a PS2.

Saulbadguy
11-20-2006, 01:46 PM
I've never used my PS2 as a dvd player. Ever.

penguinz
11-20-2006, 02:00 PM
I've never used my PS2 as a dvd player. Ever.Exactly.

Swanman
11-20-2006, 02:26 PM

The Wii's will be much easier to get in the next several weeks. I got mine Sunday, and only got into line about 1.5 hours before Walmart opened (I was 13th in line and they had 20). Sony will be lucky to ship a million units prior to year-end due to manufacturing problems they've run into. Nintendo is actually beating their manufacturing estimates so far so they are aiming to ship 4 million units by year-end.

Starbux37
11-20-2006, 02:31 PM

Nintendo said that they wanted a million available to the public by Dec. 1st. They have already sold 700,000 since the launch on Sunday and said that another shipment to the retailers is coming later this week.

BigChiefFan
11-20-2006, 03:33 PM
The point was Sony put DVD players in the hands of the MASSES. They are currently doing the exact same thing with Blu-ray. I could give two shits what ****ing brand of DVD player you bought. The time frame of when DVD had mass appeal is the relevant point I'm trying to make. You can fool yourselves all you want, but the PS2 did contribute to DVD sales and introduced the technology to a wider audience. You don't sell FORTY-MILLION consoles and not influence a percentage of those people.

BTW, this isn't about which console is better. Clearly, some of you have already made up your mind. I just wanted to point out that the cost is actually VERY SIMILIAR and that the 360 isn't such a bargain like some would have you believe. Compare apples to apples.

Saulbadguy
11-20-2006, 03:36 PM
I don't think the cost is very similar. PS2 is $200 more. I'm not interested in either HD-DVD or Blu-Ray.

BigChiefFan
11-20-2006, 04:00 PM
I don't think the cost is very similar. PS2 is $200 more. I'm not interested in either HD-DVD or Blu-Ray.
Blu-ray is used in GAMING, too. It gives more storage capacity per disc.

Also, you do know that the PS3 has a 20 gig model, that sales for $499, right? That's only a $100 bucks more... but again, it's not comparing apples to apples. If you added the 20 gig hard -drive to the 360 it would cost you an additional $100. That's the SAME cost, without movie playback...hmmm.

jiveturkey
11-20-2006, 04:17 PM
PS2 was my first DVD player.

I'll wait to buy a BlueRay player though. I'm sure that prices will come down in the next year or so as the list of movies pile up. I love the idea of having disks with 50 gigs on them and I hope that burners are right around the corner.

For the first time in a long time I am considering the Nintendo option. The Wii looks like a lot of fun.

Valiant
11-20-2006, 04:27 PM

Have you ever played a computer game??? There is no way in hell they will fill up a game on a blu-ray disk or even get close to halfway... There is not enough cache on a computer to run a 20gig game off of disc let alone the PS3 or any console...

Everything you are spouting is pure fanboy garbage..

If you break it down, people that do not want to pay for hd/blu-ray to watch movies will not have to with the 360.. They will not need to fork out the extra 200 for the drive or buying a PS3...

Storage capacity of what??? The disc, the games will never fill them up.. Movies will never fill them up, outside of extra's or multiple movies on one disc... Big deal...

Get over your fanboy antics...

Valiant
11-20-2006, 04:29 PM

Aahahahhaha

PS2 is the reason why dvds took off??? ahahahahahah...

By the time Blu-Ray or hd-dvd become the norm there will be new consoles out...

Valiant
11-20-2006, 04:36 PM
The point was Sony put DVD players in the hands of the MASSES. They are currently doing the exact same thing with Blu-ray. I could give two shits what ****ing brand of DVD player you bought. The time frame of when DVD had mass appeal is the relevant point I'm trying to make. You can fool yourselves all you want, but the PS2 did contribute to DVD sales and introduced the technology to a wider audience. You don't sell FORTY-MILLION consoles and not influence a percentage of those people.

BTW, this isn't about which console is better. Clearly, some of you have already made up your mind. I just wanted to point out that the cost is actually VERY SIMILIAR and that the 360 isn't such a bargain like some would have you believe. Compare apples to apples.

Really that article you posted said Toshiba and Time Warner was the clear leader in devolping current technology as we see it... Sad that said PS2 came out after a few years of the DVD switchover started taking off, everything you have stated so far is just your opinion...

Ultra Peanut
11-20-2006, 06:22 PM
It might be a crock of shit to you, but that doesn't make it fact. More people WATCH MOVIES than play games in general. I bought a video game console to play video games. I won't need the HD-DVD drive, and I don't want it. Regurgitating misleading Sony talking points that have been dismantled time and time again exposes you as nothing more than a PS3 fanboy.

Also, you only pay for Xbox Live if you want to play online, and even then, the stability and services offered by it far surpass Sony's system.

