PDA

View Full Version : Lack of Donks in Hall of Fame 'disrespectful'

siberian khatru
11-18-2006, 08:16 AM
:deevee: :deevee: :deevee:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2666957

Little: Lack of Broncos in Hall of Fame 'disrespectful'

Associated Press
DENVER -- Toward the end of his career, Floyd Little's name was routinely prefaced with the words "future Hall of Famer.''

He hasn't shaken it. The former Denver running back is still waiting for an induction into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

The only thing is, Little doesn't care anymore. He's not stumping for himself -- as much -- any longer. Little has another cause -- his former team.

"Forget about Floyd Little, the [Hall of Fame] has already forgotten about me,'' he said. "But how do you go to six Super Bowls and only have one representative? That's disrespectful to overlook our players. My concern today is Denver.''

The only Broncos player in the Hall is quarterback John Elway.

The Broncos had three players -- running back Terrell Davis, linebacker Randy Gradishar and left tackle Gary Zimmerman -- make the list of the final 25 nominees this past week. The list will be whittled down to 15 in January and a final vote will be taken the day before the Super Bowl to see who gets enshrined.

Little, who rushed for 6,323 yards and went to three Pro Bowls in his nine-year career, thinks Davis should be a lock. Davis is Denver's all-time leading rusher with 7,607 yards in a career cut short by knee injuries.

"Terrell was a great player,'' Little said. "The reason why he [might not] get in is because he played for the Broncos. If he played for the New York Giants -- if I played for the New York Giants -- and had these numbers, there would be no question. I think it's horrible we don't have more in there.''

Denver isn't alone, of course. Some teams have no players -- who've played a majority of their careers for the franchise -- in the Hall (including the Falcons, Ravens, Jaguars and Panthers) and others have only one (Tampa Bay, New Orleans, Cincinnati and Seattle). Chicago has 26.

Little, who runs a Ford dealership in Seattle, will have to wait at least another season for his opportunity. In August, the Pro Football Hall of Fame's Seniors Committee recommended Cleveland Browns guard Gene Hickerson and Detroit Lions tight end Charlie Sanders as finalists for possible election with the Class of 2007.

Not that Little pays much attention.

"I'm done with it,'' said Little, who played for Denver from 1967-75.

That's to be expected, though.

"What happens is you get to that point -- you can't care every year or it would drive you nuts,'' said former Oakland Raiders coach and current commentator John Madden, who was inducted last summer. "Floyd was a great player and a Hall of Fame-type guy. I think [he'll get in].''

Little used to be consumed by not being among the immortals of the game. He wrote letters to the voters saying, "People ask me why I'm not in the Hall of Fame. I've run out of answers. I'm writing to you for an answer.''

The ones who responded basically said he belonged in, which further irritated him.

But then he went to Syracuse University last season for a retirement ceremony. The Orange were honoring those football players who wore No. 44 -- players like Ernie Davis, Jim Brown and Little -- by retiring the number. Sitting at a table with Brown, a fan came up to Little and said, "You should be in the Hall of Fame, too.''

Brown had a chat with his friend.

"Jim said, 'Look, anyone who's played against you and with you and watched you play knows you're a Hall of Famer,''' Little recalled. "For now, leave it at that.''

But Little can't. Not with only Elway in the Hall to represent Denver.

Denver receiver Rod Smith is with Little on his crusade.

"I didn't realize it until John was inducted that he was the first Broncos player,'' Smith said. "I was shocked. I was like, 'Wait a minute, hold up, with history of Broncos no one else is in? That's a travesty. Guys like Little, Dennis Smith, Karl Mecklenburg, they should be in. A lot of guys should be. That's hard to swallow for me. Hopefully John getting in will open the door.''

Little hopes so, too.

"The life expectancy of a running back who's played in the NFL is 58,'' said Little, who just published a book on his time with the Broncos. "I'm 64. If I go into the Hall, I want to be in while I'm alive and can celebrate. I don't want to be elected posthumously.''

