PDA

View Full Version : Dear Mike Sweeney,

Pitt Gorilla
01-17-2001, 03:00 PM
Last year, you visited Pittsburg, Ks on your barnstorming publicity tour. I had to let class out a little early to get to the bank where you guys were before you left. I appreciated the words you wrote, as well as the other guys. Mike, JoePo's article a few weeks ago about you was dead on; You are a KC guy. In a time of the "me" athlete, you helped charter the team concept. While criminals were covering as role models, you quietly personified everything that was right in sports. KC needs you. Please sign the contract.

Note to Baird:
Pony up the cash. This guy's worth every penny.

Note to BB members:
Don't expect much more of this "softer side" anytime soon!!! ;)

DaWolf
01-17-2001, 03:26 PM
Can you believe Muser wanted to trade the guy a year ago?

redhed
01-17-2001, 03:34 PM
The Royals will sign Sweeney. He'll get a big contract by the Royals' standards.

MIKE SWEENEY = A REAL HUMAN!

TheBigChief
01-17-2001, 06:05 PM
I am a big Royals baseball fan. I have watched Mike Sweeney since he started with the big league club and he is for sure a quality person both on and off the field. I would much rather see the Royals give money to a guy like Sweeney rather than Johnny Damon.

Mi_chief_fan
01-18-2001, 01:25 PM
Signed a 2 year contract today, financial terms undisclosed. Now you Royals fans should be happy, at least until the season starts. ;)

ChiTown
01-18-2001, 01:36 PM
Huge disappointment.

I was hoping that the Royals would be able to pony up for a big long term contract. They were originally looking at a 3yr $15mm deal, which is still not good. Looks like it was a 2 year deal @$10mm.

The Royals should have sacked up and put down $9+mm/yr for 5 years. For Sweeney, this would have been a bargain by todays standards.

Very disappointing. After next years work stoppage, it looks like Sweeney will only have one more year in a Royals uni.

Mi_chief_fan
01-18-2001, 01:41 PM
Chitown,
I'm sure the greatest NL franchise of all time, which resides on I-70 on the other side of the state, would greet him with open arms after the work stoppage & their hall of fame 1st baseman is retired.

ChiTown
01-18-2001, 01:50 PM
Fug that!

I'll puke if Sweeney's wearing a Cardinal hat in '03.

Mi_chief_fan
01-18-2001, 01:52 PM
Yeah, the Cubs would be a more likely destination. There used to losing like the Royals.

ChiTown
01-18-2001, 01:57 PM
It must suck knowing that the only time the "Greatest NL team of All Time" has ever faced the lowly Royals when it meant something, they lost.

ChiTown
~Was home from College and at Royals Stadium game 6, and was in Aggieville hammered ****less during game 7.

Mi_chief_fan
01-18-2001, 01:59 PM
The Royals were a great team that year, too. Their MVP, however, was Don Denkinger.

ChiTown
01-18-2001, 02:08 PM
WAH!

ChiTown
~crying towels are in the corner, please help yourself to several.

Mi_chief_fan
01-18-2001, 02:10 PM
C'mon, Chitown, you can do better than that! Besides, I was only in 4th grade at the time.

BTW, who will be your team when the Royals fold after the new agreement?

DaWolf
01-18-2001, 02:13 PM
The Royals don't want to sign people for long term right now until he next labor negotiation is settled...

revolver808
01-18-2001, 02:24 PM
Mi-Chiefs fan-

If the Royals were to fold, you Cards fans would be in bigger trouble than us. You guys think you can step up to the plate with George Steinbrenner, Rupert Murdoch and co.??? Sorry kids, I know St. Louey is a great baseball market blah blah blah, but a 120 million dollar payrolls just ain't in the cards no matter how stoked the redbird faithful is.
Truth be told, a couple years ago I was indeed very worried about the future of Kansas City baseball, but no longer. David Glass will be one of the leading voices for instilling the competitive balance the league so sorely needs.... the Royals ain't goin' anywhere, thank god!! My point is, if the Royals can't make it, then not many teams will be able to.... leaving your beloved Cards near the bottom of the remaining scrap heap.

Mark-
realizes the issue of competitive balance affects even scornful St. Louisans.

Mi_chief_fan
01-18-2001, 02:44 PM
Revolver,
That Cards will be able to compete because of 3 things:
1) Putting a quality product on the field
2) Selling out most games & ranking in the top 5 in attendance, again
3) The new stadium, coming in either 2003/04.

Murdoch & Steinbrenner want to win, but their also businessmen. The Dodgers want to slash some payroll, and are trying to trade Gary Sheffield. Neither one of them are willing to lose money to win.

But don't get me wrong, a change is long overdue, but to suggest that the Cardinals, Giants, Cubs, White Sox, etc. cannot compete is wrong, THEY can. It's the really small markets(KC, Pittsburgh, Montreal, etc.) that are at a disadvantage.

Iowanian
01-18-2001, 02:47 PM
I hope they do install a salary cap similar to the NFL..it would even the field for small market teams, and maybe keep ticket prices managable so that a schmoe like me can afford to take a small group of boys to a game and not have to sell a kidney...last time I took 3 boys to a Royals game i thought I'd need some of "this"...
http://cwm.ragesofsanity.com/s/tweetz/ky.gif

A-Rod's contract was fuggin rediculous TO PLAY A GAME!!!

These whiney arse biatches should have to try some real work for a petty wage...

[Edited by Iowanian on 01-18-2001 at 03:56 PM]

Pitt Gorilla
01-18-2001, 03:35 PM
Why is it that a Card fan can't go 5 seconds without mentioning Denkinger. Get over it!!! It was a SEVEN game series, not a one call series!!!

Pitt Gorilla
01-18-2001, 11:26 PM
Do the Cards develop ANY of their own talent anymore? Post #6 leads me to believe they don't!!

Mi_chief_fan
01-19-2001, 02:33 PM
Calm down, Royals fans.

OK, i'm a cards fan first, but as a Missouri native I also root for the Royals to do well. They are the only AL team I give a crap about, can't stand watching the 'Arena baseball' over in the Junior circuit.

I think the Royals have some of the best young talent in the AL, with Sweeney, Dye, Beltran, Febles, and picked up a pretty good closer in the Damon trade. If some of their young arms mature, they could possibly contend in the Central, because the only team with any pitching is Chicago, and they're just an injury away from the pack.

Good luck this season Royals fans. Don't hold my redbird loyalty against me. I am, however, still a Chiefs fan.

58Forever
01-19-2001, 03:07 PM
Dear Mike,

May I have a loan?

At least Sweeny seems like a pretty good guy who actually wanted to stay...but I'm still not satisfied that any athlete is worth 13 mil...

unless of course they can gaurantee a WS or SB... :D

why don't the smilies work all the time?

[Edited by 58Forever on 01-19-2001 at 04:09 PM]

Frazod
01-19-2001, 03:19 PM
You have to put a space behind the smiley - if you just hit return, it won't work.

At least that's my trial-and-error solution.

58Forever
01-19-2001, 03:24 PM
Thanks fraz

:eek:

seems to work :)