Does anyone know if the Wii will be as hard to get as the PS3? I know they are all sold out right now but how are they looking for the holidays?There's absolutely no reason Wiis shouldn't be available in large numbers pretty soon. They've been in production for a long time, now, and they're apparently very easy to churn out, compared to the 360 and PS3.

BigChiefFan
11-20-2006, 07:16 PM
Have you ever played a computer game??? There is no way in hell they will fill up a game on a blu-ray disk or even get close to halfway... There is not enough cache on a computer to run a 20gig game off of disc let alone the PS3 or any console...

Everything you are spouting is pure fanboy garbage..

If you break it down, people that do not want to pay for hd/blu-ray to watch movies will not have to with the 360.. They will not need to fork out the extra 200 for the drive or buying a PS3...

Storage capacity of what??? The disc, the games will never fill them up.. Movies will never fill them up, outside of extra's or multiple movies on one disc... Big deal...

Get over your fanboy antics...
I know you really WISH it was fanboydom, but it isn't. It's researching the products ad nauseum. Here's a quick factual link that shows there is indeed a huge difference in storage capacity between the two mediums, whether you you admit it or not. It's still true.

Here ya go...
http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/Resistance-PS3-game-uses-22-gigabytes-of-Blu-ray-disc.html

Fish
11-20-2006, 07:24 PM
I know you really WISH it was fanboydom, but it isn't. It's researching the products ad nauseum. Here's a quick factual link that shows there is indeed a huge difference in storage capacity between the two mediums, whether you you admit it or not. It's still true.

I don't think anybody is questioning the difference in storage capacity... they're saying that with this generation of consoles, that extra storage capacity isn't worth that much. It's like a midget buying a Hummer.... most times that extra room won't be used....

Chieftain58
11-20-2006, 07:36 PM
The PS3 is unaffordable for the average player and will keep most of the gamers at bay with the steep price.

Crush
11-20-2006, 07:47 PM
The Playstation 3 has 3DO written all over it.

KcMizzou
11-20-2006, 08:43 PM
This is a pretty good read from the NY Times.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/20/arts/20game.html?_r=2&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

Excerpt..

And so it is a bit of a shock to realize that on the video game front Microsoft and Sony are moving in exactly the opposite directions one might expect given their roots. Microsoft, the prototypical PC company, has made the Xbox 360 into a powerful but intuitive, welcoming, people-friendly system. Sony’s PlayStation 3, on the other hand, often feels like a brawny but somewhat recalcitrant specialized computer. (Sony is even telling users to wait for future software patches to fix some of the PS3’s deficiencies.) The thing is, if people want to use a computer, they’ll use a computer.

htismaqe
11-20-2006, 09:11 PM
Blu-ray is used in GAMING, too. It gives more storage capacity per disc.

Also, you do know that the PS3 has a 20 gig model, that sales for $499, right? That's only a $100 bucks more... but again, it's not comparing apples to apples. If you added the 20 gig hard -drive to the 360 it would cost you an additional $100. That's the SAME cost, without movie playback...hmmm.

Weird. I could have sworn my xbox 360 plays movies just fine.

htismaqe
11-20-2006, 09:13 PM

Here ya go...
http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/Resistance-PS3-game-uses-22-gigabytes-of-Blu-ray-disc.html

Nobody said it wasn't a better storage medium. Hell it's probably a better technology all-around.

But it's NOT PRACTICAL.

Hell, I'm in networking. For 15 years, all I heard was about how great ATM is. ATM is still a superior technology. And you know what?

It's expensive, it's complex, and nobody ****ing uses it.

Valiant
11-20-2006, 09:54 PM

Here ya go...

Are you not understanding what we are trying to say???

1.Blu-Ray or HD-DVD will not see its true potential now or during these consoles...

2.No game is going to fill up a 50 or 75 gig disc for information. So the extra storage for that is useless.. Movies outside of really big box sets on single discs are also a moot point as they will not fill the entire disc..

Touting a console because of its storage technology that will not be fully reached during this console period is laughable..

bishop_74
11-20-2006, 10:08 PM
Nobody said it wasn't a better storage medium. Hell it's probably a better technology all-around.

But it's NOT PRACTICAL.

Hell, I'm in networking. For 15 years, all I heard was about how great ATM is. ATM is still a superior technology. And you know what?

You must be a router jockey. Me too. I maintain an enterprise class IP, Frame, ATM, and MPLS network. :)

We still provide Frame Relay and ATM to lots of customers. End users of small companies don't typically understand the relevance, security, and stability of older technologies. Thats cool though, that converstation doesn't belong in this thread.

BTW... I am getting my PS3 Wednesday and am looking forward to putting Linux on it.

