PDA

View Full Version : Alright, band geeks, fess up!

Nightwish
11-21-2006, 03:56 PM
If you were a band geek in high school, this thread is for you.

If you were a jock who preyed on band geeks in high school, post with caution, as you're probably in hostile territory!

If you were a jock who lived a secret life as a band geek in high school, this thread will let you out of the closet.

If your most sordid experience can be introduced with the words, "One time, at band camp ...," this thread is for you, especially is said experience involved a flute.

I was a band geek in high school. First chair French Horn. I also did brief stints on trumpet, tuba/sousaphone, clarinet and saxophone, but the French Horn was my main talent. I was even chosen for an all-state band during my senior year, playing shows at Steal-yer-dollar City and Six Flags.

Archie F. Swin
11-21-2006, 04:42 PM
started with trumpet, demoted to Baritone, unded up a drummer...ok, so pitch aint my thang

"Bob" Dobbs
11-21-2006, 09:14 PM
Not only did I play trombone in school, summers were spent in drum & bugle corps. I can't believe I'm confessing these on the Planet.

SLAG
11-21-2006, 09:24 PM
in over 5 hours on teh interweb and only 3 band geeks... i highly doubt that.. there has to be more

NERDS

http://www.luminomagazine.com/2004.10/spotlight/nerds/images/ogre/ogre2.jpg

patteeu
11-22-2006, 09:00 AM
started with trumpet, demoted to Baritone, unded up a drummer...ok, so pitch aint my thang

I wanted to play drums, but my parents wouldn't let me. They said I had to play an instrument that could carry a melody. I ended up playing saxophone, but I always wished I was a drummer.

Rain Man
11-22-2006, 09:10 AM
I wanted to play drums, but my parents wouldn't let me. They said I had to play an instrument that could carry a melody. I ended up playing saxophone, but I always wished I was a drummer.

Your parents made the right move, unless of course you had a great natural talent at drumming that was left undiscovered.

I was a saxophone player, and greatly enjoyed it. My parents took me by surprise, enrolling me in band so that I couldn't play football, so I had all of five minutes to pick which instrument I was going to play, with no warning. The band teacher applied great pressure for me to play the clarinet, but it was a little too non-manly for me, so I blurted out, "How about saxophone?" The band teacher hated saxophones and had too many, so he tried to talk me out of it, but by then I was locked in, and greatly enjoyed playing it. (Ironically, though, if I had taken up the clarinet, I would've sat amongst the best-looking girls in the school for most of high school. Missed opportunity.)

98 percent of my time was on the alto saxophone, which is the most common type, but I played soprano saxophone a lot in the school's jazz band, and even played a flute for the jazz band for a few songs when needed. Then in my senior year, the marching band needed more trombones for a particular contest, so for about two months I switched to trombone just for grins, and then returned to saxophone after that.

If I would've had more time to pick an instrument, I likely would've gone with a french horn. I love the sound of french horns. However, the saxophone ended up being a better choice because it was fun and also allowed me to play in the jazz band.

Fish
11-22-2006, 09:36 AM
Jock who lived a secret life as a band geek in high school....

Drum corp baby..... loudest snare drum section in KS....

Never forget making out with the flute hoors in the back of the bus........

luv
11-22-2006, 09:38 AM
I didn't play an instrument, but I was in the Color Guard (aka flag corp) in the marching band.

StcChief
11-22-2006, 10:17 AM
Quit after Jr.High (aka Middle school in MO).
Trombone/Tuba.

Stewie
11-22-2006, 10:34 AM
Played drums until sophmore year. Sports took all my time and quit band. Had a garage band after HS that played anywhere we could. Mostly Battle of the Band type deals. I still play drums for enjoyment (especially when I need to blow off some steam).

patteeu
11-22-2006, 10:37 AM
Your parents made the right move, unless of course you had a great natural talent at drumming that was left undiscovered.

You're probably right. My wife bought me a used drum set for my birthday a few years ago so I could satisfy my life-long "passion," but apparently I'm not all that passionate about it anymore because they've mostly turned into a conversation piece.

I enjoyed band in High School, but I've rarely played my saxophone since then. I know you played in a community band when you got out of college. Have you played in a band since moving to Denver?

Jazz band was the best! :thumb:

Baby Lee
11-22-2006, 11:41 AM
Not only did I play trombone in school, summers were spent in drum & bugle corps. I can't believe I'm confessing these on the Planet.
Which Corps?

