PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs' salary cap info

BigRock
11-19-2006, 05:46 PM
This was posted in one of the gameday blogs at Fox Sports. Just thought I'd copy it in case anyone was curious.

When the season started, the NFL had six teams with salary cap room in excess of $10 million. Today, there is only one, the surprising New Orleans Saints, who have $10.8 million left under the $104 million cap. Even with a high-priced quarterback in Drew Brees and running backs Deuce McAlister and rookie Reggie Bush, the Saints are in great long-term position, considering all the money Tom Benson is saving now.

The Eagles signed four key young starters and dropped their September salary-cap room from $8.6 million to todayís space of $1.5 million. Pretty good negotiating if Joe Banner and Andy Reid are right about Trent Cole, Reggie Brown, etc.

Here is a complete list of the teamís with the most salary-cap room: Jacksonville with $9.6 million, Kansas City with $8.5 million, Houston with $8 million, Buffalo with $7.2 million, San Francisco with $7.18 million and New England with $6.7 million. The teams with the least amount money, or under $1 million each, are Arizona, Atlanta, Miami, the Giants, Oakland, Pittsburgh and Washington, which has only $115,074.

kcfanintitanhell
11-19-2006, 05:54 PM
Most of that will be spent to re-sign Damon Huard.

JBucc
11-19-2006, 05:57 PM
Most of that will be spent to re-sign Jared Allen, Kawika Mitchell, and Tony Gonzalez.FYP

Wa-Z
11-19-2006, 05:58 PM
Most of that will be spent to re-sign Damon Huard.

Man, I hope it's not gonna be a rough offseason...Tony, LJ, Allen, Huard...and who knows who else?

Mecca
11-19-2006, 05:59 PM
FYP

Ugh.......they should let Mitchell walk.

JBucc
11-19-2006, 06:00 PM
Ugh.......they should let Mitchell walk.Well they aint

Mecca
11-19-2006, 06:02 PM
Well they aint

Well stuff like that is why we don't win Superbowls.

Deberg_1990
11-19-2006, 06:02 PM
Kendrell Bell wont be resigned. Neither will Sims or Hicks. I wouldnt be surprised to see Fox take his place when DJ returns.

Mecca
11-19-2006, 06:06 PM
Kendrell Bell wont be resigned. Neither will Sims or Hicks. I wouldnt be surprised to see Fox take his place when DJ returns.

Those are all needed moves but those are cuts where as Mitchell will be a FA, I just think paying him will be a waste of money......see 2003/2004 offseason.

Deberg_1990
11-19-2006, 06:08 PM
Those are all needed moves but those are cuts where as Mitchell will be a FA, I just think paying him will be a waste of money......see 2003/2004 offseason.

I mostly agree with this. I wouldnt mind resigning him. Just at a reasonable price tag. Hes not bad, but hes nothing special either. I would consider finding an upgrade first. but then resign him if nothing else is out there. Doesnt matter to me though...im not the GM.

Mecca
11-19-2006, 06:10 PM
I mostly agree with this. I wouldnt mind resigning him. Just at a reasonable price tag. Hes not bad, but hes nothing special either. I would consider finding an upgrade first. but then resign him if nothing else is out there. Doesnt matter to me though...im not the GM.

They'll probably overpay and keep him....hell were the dumbass team that paid money to Eric Hicks, Jerome Woods and Greg Wesley in 1 offseason.

Deberg_1990
11-19-2006, 06:12 PM
They'll probably overpay and keep him....hell were the dumbass team that paid money to Eric Hicks, Jerome Woods and Greg Wesley in 1 offseason.

Thanks for the reminder. Ill just go shoot myself now.

Chieftain58
11-19-2006, 07:04 PM
LJ is a Free agent?

jynni
11-19-2006, 07:06 PM
If we let Mitchell walk, who do we sign to put in his place? Who are the free agent MLBs next year?

KCChiefsFan88
11-19-2006, 07:21 PM
There are going to be like 8 teams with $30+ million in caproom this offseason and the Chiefs aren't one of them...

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/9790677

Adam Schefter's "Around the League" reports and commentaries can be seen regularly on NFL Total Access.

(Nov. 9, 2006) -- When the NFL's free-agent signing period kicks off in March, it will do so in a way the league, its players and its fans never have witnessed.

A remarkable eight teams are a startling $30-plus million under the salary cap and another eight are $20-plus million under it, according to financial projection sheets witnessed Thursday.

More teams will free up even more money once they start trimming players from their payroll in February. But even if no players get cut, more teams than ever have money to burn.

Leading the way are the Arizona Cardinals, who are projected to be an incredible $38 million under the salary cap, though the team has only 46 players signed for next season.

Right behind the Cardinals are the San Francisco 49ers at $37 million under the salary cap, the Tennessee Titans at $35 million, the Minnesota Vikings at $35 million, the Buffalo Bills at $33 million, the St. Louis Rams at $31 million and the Green Bay Packers at $30 million, according to documents.

With the salary cap scheduled to increase to $109 million, and with teams managing their financials in more prudent ways, more organizations will have more room than ever before. Now the good players who hit the market this winter will cash in.

The list includes Colts defensive end Dwight Freeney and linebacker Cato June, Bears linebacker Lance Briggs, Bengals defensive end Justin Smith, Bills cornerback Nate Clements and Chiefs tight end Tony Gonzalez.

The Colts will be able to use their "franchise" tag on one player, so it's highly unlikely Freeney will be allowed to go anywhere, freeing June to land big dollars in whatever city willing to pay him the most.

Gonzalez also has been discussing a contract extension with the Chiefs for months, but those talks, for now, have hit a roadblock. Kansas City could opt to slap its franchise tag on Gonzalez, but that number still would be prohibitive. Plus, Kansas City also needs to re-sign its defensive end Jared Allen, a former fourth-round pick that has emerged into a top-flight pass rusher.

Toad
11-19-2006, 10:43 PM
The list includes Colts defensive end Dwight Freeney and linebacker Cato June, Bears linebacker Lance Briggs, Bengals defensive end Justin Smith, Bills cornerback Nate Clements and Chiefs tight end Tony Gonzalez.

I would love to have Lance Briggs...shhh...let me dream.