PDA

View Full Version : Just curious, you were a male child under 14

Logical
11-19-2006, 11:08 PM
Would you have been upset to receive a bible quoting Jesus doll.

This is not about Religion it is about expectations?

Halfcan
11-19-2006, 11:08 PM
Off to DC.

Demonpenz
11-19-2006, 11:09 PM
Depends if it comes with devil killing shooting holy water.

KcMizzou
11-19-2006, 11:09 PM
Yes, I think most kids would.

TinyEvel
11-19-2006, 11:12 PM
There's probably a three-tier happiness factor here.
Under 8: happy
9 to11: disappointed
12-14 Happy, because you have access to lighter fluid and firecrackers.

At least, that was age breakdown of my interest in the Young Model Builder's club.

Bugeater
11-19-2006, 11:12 PM
Do you mean as an Xmas gift? That's right up there with my mother in law telling my 12 yo son she's putting extra money in his college fund instead of buying him a PS3.

KcMizzou
11-19-2006, 11:13 PM
Buddy Christ might be cool.

KcMizzou
11-19-2006, 11:13 PM
Do you mean as an Xmas gift? That's right up there with my mother in law telling my 12 yo son she's putting extra money in his college fund instead of buying him a PS3.LMAO

Damn, that's gotta suck.

Rausch
11-19-2006, 11:14 PM
I might have used it to kill my parents...

TinyEvel
11-19-2006, 11:15 PM
I once got a pamphlet telling me why Halloween was "Satan's holiday" in my trick or treat bag.

Rausch
11-19-2006, 11:16 PM
LMAO

Damn, that's gotta suck.

I got a hard salami, 2 packages of tightie whitey's, 2 packages of socks, and an orange for christmas my junior year.

I $#it you not...

SLAG
11-19-2006, 11:16 PM
the poll has been altered

cdcox
11-19-2006, 11:20 PM
I would be disappointed in that I would think that the doll demeaned Jesus. King of kings and Lord of lords is a doll?

Halfcan
11-19-2006, 11:21 PM
Do you mean as an Xmas gift? That's right up there with my mother in law telling my 12 yo son she's putting extra money in his college fund instead of buying him a PS3.

Like when the bible thumpers hand out pamplets with a pot leaf on them or the design from the band you just got done seeing in concert-and it says you are going to burn in hell on the inside.

SLAG
11-19-2006, 11:23 PM
Like when the bible thumpers hand out pamplets with a pot leaf on them or the design from the band you just got done seeing in concert-and it says you are going to burn in hell on the inside.

heres what the Donkos Get

http://www.mattszabo.com/archives/God%20Hates%20Fags-thumb.jpg

Rausch
11-19-2006, 11:23 PM
I would be disappointed in that I would think that the doll demeaned Jesus. King of kings and Lord of lords is a doll?

But if he was like Stretch Armstrong it'd be pretty sweet...

el borracho
11-20-2006, 12:45 AM
I don't know that I would have been upset but I can say that I would not have wanted that gift at any age.

Ultra Peanut
11-20-2006, 12:58 AM
That would be more disappointing than urine-soaked socks.

chagrin
11-20-2006, 05:17 AM
I think that if I was a poor kid, who would get a choice of what present I got at Christmas, I would be happy to get anything, and wouldn't complain about it.

Then again, I am not an ungrateful little puke who thinks the world owes him something.
No offense man, but you are not presenting this in the proper context. The toys you refer to are giveaways to poor kids who probably don't have access to the teachings of Jesus Christ. Think of it this way, if it's quite okay to bombard a kid with freedom of speech, freedom of choice, atheism, Mortal Kombat, Grand Theft Auto, Desperate Housewives, etc. why can't you also provide the child with a good and clean choice of entertainment as well? In the interest of true fairness, this doll makes perfect sense.

Does a child who grows up in the hiome of a family who is that underpriveledged need a PS3 for example, or Air Jordans, so they can have it stolen from them?

And frankly, it's not like the kids only get the one item.

I refuse to vote on it because the poll is flawed.

patteeu
11-20-2006, 05:51 AM
Am I a male child under 14 who can expect a decent gift because I'm not impoverished, orphaned, or otherwise unlikely to get any gift at all?

If I'm answering as the kid I actually was, who had parents well established in the middle class, I'd be disappointed with that gift.

