PDA

View Full Version : Playstation 3 - Thoughts? I just bought one

joesomebody
12-04-2006, 04:18 PM
Was in Wal-Mart today doing some Christmas shopping and over the PA they announced that they just got a PS-3 in and it would be available in the electronics department.

I happened to be right by the electronics department, so I made an impulse buy and now own one. It's the 20GB version and it was $499.00 before tax.

Now, the question is, do any of you own one, or have thoughts about the PS3? Originally I was going to sell it on Ebay for a quick buck but they don't seem to be bringing in the dough like they were and it seems to be more worth my time and effort to keep it if they are worth it or to just take it back to Wal-Mart.

Any thoughts, suggestions, comments?

OnTheWarpath58
12-04-2006, 05:51 PM
Wow...you aren't kidding about Ebay.....

I just saw one with 2 minutes left and the high bid was $305.00.....

Valiant
12-04-2006, 06:23 PM
Was in Wal-Mart today doing some Christmas shopping and over the PA they announced that they just got a PS-3 in and it would be available in the electronics department.

I happened to be right by the electronics department, so I made an impulse buy and now own one. It's the 20GB version and it was $499.00 before tax.

Now, the question is, do any of you own one, or have thoughts about the PS3? Originally I was going to sell it on Ebay for a quick buck but they don't seem to be bringing in the dough like they were and it seems to be more worth my time and effort to keep it if they are worth it or to just take it back to Wal-Mart.

Any thoughts, suggestions, comments?

If you like games and consoles play the damn thing.. Really no point to keeping if you are not going to play it..

The other thing I would suggest, maybe put up some signs around your neighborhood that you are selling one with your phone number and the price you want.. Say 200+ more then you paid..

and see if anyone bites...

joesomebody
12-04-2006, 06:41 PM

I just saw one with 2 minutes left and the high bid was $305.00.....I did some light reading, and it looks like the second shipment of them just finished, probably where the one I bought came from.

They don't expect any more shipments until March, so I'm thinking I hold onto mine a week or two and see if the price is back up for the last minute Christmas Shoppers. You never know, and woe is me if I have to take it back to Wal-Mart as a worst case scenario.

Fish
12-04-2006, 07:00 PM
I saw some idiot driving down 435 the other day that had "I Have a PS3 for Sale! Call XXX-XXXX" written on the back window..... just an idea...

I guarantee that closer to X-Mas, some rich father is going to pay big to buy that for his kid when he can't find one anywhere else....

OnTheWarpath58
12-04-2006, 07:04 PM
I did some light reading, and it looks like the second shipment of them just finished, probably where the one I bought came from.

They don't expect any more shipments until March, so I'm thinking I hold onto mine a week or two and see if the price is back up for the last minute Christmas Shoppers. You never know, and woe is me if I have to take it back to Wal-Mart as a worst case scenario.

If you don't want to keep it, I'd hang on to it and try to cash in....I wouldn't return it to Wal-Mart.....JMO

I agree that someone will go overboard for one as Christmas nears....desperate people do desperate things....

DaFace
12-04-2006, 09:26 PM

I just saw one with 2 minutes left and the high bid was $305.00.....

That's a bit deceiving. People are getting very good at using bid snipers for that type of purchase. I just saw a PS3 with 30 seconds left and no bids with a price of $0.01. It closed with 38 bids and a price of around $700.

Check "completed listings" for a more accurate predictor of what price you might get.

Guru
12-04-2006, 10:45 PM
I did some light reading, and it looks like the second shipment of them just finished, probably where the one I bought came from.

Considering it is the scaled back non-upgradeable version, I would hold onto it until about 2 weeks before christmas then start watching ebay. As soon as the sell prices go up hit it. Keep in mind though, yours is the crappy version of the unit and it WILL NOT pull in the same money as the COMPLETE unit.

Swanman
12-05-2006, 10:08 AM
Considering it is the scaled back non-upgradeable version, I would hold onto it until about 2 weeks before christmas then start watching ebay. As soon as the sell prices go up hit it. Keep in mind though, yours is the crappy version of the unit and it WILL NOT pull in the same money as the COMPLETE unit.

The 20GB version is getting a bad rap in my opinion. The 60 GB version has a bigger hard drive, a multi-card reader, and wireless. Those extra features are not that huge of a deal. They're nice to have, but it wouldn't be a dealbreaker that would stop me from buying the 20 GB unit. Also, people have already figured out that they can swap the 20 GB hard drive for a bigger one bought from a computer store for less than $100.

With the 360, the premium version was a lot better than the core because the core did not have a hard drive or a wireless controller. With PS3, those both come standard with either unit.

icepick64
12-05-2006, 10:22 AM
I think sony cut shipments at first for exactly this reason. None around at first, but when there you actually see one you say, "hey, I might never see a ps3 again, better buy it, its going for like $10,000 on ebay."

Phobia
12-05-2006, 10:26 AM
I'll give you $200 right now.

Kclee
12-05-2006, 10:47 AM
I'll give you $200 right now.

Great! And I don't even have to touch you or anything?

Phobia
12-05-2006, 11:03 AM
Wow. I guess I worded that poorly and now the professional bathroom hand job providers are trying to take advantage of me.

Kclee
12-05-2006, 12:12 PM
Wow. I guess I worded that poorly and now the professional bathroom hand job providers are trying to take advantage of me.

Oh, so now I'm a professional? Then why did you short me on my payment last time and mutter "amature" as you walked out of the bathroom? No sir, I believe I was the one taken advantage of. :harumph:

Phobia
12-05-2006, 01:20 PM
Heh heh. Okay, the homo-phob starts to kick in when the dialogue becomes too visual.

I think we're there.

joesomebody
12-05-2006, 02:28 PM
Considering it is the scaled back non-upgradeable version, I would hold onto it until about 2 weeks before christmas then start watching ebay. As soon as the sell prices go up hit it. Keep in mind though, yours is the crappy version of the unit and it WILL NOT pull in the same money as the COMPLETE unit.What's not upgradeable about it? You can put a smoking hard drive in it very easily and it doesn't even bust the factory warranty, in fact they explain how to do it in the manual.

The 60GB comes with built in wi-fi and a multi-card reader. Card readers can be bought for less than 20 bucks and attached to the on-board USB ports, and as far as Wi-Fi the same thing goes, hook it into the ethernet port and bam... you have wi-fi.

I agree, I would have preferred to have the 60gb one to sell, since the people spending $1000+ on them aren't the type of people willing to spend time on upgrading the 20GB one. The hard drive is the last thing I'd be worried about though, as you can buy 80GB hard drives all day for around 50-60 bucks. I have no use for a card reader on my playstation since it has a hard drive (USB FLASH DRIVES FOR TRANSPORTING DATA) and wi-fi is an easy fix.

If I sold it today on ebay, it looks like $100 profit, but I'm going to hold on to it for a week or two and see what ebay looks like. I may end up keeping it, but I was hoping to spend the extra money on my Vegas Spring Break vacation :evil: