PDA

View Full Version : Whitlock: Oak/KC

DeezNutz
11-19-2006, 08:53 PM
Seriously, with Tony Gonzalez in street clothes, the Denver Broncos on the Thanksgiving menu, Trent Green shaking off two months of rust and the embarrassing Oakland offense providing the competition, what did you expect Herm Edwards and the Chiefs to do on Sunday?

Surely you didn't come to Arrowhead Stadium expecting to see the Chiefs throw the football. The Chiefs justifiably took the field with a single-minded focus: survival.

You don't need style points to beat the Raiders. You need patience, the discipline to wait for the Raiders to self-destruct, the resolve to hand Larry Johnson the ball again and again.

The boos throated by 78,000 Chiefs fans at halftime were unjustified, an indication of a lack of sophistication. Yes, with the Chiefs trailing by six points at halftime and having thrown the football just four times, there was cause for concern. But there was no cause for unrest.

The Chiefs went on to beat the Raiders 17-13 in the only fashion that made sense given the circumstances.

The victory didn't come until Raiders quarterback Aaron Brooks threw a horrible pass on first and goal from the 8 with around 30 seconds to play. Chiefs rookie Jarrad Page easily stepped in front of Randy Moss and intercepted the ball, ending the game and making Trent Green's return a resounding success.

And I mean resounding. Had the Chiefs won a 3-0 no-hitter, the game would be considered a resounding success.

Trent Green is 36 years old and recovering from a major concussion. Sunday, he was missing his top weapon in the passing game (Gonzalez). There was no way to accurately predict how Green would respond to getting hit.

So Edwards and offensive coordinator Mike Solari asked Kansas City's best player, running back Larry Johnson, to carry Green and the offense on Sunday.

Given the seasonlong ineptness of Oakland's offense, Edwards realized it would take 14 points to beat the Raiders. When motivated and properly gassed, Johnson can score two touchdowns falling out of bed.

The lone hitch in Kansas City's plan was Brooks, who returned to Oakland's lineup after a two-month absence. Brooks, particularly his ability to escape pressure, transformed an embarrassing Raiders offense into a just-below mediocre unit. For just the second time all season, the Oakland offense almost single-handedly produced 20 points.

"Almost" being the key word. The Raiders ran a stupid play on first and goal, and Brooks threw the ball low when it should've been thrown high to the 6-foot-4 Moss.

There's nothing I love more than second-guessing a head coach for his team's offensive strategy. This was not the game to do that. The Raiders do only one thing well_attack and confuse quarterbacks. On Sunday, they unveiled a corner blitz for the first time all season and nailed Green in the back, forcing a fumble.

Putting the game in Johnson's hands made perfect sense. Johnson delivered, grinding out 154 yards and two touchdowns in 31 carries. In many respects, it was the best game I've seen Johnson play. His longest run was 18 yards. He ran with a Priest Holmeslike savvy. He set up his blocks marvelously. He fooled would-be tacklers with subtle moves.

He made Green irrelevant for much of the afternoon - right up to the Chiefs' final TD drive. Green threw the ball beautifully on KC's game-winning, 80-yard drive, connecting with Eddie Kennison and Samie Parker on big plays.

"That's why he's our quarterback," Edwards said. "That's why you bring a guy like that back."

Green finished the game nine-of-16 passing for 102 yards. Against the Broncos on Thanksgiving, with or without the services of Gonzalez, Green will be asked to share the load with Johnson. If necessary, Solari will open up the offense. If he doesn't and the Chiefs fall behind, boo all you want.

But on Sunday you should have been cheering. The Chiefs climbed to 6-4, and Green left the locker room telling everyone he felt great.

the Talking Can
11-19-2006, 09:00 PM
yea!

Deberg_1990
11-19-2006, 09:00 PM
Bravo! I dont disagree with one word.

DaFace
11-19-2006, 09:03 PM
I actually have to agree about the booing. It was ridiculous how much people were doing that today.

ChiefsCountry
11-19-2006, 09:04 PM
JWhit another good article.

Tactical Funky
11-19-2006, 09:05 PM
Considering the circumstances, it was a good win.

carlos3652
11-19-2006, 09:06 PM
Nice!

Raiderhader
11-19-2006, 09:09 PM
He ran with a Priest Holmeslike savvy.

That was exactly what LJ's first TD reminded me of - a Priest Holmes score.

milkman
11-19-2006, 09:10 PM
While I agree with the overall message of the article, I think that only 4 passes in the first half was playing it just a little too close to the vest.

We were lucky that Green was able to find a ryhtm when we needed him to.

Rausch
11-19-2006, 09:10 PM
Best work he's done in months.

Great article boiled-eggsy.

Halfcan
11-19-2006, 09:11 PM
Glad that was Page instead of Surtain-Pat would have dropped another one.

jjjayb
11-19-2006, 09:11 PM
I actually have to agree about the booing. It was ridiculous how much people were doing that today.

I'll admit it. I was booing in the chat room. :redface:

Raiderhader
11-19-2006, 09:18 PM
While I agree with the overall message of the article, I think that only 4 passes in the first half was playing it just a little too close to the vest.

We were lucky that Green was able to find a ryhtm when we needed him to.

Agreed. The fact that Green was money when we needed him very few passes thrown during the game gives me all the confidence in the world that he's right back to form.

DeezNutz
11-19-2006, 09:19 PM
I agree with JW, too. But wouldn't it have been nice to see some play action after we took it to the Raiduhs on the first series? Failing to do this is what caused me to curse at the television.

burt
11-19-2006, 09:22 PM
I'll admit it. I was booing in the chat room. :redface:

It's okay, we fans tend to get over heated and sometimes yell....sometimes we even throw shit at the TV.

blueballs
11-19-2006, 09:26 PM
no Bennett love
for shame

Douche Baggins
11-19-2006, 09:37 PM
The booing was for Mike Solari. He sucked balls in the first half.

Lzen
11-19-2006, 09:51 PM
The game plan was a little too conservative in the first half. Hell, if it wasn't for Brooks' boneheaded pass at the end, we could be talking about a loss. I would much rather see my team take control and put the pressure on the other team to try and catch up.

Short Leash Hootie
11-19-2006, 09:52 PM
good article

ccsells
11-19-2006, 09:57 PM
Spot on. Period (.)

dj56dt58
11-19-2006, 10:11 PM
they were booing most of the time due to the fact that our d can't stop anyone on 3rd down and it's pathetic