SithCeNtZ
11-20-2006, 10:15 PM

1.Blu-Ray or HD-DVD will not see its true potential now or during these consoles...

2.No game is going to fill up a 50 or 75 gig disc for information. So the extra storage for that is useless.. Movies outside of really big box sets on single discs are also a moot point as they will not fill the entire disc..

Touting a console because of its storage technology that will not be fully reached during this console period is laughable..

Blu-ray already has 50 GB movies out.

Guru
11-20-2006, 10:16 PM
I don't think anybody is questioning the difference in storage capacity... they're saying that with this generation of consoles, that extra storage capacity isn't worth that much. It's like a midget buying a Hummer.... most times that extra room won't be used....
More storage capacity equals much longer load times too.

Guru
11-20-2006, 10:20 PM
If you can afford it, great, go for it.

Some of us are not going to spend that kind of money on a gaming system.

Plus, if I want a Bluray player, I will purchase one that is a dedicated Bluray player not a multifunctional device.

You get what you pay for.

SithCeNtZ
11-20-2006, 10:21 PM
If you can afford it, great, go for it.

Some of us are not going to spend that kind of money on a gaming system.

Plus, if I want a Bluray player, I will purchase one that is a dedicated Bluray player not a multifunctional device.

You get what you pay for.

I wasn't arguing that it was worth it, but I am going to correct him when he says no movies will ever use the space because he is wrong.

The Bad Guy
11-20-2006, 10:22 PM
I have PS3, and I have zero complaints so far.Madden and NBA 2k7 are unbelievable.600 is a lot for a gaming system, but for the amout of hours I play on it, it's worth it.

Guru
11-20-2006, 10:25 PM
I wasn't arguing that it was worth it, but I am going to correct him when he says no movies will ever use the space because he is wrong.

Didn't really mean to sound argumentative but after reading it I guess I did.

The movies I expected to fill those discs. The people that have 1080p will love that feature.

I do think it is ridiculous for Sony to tout capacity for a game though. The bigger the game the longer it will take to load and IMO cutscenes are a big waste of time.

Valiant
11-21-2006, 01:53 AM

What movies??? We sale the damn things and not one says if fills up the entire disc worth of content for the movie...

crispystl420
11-21-2006, 06:39 AM
I hardly ever use my xbox 360 as a dvd player. We have a seprate t.v. for the xbox so I never need it.

SithCeNtZ
11-21-2006, 07:30 AM
What movies??? We sale the damn things and not one says if fills up the entire disc worth of content for the movie...

The movie packaged with the PS 3 is 50 GB, and that is Talladega Nights. Black Hawk Down is 50 GB as well as Click. There are a few others I believe but I don't know the whole list off the top of my head. These have just started coming out about a month ago and it is becoming more standard for the movies to be 50 GB rather than 25 GB.

munkey
11-21-2006, 07:36 AM

But it's NOT PRACTICAL.

That there is a perfect response...

I don't watch movies on my 360 and most new game titles are for both the PS3 and 360. That is where I don't feel like its worth the extra $$$...I love god of war but I'm not shelling out 600 bucs for one title.

Lzen
11-21-2006, 07:41 AM

Yes.

BigChiefFan
11-21-2006, 08:09 AM
Weird. I could have sworn my xbox 360 plays movies just fine.
Not High-Definition movies, it doesn't. Try again.

So since you BOUGHT a DVD player before the PS2, why the **** are you complaining about the price of the console? You obviously don't mind paying for state-of-the-art technology and also want the most current technology in your homes. Blu-ray and HD-DVD are both a better standard.

Lzen
11-21-2006, 08:09 AM
I think it's an advantage to have the HD-DVD optional for the 360. Not all people that buy a gaming console want to use it for movie watching. So a 360 owner could just buy the system without the addon for $400, but if they want to use it as an HD-DVD player, they have the option, but they're not forced to buy it.

Ding ding ding!!! We have a winner!

BigChiefFan
11-21-2006, 08:11 AM
Ding ding ding!!! We have a winner!
Sorry, but Blu-ray is used in gaming. That argument doesn't hold any water.

Lzen
11-21-2006, 08:11 AM
I've never used my PS2 as a dvd player. Ever.

We have a nice dvd player in the living room. Rarely do I ever use the PS2 dvd player. The only time use the PS2 for a dvd player is when the wife and I want to lay in bed upstairs late at night and watch a movie.

oaklandhater
11-21-2006, 08:13 AM

I Guess we will have to wait and see since 2 dvd 9 disc are still cheaper then one blu-ray.

oaklandhater
11-21-2006, 08:21 AM
Not to mention the fact that sony had Insomniac Games Leave the Pal version of Resistance Fall of Man,on the US copies of the game.