I wanted to start in 6th grade on trumpet, but I still had braces, so they put me on clarinet.
7th grade, couldn't take it anymore and moved to Tenor Sax. In H.S., with my commitment to playing cemented, the 'rents bought me a Selmer Super Action 80.
Played Marching, General, Pep, and Jazz band throughout HS and College. Never went for DCI [though I could play brass, I was better on Sax, and I liked making $$ in the Summer too much to spend it marching], but a good 70% of our College band [NEMSU, now Truman State] was DCI. Our college marching band was a pretty slamming unit.
By the end of college I was fairly proficient in all Saxes, flute, trumpet, Baritone and Euphonium [basically a marching French Horn].

"Bob" Dobbs
11-22-2006, 01:31 PM
Which Corps?

I wanted to start in 6th grade on trumpet, but I still had braces, so they put me on clarinet.
7th grade, couldn't take it anymore and moved to Tenor Sax. In H.S., with my commitment to playing cemented, the 'rents bought me a Selmer Super Action 80.
Played Marching, General, Pep, and Jazz band throughout HS and College. Never went for DCI [though I could play brass, I was better on Sax, and I liked making $$ in the Summer too much to spend it marching], but a good 70% of our College band [NEMSU, now Truman State] was DCI. Our college marching band was a pretty slamming unit.
By the end of college I was fairly proficient in all Saxes, flute, trumpet, Baritone and Euphonium [basically a marching French Horn].
I spent 2 yrs in the Olathe Frontiersmen (which I think disbanded in like 1980) playing 1st baritone horn. 8 hours of practice a day in mid-summer made us pretty good. Much later when I joined the Army, since I already understood march & drill, they made me a platoon leader through bootcamp, just 'cuz of that.

luv
11-23-2006, 02:18 AM
I spent 2 yrs in the Olathe Frontiersmen (which I think disbanded in like 1980) playing 1st baritone horn. 8 hours of practice a day in mid-summer made us pretty good. Much later when I joined the Army, since I already understood march & drill, they made me a platoon leader through bootcamp, just 'cuz of that.
I've never been to boot camp, but band camp can't be too far off. Whew!

Archie F. Swin
11-23-2006, 09:16 AM
If I would've had more time to pick an instrument, I likely would've gone with a french horn. I love the sound of french horns. However, the saxophone ended up being a better choice because it was fun and also allowed me to play in the jazz band.

Yeah, I doubt there was ever a French horn player as cool as Bird or Coltrane

Fire Me Boy!
11-23-2006, 09:29 AM
I just want to say there was NEVER a girl like Alyson Hannigan and ANY band camp I was ever at. :#

Baby Lee
11-27-2006, 08:27 AM
I just want to say there was NEVER a girl like Alyson Hannigan and ANY band camp I was ever at. :#
You were in the wrong band.
My HS band wasn't all that, but in 2 of the 4 years, the homecoming queen came from band ranks, one was our field conductor.
I'll grant you though, including the drill team in the band's #s helped the hottie quotient significantly.

PastorMikH
11-27-2006, 10:22 AM
Several years back I wouldn't have given 2 cents concern for High School band. However, now that my oldest daughter is a Freshman and has been playing the Flute for 3 1/2 years now, I have a whole new respect for the band. Watching them learning marching this year was a whole experience in itself. I came the the realization that it took as much, if not more work to excell at Band than it does at sports. Several people I have shared that with that did both do agree, though most people might tend to disagree.

My middle daughter is in 6th grade and has picked up the Saxophone. This has been much tougher on me as a parent desiring peace and quite of an evening than it was when the Oldest was in 6th grade learning the flute. IS THERE ANY WAY TO MUFFLE THE SOUND OF A SAX IN THE HANDS OF A 6TH GRADER?!?!?!?!:)

BTW, I'd appreciate some input with the oldest. She is quite good with the Flute and has held 1st chair about 90% of the time in JR High. They are doing chair tests this week in HS for the first time this year and there are several of the flute players that think she will be first chair as a freshman. However, when she goes to competitions she chokes big time. This summer at Band Camp there were 5 bands based on varied levels of play. She choked her way into the 2nd band from the bottom while other kids from our school with comparable skills with their instruments were in the top 2 bands. Then, a month or so back, she went to all-region tryouts for 7-9th grade. The girl that has been 2nd chair behind her (and still is below her) made 4th chair in the top band while my daughter got mid-pack in the bottom band. I have been having her play more in front of people by herself to get over the anxiety, but would sure appreciate any help I can get in helping her past performance anxiety.

