PDA

View Full Version : Do you play an Instrument? (hobbies)

Archie F. Swin
01-20-2001, 09:27 PM
I've been a drummer for nearly 15 years.

http://www.cuddinfish.homestead.com/files/kit.jpg
http://www.cuddinfish.homestead.com/files/kita.jpg

this is what I call the best seat in the house.

[Edited by Chief Red Pants on 01-20-2001 at 10:30 PM]

KCWolfman
01-20-2001, 10:39 PM
I played Cello for 12 years. I played violin for a couple.

I can comfortably pick a guitar or play rhythm (electric and acoustic).

I tried piano for 3 years but never taught myself anything.

Rick Stephens
01-20-2001, 10:40 PM
Chief Red Pants,

I play an instrument. It's called a 12 gauge shotgun. Makes the sweetest music in the world. I am an avid trapshooter.I flew from California to Kansas City and they put my guns in a compartment in the cabin of the aircraft. When I got to Kansas City, they brought me my cases and ask me if " these were my musical instruments."

PostalChief
01-20-2001, 10:51 PM
Yeah, I did the piano thing myself for years but never took it anywhere. Also played alto and bass clarinets and even dabbled at the baritone sax. Aaah, so many years ago and not a day goes by that I don't kick myself in the *** for quitting it.

Frazod
01-20-2001, 11:41 PM
I don't play anything, but I'm a pretty good singer. In fact, I just got back from karaoke. :mad: The BNC loves it, so every couple of months I bite the bullet and take her out to sing. Just spent three hours sitting right in front of a very loud speaker in a very small bar. The good news is that about half of the people were decent, the bad news is the other half. When some Jerry Springer-reject bimbo got up and started butchering Boston's Amanda, I made a quick exit. Thank God I had lots of Advil. :mad:

Glad to be back on the Planet. Sounds much better.

AJKCFAN
01-21-2001, 12:19 AM
Chief Red Pants:

I too was a drum player. It's been a while since I've last been on the set.

Still, my drum talents from yesterday do serve me well during football season, as I bang the wardrums with pride after every Chiefs TD!! :)

One Arrowhead Dave
01-21-2001, 01:07 AM
Violin for a few years, harmonica for many.

untapped potential on the guitar...

kc hopeful
01-21-2001, 08:43 AM
Red Pants,

I took bass, guitar, piano lessons as a kid no longer than 1 year each. I continued to dabble on these three instruments and got good enough to have fun with them but never good enough to perform.
If I had it to do over I would have taken band in school and learned drums and maybe something in orchestra (strings).
Stephens,
I've got nephews in Manhattan, KS that play the 12 guage very well and wouild like to get lessons from them.
As a drummer would you mind naming some of the drummers you look up to-or like? Just curious.

Archie F. Swin
01-21-2001, 09:27 AM
kc hopeful,

My biggest inspiration throughout the years has been John Bonham of Led Zeppelin. Other honorable mentions include:

Neil Peart of Rush
Carter Beauford of Dave Matthews Band
Steven Drozd of The Flaming Lips (an Oklahoma City band)
any drummer who has recorded with the band XTC
Alex Van Halen of Van Halen
Stevie Wonder
any drummer who has recorded with James Brown
Joseph Modeliste of The Meters
Vinnie Colaiuta of Frank Zappa, Sting and others

Raiderhader
01-21-2001, 01:03 PM
I don't play an instrument, but would love to learn how to play the trumpet. As for hobbies, I enjoy shooting, paintballing (wich I just started), reading, and collecting sports (mostly base ball and football) cards.

Bob Dole
01-21-2001, 01:08 PM
Bob Dole has played the trombone for 25 years and has tried the guitar about 10 times and given up each time.

TheFly
01-21-2001, 02:54 PM
I play trumpet...
My daughter plays trumpet... clarinet... drums... piano...
My son plays trumpet... viola...
My wife plays pain-in-the-...

DJay23
01-21-2001, 08:56 PM
Hey CRP, I saw Dave Matthews Band in State College last month. One of the greatest experiences of my life. That group, person for person, is the most talented in music today. Carter rocked, and the bass in Bryce Jordan Center was monstrous so you could feel it like he was beating on your chest.

