PDA

View Full Version : What is the formula radio stations use.......

Bowser
11-28-2006, 09:06 AM
...to come up with their playlists? It makes no sense that Guns n Roses, along with many other bands, gets regular rotation on rock radio (here in KC anyway). There are so many new bands with so much GOOD new stuff that doesn't get played, or even mentioned.

KC has got to have among THE WORST radio stations in the country when it comes to spinning the same songs over and over and over and over......

Curious as to why there isn't more diversification with playlists. Is it that the company who owns the radio stations (Entercomm) has a contract with record labels, and are obligated to play "the hits" of certain artists and certain amount of times per week, or what?

And to be clear, this isn't a gripe about the quality of music getting played, just the repetitiveness of the same songs.

chagrin
11-28-2006, 09:15 AM
Well Bowser,

Depends on the market, the ownership (if it's the fastly disappearing independent owner or gigantic Cumulus, Citadel, Clear Channel type)
Some owners are still customer oriented and music heavy, while others are run strictly for the money. That may seem like an obvious statement but back when I was in radio, it was more about the music and the ads were second, now obviously it's different.

Then from there, it goes to target demographic obviously, then music director - many music directors (if this position even exists anymore, I was a music director for several stations - I think it falls under the heading now of "Operations" or simply "program director", if they have any say whatsoever, will sometimes use test marketing groups in markets that are outside of their own market, to determine which songs get the most favorable"

of course, also they go by top 40, etc. Also if a classic rock station, is it mellow classic, hard rock classic, etc.

It's not a set standard accross the board

Lzen
11-28-2006, 10:13 AM
That's always been my biggest complaint with radio. Even songs that I like become annoying if they play them over and over and over. CDs and MP3s are your friend. ;)

Demonpenz
11-29-2006, 07:18 AM
you could turn on the rock in 95 or 2005 and still have the same playlist. Call em up bowser they maybe they will play your cyber sets

ZepSinger
11-29-2006, 10:01 AM
I've given up on traditional radio. I subscribe to rhapsody.com (http://www.rhapsody.com)-- it's all I listen to now, as far as music stations go.

Z