Fire Me Boy!
11-27-2006, 10:34 AM
You were in the wrong band.
My HS band wasn't all that, but in 2 of the 4 years, the homecoming queen came from band ranks, one was our field conductor.
I'll grant you though, including the drill team in the band's #s helped the hottie quotient significantly.
I wasn't just talking about the "hottie quotient" when I mentioned Alyson Hannigan. Her "commitment" to her flute was awe-inspiring. I only wish we had some video of her "practicing."

PastorMikH
11-27-2006, 10:39 AM
FWIW, I do think I have a theory as to why the French Horn is shaped the way it is....

So the French bugler could put the bell of the horn under his arm to blow so that the French troops could better hear him sound recall as he ran from the battle lines.

:)

patteeu
11-27-2006, 12:00 PM
Several years back I wouldn't have given 2 cents concern for High School band. However, now that my oldest daughter is a Freshman and has been playing the Flute for 3 1/2 years now, I have a whole new respect for the band. Watching them learning marching this year was a whole experience in itself. I came the the realization that it took as much, if not more work to excell at Band than it does at sports. Several people I have shared that with that did both do agree, though most people might tend to disagree.

My middle daughter is in 6th grade and has picked up the Saxophone. This has been much tougher on me as a parent desiring peace and quite of an evening than it was when the Oldest was in 6th grade learning the flute. IS THERE ANY WAY TO MUFFLE THE SOUND OF A SAX IN THE HANDS OF A 6TH GRADER?!?!?!?!:)

BTW, I'd appreciate some input with the oldest. She is quite good with the Flute and has held 1st chair about 90% of the time in JR High. They are doing chair tests this week in HS for the first time this year and there are several of the flute players that think she will be first chair as a freshman. However, when she goes to competitions she chokes big time. This summer at Band Camp there were 5 bands based on varied levels of play. She choked her way into the 2nd band from the bottom while other kids from our school with comparable skills with their instruments were in the top 2 bands. Then, a month or so back, she went to all-region tryouts for 7-9th grade. The girl that has been 2nd chair behind her (and still is below her) made 4th chair in the top band while my daughter got mid-pack in the bottom band. I have been having her play more in front of people by herself to get over the anxiety, but would sure appreciate any help I can get in helping her past performance anxiety.

They had something on 60 Minutes last night about a drug that they are experimenting with to reduce the memories of traumatic experiences. I forget the name of the drug, but I think it might have been a beta blocker. Propanelol or something along those lines. Anyway, they said that it's currently prescribed for heart patients (keeps the heart rate down I think) and it's informally prescribed for stage fright. I doubt that that would be a good route to go with your daughter, but your post brought it to mind.

My daughter had daily stomach aches when she was younger. The doctors tried to treat them with drugs, but when she wasn't as responsive to them as the doctors thought she should be, they sent her to a psychologist to learn some biofeedback techniques to deal with stress in the hope that that would help her. I don't know whether it was the biofeedback or the drugs that eventually helped, but we just weened her off of the drugs a couple of months ago and she seems to be doing OK. You might try to find someplace that can teach your daughter stress reduction through biofeedback. They hook her up to sensors (like you might see with a ploygraph device) and she can watch a monitor that tracks her body's reactions so she can see what's happening as she feels different sensations and then they teach her how to consciously try to restore her body to a nonstressed state. It might be worth a try.