Anyway, I taught myself to play guitar my freshman year at KU on my roomate's Fender Stratocaster and some old tab instruction books. I can't read music and I have no ear for it but I can read tab, so I mostly download DMB, Bob Dylan, Nirvana, etc. tabs and play them for kicks. Was always my dream to play rhythm guitar and sing for some little garage band. Just a pipe dream of mine.

AJKCFAN
01-21-2001, 10:12 PM
As for me, my drum role models were Alex Van Halen, but also Phil Collins, Don Henley, Rick Allen (the one-armed drummer from Def Leppard) and also the great Buddy Rich.

Over-Head
01-21-2001, 11:21 PM
Nice drum kit CRP,played Lead guitar my self in several semi pro bands whan I was in school...unfortunatly I am away so much now,I dont get to play at all any more.Still have my Marshall amps,and my 2 prize axe's a 1975 Les Paul Black beauty,,and a 74 Fender Strat.
Ohhhhhh the memories!!

TeenagerFromMars
01-21-2001, 11:47 PM
CRP-

What's written on your snare head?

~TFM

BTW Guitar, I can play a beat or two on drums, and just got a digital piano... :)

Mark M
01-22-2001, 06:16 AM
I played drums in high school, but haven't been behind a set inover 12 years. I wasn't great to begin with ... I hate to think of what I would sound like now!

And Neal Pert is a GOD!!! That guy does things that are un-freaking-human.

I also played ... ahem ... clarinet. Was pretty good on bass clarinet.

I am a master at the skin flute as well ... :D

MM
~~Has rythym.

Phobia
01-22-2001, 07:52 AM
I taught myself to play drums 15 years ago. I played in church for a couple of years. I've picked up sticks a couple of times over the years and it's like riding a bike - kinda. Don't have the quick hands like I used to but I think I'd do alright with a couple months practice.

Played trumpet for a couple of years as a small tike - I'm sure I can't play at all any longer. My parents forced me to play piano for 2 years at an even earlier age. I can't play anything on the piano, though. I wish I had stuck with that more than anything.....

Baby Lee
01-22-2001, 07:58 AM
Bebopped/Improv-ed on my Selmer "Super Action-80" tenor sax for 6-7 years, still pull it out once a week to keep the chops on 'standby.'

I have dabbled in most wind [clarinet, flute, other saxes, no double reeds] and smaller brass [trumpet, euphonium, baritone] instruments enough to be facile with the fingerings, etc. Still have my trumpet, but my chops are about those of a decent sixth-grader.

Never really did anything on the drums, piano, guitar however. And naturally, my singing voice is quite unpleasant.

ChiTown
01-22-2001, 08:24 AM
Played both acoustic and electric guitars for about 10 years as a kid (8-18). I put it down when I got to college, and never played again.

Taught myself to play the piano in college (I saw how it got one of my buddies laid, so I gave it a try). Never had quite the success on the piano as my friend, but I still tickle the ivory now and then. I love to sing in the shower, but it hurts my dogs ears too much:D

Iowanian
01-22-2001, 09:21 AM
I played the trumpet for a few years, had natural talent and didn't have to practice much...but didn't fit in too well with the band kids...and the teach..was a candyass..

hobbies: like looking for pink clam pearls and spend significant time looking for new hunting grounds. ;)

In years past my hobbies have included demolition derby(10years), bull riding and steer wrestling and hunting buckle bunnys, and dabbled in skydiving...now that i'm older, i regret many of these activities every morning while trying to crawl from bed.

Now most hobbies revolve around Bass fishing and hunting..slow relaxing actvity.

Raiderhater--my brothers and I also do a little paintball..

[Edited by Iowanian on 01-22-2001 at 11:44 AM]

Archie F. Swin
01-22-2001, 09:48 AM
Teenager,

The R&B drummer Zoro signed my snare drum head back in November after a drum clinic. He's a great drummer. My
hope is that his signature will make my playing a little more funky.

