PDA

View Full Version : The Complete List of Guitar Players Better Than Alex Lifeson

Braincase
12-01-2006, 02:23 PM
I'll start with ...

Joe Satriani

Braincase
12-01-2006, 02:28 PM
I'll start with ...

Joe Satriani

Eric Johnson
Steve Vai
Kirk Hammett

ChiefFripp
12-01-2006, 02:34 PM
it's all subjective, but in the spirit of the thread ;) I'll go with...

Kurt Cobain
Angus and Malcom Young
Iggy Pop( I think he farted over a pickup while fingering a C7th once)

Brock
12-01-2006, 02:37 PM
Willie Nelson

NewChief
12-01-2006, 02:40 PM
Lester Flatt
Doc Watson

Lzen
12-01-2006, 02:45 PM
Eric Johnson - check
Steve Vai -check
Kirk Hammett - ummm...I don't know about that

;)

Add another one

John Petrucci

htismaqe
12-01-2006, 03:02 PM
A complete list is not possible...man simply doesn't live that long.

Braincase
12-01-2006, 03:05 PM
Lester Flatt
Doc Watson

Chet Atkins
Roy Clark
Tuck Andress
Al DiMeola
Alexi Laiho
Frank Gambale

Lzen
12-01-2006, 03:07 PM
A complete list is not possible...man simply doesn't live that long.

:LOL:

I was thinking of posting something like that. Great minds.
:thumb:

jlscorpio
12-01-2006, 03:30 PM
Josh Homme

ChiefsCountry
12-01-2006, 03:31 PM
Keith Urban
Jimmi Hendrix

alpha_omega
12-01-2006, 03:35 PM
I'll play along...

Carlos Santana

Halfcan
12-01-2006, 03:56 PM
Eric Johnson
Steve Vai
Kirk Hammett

Steve Vai-yep he is good-he can play left handed or right and even at the same time on a crazy double neck guitar. He can make weird sounds and blast 10 thousand notes a second. But unfortunately his music has always lacked heart.

Kirk-a very one dimensional speed guitarist that gets limited in his creativity by James Hatfield.

Eric Johnson-great guitarist that gets overshadowed by Satch. His music is always creative and cutting edge. Give him 40 years and he might catch up with Alex.

Halfcan
12-01-2006, 03:57 PM
I'll start with ...

Joe Satriani

Satch- a true master but his music all sounds the same-like one long incredible solo. Does he even know how to play chords?

ChiefFripp
12-01-2006, 03:58 PM
Steve Vai-yep he is good-he can play left handed or right and even at the same time on a crazy double neck guitar. He can make weird sounds and blast 10 thousand notes a second. But unfortunately his music has always lacked heart.

Kirk-a very one dimensional speed guitarist that gets limited in his creativity by James Hatfield.

Eric Johnson-great guitarist that gets overshadowed by Satch. His music is always creative and cutting edge. Give him 40 years and he might catch up with Alex.

Maybe Halfcan is actually baiting us? :hmmm:

Halfcan
12-01-2006, 04:00 PM
I'll play along...

Carlos Santana

Santana- what a great player, plays with his own style and with a lot of feeling. Not the fastest, but he makes the most out of every note. Unfortunately, he maxed out twenty years ago and has been getting by on reputation. I would like to see Carlos break some new ground.

siberian khatru
12-01-2006, 04:01 PM
Steve Howe (at least he used to be ... probably not anymore, at least on electric)

Steve Hackett

John McLaughlin

Clapton

Alvin Lee

On and on ...

You know, I like Rush, and I respect Lifeson (and Geddy). But Rush for me has been more about Peart's drumming and lyrics.

Ari Chi3fs
12-01-2006, 04:04 PM
I know this dude named Bob who has a guitar in his cubicle. I think he may qualify for this...

Halfcan
12-01-2006, 04:05 PM

Kurt Cobain
Angus and Malcom Young

Kurt Cobain- his idea of a solo is detuning the E string and getting feedback from the amp. Probably the most overrated average songwriters ever.

Angus- biggest heart ever, great showmanship, and always leaves it all out on stage. Unfortunately his greatest work came in the 70's and has never regained his hunger to push the boundaries of music.

