PDA

View Full Version : Crapware On New PCs

Simplex3
11-26-2006, 08:17 AM
Holy s**t. My wife (who refuses to use any OS not name "Windows") was desperately in need of a new computer. The old one, and I do mean OLD, was on it's way out. So off to OfficeDepot for a $450 HP. Black Friday special, purchased at noon on Sat. because they have just pulled some more off of a truck. :)

Anywho, I get the thing home and there is so much puke on it that it barely runs. Even better, some of this s**t isn't even listed in Add/Remove Programs. Also, even after you "remove" some of it it's still there for the next person who logs on. Then there's this "Vongo" piece of crap that reinstalls itself every time you log on.

So I finally give up and ask HP support if there's a way to just install the OS. Of course not. I burn 3 DVDs (yes, *DVDs*) for the Restore Media and can't install just the OS. Their recommendation: Download a freeware app called "CCleaner", which stands for "Crap Cleaner".

ROFL

DaFace
11-26-2006, 08:22 AM
I downloaded an OEM version of XP Home Edition for that reason. It'll let you clean install using the Windows key on the side of the PC. It's ridiculous how much crap they put on there these days.

Simplex3
11-26-2006, 08:26 AM
I downloaded an OEM version of XP Home Edition for that reason. It'll let you clean install using the Windows key on the side of the PC. It's ridiculous how much crap they put on there these days.
Yeah, I'm going to find out where I can "acquire" a copy of XP Media Center that I can trust (that's what this came with).

DaFace
11-26-2006, 08:35 AM
Yeah, I'm going to find out where I can "acquire" a copy of XP Media Center that I can trust (that's what this came with).

I haven't dealt with reinstalling MC, but I assume it has the same issues as Home. Make sure you get an OEM version of the software. Otherwise, it won't take your CD key and you won't be able to activate it after you reinstall.