PDA

View Full Version : OTA HD TUNER Needed for tomorrows Game

SLAG
11-22-2006, 11:25 PM
If any one in the kc area has a OTA HD Tv Tuner for an "HD Ready" TV

please let me know

dont make me miss this weeks game in HD!

thanks

:(

Guru
11-22-2006, 11:37 PM
ROFL

Its not enough to just be able to SEE the game, you have to SEE it too?

If I somehow get blacked out, I will be cursing you. :p

JBucc
11-23-2006, 04:36 AM
HA

SLAG
11-23-2006, 09:34 AM
:redface:

Fire Me Boy!
11-23-2006, 09:37 AM
Then go buy one. Put it on the credit card... buy from Wal-Mart, Target, Best Buy... keep the receipt. Return it tomorrow. YOu'll need an antenna, too... buy it at the same place and return them both. None of those places care if you return something quickly as long as you have a receipt. Wal-Mart is the least picky.

SLAG
11-23-2006, 09:39 AM
Then go buy one. Put it on the credit card... buy from Wal-Mart, Target, Best Buy... keep the receipt. Return it tomorrow. YOu'll need an antenna, too... buy it at the same place and return them both. None of those places care if you return something quickly as long as you have a receipt. Wal-Mart is the least picky.

None of these places carry OTA HD Tuners anymore..

Fire Me Boy!
11-23-2006, 09:40 AM
None of these places carry OTA HD Tuners anymore..

Radio Shack?

SLAG
11-23-2006, 09:43 AM
Radio Shack?
naw man.. i spent like 3 hours calling all over the place last night... one best buy told me they had one so i drove out to 119 and metcalf and the dumb bitch didnt know what the **** i was talking about... she told me they had the ANTENNA in stock not the Tuner...

not one store in KC that i found had one for sale

Sears, Radio Shack, Best Buy, Circuit City, CompUSA, No where

Marcellus
11-23-2006, 09:49 AM
Find an HD sattelite receiver from Dishnetwork or Direct TV.

Should have a built on OTA tuner and you don't have to have satt. signal to use it. Just hook it up to the TV and do a search for digital channels.

Fire Me Boy!
11-23-2006, 09:50 AM
naw man.. i spent like 3 hours calling all over the place last night... one best buy told me they had one so i drove out to 119 and metcalf and the dumb bitch didnt know what the **** i was talking about... she told me they had the ANTENNA in stock not the Tuner...

not one store in KC that i found had one for sale

Sears, Radio Shack, Best Buy, Circuit City, CompUSA, No where
Well... I have one, but you can't have it. :p

Um... did you try any stores like Nebraska Furniture? Did you think about stealing one from Buffalo Wild Wings?

Demonpenz
11-23-2006, 09:59 AM
so if i buy a hd it has to have a tuner and an antannie or is slags just old school. I have seen his though and i remember watching some bikini channel drunk and it was nice

Fire Me Boy!
11-23-2006, 10:03 AM
so if i buy a hd it has to have a tuner and an antannie or is slags just old school. I have seen his though and i remember watching some bikini channel drunk and it was nice
Slag's TV is HD Ready... if you buy a new TV, chances are VERY good nowadays that it will be HDTV. HD Ready (like slag's and mine) are older TV's that are able to use the HD signal, but don't have a built-in tuner. We need an HD tuner, as well as an HD antenna, to see HD signal.

If you're shopping, just make sure your TV says HDTV on it... that means there's a built-in HD tuner. Then you need an antenna to get the free over the air signal. If you're a cable subscriber and get the HD package, you won't need the antenna.

SLAG
11-23-2006, 10:12 AM
Find an HD sattelite receiver from Dishnetwork or Direct TV.

Should have a built on OTA tuner and you don't have to have satt. signal to use it. Just hook it up to the TV and do a search for digital channels.

Will the Direct TV ones workk the dumass chick at best buy said no...

they had them for $99

but is best buy actually open ON thanks Giving?

Fire Me Boy!
11-23-2006, 10:23 AM
Will the Direct TV ones workk the dumass chick at best buy said no...

they had them for $99

but is best buy actually open ON thanks Giving?
I'll bet they are. I'm nearly CERTAIN that Target is open and I think they have them, too. I know Wal-Mart is open, but I"m not certain about them.