Iggy- umm not a fan but always felt like he was the odd man out in being weird behind David Bowie and Alice Cooper.

siberian khatru
12-01-2006, 04:07 PM
http://www.hotguitarist.com/guitar_artists/guitar_players.htm

ChiefFripp
12-01-2006, 04:07 PM
Steve Howe (at least he used to be ... probably not anymore, at least on electric)

Steve Hackett

John McLaughlin

Clapton

Alvin Lee

On and on ...

You know, I like Rush, and I respect Lifeson (and Geddy). But Rush for me has been more about Peart's drumming and lyrics.
You probably really like Al Di Meola as well? I went through a phase where I really like Mahavishnu and Al's stuff.

siberian khatru
12-01-2006, 04:09 PM
http://www.digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/best_newguitar.html

http://blogcritics.org/archives/2003/08/28/123326.php

Halfcan
12-01-2006, 04:10 PM

Steve Hackett

John McLaughlin

Clapton

Alvin Lee

On and on ...

Clapton bores me. Slow hand has a nice sound, but his songs are too repetitive. If I have to hear Cocain one more time... I like his acoustic stuff better than electric.

The rest on your list are all excellent players that have carved out their own sound.

Alex's guitar work took a backseat through the 90's but he has vowed to make it a top priority with the new CD coming out in Spring of 2007.

siberian khatru
12-01-2006, 04:10 PM
You probably really like Al Di Meola as well? I went through a phase where I really like Mahavishnu and Al's stuff.

Yes. Well, to be honest, when I was a teen I was really into DiMeola and McLaughlin -- haven't really listened much in the last 15 or so years. I saw Al play with the classic Return to Forever lineup when I was about 17. Technically dazzling, his heart leaves something to be desired.

siberian khatru
12-01-2006, 04:11 PM
Clapton bores me. Slow hand has a nice sound, but his songs are too repetitive. If I have to hear Cocain one more time... I like his acoustic stuff better than electric.

The rest on your list are all excellent players that have carved out their own sound.

Alex's guitar work took a backseat through the 90's but he has vowed to make it a top priority with the new CD coming out in Spring of 2007.

Now, that's a nice, rational response. Kudos to you. :thumb:

Halfcan
12-01-2006, 04:11 PM
I know this dude named Bob who has a guitar in his cubicle. I think he may qualify for this...

Bob is a great guitarist probably the best ever.

Halfcan
12-01-2006, 04:12 PM
Willie Nelson

Willie is a great song writer that lives his music on a daily basis. I also hear he has some killer weed in his RV also.

Halfcan
12-01-2006, 04:18 PM
Now, that's a nice, rational response. Kudos to you. :thumb:

I used to play a bit of guitar and totally respect anyone that does.

Randy Rhoads could have been considered up there with the best ever if he hadnt died. Randy was taking the guitar in directions only Satch and Vai have done. He suffers from only having two incredible alblums to his whole body of work.

Although Jimi's career was a shooting star also-he put together a lot of music in his short career. I think Jimi gets more credit for being an innovator of a sound- then an actual player.

siberian khatru
12-01-2006, 04:21 PM
I used to play a bit of guitar and totally respect anyone that does.

Randy Rhoads could have been considered up there with the best ever if he hadnt died. Randy was taking the guitar in directions only Satch and Vai have done. He suffers from only having two incredible alblums to his whole body of work.

Although Jimi's career was a shooting star also-he put together a lot of music in his short career. I think Jimi gets more credit for being an innovator of a sound- then an actual player.

Totally agree on Rhoads. Re: Jimi, I really think it's both -- I think some of his stuff with Band of Gypsies shows what directions he was going with different styles, not just with producing roman candles of sound out of his axe.

Halfcan
12-01-2006, 04:24 PM
Eric Johnson
Steve Vai
Kirk Hammett

One more thing about Johnson. Him and ALex are good friends- Eric has opened for Rush many times and states ALex was a big influence on his playing. On the other hand- Alex is a huge Eric Johnson fan and feels he is an absolute master on the guitar. He has also inspired Alex to create new sounds and new progressive chord structures within the music of Rush.

Alex and Rik Emmitt of Triumph recently held a guitar class-it looked very cool. Rik was said to be in awe of Alex-expecially on acoustic- where he is very under rated.