Nightwish
11-27-2006, 02:40 PM
BTW, I'd appreciate some input with the oldest. She is quite good with the Flute and has held 1st chair about 90% of the time in JR High. They are doing chair tests this week in HS for the first time this year and there are several of the flute players that think she will be first chair as a freshman. However, when she goes to competitions she chokes big time. This summer at Band Camp there were 5 bands based on varied levels of play. She choked her way into the 2nd band from the bottom while other kids from our school with comparable skills with their instruments were in the top 2 bands. Then, a month or so back, she went to all-region tryouts for 7-9th grade. The girl that has been 2nd chair behind her (and still is below her) made 4th chair in the top band while my daughter got mid-pack in the bottom band. I have been having her play more in front of people by herself to get over the anxiety, but would sure appreciate any help I can get in helping her past performance anxiety.Stage fright is a tough obstacle to get past, especially for teenagers. I'd say what you're already doing is probably the best approach, just put her in front of small, intimate crowds, like family, family gatherings, a few friends and neighbors, that kind of thing, then work her up from there, maybe have her play some solo pieces at church (I'm assuming from your screen name that you're churchgoers). You might also talk to her music teacher and see about having her singled out more often in band class to play a few bars. It's sometimes harder to play in front of strangers than in front of friends, though, especially if she's playing for judgment (like at a competition). Still, the small-scale intimate experience will help to get rid of some of the willies. She'll just have to learn to face her fears the rest of the way, though. Some people get over it as they get older and more secure in themselves. Some people never get over it. Some perform scared for the rest of their lives (and sometimes it works, I used to play my best when I was terrified). Hopefully your daughter will overcome it, because she sounds like a very talented musician.

L.A. Chieffan
11-27-2006, 03:03 PM
I played sax for six years. Marching band, symphony and jazz. First chair baby!! HAHA
Actually I just did the marching so I could be in jazz. I loved the jazz band, and that might not have impressed the cheerleaders but the girls in band thought I was Coltrane.
On a side note, I played sports too baseball and basketball.

PastorMikH
11-27-2006, 07:40 PM
Stage fright is a tough obstacle to get past, especially for teenagers. I'd say what you're already doing is probably the best approach, just put her in front of small, intimate crowds, like family, family gatherings, a few friends and neighbors, that kind of thing, then work her up from there, maybe have her play some solo pieces at church (I'm assuming from your screen name that you're churchgoers). You might also talk to her music teacher and see about having her singled out more often in band class to play a few bars. It's sometimes harder to play in front of strangers than in front of friends, though, especially if she's playing for judgment (like at a competition). Still, the small-scale intimate experience will help to get rid of some of the willies. She'll just have to learn to face her fears the rest of the way, though. Some people get over it as they get older and more secure in themselves. Some people never get over it. Some perform scared for the rest of their lives (and sometimes it works, I used to play my best when I was terrified). Hopefully your daughter will overcome it, because she sounds like a very talented musician.

Thanks for the info. I have made her do specials at church from time to time, but can only do it once in a while though.

BTW, Chair tests were today and as a freshman she nailed FIRST CHAIR!!!!

:thumb: :thumb:

Lurker2:-)=)
11-27-2006, 08:01 PM
Started on alto sax in 5th grade, ended up first chair in high school, both jazz band and concert. First year in high school, before tryouts they simply assigned all the incoming woodwind girls into the flag corps - I remember the director walking down the rows of girls saying, "Look at the legs on this bunch!" I made it out of of there as fast as I could!

Years later, started playing sax then I also picked up flute and vocals as well for my local church worship band, and then when our last drummer had to move/quit in April 2004 I picked up djembe first then started playing drum set. It is a BLAST! It's never too late to pick up an instrument you want to learn - just gotta find somewhere to play it regularly!

Only problem is that now I almost never get to play sax any more - but they have me doing backup vocals while I play drums now... there's a minor coordination problem for me in that.... LOL

ZepSinger
11-27-2006, 08:03 PM
I was in choir, mixed quartet, and solo ensembles- is that geeky enough?

Z

NewChief
11-27-2006, 08:15 PM
BTW, I'd appreciate some input with the oldest.

Hey Pastor,

I don't have much experience personally, but I remember hearing about this crazy special forces guy that was teaching classes on stage fright at Juilliard. He did some pretty unconventional stuff to get these professional caliber musicians to perform despite any distraction. He basically takes the nervous energies generated by such things and teaches you how to harness them, which is something that evidently the special forces teaches people to help them make good decisions and perform well in the... stressful...situations they find themselves in. Anyway, I did some searching and found a book the guy wrote (I'm pretty sure it's the same guy) on amazon. Here it be:
http://www.amazon.com/Performance-Success-Performing-Pressure-Theatre/dp/0878301224

Here's a pretty cool article as well about how the guy got into the line of work of advising musicians on stage fright:
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m2493/is_1_52/ai_90307741

Good luck!

CHENZ A!
11-27-2006, 09:39 PM
I played the trumpet for 3 weeks in the 5th grade, I quit because they took away recess for band practice. :cuss: Moms was pissed.