SLAG
11-23-2006, 10:27 AM
I'll bet they are. I'm nearly CERTAIN that Target is open and I think they have them, too. I know Wal-Mart is open, but I"m not certain about them.

But will it work as a OTA HD Tuner or Not??? is my main concern

i did not think it was possible. without directv enabling that feature when you activate your service

Fire Me Boy!
11-23-2006, 10:36 AM
But will it work as a OTA HD Tuner or Not??? is my main concern

i did not think it was possible. without directv enabling that feature when you activate your service
I have no clue. It'd be worth a shot. If you put it on a credit card they'll just credit the card back if it doesn't. What do you have to lose?

Marcellus
11-23-2006, 01:50 PM
It has nothing to do with service. I am not for sure on the Direct TV models as I have Dish but it is part of the set up on the reciever. You can hook up an antenna and put all of your locoal analog,and digital channels on your channel menu.
When my dish is out because of a storm I can still watch the locals through my reciever. When I go to OTA it actually switches off of the satt and my signal light on my reciever goes off.

You shouldn't need service for it to work and if it didn't work for some reason, take it back.

Marcellus
11-23-2006, 01:54 PM
Also, on another note, you don't need an "HD" antenna. There is no such thing. Any standard antenna will work but you have to use digital grade cable like what they use for sattelite system installs.Regular coaxle cable has to much bleed and will not give you enough signal.
I almost screwed up and bought a new "HD" antenna until the the geeky lady at radio shack straightened me out.

SLAG
11-23-2006, 03:11 PM
i cannot find anyplace around here that is open today that is selling either the OTA tuner or the Sat. Reciever

Skip Towne
11-23-2006, 03:24 PM
i cannot find anyplace around here that is open today that is selling either the OTA tuner or the Sat. Reciever
Tulsa is lousy with them. Should I fax one to you?

SLAG
11-23-2006, 03:26 PM
Tulsa is lousy with them. Should I fax one to you?
Please

do you know if a brand new DirectTV HD Receiver will work for just OTA Local HD stations?

Skip Towne
11-23-2006, 03:34 PM
Please

do you know if a brand new DirectTV HD Receiver will work for just OTA Local HD stations?
I don't know jack about them. I haven't installed one since August.

SLAG
11-23-2006, 03:36 PM
I don't know jack about them. I haven't installed one since August.
well what do you think

Gardner Walmart has 2 Left..

im about to go try it

Skip Towne
11-23-2006, 03:39 PM
well what do you think

Gardner Walmart has 2 Left..

im about to go try it
Let me know what it cost. They used to be $500.

SLAG
11-23-2006, 04:25 PM
only 98Dollars i'm checking Out Right Now

SLAG
11-23-2006, 07:04 PM
nope
dont work

needs to go through inital setup with sat. before it can continue.. it wont get past wanting do download the guide data i was just on the phone with DTV for the last hour and they said its not possible

SLAG
11-30-2006, 02:42 PM
ok.. so now that its not URGENT i still cant find any HD OTA Tuners fo rsale anywhere.. Circuit city has oone on their website but its out of stock

anyone?

Guru
11-30-2006, 02:43 PM
What is it with you and reviving old threads lately?

SLAG
11-30-2006, 02:49 PM
What is it with you and reviving old threads lately?

I always thought it was better to Post in an existing thread than Start a new one

:D

redbrian
11-30-2006, 03:04 PM
ok.. so now that its not URGENT i still cant find any HD OTA Tuners fo rsale anywhere.. Circuit city has oone on their website but its out of stock

anyone?

http://www.bajangles.com/viewitem.php?IndexID=17150&RefTag=nextag

Here you go, this is the best price I found on the Samsung unit (look around you may find a better price).

I bought one in Aug for $150 and it works very well with my setup.
I do need to go with an out door antena though as the HD indoor antena just does not cut it on all channels.

Skip Towne
11-30-2006, 03:17 PM
Call 800 888 8876. A specialty TV Supply house called DSI.

SLAG
10-31-2007, 03:59 PM
i'm still looking for an OTA hdtv turner

any suggestions?