Halfcan
12-01-2006, 04:27 PM
Totally agree on Rhoads. Re: Jimi, I really think it's both -- I think some of his stuff with Band of Gypsies shows what directions he was going with different styles, not just with producing roman candles of sound out of his axe.

Have you heard a lot of the CD's that came out after his death? He has several absolute gems-guitar wise. Add 30 more years of work, and I dont think there would ever be an arguement who is the best.

For most polls- Jimi usually gets the nod as the Greatest.

siberian khatru
12-01-2006, 04:27 PM

I'm gonna post this whole list, because I think it's one of the better ones. For instance, Gary Moore -- nice pick. Maybe too high, but a guy often overlooked. Others: Ritchie Blackmore, who I like a lot. Allan Holdsworth. Terry Kath.

1. Jimi Hendrix* - Jimi Hendrix Experience
2. Eric Clapton - Yardbirds, Cream, Derek & The Dominos, Solo
3. Jimmy Page - Yardbirds, Led Zeppelin, The Firm
4. Jeff Beck - Yardbirds, Jeff Beck Group, Solo
5. Eddie Van Halen - Van Halen
6. Stevie Ray Vaughan* - Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble
7. Joe Satriani - Solo
8. Ritchie Blackmore - Deep Purple, Rainbow, Blackmores Night
9. Steve Vai - David Lee Roth, Whitesnake, Solo
10. David Gilmour - Pink Floyd, Solo
11. John Petrucci - Dream Theater, Liquid Tension Experiment
12. Randy Rhoads* - Quiet Riot, Ozzy
13. Allan Holdsworth - Solo
14. Paul Gilbert - Mr. Big, Racer X, Solo
15. Yngwie Malmsteen - Rising Force, Solo
16. Phil Keaggy - Glass Harp, Solo
17. Jason Becker - Cacophony, David Lee Roth Band, Solo
18. John Mclaughlin- Mahavishnu Orchestra
19. Duane Allman* - Allman Brothers Band, Derek & the Dominos
20. Chuck Berry - Solo
21. Eric Johnson - Solo
22. Steve Howe - Yes, Solo
23. Neal Schon - Santana, Journey, Solo
24. Brian May - Queen
25. Gary Moore - Thin Lizzy, Colosseum II, Skid Row, Solo
26. Bo Diddley - Solo
27. Steve Morse - Deep Purple, Dixie Dregs, Steve Morse Band, Solo
28. Carlos Santana - Santana
29. Tony Iommi - Black Sabbath
30. Buckethead - Solo, Praxis, Thanatopsis, The Deli Creeps, Cornbugs, GNR,
31. Mark Knopfler - Dire Straits, Solo
32. Marty Friedman - Cacophony, Megadeth, Solo
33. Nuno Bettencourt - Extreme, Mourning Widows
34. Shawn Lane* - Black Oak Arkansas, Willy, Solo
35. Kirk Hammett - Metallica
36. Uli Jon Roth - Scorpions, Solo
37. Terry Kath* - Chicago Transit Authority
38. Alex Lifeson - Rush
39. Frank Zappa* - Mothers of Invention, Solo
40. Rory Gallagher* - Solo
41. Dimebag Darrell* - Pantera
42. Peter Green - Fleetwood Mac, Solo
43. Robin Trower - Procal Harum, Solo
44. Slash - Guns N' Roses, Velvet Revolver
45. Mick Taylor - John Mayall's Bluesbreakers, Rolling Stones
46. Robert Fripp - King Crimson
47. Tom Morello - Rage Against the Machine, Audioslave
48. Michael Schenker - Scorpions, UFO, MSG, Contraband
49. Ry Cooder - Solo
50. Angus Young - AC/DC
51. Keith Richards - Rolling Stones, Solo
52. Michael Angelo Batio - Nitro, Solo
53. John Squire - Stone Roses
54. Pete Townshend - The Who
55. Steve Hackett - Genisis
56. Zakk Wylde - Ozzy Osbourne, Black Label Society
57. George Harrison* - Beatles, Traveling Wilberys, Solo
58. Alvin Lee - Ten Years After
59. Dave Davies - Kinks
60. Jerry Cantrell - Alice In Chains, Solo
61. Steve Stevens - Billy Idol
62. Johnny Winter - Solo
63. Dickie Betts - Allman Brothers Band, Dickey Betts & Great Southern
64. John Cipollina* - Quicksilver Messenger Service
65. Kenny Wayne Shepherd - Kenny Wayne Shepherd Band
66. Steve Cropper - Booker T. & MG's/Stax sessions
67. Adrian Belew - King Crimson
68. Joe Bonamassa - Solo
69. Steve Lukather - Toto, Solo
70. Jerry Garcia* - Grateful Dead
71. Joe Perry - Aerosmith
72. Prince - Prince & The Revolution
73. Kim Mitchell - Max Webster, Solo
74. Adrian Smith - Iron Maiden
75. Dave Murray - Iron Maiden
76. Neil Young - Buffalo Springfield, CSNY, Solo
77. Billy Gibbons - ZZ Top
78. Tony MacAlpine - Solo
79. Mike McCready - Pearl Jam
80. Adam Jones - Tool
81. Gary Hoey - Solo
82. Leslie West - Mountain, Solo
83. Peter Frampton - Humble Pie, Frampton's Camel, Solo
84. Dick Dale - Del-Tones
85. Vito Bratta - White Lion
86. Mickey "Guitar" Baker - 50's sessions/ Mickey & Sylvia
87. John Frusciante - Red Hot Chili Peppers
88. Ronnie Montrose - Montrose, Edgar Winter Group
89. Mick Ronson* - David Bowie, Solo
90. Roy Buchanan* - Solo
91. Warren Haynes - Allman Brothers Band, Gov't Mule
92. Vinnie Moore - Alice Cooper, Solo
93. Robbie Krieger - Doors, Solo
94. Chris DeGarmo - Queensryche
95. Jake E. Lee - Cutting Crew, Ozzy, Badlands, Solo
96. Glen Tipton - Judas Priest
97. Joe Walsh - James Gang, Eagles, Solo
98. K.K. Downing - Judas Priest
99. Eddie Hazel* - Funkadelic
100. Alex Skolnick - Testament