If I'm answering as the kid who is growing up with my jobless, drug-addicted, single mother in a series of homeless shelters, then I'm happy to get anything (although a toy 9mm is what I really wanted).

In the spirit of the true story behind this question, I answered "NO" I'm not disappointed.

Saulbadguy
11-20-2006, 05:58 AM
I'd probably burn it or something.

Easy 6
11-20-2006, 06:37 AM
In truth i would've been disappointed with a Jesus doll as a boy.

But this story for me kind of tie's into the whole PC problem these days where everyone is trying to take the Christ out of Christ-mas, and its getting pretty damn old IMO.

DaKCMan AP
11-20-2006, 07:18 AM
I never wanted any Christmas gift. Still don't.

Brock
11-20-2006, 07:19 AM
Does it come with a cross?

Bwana
11-20-2006, 07:24 AM
Um YES, as would most 14 year old boys.

"Gee, I wanted that BB gun, but this talking doll is so cool!"

What are things you will never hear a 14 year boy say for $1000 Alex.

boogblaster
11-20-2006, 07:28 AM
probably no..but maybe....

slappyhappy
11-20-2006, 07:32 AM
Can you use it as a voodoo doll?

KILLER_CLOWN
11-20-2006, 07:38 AM
I would have been upset because it mocks GOD, even though coming from my hypocritical heathen parents it would have been par for the course.

Logical
11-20-2006, 11:15 AM
Can you use it as a voodoo doll?

:hmmm:

:evil:

ROFL

Logical
11-20-2006, 11:20 AM
That would be more disappointing than urine-soaked socks.

I think this is the realistic answer. I know I am being sexist in this poll but somehow I think this gift would be more accepted by a female, probably because she could use her little 12 inch Jesus as a faux dildo.

jspchief
11-20-2006, 11:35 AM
I would just blow it up with fireworks like I did with all my other action figures. Including those Kiss dolls that would have been wortha fortune.

Mr. Laz
11-20-2006, 11:56 AM
Would you have been upset to receive a bible quoting Jesus doll.

This is not about Religion it is about expectations?
if i was a religious male i wouldn't be.
if i wasn't a religious male i would be.

Rain Man
11-20-2006, 12:05 PM
At 14, I might be a little old for it, but if I was 8 to 10 I would've pretended the Jesus was an arab terrorist and had him fight my GI Joes. In that case, it would've been okay.

ck_IN
11-20-2006, 12:25 PM
<i>she could use her little 12 inch Jesus as a faux dildo.</i>

Jim that is just wrong on sooo many levels. :)

DanT
11-20-2006, 02:10 PM
I think that if I was a poor kid, who would get a choice of what present I got at Christmas, I would be happy to get anything, and wouldn't complain about it.

Then again, I am not an ungrateful little puke who thinks the world owes him something.
No offense man, but you are not presenting this in the proper context. The toys you refer to are giveaways to poor kids who probably don't have access to the teachings of Jesus Christ. Think of it this way, if it's quite okay to bombard a kid with freedom of speech, freedom of choice, atheism, Mortal Kombat, Grand Theft Auto, Desperate Housewives, etc. why can't you also provide the child with a good and clean choice of entertainment as well? In the interest of true fairness, this doll makes perfect sense.

Does a child who grows up in the hiome of a family who is that underpriveledged need a PS3 for example, or Air Jordans, so they can have it stolen from them?

And frankly, it's not like the kids only get the one item.

I refuse to vote on it because the poll is flawed.

There isn't anywhere in this country that children are deprived of the teachings of Jesus Christ because they are poor. Putting the teachings of Jesus Christ into a doll and handing it out to others is the sort of hateful and stupid act that only people outside of God's friendship would do. Do you think God wants you to pretend that a gift that you know in your heart is patronizing, idiotic, absolutely no fun whatsoever and useless would be worthwhile for somebody else? Of course He wouldn't. God doesn't want children sobbing, wishing that they got a bag of spoiled broccoli instead of a lame-ass bible-quoting Jesus doll so that they could at least take the bag and suffocate themselves and thus temporarily relieve themselves of the thought that they live amidst hateful and condescending assholes who would give them a gift even worse than herpes, which at least as the virtue that it could be properly despised by the recipient. How can a little kid despise a f*ckin' bible-quoting Jesus doll? On the other hand, how could he not? Giving kids personality conflicts isn't part of the Lord's plan for us.

