PDA

View Full Version : The injury situation - amazing that we're over .500

Rain Man
11-19-2006, 03:59 PM
Is this a really good team that's been fighting through horrific injuries?

Imagine, if you will, a team that has had the following injuries through Game 10.

1. Pro Bowl Quarterback out for over 8 games
2. Fullback out for 2 or 3, backed up by a tight end
3. Pro Bowl left tackle retired in training camp, new starter out for 3 or 4 games
4. Pro Bowl left guard out for two games
5. Right tackle suspended for four games, not active for four more
6. Pro Bowl tight end out for one game.
7. First-round rookie pick at left defensive end out for 1+ games
8. Former first-round pick at left outside linebacker out for 1+ games
9. Starting free safety out for 2 games.

Wouldn't you expect that team to have a worse record than they would otherwise have if they'd been more healthy?

Our offensive line combinations so far this year have been at least the following (LT, LG, C, RG, RT):

Turley, Waters, Wiegman, Shields, Sampson
Turley, Waters, Wiegman, Shields, Black
Black, Waters, Wiegman, Shields, Sampson
Black, Waters, Wiegman, Shields, Turley
Black, Bober, Wiegman, Shields, Turley
Black, Bober, Wiegman, Shields, Terry (at least situationally)
Black, Bober, Wiegman, Shields, Welbourne
Black, Welbourne, Wiegman, Shields, Turley

and probably more.

The thing that heartens me about this is that, if we can get all of the guys back, the team will turbo-improve, and we all know that you'd rather be getting better going into the playoffs than getting worse.

siberian khatru
11-19-2006, 04:01 PM
I still don't think we're going to the playoffs, but even to finish 9-7 or even 8-8 with all the bad mojo ... yeah, that's not bad.

ROYC75
11-19-2006, 04:02 PM
Me thinks we are an middle of the road ( average ) team that is very lucky to have a winning record..........

Short Leash Hootie
11-19-2006, 04:05 PM
well if someone told me all of this would happen before the season started, and that we'd be 6-4 after 10 games, I'd be stoked.

Rain Man
11-19-2006, 04:05 PM
I think we'll win the Super Bowl, and this is the inevitable low point from which we accelerate through the rest of the season.

boogblaster
11-19-2006, 04:06 PM
Hope they roll-on down to the POs...and let Allen take Pootie under the bleachers and kick it in the vigina...

JimNasium
11-19-2006, 04:08 PM
I also have serious doubts about us being a playoff team but do believe that the team is just a couple of pieces away from being a serious contender.

JimNasium
11-19-2006, 04:09 PM
I also have serious doubts about us being a playoff team but do believe that the team is just a couple of pieces away from being a serious contender.
And it would seem that I'm quite serious about it as I seriously used the word serious twice in the same sentence. Seriously. It's a funny sounding word, serious. Say it five times quickly, seriously.

siberian khatru
11-19-2006, 04:10 PM
Sad how some people have to quote themselves to finish that Bataan Death March-like climb to 10,000 posts.

siberian khatru
11-19-2006, 04:11 PM
Sad how some people have to quote themselves to finish that Bataan Death March-like climb to 10,000 posts.

Or 20,000.

JimNasium
11-19-2006, 04:12 PM
Or 20,000.
Seriously?

JimNasium
11-19-2006, 04:12 PM
Seriously?
Yeah, he's serious all right.

leviw
11-19-2006, 04:34 PM
I think this IS a playoff team.

Herm said we've got a chance to get Waters, Johnson, Wesley and Tony G. back Thursday night. If we do that, combined with Trent back, we're running close to full strength for the first time in a loooong time.

Herm has done a fantastic job plugging holes and making this team believe they can win, no matter who is out there.

tk13
11-19-2006, 04:51 PM
I was thinking this today too. If we were 3-7, we could all just say "Eh, injuries", and it'd make a lot of sense. But Herm has done a great job of keeping the team focused.... haven't had a lot of pretty wins but they're W's.

You realize after today and the Jets loss, we are in complete control of our playoff destiny now. That Jags game during week 17 is looking bigger by the week.

the Talking Can
11-19-2006, 04:57 PM
I really think that speaks to coaching.

And I agree with your post.

tk13
11-19-2006, 05:05 PM
Actually, if the Giants beat the Jags tomorrow night, we'd be the 6th seed all by ourselves. Of course it'd probably still come down to that last week.... but the Jags have 4 of their last 6 games on the road, and the two home games in there are Indy and New England. I'd take a one game lead into the home stretch and take my chances. Go Giants tomorrow night.