ChiefFripp
12-01-2006, 04:36 PM
Robert Fripp 46?! John Fruciante 89?!

Oh well, rating artist like contestants is kind of missing the point anyways.

siberian khatru
12-01-2006, 04:37 PM
Robert Fripp 46?! John Fruciante 89?!

Oh well, rating artist like contestants is kind of missing the point anyways.

I'm usually satisfied just seeing a guy listed.

Halfcan
12-01-2006, 04:39 PM
Buckethead over Alex-give me a break.

The top four all came up together-so I am not surprised.

Halfcan
12-01-2006, 04:41 PM
Alex should be tied for # 1 since he is just as good and has 20 times the body of work.

ChiefFripp
12-01-2006, 04:43 PM
You know, I don't really know any Jeff Beck. I know of his history with the Yardbirds and Rod Steward and Ron Wood being in the original Jeff Beck group, but I have actually never really listened to him. Strange considering many of my favorite guitarist almost worship him. What's some good instrumentals from this guy I should check out?

siberian khatru
12-01-2006, 04:45 PM
You know, I don't really know any Jeff Beck. I know of his history with the Yardbirds and Rod Steward and Ron Wood being in the original Jeff Beck group, but I have actually never really listened to him. Strange considering many of my favorite guitarist almost worship him. What's some good instrumentals from this guy I should check out?

"Beck's Bolero"

ChiefFripp
12-01-2006, 04:51 PM
"Beck's Bolero"
Thanks, yeah I've actually have heard this a few times, never knew it was Jeff Beck though. I like sustainy guitar so this is cool for me.

Halfcan
12-01-2006, 04:51 PM
Geddy Lee just got voted 13th best singer from Heavy Metal Magazine. Voted Best Bass Player for the last ten years and Neil just got voted best drummer again. Just saying.

Braincase
12-01-2006, 06:22 PM
Buckethead over Alex-give me a break.

The top four all came up together-so I am not surprised.

Buckethead is more prolific and has a better range. Not to mention shear technical prowess. Incredible - and he plays like he does wearing a freakin' mask.