BigChiefFan
11-21-2006, 08:21 AM
I Guess we will have to wait and see since 2 dvd 9 disc are still cheaper then one blu-ray.
Microsoft charges the exact same amount as Sony for their games. Try again.
If you are referring to manufacturing costs, then you are literally talking about pennies more.

Regardless, what you said has nothing to do with whether or not Blu-Ray is, indeed used in gaming-it is. Which is what I stated in the first place.

Lzen
11-21-2006, 08:26 AM

Like a couple others have pointed out, it's not likely that the extra storage capacity will be used in gaming. That would mean more time to create the games which means it would cost a lot more to produce them. More cost to produce would mean higher retail. Somehow I don't think that's gonna happen.

Hey, if you like your PS3, more power to you. That's your choice and if you're happy with that, great. I would've liked to have had a PS3. I decided awhile ago (when they announced the pricing) that I would go with the 360 this time around. Sony has priced me out of their market. Me and I'm sure several million other customers.

oaklandhater
11-21-2006, 08:28 AM
If you are referring to manufacturing costs, then you are literally talking about pennies more.

Regardless, what you said has nothing to do with whether or not Blu-Ray is, indeed used in gaming-it is. Which is what I stated in the first place.

Im talking about manufacturing costs and 100 millon pennies adds up over time.And Im trying to prove it was still cost effective to stay with dvd9 over blu-ray.

Lzen
11-21-2006, 08:28 AM
BTW, I played a PS3 at Walmart last night. It was some off road game. The visuals were stunning, as expected. Load time seemed a little lengthy, though. Cool game, very fun. Didn't seem any better than Xbox 360, though. Of course, my personal experience is based on only one game I've played on the 360, Call Of Duty, and the one game I played on the PS3.

dirk digler
11-21-2006, 08:29 AM

recordable DVD-9, $0.30 ($2.50/8.5 GB); and is lower than the cost of a BD-RE25, $1.20 ($30/25 GB)

KcMizzou
11-21-2006, 08:31 AM
I decided awhile ago (when they announced the pricing) that I would go with the 360 this time around. Sony has priced me out of their market. Me and I'm sure several million other customers.You can add me to that list.

I was a big PS2 guy, never owned an Xbox. I picked up the 360 when the $600 number was announced.

oaklandhater
11-21-2006, 08:32 AM
Like a couple others have pointed out, it's not likely that the extra storage capacity will be used in gaming.

Im pretty sure we wont be needing 2 dvd9 discs and even if we do its still cheaper then burning it on a blu-ray disc.

oaklandhater
11-21-2006, 08:35 AM
recordable DVD-9, $0.30 ($2.50/8.5 GB); and is lower than the cost of a BD-RE25, $1.20 ($30/25 GB)

and right there is why Blu-ray is doom to failure in console gameing.

BigChiefFan
11-21-2006, 08:45 AM
and right there is why Blu-ray is doom to failure in console gameing.
Apples to oranges. The Blu-Ray holds alot more capacity. The price will come down, once the market is saturated with Blu-ray. It's simple economics.

BigChiefFan
11-21-2006, 08:50 AM
Like a couple others have pointed out, it's not likely that the extra storage capacity will be used in gaming. That would mean more time to create the games which means it would cost a lot more to produce them. More cost to produce would mean higher retail. Somehow I don't think that's gonna happen.

Hey, if you like your PS3, more power to you. That's your choice and if you're happy with that, great. I would've liked to have had a PS3. I decided awhile ago (when they announced the pricing) that I would go with the 360 this time around. Sony has priced me out of their market. Me and I'm sure several million other customers.

Developers ARE spending more time on developing games and the price went up $10 each for the next generation of games because of this(and greed). Also, I provided a link that clearly shows games are already using MORE capacity than what a DVD9 can hold. Here's the link, again...

Keep in mind that's just a launch title. The games will become more expansive as time goes on and developers figure out the hardware better.

Fish
11-21-2006, 09:18 AM
Developers ARE spending more time on developing games and the price went up $10 each for the next generation of games because of this(and greed). Also, I provided a link that clearly shows games are already using MORE capacity than what a DVD9 can hold. Here's the link, again...

Keep in mind that's just a launch title. The games will become more expansive as time goes on and developers figure out the hardware better.

Yeah.... and I like this comment on the above page....

"lol yeah the game is probably only 5 GIGs because its shit (has anyone veen heard of it before this?) and 17 Gb for DRM and trash to make blu-ray look so good.

they have to do this, or else people will see that BD is a waste of space, and there are currently no game that needs that much."

And this one....

"HD DVD capacity is at 30gigs now! Higher than Blu Ray at this time which is only 25gigs. More marketing nonsense!!"

Or this one....

"Why anyone in their right mind thinks the PS3 is suddenly such a leap ahead. I mean come on and think: all current games are under 9GB - does anyone really think there is suddenly going to be a massive leap to games requiring 22GB? :r

Don't like to break it to PS3 fans but it's the same generation of machine as the 360 and the highend PC games machines at present. None of them require 22GB of space. Neither does the PS3."