He paused.

"All the articles used to say future Hall of Famer,'' Little said. "What changed? The answer is I played in Denver. They [voters] don't respect our players. Had I played anywhere else we would not be having this conversation.''

StcChief
11-18-2006, 08:21 AM
Floyd Little.... Cry me a Freakin' river.

Let's not go down the NFL has no respect for players
in Dungver BS.

jspchief
11-18-2006, 08:22 AM
Bronco hating aside, I'm not sure there are any other deserving players. Just because they went to a lot of Superbowls doesn't mean they had individual HoF talent.

siberian khatru
11-18-2006, 08:27 AM
Bronco hating aside, I'm not sure there are any other deserving players. Just because they went to a lot of Superbowls doesn't mean they had individual HoF talent.

Exactly. They went to a bunch of those SB's mostly because of the guy who IS in the HoF, and very deservedly so.

But Bronco-hating is the main thrust of this thread. :D

DaFace
11-18-2006, 08:28 AM
The comparison to Chicago is completely and utterly retarded. The MAJORITY of Chicago's players in the hall played before the Broncos even existed.

blueballs
11-18-2006, 08:28 AM
wasn't the Broncos a laughing stock for years
the winning(helps inducties) is rather new

RNR
11-18-2006, 08:29 AM
That is wild, Dennis Smith, Karl Mecklenburg, Little, and Tombstone Jackson should all be in.

siberian khatru
11-18-2006, 08:33 AM
OMG, a rare RNR sighting!!!!

How the hell are ya?

Thig Lyfe
11-18-2006, 08:37 AM
hahahaha!

RNR
11-18-2006, 08:38 AM
OMG, a rare RNR sighting!!!!

How the hell are ya?
Not too bad and yourself? back home and will be around morer often. Spent the last few years working on the road didnt get on the pute much.

StcChief
11-18-2006, 08:40 AM
It is Raider week
where are the other trolls.

Keeping a Low profile as we are gonna kick their A$$.

Blackened
Eye Patch

boogblaster
11-18-2006, 08:43 AM
Donks only deserve Hall of Shame inductions ....

scott free
11-18-2006, 08:45 AM
It is Raider week
where are the other trolls.

Keeping a Low profile as we are gonna kick their A$$.

Blackened
Eye Patch

autumnwind has been around this week cutting verbal farts.

DaFace
11-18-2006, 08:55 AM
In case anyone cares, here's a break down of hall-of-famers that accounts for years of a franchise's existence in the NFL:
Team HoFers FoundYr Yrs HoFers/Decade
Arizona Cardinals 10 1920 86 1.2
Atlanta Falcons 0 1966 40 0.0
Buffalo Bills 5 1960 46 1.1
Chicago Bears 26 1920 86 3.0
Cincinnati Bengals 1 1970 36 0.3
Cleveland Browns 15 1950 56 2.7
Dallas Cowboys 9 1960 46 2.0
Denver Broncos 1 1960 46 0.2
Detroit Lions 12 1930 76 1.6
Green Bay Packers 21 1921 85 2.5
Indianapolis Colts 10 1953 53 1.9
Kansas City Chiefs 7 1960 46 1.5
Miami Dolphins 9 1966 40 2.3
Minnesota Vikings 7 1961 45 1.6
New England Patriots 3 1960 46 0.7
New Orleans Saints 1 1967 39 0.3
New York Giants 18 1925 81 2.2
New York Jets 4 1969 37 1.1
Oakland Raiders 13 1960 46 2.8
Philadelphia Eagles 9 1933 73 1.2
Pittsburgh Steelers 17 1933 73 2.3
San Diego Chargers 6 1960 46 1.3
San Francisco 49ers 11 1950 56 2.0
Seattle Seahawks 1 1976 30 0.3
St. Louis Rams 13 1937 69 1.9
Tampa Bay Buccaneers 1 1976 30 0.3
Tennessee Titans 6 1960 46 1.3
Washington Redskins 15 1932 74 2.0
Baltimore Ravens 0 1996 10 0.0
Carolina Panthers 0 1995 11 0.0
Houston Texans 0 2002 4 0.0
Jacksonville Jaguars 0 1995 11 0.0

milkman
11-18-2006, 08:58 AM
I remember watching Little, and thinking that guy was good, but 6300 yards in 9 years isn't all that great.