QuikSsurfer
12-01-2006, 06:48 PM

Kurt Cobain
Angus and Malcom Young

lol, are you joking? Kurt Cobain? wow, what an average, at best, guitar player - don't get me wrong, i love nirvana as the next grunge junkie but i'd say Daniel Johns is the best in that genre.

Archie F. Swin
12-01-2006, 07:01 PM
Andy Partridge

Lzen
12-01-2006, 07:31 PM
Geddy Lee just got voted 13th best singer from Heavy Metal Magazine. Voted Best Bass Player for the last ten years and Neil just got voted best drummer again. Just saying.

Heh, Mike Portnoy won Modern Drummer's top award for several years running. Peart wishes he could play like MP. :p

Lzen
12-01-2006, 07:34 PM
lol, are you joking? Kurt Cobain? wow, what an average, at best, guitar player - don't get me wrong, i love nirvana as the next grunge junkie but i'd say Daniel Johns is the best in that genre.

I actually posted a comment about that vote for Cobain but I deleted it. I didn't wanna sound like an ass. But I agree, Kurt was an average, at best, guitar player. Frankly, I never thought his music was all that. But I know he was very influential in his short time of fame while he was on this Earth. That was for his songwriting , not for his guitar playing.

Halfcan
12-01-2006, 09:38 PM
Buckethead is more prolific and has a better range. Not to mention shear technical prowess. Incredible - and he plays like he does wearing a freakin' mask.

LMAO the guy is very average-if he didnt wear that ridicules KFC bucket on his head-nobody would even now him.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-01-2006, 09:53 PM
Kip Winger.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-01-2006, 09:54 PM
John Christ
Tom Morello

thedude
12-02-2006, 05:16 AM
Jerry Cantrell
Ace Frehley
Mike Campbell

Braincase
12-02-2006, 08:40 AM
Jerry Cantrell
Ace Frehley
Mike Campbell

OK... gotta say "Nyet" to Ace Frehley. Most of his solos can be played by others at 4x speed.

Nzoner
12-02-2006, 09:13 AM

At least Billy made one list.

StcChief
12-02-2006, 09:22 AM
www.digitaldreamdoor.com/pag..._newguitar.html (http://www.digitaldreamdoor.com/pag..._newguitar.html)

Hendrix
Page
Jeff Beck
David Gilmour
even Keith Richards...

this is a who's who of guitar.

Stewie
12-02-2006, 09:26 AM
I don't see Bruce Cockburn on any of the lists. What's the criteria? Sold lots of records? The man can flat-out play. Maybe it's because he usually plays acoustic, or he's Canadian.

Archie F. Swin
12-02-2006, 09:32 AM
Adrian Bellew :shrug:

siberian khatru
12-02-2006, 09:42 AM

As a Crimson fan, I concur.

ChiefFripp
12-02-2006, 09:57 AM
Adrian Belew is great and if you listen to Alex lifeson's solo project 'Victor" , it has a song called 'Strip and Go Naked' that is obviously Belew inspired. So since Lifeson admires Belew, Belew must be a thousand times better than Lifeson ;)

chagrin
12-02-2006, 09:59 AM
John Christ

LMAO

I know you were joking, I love it!!

ChiefFripp
12-02-2006, 10:02 AM
Man, got me thinking about Belew. That guy is just one of those natural musicians. According to Adrian himself ,he doesn't know much about music theory, yet he can still play with people like Zappa, Fripp, Les Claypool and Danny Carey. he can also play a ton of instruments and has a few albums where he plays or sings EVERY sound you hear . His solo recordings are hit and miss to say the least , but his natural music ability probably exceeds that of people like Hendrix and may be on par with Beethoven.

ChiefFripp
12-02-2006, 10:03 AM
LMAO

I know you were joking, I love it!!
I like John's playing on the first 3 Danzig albums.

ZepSinger
12-02-2006, 10:17 AM
I think Jimi gets more credit for being an innovator of a sound- then an actual player.

Insert spit take here. :eek:

Z

Braincase
12-02-2006, 12:30 PM
I think I'll add John 5 to the list.