Or this one....

"Here's a perfect example for those thinking that DVD does not offer enough storage space and that HD-DVD/Blu-Ray will be necessary to create "truly" next generation games (anyone familiar with PS2 and Xbox backups will know what I'm talking about instantly):

GTA 3 for PS2 = 4.5 gigs (full DVD-5)
GTA 3 for XBOX = 700 megs (seriously)

Faster consoles allow for better compression methods. GTA 3 on the Xbox uses FAR less space than its PS2 cousin, but looks and sounds WAY better. 22 gigs really is a waste of space...."

BigChiefFan
11-21-2006, 09:23 AM
Yeah.... and I like this comment on the above page....

And this one....

Or this one....

Or this one....
Sorry, but Resistance DOES use more storage capacity than a HD-DVD can hold. It's a fact, no matter how much you spin.

Fish
11-21-2006, 09:35 AM
Sorry, but Resistance DOES use more storage capacity than a HD-DVD can hold. It's a fact, no matter how much you spin.

You keep telling yourself that..........

Fact is no PC game out right now is even half that size.... and most PC games have just as good of graphics if not better than PS3.

Sony is bloating their games to provide Blueray hype.... and you're eating it up like Pootie on Huard. There is no reason for current games to use that much storage... and if they did, the cost goes up considerably with each layer needed. Meaning if they start producing games over 25GBs, the price of making a Blueray disk with more than 1 layer is going to go up, while the yield will go down. It's not economical for them at all.

L.A. Chieffan
11-21-2006, 09:42 AM
so, does anybody here actually HAVE a PS3 or a Wii? or is just a buncha people arguing about how fast a HDDVD spins over a blue ray disc

Fruit Ninja
11-21-2006, 09:43 AM
There is only one game i ever seen break the 20 gig mark, and thats a Online RPG.

dirk digler
11-21-2006, 09:56 AM
so, does anybody here actually HAVE a PS3 or a Wii? or is just a buncha people arguing about how fast a HDDVD spins over a blue ray disc

I have a Wii and so far I like it. I am big PC game fan so it is definitely a change to play a console.

steelyeyed57
11-21-2006, 10:05 AM
I honestly don't know or care which is better, but if there is one thing we should all realize, storage capacity will always be needed. If someone would have told me in 1995 that I would have a 120 GB hard drive, and I would need to buy an external 250 gb hard drive, I would not be able to dream what I would have filled it with. I think it's really smart to buffer storage capacity as much as possible, so that you have room to grow and take advantage of the abilities of the machine (if they are as advertised)

Lzen
11-21-2006, 03:18 PM

The only true way to see a difference(if there is a difference) is by customer reviews as well as magazines, etc. Right now, it seems all that is talked about is Sony's marketing BS. In time, I think we'll really start getting a good idea of which is the better deal.

So far, I've seen games on both systems and I don't see Sony's being worth the extra couple hundred. Frankly, I don't see Sony's being better at all. And if they end up using all that additional storage capacity for more content (longer game story lines, more modes/features, etc, then they will have to raise the prices on their games even more. Otherwise, it would not be cost effective. How can you not see that?

htismaqe
11-21-2006, 03:24 PM
Not High-Definition movies, it doesn't. Try again.

So since you BOUGHT a DVD player before the PS2, why the **** are you complaining about the price of the console? You obviously don't mind paying for state-of-the-art technology and also want the most current technology in your homes. Blu-ray and HD-DVD are both a better standard.

You didn't say High Definition movies. You said MOVIES, period.

I'm NOT complaining about the price of the console.

I'm trying to interject some reality into the non-stop Sony HYPE.

htismaqe
11-21-2006, 03:28 PM

The program manager for PS3 was fired by Sony last summer for not keeping his mouth shut.

One of the things he said that got him fired is that NONE of the titles being worked on were "next generation". He said that it would be at least a year before the graphics capabilities were fully realized and that the storage capacity would probably never be tapped.

Redcoats58
11-21-2006, 03:30 PM
The program manager for PS3 was fired by Sony last summer for not keeping his mouth shut.

One of the things he said that got him fired is that NONE of the titles being worked on were "next generation". He said that it would be at least a year before the graphics capabilities were fully realized and that the storage capacity would probably never be tapped.

Just like computer graphics cards, I always thought that it was a given that the full potential wouldn't be shown till later down the road. I've heard that everytime a new console or graphics card came out.