DanT
11-18-2006, 08:58 AM
Here's Floyd Little's page on ProFootballReference.com:

http://www.profootballreference.com/players/LittFl00.htm

He had a great year in 1971 and several solid years, but it's not a mystery why he's not in the Hall of Fame, at least not to me.

RNR
11-18-2006, 09:02 AM
I remember watching Little, and thinking that guy was good, but 6300 yards in 9 years isn't all that great.
Whats up milk?

siberian khatru
11-18-2006, 09:06 AM
Not too bad and yourself? back home and will be around morer often. Spent the last few years working on the road didnt get on the pute much.

Doing fine here. Glad to see you back. Hope to see you post more.

How's your son? I seem to remember you talking a lot about him back in the day. Hope all is well with him.

milkman
11-18-2006, 09:10 AM
Whats up milk?

Not a hell of a lot.

Hoping the lowly Raiders don't decide to play their game of the year tomorrow, but this is the Chiefs, and the Raiders always get up for the Chiefs.

RNR
11-18-2006, 09:12 AM
Doing fine here. Glad to see you back. Hope to see you post more.

How's your son? I seem to remember you talking a lot about him back in the day. Hope all is well with him.
My son is doing great, he is a Airborne Ranger stationed in north Iraq. He is the main reason I'm back online, the pute is the best way to stay in touch.

milkman
11-18-2006, 09:12 AM
BTW, with the exception of Tombstone, I don't think any of those players you metioned belong.

Steve Atwater does, though.

RNR
11-18-2006, 09:16 AM
Not a hell of a lot.

Hoping the lowly Raiders don't decide to play their game of the year tomorrow, but this is the Chiefs, and the Raiders always get up for the Chiefs.
Not holding out much hope! at least in boxing somebody will stop a fight! While watching Oakland this year I found myself wishing a ref would wave his arms and just stop it!

dirk digler
11-18-2006, 09:16 AM
:deevee:

If Otis Taylor can't get in this doucebag shouldn't.

Bald but Beautiful
11-18-2006, 09:20 AM
As much as dislike the Donks, but some of these aforementioned players deserve to be in the Hall. Peeps like Gradishar, Mecklenburg, T. Davis, Steve Atwater, T. Jackson, and when Rod Smith is finished are all deserving of being in the Hall. I hope this is not a sacrilege, but if Derrick Thomas is worthy of being in the Hall, then this players should too.

milkman
11-18-2006, 09:23 AM
:deevee:

If Otis Taylor can't get in this doucebag shouldn't.

In spite of the fact that Little was Donkey, he isn't a bad guy.

alanm
11-18-2006, 09:24 AM
BTW, with the exception of Tombstone, I don't think any of those players you metioned belong.

Mecklenburg should be in there. Jackson falls a little short and Atwater possibly. Though Atwater was solid, he made his rep for all time on one hit. :)

CupidStunt
11-18-2006, 09:26 AM
Guys like Atwater and Davis WILL get in - but they're only just barely eligible, and neither has a First Ballot resume.

milkman
11-18-2006, 09:31 AM
Mecklenburg should be in there. Jackson falls a little short and Atwater possibly. Though Atwater was solid, he made his rep for all time on one hit. :)

I think Meclenburg was a good player, with some versatility, on an average defense, but he wasn't really a difference maker.

dirk digler
11-18-2006, 09:35 AM
Atwater retired in 99 and I don't he has been close to making it into the Hall of Fame but I could be wrong.

milkman
11-18-2006, 09:53 AM
Atwater retired in 99 and I don't he has been close to making it into the Hall of Fame but I could be wrong.