Braincase
12-02-2006, 12:39 PM
LMAO the guy is very average-if he didnt wear that ridicules KFC bucket on his head-nobody would even now him.

Y'know, I started this thread to yank your chain. I am now convinced you have a tin ear and a complete inability to recognized guitar virtuosity. You can't possibly be a player, or a musician of any modicum of ability to say such an inane statement.

Lifeson is good. Better than average, but you really don't have a freakin' clue what your talking about except when the subject is Rush, and then you go straight to unqualified exaggeration.

Oz_Chief
12-02-2006, 01:06 PM

I agree. I'm actually listening to "Diorama" right now and Daniel can put down some pretty good stuff. I am not a huge Silverchair fan but I like the Van Dyke Parks touch on "Diorama".

QuikSsurfer
12-02-2006, 01:22 PM
I agree. I'm actually listening to "Diorama" right now and Daniel can put down some pretty good stuff. I am not a huge Silverchair fan but I like the Van Dyke Parks touch on "Diorama".
Diorama is an AMAZING album.. from start to finish
love "too much of not enough"
looking forward to their new release in 07

ChiefFripp
12-02-2006, 01:28 PM
The whole Kurt cobain thing was a joke. I thought adding the Young brothers and Iggy Pop would clue everyone in to my sarcasm. Anyways, I really do like Nirvana and Cobain, it's just that if you ever want to piss off a fan of a guitar virtuoso, just tell them you think Cobain is better.

Easy 6
12-02-2006, 01:40 PM
Kurt Cobain- his idea of a solo is detuning the E string and getting feedback from the amp. Probably the most overrated average songwriters ever.

Dude, jump back...Kurt is recognized by musicians of all stripes as one of the BEST ever.

His music was based on converting raw emotion into sound. More often than not, emotion is not a clean & neat thing...it can be ugly, it howls, it screams and wails.

No offense to Rush, i appreciate that they are incredibly skilled guys, and i do like a few of their cuts......BUT, its the overly complex arrangements that, to me atleast, steal the emotion from their songs.

I prefer guys who can wring more feeling out of 3 notes to guys who always feel like they need some sweeping, intricate run.

Music is emotion, and nobody wrote grittier, emotion filled songs better.

Its all a matter of taste, but KURT RULEZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!

Ebolapox
12-02-2006, 01:47 PM
eh, I'm too young to know who half of those guys are-- but I'll throw in tom morello of rage against the machine (he's dead to me due to the audioslave stuff)--one of the best 'next generation' guys

Easy 6
12-02-2006, 01:49 PM
OK... gotta say "Nyet" to Ace Frehley. Most of his solos can be played by others at 4x speed.

Frehley rocked, dont confuse notes per second with great licks. Nobody had a better vibrato than Ace. Thats what kills me with rating guitarists...complexity does NOT equal greatness IMHO.

thedude
12-02-2006, 02:51 PM
Frehley rocked, dont confuse notes per second with great licks. Nobody had a better vibrato than Ace. Thats what kills me with rating guitarists...complexity does NOT equal greatness IMHO.

yeah, you gotta be smoking rocks not to think Ace isn't one of the best guitarists of the last 30 years. His style is probably one of the most emulated as well. Countless players will list him as one of their main influences. Mike McCready has basically admitted that the solo to Alive was copied from an old Frehley riff.

It gets at me too, because people tend to think that technical skill and speed and "shredding" (which is such bullshit anyways) and not the passion and the emotion of the solo in the context of the song.

ZepSinger
12-02-2006, 03:09 PM
Hey, I like both Rush and Kiss as much as anyone. But on the 10 scale (1=nonplayer, 10=best to ever pick up a guitar), I'd have to give Frehley a 4 and Lifeson a 6.

Not sure if anyone can achieve a 10 in both feel and technique, so I'll break my favs up this way:

Hendrix- 10 (innovation and style)
Michael Schenker- 9 (sound and technique)
Yngwie- 10 (technique)
Buckethead- 10 (virtuosity and technique)
Ian Bairnson (Alan Parsons Project)- 9 (feel and sound)
SRV- 10 (style and sound)
Satriani- 8 (technique)

BTW, I humbly place myself at a 5- in between Frehley and Lifeson. :)

Z

Easy 6
12-02-2006, 03:10 PM
yeah, you gotta be smoking rocks not to think Ace isn't one of the best guitarists of the last 30 years. His style is probably one of the most emulated as well. Countless players will list him as one of their main influences. Mike McCready has basically admitted that the solo to Alive was copied from an old Frehley riff.