WisChief
01-22-2001, 10:42 AM
Never played any instruments - but really wish that I had. Grew up around it - my brother played just about anything.

I've always said and wished that if I come back in a second life I want to be a drummer!!! Saw Tommy Lee do his strapped in the chair routine over the stage upside down at Kemper one year and said then that thats what I wanna do. Too damn old now to even think about that - but...

We did buy our 3 year old son a set of junior drums for Christmas and I swear he has more talent and rythm than I do. He loves it and I hope to get him in lessons soon. Any ideas on when that might be good to start? He loves all kinds of music and loves to blow on horns, bang on the drums and he even has an old acoustic guitar that he strums. Super fun!!!

I spend ALL of my freetime (and even not freetime) training for Ironman California Triathlon (2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike and 26.2 mile run) coming in May - trying to Qualify for Ironman Hawaii.

Gracie Dean
01-22-2001, 08:27 PM
I play PIano, Clarinet, Sax and am currently learning the guitar. I love music and oh by the way, I also sing like shania twain and tayna tucker.

Pam

Archie F. Swin
01-23-2001, 10:08 PM
here's one for the jazz cats . . .
http://www.cuddinfish.homestead.com/files/bird.jpg
this is one land mark thats tough to find.

KCWolfman
01-24-2001, 06:55 PM
CRP - Actually, I know the plot... it is in Independence off of 24 HWY.... The Bird has had a total of 4 stones stolen. You will find that particular one has a base much larger than the top and is packed in cement to stop further theft.

Phobia
01-24-2001, 08:02 PM
Dang, Russ - that bit of trivia is just a little bit scary. Especially knowing you aren't in that line of work.

Raiderhader
01-24-2001, 08:12 PM
Raiderhater--my brothers and I also do a little paintball..

Iowanian,
what kind of guns do you have? My parents got my brothers and me PMI Piranhas for Christmas. We went out for the first time (for two of us) this past Saturday and had a blast. I am looking forward to spending a lot more time at it. It is just to bad that it is such an expensive hobby.

KCWolfman
01-24-2001, 08:41 PM
Phil - LOL.... I am a big jazz fan and lived very close to the cemetery for some time. I also collect charcoal rubbings of famous tombstones.

Besides, in a roundabout way, it is in my line. If the doc dont do his job right........

redhed
01-24-2001, 09:02 PM
I was a music major in college! I was a vocalist, a bass. I studied opera, folk, jazz, a little eastern music, and sang in a bunch of choirs. Instrumentally, I can play guitar (acoustic&electric), bass guitar, trumpet, french horn, tuba, piano, xylophone, marimba, and various other percussive instruments.

CRP: Nice pic of Bird's stone. A curse on anybody else who takes it!

I like to shoot guns too. Mostly stationary targets and some clays. Hand gun, rifle, shotgun, gatling gun, ya know, tha' usual.... :D

Wish I wuz better at drum set...

[Edited by redhed on 01-24-2001 at 10:09 PM]

Joe Seahawk
01-29-2001, 02:16 PM
My brother and I decided four months ago that we were going to build a sea Kayak..It has been a blast and also very rewarding..So far we figured we have 400 hours invested in it..Mostly my bro, his schedule allows him more time than mine.

There are some pictures on this site from start to finish, some of you may find it interesting.....Joe

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1331388&a=10668335

morphius
01-29-2001, 08:12 PM
I think my hobby has got to be bowling, and next year I will bowl in at least 2 leagues, with a goal of bowling in a few tournaments if I can continue what I have been doing as of late.

In the last 6 weeks I have only bowled 1 series worse then 660, and tonight I ripped off 236, 269, 269 for a 774 series. I only had 1 ball not right in the pocket in the last 2 games.

Morphius
Pretty Pumped.

WisChief
01-29-2001, 08:44 PM
Jeff, sounds like more than hobby to me. ;)

morphius
01-29-2001, 08:46 PM
Wis - I'm only bowling once a week right now, but if I can make it more then a hobby I would love too. It was cool having everyone in the entire bowling alley applauding when they heard the series announced.