The problem with Atwater is that he was a great player on an average defense, plying a position that historically doesn't get a lot of HoF recognition.

There are only 7 safeties in the Hall.

When you look at the breakdown of the HoF inductees, there are something like 117 offensive players, while only 66 defensive players.

Makes one question the voters, and the voting process.

Adept Havelock
11-18-2006, 10:03 AM
As much as dislike the Donks, but some of these aforementioned players deserve to be in the Hall. Peeps like Gradishar, Mecklenburg, T. Davis, Steve Atwater, T. Jackson, and when Rod Smith is finished are all deserving of being in the Hall. I hope this is not a sacrilege, but if Derrick Thomas is worthy of being in the Hall, then this players should too.

Sacrilege! Burn him! Burn him!

:p

milkman
11-18-2006, 10:11 AM
In the end, a lot of great players that are deserving of HoF recognition don't make it.

I think Tommy Nobis was a better LB than Ray Nitsche, but Nitsche played for the Packers, while Nobis had the misfortune of playing for the lowly Falcons.

shaneo69
11-18-2006, 10:13 AM

Atwater deserves to get in. Right after Deron Cherry makes it.

milkman
11-18-2006, 10:15 AM
Atwater deserves to get in. Right after Deron Cherry makes it.

And Cherry deserves to get in right after Johnny Robinson.

shaneo69
11-18-2006, 10:18 AM
And Cherry deserves to get in right after Johnny Robinson.

Never saw Johnny play, but based on Gretz' comparison of Robinson and Larry Wilson, I'd tend to agree with you.

milkman
11-18-2006, 10:22 AM
Never saw Johnny play, but based on Gretz' comparison of Robinson and Larry Wilson, I'd tend to agree with you.

The point is, they are all great players, deserving of the HoF, but they all played a position, and for teams, that simply don't get the recognition they deserve.

Johnny Robinson is among the top ten all time in career interceptions.

OctoberFart
11-18-2006, 10:22 AM
Gradishar deserves the nod, Rod Smith when eligable, Shannyrat will get in when he quits, Champ Bailey most likely will, Atwater should be but probably won't, Tom Jackson possibly, Zimmerman was one of the best at the LT position so possibly. They will add a few in the future.

mikey23545
11-18-2006, 10:32 AM
The point is, they are all great players, deserving of the HoF, but they all played a position, and for teams, that simply don't get the recognition they deserve.

Johnny Robinson is among the top ten all time in career interceptions.

Holy crap, I never realized Johnny was not in the HOF....I guess I just automatically assumed he must have been in there...Now <i>that</i> is a travesty of justice....

milkman
11-18-2006, 10:34 AM
Holy crap, I never realized Johnny was not in the HOF....I guess I just automatically assumed he must have been in there...Now <i>that</i> is a travesty of justice....

Emmit Thomas isn't there either, and he is also a top 10 career interceptor.

DanT
11-18-2006, 01:59 PM
If Floyd Little deserves to get in, then Priest Holmes is a lock.

Bowser
11-18-2006, 02:07 PM
Waitaminnit......there are 10 St. Louis/Arizona Cardinals in the Hall, and one Bronco? AHHHHhahahahahaahahahahahahaha!!!

I guess Plummer will go in as a Cardinal one day? :LOL:

TEX
11-18-2006, 02:22 PM
FU*K anything Denver.

I wonder if violating the salary cap during their Super Bowl seasons is considered disrespectful or just simply cheating? Ditto for their O-line wearing cooking grease...

Direckshun
11-18-2006, 03:15 PM
OMGosh, are you saying the NFL has a bias against the midwest?

Say it ain't so.

Frazod
11-18-2006, 03:31 PM
Unfortunately for Denver, Thin Air and Cooking Spray were never officially on the roster.

Halfcan
11-18-2006, 07:28 PM
The Cheatin Donks should have their only player removed from the Hall of Shame.