It gets at me too, because people tend to think that technical skill and speed and "shredding" (which is such bullshit anyways) and not the passion and the emotion of the solo in the context of the song.

BAM :thumb: !!!

Braincase
12-02-2006, 03:13 PM
I've had a guitar teacher better than Alex Lifeson... granted, the guy had a monthly column on jazz improvisation in Guitar Player magazine for half of the 70's...

Braincase
12-02-2006, 03:25 PM
yeah, you gotta be smoking rocks not to think Ace isn't one of the best guitarists of the last 30 years. His style is probably one of the most emulated as well. Countless players will list him as one of their main influences...

I didn't say Ace wasn't influential, and I do respect scott free's opinion about technique.

This whole thread is 100% subjective. There are any number of guitar players that are above average at best from a technique perspective, but have become some of the most influential players out there. Angus Young is very influential, but I would say Gary Moore is more technically astute. If I were putting together a progrock group, I would admit that Lifeson would be on my top-10, and others on that list would include Steve Howe, John Petrucci, Robert Fripp, Charlie Hunter, Buckethead, and some others. If I were putting together a blues rock band, it's be Gary Moore, Jeff Beck, Chris Duarte, Henry Garza, Joe Bonamossa, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Clapton and others.

Brock
12-02-2006, 03:27 PM
Alex Lifeson was good before he morphed into Andy Summers.

siberian khatru
12-02-2006, 03:50 PM
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KBkgJPmYaXM"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KBkgJPmYaXM" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Lzen
12-02-2006, 05:37 PM
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KBkgJPmYaXM"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KBkgJPmYaXM" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

At the risk of sounding like a dumbass, I gotta ask. Who is that?

siberian khatru
12-02-2006, 05:40 PM

Not a dumbass at all. Steve Hackett.

Lzen
12-02-2006, 05:43 PM
He must be one of John Petrucci's influences. I can hear some aspects of his style in the tune. Cool stuff.

ZepSinger
12-02-2006, 06:03 PM

WHEW!! I thought it was only me.....

ChiefFripp
12-02-2006, 06:28 PM
Hackett loves Fripp and other than his picking style , you can tell. He's got the tremoloed Gibson and everything. Plus his tone sounds just like Fripp's.

Archie F. Swin
12-02-2006, 09:38 PM
No offense to Rush, i appreciate that they are incredibly skilled guys, and i do like a few of their cuts......BUT, its the overly complex arrangements that, to me atleast, steal the emotion from their songs.

...Music is emotion, and nobody wrote grittier, emotion filled songs better.

Its all a matter of taste, but KURT RULEZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!

True, Rush's music isn't enveloped by emotion...but you can't deny that Lifeson pours he heart into his playing. Just watch him tear through La Villa Strangiato. You get the impression he's just as moved by the music now as he was the day it was recorded. To say he plays with out emotion is to say that Dave Gilmour does the same. What blows my mind about Lifeson is that after 15 some odd studio albums with adventuresome guitar solos...he was able to record Vapour Trails without a single one....at least a melodic solo.

Easy 6
12-02-2006, 09:57 PM
True, Rush's music isn't enveloped by emotion...but you can't deny that Lifeson pours he heart into his playing. Just watch him tear through La Villa Strangiato. You get the impression he's just as moved by the music now as he was the day it was recorded. To say he plays with out emotion is to say that Dave Gilmour does the same. What blows my mind about Lifeson is that after 15 some odd studio albums with adventuresome guitar solos...he was able to record Vapour Trails without a single one....at least a melodic solo.

I guess i shouldnt have said they play without emotion, it just doesnt usually move ME emotionally.

In the same way that we may not agree on the significance of a painting.

As for Gilmour/Floyd, you will never hear me complain about their music,
for whatever reason their often lush arrangements dont lose their punch
with me.

plbrdude
12-03-2006, 10:23 PM
maybe off track, but cheeta chrome was the real deal.