Dallas Chief
11-21-2006, 03:45 PM
BTW, I played a PS3 at Walmart last night. It was some off road game. The visuals were stunning, as expected. Load time seemed a little lengthy, though. Cool game, very fun. Didn't seem any better than Xbox 360, though. Of course, my personal experience is based on only one game I've played on the 360, Call Of Duty, and the one game I played on the PS3.
I played that game on a 1080P LCD-TV(Sony) last week. Believe me, it makes a world of difference in the graphics over the 720p LCD's they are using on the displays at Wal-Mart...

Cochise
11-21-2006, 03:48 PM
Has anybody mentioned that the 360 is going to have HD-DVD by Christmas? Well according to this anyways: http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/05/10/ms_shows_xbox_360_hddvd_drive/

I, personally, don't feel like bluray or HD-DVD are the future anyways. I do not think the future is going to be a physical medium, but rather in the vein of flash storage devices, downloadable content like iTunes has, the way cable movies on demand work, etc. etc. I can see us getting movies and TV shows piped into our houses like a podcast rather than having to go buy some clunky new disc that is just going to get scratched. I bet the media companies would rather do that too, than give us discs we are going to copy and give to our friends.

What we are gravitating toward, in my opinion, is a home entertainment system technology that blends the PC, the gaming console, the media manager, handling of TV programming, the purchasing of entertainment content, and the home theater functions. That's the future, not some shinier new disc widget that holds more stuff and will be available much cheaper in a year or two anyways.

Dallas Chief
11-21-2006, 03:59 PM

Actually, it is not laughable. We need to start looking at this from a different perspective. Think Marketing versus Information Systems. The expanded capacity gives the software providers, i.e. Fox, Warner Bros, Disney, Sony, EA, RockStar, etc the ability to create unique packages of software. Possibly a game and a movie on one disc. How about adding featurettes to the game title? How cool would that be to have 3 animated shorts with the third iteration of Halo? Movies with 5 alternate endings, the possibilites are limitless...all in HD.

Sony is not alone in promoting the Blu-ray format. It will be an industry standard. I would say that it is safe to assume that blu-ray technology will become more mainstream in 2007 and the average retail price will be well below $500. Blu-ray, and HD-DVD for that matter, will allow consumers to have another medium, other than cable, etc. to use the capabilities of the new TV's that they are buying today and in the future. Between now and 2009 we are about to witness the biggest consumer electronics spend in history, and it will be on HDTV's. The content to drive these TV's will become just as important as the sets themselves.

http://www.blu-ray.com/

Dallas Chief
11-21-2006, 04:06 PM

I don't know if I buy that. DVD really took off when a little marketing company from California called APEX destroyed the marketplace in 2002 by dropping DVD players down below $100. Granted, these units were not licensed by the DVD consortium. The head of the company decided to neglect the responsibility to pay the tech royalties and he is now locked up somewhere in SE Asia for fraud...

Dallas Chief
11-21-2006, 04:10 PM

But it's NOT PRACTICAL.

I find the whole IT Professional approach to home entertainment to be very interesting, sometimes myopic, but interesting nonetheless... :hmmm:

Fruit Ninja
11-21-2006, 04:39 PM
i been looking around, and i cannot find anything really positive about a ps3. YOu can find alot of posts on various messageboards about people having a blast with their Wii.

So, still looking for a review for the ps3 that people are having a blast with.

oaklandhater
11-22-2006, 01:27 AM
i been looking around, and i cannot find anything really positive about a ps3. YOu can find alot of posts on various messageboards about people having a blast with their Wii.

I played it the nice thing about the ps3 is its much easier to stream video on a ps3 then a xbox 360.

mcan
11-22-2006, 02:49 AM

BlueRay Technology is freaking awesome. The whole idea is very practical and obvious. Smaller laser = More stuff on the disc. Once the production side gets caught up, the media itself won't be much more expensive, and eventually, BlueRay will be everywhere.

As for the PS3. I don't really care, except that it's going to further the BlueRay technology. As for the PS3 hatred I see, I think it all goes back to consumer bias. If you own a Chevy, you have to hate Ford and vice versa. Since XBox has been out for a year, most of the hardcore gamers (who would normally like to get a PS3) are already biased against it.

dirk digler
11-22-2006, 07:05 AM
Independent reports have been coming in saying that Sony missed it's revised goal of 400,000 units at launch by more than 50%. Indications are that the system can not being made any faster and Sony will struggle to get 400,000 by the end of the year. At that rate, even if every system is sold, they will never catch up with Nintendo or Microsoft.

Sony made a fatal error in putting TWO untested technologies in their latest system. It raises the price, complexity, and output of manufacturing dramatically. Current reports are showing that:

- Approximately 10% of Cell Processors that come off the assembly line are usable (compared to 70%-90% for most other processors)

- All the Blu-ray diodes (laser that reads the disk) have all been diverted to the PS3 because of their inability to manufacture them fast enough.

- Less than half the stores asked by Bloomberg Online said they had enough PS3's to fill their just their preorders.