Baby Lee
11-20-2006, 02:17 PM
There isn't anywhere in this country that children are deprived of the teachings of Jesus Christ because they are poor. Putting the teachings of Jesus Christ into a doll and handing it out to others is the sort of hateful and stupid act that only people outside of God's friendship would do. Do you think God wants you to pretend that a gift that you know in your heart is patronizing, idiotic, absolutely no fun whatsoever and useless would be worthwhile for somebody else? Of course He wouldn't. God doesn't want children sobbing, wishing that they got a bag of spoiled broccoli instead of a lame-ass bible-quoting Jesus doll so that they could at least take the bag and suffocate themselves and thus temporarily relieve themselves of the thought that they live amidst hateful and condescending assholes who would give them a gift even worse than herpes, which at least as the virtue that it could be properly despised by the recipient. How can a little kid despise a f*ckin' bible-quoting Jesus doll? On the other hand, how could he not? Giving kids personality conflicts isn't part of the Lord's plan for us.
So is it official, DanT lost his login to jettio in a hand of Texas Hold'Em?

DanT
11-20-2006, 02:21 PM
Don't even try it, Baby Lee. You know good and damn well that you would never give Toys for Tots a bible-quoting Jesus Doll to give to some poor kid somewhere and partly this is because you know good and damn well how it would feel to receive such a gift.

Baby Lee
11-20-2006, 02:35 PM
Don't even try it, Baby Lee. You know good and damn well that you would never give Toys for Tots a bible-quoting Jesus Doll to give to some poor kid somewhere and partly this is because you know good and damn well how it would feel to receive such a gift.
Get over yourself, no one gets that angry about a gift, no matter how crappy. Not unless they have some kind of traumatic fixation on the object.
When I was sick in the hospital as a kid, some lady came around and took pity on my condition [I was all doped up after plastic surgery to fix where a dog had bitten off the back 1/2 of my ear]. She asked if I like Hot Wheels.
Of course.
Well I've got just the thing.

Lady comes back with a matchbox AMC Pacer!! Who even decides to issue that?

But even at 10 years old, I was brought up well enough to know it was the thought that counted.

Iowanian
11-20-2006, 02:39 PM
Is it a bobblehead buddy Christ?

Awesome.

Iowanian
11-20-2006, 02:39 PM
Dave Lane doesn't give Buddy Christ for Christmas, he gives 3 day Eviction notices.

siberian khatru
11-20-2006, 02:40 PM
Does it come with Malibu Mary Magdalene?

JBucc
11-20-2006, 02:40 PM
Dancing Jesus doll would be better, like those dancing Santas.

DanT
11-20-2006, 02:46 PM
Get over yourself, no one gets that angry about a gift, no matter how crappy. Not unless they have some kind of traumatic fixation on the object.
When I was sick in the hospital as a kid, some lady came around and took pity on my condition [I was all doped up after plastic surgery to fix where a dog had bitten off the back 1/2 of my ear]. She asked if I like Hot Wheels.
Of course.
Well I've got just the thing.

Lady comes back with a matchbox AMC Pacer!! Who even decides to issue that?

But even at 10 years old, I was brought up well enough to know it was the thought that counted.

That sounds like a very sweet and kind lady. Hooray for people who give other people gifts that they honestly believe that the recipient would enjoy.

DanT
11-20-2006, 03:15 PM
Here's the Vision page from one2believe.com, the folks who created the talking Jesus dolls. Sounds like a pretty good vision, something more than just to give the kids a toy to play with. It's to involve the parents with the kids in a fun way when they are reading the Bible together.

http://www.one2believe.com/vision/

A young boy and his little sister are sitting on the floor in their living room. With eyes wide open, they look up expectantly at their parents. While Dad opens the Bible to the story of David and Goliath, Mom holds a Bible character doll. The doll is fashioned after the character David, holding in its right hand a sling and a stone. Dad reads in a bellowing voice, “Am I a dog that you come to me with a stick? said Goliath.” Mom then asks, “How do you think David answered Goliath? Let's push the button and find out what happens next.” As the children activate the doll's voice, the scriptures come to life!

The purpose of this family activity is to peak their children's imaginations and turn their hearts toward God. But don't tell their kids that…they're having too much fun!

The 2-fold vision of one2believe™ is:

* To see thousands of parents equipped and trained with the strategies and communicative skills to present Bible stories to their children in an engaging and fascinating way.

* To see age appropriate tools and resources made available to parents to help them creatively present the Bible stories to their children.