PDA

View Full Version : How often do you get a notice for jury duty?

alnorth
11-18-2006, 12:19 PM
How often do you get one of those, and does where you live make much of a difference?

I've voted in every general election, but in the last 10 years, I received only one notice. Most of those 10 years were in rural Kansas, so that may have something to do with it. I've now moved near downtown Des Moines, switched over to an Iowania DL, and just voted, so I guess I'll be in their computers now.

Did I just get lucky in Kansas, or is it normal to get close to nothing out in the middle of nowhere?

Reerun_KC
11-18-2006, 12:21 PM
Never ever had one.

I think it could be interesting, but I guess you have to register in their system. I try to stay annoymous.

Brock
11-18-2006, 12:24 PM
Bout every 5 years.

Iowanian
11-18-2006, 12:35 PM
I never have.

JBucc
11-18-2006, 12:35 PM
never

Frazod
11-18-2006, 12:37 PM
(Knocking on wood) never. And my wife got called about four months ago and isn't registered to vote. Weird.

blueballs
11-18-2006, 12:54 PM
I live in a sleepy little county
murder every 10 years or so

Baconeater
11-18-2006, 01:06 PM
I've never received one.

Skip Towne
11-18-2006, 01:18 PM
once in 50 years.

Nzoner
11-18-2006, 01:37 PM
I've gotten two in the last year,one locally and one for federal in Kansas City.Thankfully I've been excused from both due to my responsibilities to my business.

Stewie
11-18-2006, 01:45 PM
I served in the late '80s and haven't been called back since. I guess they feel sorry for me since I wasted a whole day while the defendant copped a plea. It was a sexual assault case and I'da hung the sucker. :)

Lzen
11-18-2006, 02:04 PM
I've voted in every election since I've been of age(not sure if that has anything to do with it). I had never had to do jury duty until a couple years ago when I was 32. I ended up serving on a trial of some thug that shot into a house and hit this 13 year old girl in the face. She lived through it, though. We ended up convicting him.

I got another jury notice earlier this year (just 2 years after the first one). I hadn't gotten a jury notice for the 14 years since I was eligible and then I get 2 of them in 2 years time. I think that shows that it's just random. Luckily, I didn't have to actually serve on a jury this last time. I did have to call in the first 3 days of the week but I had a high number and they never got to those.

L.A. Chieffan
11-18-2006, 02:05 PM
I keep getting em, but I just throw them away. That's OK right?

Bwana
11-18-2006, 02:20 PM
Those bastards have my number. :shake: I have served twice and been called several other times. The last time was for district court and in theory I was to be in the selection process the same day as my parents 50th wedding celebration. I called the court without giving my name and explained what was going on. They said I had to still come in. :spock:

Needless to say, I said **** that. My wife was all worried they were going to show up and toss my ass in jail or something, which made me laugh like I was watching Caddyshack for the first time.

The reason I didn't worry about it was they sent the notice via regular mail, no signature required, it just showed up in the mail box one day. Before they could do Jackshit about it, they would have to prove it arrived. (Geee, it never showed up) even if I would of had to sign something, I would have blown them off under the circumstances. I never heard a word.

Simply Red
11-18-2006, 02:27 PM
Noticed once. Went for like 2-days. Got paid around 60-dollars.