The bad Cell Processors that Sony has to throw away are cutting directly into their bottom-line. Sony's lack of ability to make the systems fast enough will not only hurt their profits, but their stance in the video game industry. Nintendo and Microsoft will pick up the slack of millions of people who want a new game system this holiday.

If Sony doesn't pick up the pace soon, this console war will be over (for Sony at least) before it even starts. If it takes Sony 6 months to ramp up production, Nintendo and Microsoft will have an huge lead that not even Sony would be able to reach.

oaklandhater
11-22-2006, 10:26 PM
Independent reports have been coming in saying that Sony missed it's revised goal of 400,000 units at launch by more than 50%. Indications are that the system can not being made any faster and Sony will struggle to get 400,000 by the end of the year. At that rate, even if every system is sold, they will never catch up with Nintendo or Microsoft.

Sony made a fatal error in putting TWO untested technologies in their latest system. It raises the price, complexity, and output of manufacturing dramatically. Current reports are showing that:

- Approximately 10% of Cell Processors that come off the assembly line are usable (compared to 70%-90% for most other processors)

- All the Blu-ray diodes (laser that reads the disk) have all been diverted to the PS3 because of their inability to manufacture them fast enough.

- Less than half the stores asked by Bloomberg Online said they had enough PS3's to fill their just their preorders.

The bad Cell Processors that Sony has to throw away are cutting directly into their bottom-line. Sony's lack of ability to make the systems fast enough will not only hurt their profits, but their stance in the video game industry. Nintendo and Microsoft will pick up the slack of millions of people who want a new game system this holiday.

If Sony doesn't pick up the pace soon, this console war will be over (for Sony at least) before it even starts. If it takes Sony 6 months to ramp up production, Nintendo and Microsoft will have an huge lead that not even Sony would be able to reach.

couldn't have happened to a nicer company.

Valiant
11-22-2006, 11:38 PM

All that link shows is sony is using the extra storage for music and bonus material.. Nothing substantial to the game... Agian you have proven nothing about the blu-ray being viable to the average consumer..

Blu-ray/hd-dvd are only good for home storage use...

And check all of our blu-ray dvds at work a good 50 plus.. NOt one was entirely used...

Valiant
11-22-2006, 11:39 PM

We have the ps3 and 360 in our breakroom at work, and I have a 360 at home and maybe a wii soon.. That little ****ing thing is awesome...

Guru
11-22-2006, 11:44 PM
Got the Nintendo here. I refuse to call it a W......

Valiant
11-22-2006, 11:54 PM
[QUOTE=Dallas Chief]Actually, it is not laughable. We need to start looking at this from a different perspective. Think Marketing versus Information Systems. The expanded capacity gives the software providers, i.e. Fox, Warner Bros, Disney, Sony, EA, RockStar, etc the ability to create unique packages of software. Possibly a game and a movie on one disc. How about adding featurettes to the game title? How cool would that be to have 3 animated shorts with the third iteration of Halo? Movies with 5 alternate endings, the possibilites are limitless...all in HD.

Sony is not alone in promoting the Blu-ray format. It will be an industry standard. I would say that it is safe to assume that blu-ray technology will become more mainstream in 2007 and the average retail price will be well below $500. Blu-ray, and HD-DVD for that matter, will allow consumers to have another medium, other than cable, etc. to use the capabilities of the new TV's that they are buying today and in the future. Between now and 2009 we are about to witness the biggest consumer electronics spend in history, and it will be on HDTV's. The content to drive these TV's will become just as important as the sets themselves.

---------------------------------------------
How many people do you know care about gettingn 5 alternate endings or some crappy animated shorts??? I will chalk it up to different groups for different things on my opinion compared to yours...

The storage will never be used in this line of consoles as a game will not run off of the console without some serious loading and slowdown.. The memory cache on the ps3 or 360 could not handle a 15g game without some serious slowdown or mulitple loading zones.. Ala Dead Rising or the new FF...

The blu-ray technology is great but will not be realized by the console s until the next lineup come out...

----

A good majority of people will upgrade to the new hdtv's but but I would say 30% of the population will just by the convertor box to use they existing tv's for the new format when it launches...

People are not hating on PS3 because of thier 360 love... It is getting the bad press for the way they have tried to force its greatness on the consumer... It is a great technology for the future, but not for the price now as competitors are offering better deals in the consumers eyes...

Hell in my opinion Nintendo is going to win this round with the least technological advance console, no movie playback or fancy features..

Valiant
11-22-2006, 11:58 PM
The movie packaged with the PS 3 is 50 GB, and that is Talladega Nights. Black Hawk Down is 50 GB as well as Click. There are a few others I believe but I don't know the whole list off the top of my head. These have just started coming out about a month ago and it is becoming more standard for the movies to be 50 GB rather than 25 GB.

