PDA

View Full Version : Motherboard and CPU question

Coach
11-25-2006, 09:30 PM
I am thinking of upgrading my motherboard and the CPU.

I need to know what type/kind of RAM I am currently using for my PC. All I know that it is a DDR, and I have 1G on it. What I am looking for is the MHz. Anywhere I can find that information?

I could just easily open up the desktop PC, but I rather not go through that painsaking unplugging, unscrewing, pulling it out, finding the information, then putting the damned thing back together. Is there an alternative option?

Finally, will it make a difference in terms of that I want to keep my origional hard drive? I would assume that the current hard drive I have would store the information for the current motherboard and CPU that I use. Would that be an issue if I do upgrade my motherboard and CPU?

Coach
11-25-2006, 09:50 PM
Basically, I guess what I should be saying is, I would like to use some parts from my origional computer to a newer and improved motherboard and CPU.

For example, I'd rather not have a new hard drive, a new CD/DVD rom, etc etc.

If there are any sites out there where I can build from scratch, and not having to need to select a hard-drive, with a OS involved.

DaFace
11-25-2006, 10:54 PM
I need to know what type/kind of RAM I am currently using for my PC. All I know that it is a DDR, and I have 1G on it. What I am looking for is the MHz. Anywhere I can find that information?

Download cpu-z here (http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php). It'll tell you the speed your memory is currently running at.

Finally, will it make a difference in terms of that I want to keep my origional hard drive? I would assume that the current hard drive I have would store the information for the current motherboard and CPU that I use. Would that be an issue if I do upgrade my motherboard and CPU?

There's about a 1 in 20 chance that you could just try to boot up to the drive attached to the new mobo and it would work. Chances are, though, you'll have to reinstall Windows on the drive once it's running off of your new mobo. Most of the time you can get away with doing a "repair" install, which would keep your applications and settings.

Coach
11-26-2006, 12:38 PM
Download cpu-z here (http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php). It'll tell you the speed your memory is currently running at.

There's about a 1 in 20 chance that you could just try to boot up to the drive attached to the new mobo and it would work. Chances are, though, you'll have to reinstall Windows on the drive once it's running off of your new mobo. Most of the time you can get away with doing a "repair" install, which would keep your applications and settings.

1 in 20 eh? Looks ike the odds aren't very good there. So it looks like that the better option would be to use a new hard drive with the new OS in it, eh?

DaFace
11-26-2006, 12:48 PM
1 in 20 eh? Looks ike the odds aren't very good there. So it looks like that the better option would be to use a new hard drive with the new OS in it, eh?

I've done the "repair install" thing at least 15-20 times. It almost always works. That's probably what I'd do. Basically, put your old HD in connected to your new MB, boot up to a Windows installation CD, then choose "R" at the window where you'd normally choose what drive to install on. Google "repair install" for more info.

Mr. Laz
11-26-2006, 01:10 PM
you can hit "Del" as your computer is booting up ..... it should show you Memory information in the bios too.

instructions for windows XP repair installation (http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm)

SLAG
11-26-2006, 01:24 PM
now sounds like a good time to switch to linux

:D