The movie itself is not 50GB that is what I am getting at... That thing if filled with fluff, you are getting a disc with useless extras..

The only dvds that have been worth their money is the LOTR extended versions...

And that is my point on these discs, there only value is you could literally get multiple movies or eposides on the discs compared to dvd's which is awesome..

But you are not going to get one actually movie to fill up a blu-ray by itself even in 1080p/i..

Fruit Ninja
11-23-2006, 12:05 AM
BlueRay Technology is freaking awesome. The whole idea is very practical and obvious. Smaller laser = More stuff on the disc. Once the production side gets caught up, the media itself won't be much more expensive, and eventually, BlueRay will be everywhere.

As for the PS3. I don't really care, except that it's going to further the BlueRay technology. As for the PS3 hatred I see, I think it all goes back to consumer bias. If you own a Chevy, you have to hate Ford and vice versa. Since XBox has been out for a year, most of the hardcore gamers (who would normally like to get a PS3) are already biased against it.
i know thats true about the hating going on Me personally, i dont give a shit who makes the system,as long as its a system i like, i bouth Nes, Snes, N64, Dreamcast, Ps1 and a xbox. I wasnt impressed with a ps2.

From what my friends have been telling me about the Wii thats what i am going to get. Everyone is having a blast with their Wii.

I knwo a few people with a ps3, and none of them have said anything that has sold me on that.

I am going to buy a Wii for sure. They are supposed to release mroe this week and next week. So we will see.

While Blue Ray may be awesome. Sony totally f'ed up this Launch. I think they are done personally.

Guru
11-23-2006, 12:12 AM
i know thats true about the hating going on Me personally, i dont give a shit who makes the system,as long as its a system i like, i bouth Nes, Snes, N64, Dreamcast, Ps1 and a xbox. I wasnt impressed with a ps2.

From what my friends have been telling me about the Wii thats what i am going to get. Everyone is having a blast with their Wii.

I knwo a few people with a ps3, and none of them have said anything that has sold me on that.

I am going to buy a Wii for sure. They are supposed to release mroe this week and next week. So we will see.

While Blue Ray may be awesome. Sony totally f'ed up this Launch. I think they are done personally.

And that is why I choose to say Nintendo. ROFL

meStevo
11-23-2006, 01:23 AM
Nintendo has automatic success with he Wii because of the price point IMO.

If I had a child and I wasn't a gamer, and they're begging for a PS3 or 360, they're getting a Wii for Xmas.

I conned my parents into a $300 Sega CD somehow but $500-600 is a bit much.

A lot of the additional space being used on the HDDVD/BlueRay discs is uncompressed audio too, which a lot of people aren't going to be in a position to appreciate.

I'm a 360 fanboy, because primarily I own one, and all of the hype for the PS3 is utterly ridiculous. The biggest one, and I apologize if it has already been mentioned....

Sony has stated the life cycle for the PS3 will be 10 years (Google it). Ten! The PS2, which was a great success (and in japan initially bought more for the 'cheap DVD player' than for the games - resulting in huge initial concerns because system costs were not being recouped by accessories and game purchases...) and has only been out 6 years last month.

I expect in the next 2 years we'll see an incorporated HDDVD drive (assuming a clear victor, if not, a BD external drive will be introduced) at the current or slightly decreased price points, and in 4-5 we'll be oogling screens of the next Xbox.

With this staggered release, one company coming out with one, and then the other a year or so later, someone has to slip up to determine the winner of this race. How long will the cycle continue? A generation or two, or has Sony already done enough slipping to be unable to catch up?

It should be interesting to watch, I love my Xbox and I think it's been nicely executed. As objectively as I can look at it, I just can't see the PS3 as a success, it has SO much to prove, and SO much to catch up on.

Meanwhile, Nintendo will reap the benefits with some little non HD system that caters to the millions upon millions who have owned their handhelds.

With the significantly lower powered Wii really being such a niche system, with games that will be like nothing that can be on the 360 and PS3, i really wish they'd whore out their franchises and allow large epic Zeldas, Metroids and Marios and stuff in glorious HD on the other systems... they can't compete.... people that are die hards for those franchises will buy a 360/PS3 AND a Wii for their franchises.

ok... /babble off. Thanks for the predictable but nonetheless interesting read through this thread.

JBucc
11-23-2006, 04:29 AM
I got to play Wii sports Wednesday. It was fun.

oaklandhater
11-23-2006, 05:11 AM
any one here who got a wii play Madden yet I hear it completely changes the game?

Guru
11-23-2006, 05:14 AM
any one here who got a wii play Madden yet I hear it completely changes the game?

I have heard the same but have not seen it myself yet.

I know, useless post.

oaklandhater
11-23-2006, 06:00 AM
what games did you get for it guru I picked up zelda and Red steel.