PDA

View Full Version : Best Christmas movie of all time!

Nightwish
12-05-2006, 11:09 PM
What is, in your opinion, the best Christmas movie of all time? If it's one that's been remade, let us know which version you prefer.

Poll to follow.

AZORChiefFan
12-05-2006, 11:16 PM
My favorite movie is Nightmare before Xmas. But I never considered it an xmas movie. So I voted for Christmas Story.

Nightwish
12-05-2006, 11:18 PM
My personal favorite is Miracle on 34th Street, the original b&w version with Edmund Gwenn. It's a Wonderful Life comes a close second, with Home for Christmas, starring a very young Jennifer Love Hewitt, is third, though I didn't include that one, since very few people have heard of it. The one I've always hated the most was A Christmas Story. God, that movie was annoying as hell!

Nightwish
12-05-2006, 11:20 PM
My favorite movie is Nightmare before Xmas. But I never considered it an xmas movie. So I voted for Christmas Story.
I hope you weren't offended by my previous post. I didn't see yours until after I clicked "submit reply," so it wasn't meant to be a response to you mentioning you voted for A Christmas Story.

SLAG
12-05-2006, 11:23 PM
Bad-ER Santa

Jenson71
12-05-2006, 11:53 PM
It's a Wonderful Life
Christmas Vacation

Two staples during the holiday at my home.

I also like Charlie Brown's Christmas.

I have to see White Christmas this year.

patteeu
12-06-2006, 06:20 AM
My personal favorite is Miracle on 34th Street, the original b&w version with Edmund Gwenn. It's a Wonderful Life comes a close second, with Home for Christmas, starring a very young Jennifer Love Hewitt, is third, though I didn't include that one, since very few people have heard of it.

Ditto on the original Miracle on 34th Street at #1 and It's a Wonderful Life at #2. I've never heard of Home for Christmas.

scott free
12-06-2006, 06:38 AM
Its easily Christmas Vacation for me, so many scenes ring so true. Has there ever been a better character than Cousin Eddie???

KcMizzou
12-06-2006, 07:20 AM
It's a Wonderful Life.

Gotta go with Jimmy Stewart.

kc rush
12-06-2006, 08:10 AM
The four Christmas movies/shows I must watch every year:

A Charlie Brown Christmas
Its A Wonderful Life
Christmas Vacation
A Christmas Story

If I had to choose one movie it would be Its A Wonderful Life.

Kclee
12-06-2006, 08:19 AM
Be sure to drink your Ovaltine.

DMAC
12-06-2006, 08:40 AM
Does Gremlins count?

DMAC
12-06-2006, 08:41 AM
Mine would have to be Home Alone.

(That should be on your list.)

AZORChiefFan
12-06-2006, 08:47 AM
I hope you weren't offended by my previous post. I didn't see yours until after I clicked "submit reply," so it wasn't meant to be a response to you mentioning you voted for A Christmas Story.

Not offended at all. I can see where that movie could be irritating to some. It holds a special place in my heart because it was one of a few movies my mom took me too. Of course she took me to it 3-4 days after xmas so being a kid all it did was make me wanna have xmas again.

AZORChiefFan
12-06-2006, 08:48 AM
Bad-ER Santa
Saw that movie on Xmas nite in KC at those theatres on the Plaza. What a great xmas that was.

StcChief
12-06-2006, 09:03 AM
Its easily Christmas Vacation for me, so many scenes ring so true. Has there ever been a better character than Cousin Eddie???
Ditto... Christmas Vacation is the best modern one.

Old time Miracle on 34th St.

DMAC
12-06-2006, 09:10 AM
What about the worst ever??

Gotta be Christmas With The Kranks.

CosmicPal
12-06-2006, 10:04 AM
#1 has to be It's a Wonderful Life, even though I've seen it more than the back of my own hand, and yet- I still weep at the end.

#2 A Christmas Story: Such a messed up and hilarious movie about a kid wanting a Red Rider BB gun for XMAS and his dysfunctional family.

#3 Elf: It's sure to be a future classic to be shown every year- Will Ferrell was simply outstanding in this movie.

#4 A Christmas Vacation Another totally messed up family trying to enjoy the holidays.

#5 Polar Express Errr, the animated film with Tom Hanks as the narrator of a train conductor taking kids to the North Pole to meet Santa for real. I've watched this a couple of times with my niece and nephews and have to admit, I enjoyed the film.

ct
12-06-2006, 10:13 AM
It's a Wonderful Life

Christmas Vacation a close 2nd. I actually prefer this one, but have to vote for It's a Wonderful Life as the better film. CV is just freaking hilarious!!

Bowser
12-06-2006, 11:20 AM
Eddie: You surprised to see us, Clark?

Clark: Oh, Eddie... If I woke up tomorrow with my head sewn to the carpet, I wouldn't be more surprised than I am now.

Demonpenz
12-06-2006, 11:24 AM
Die Hard

Nightwish
12-06-2006, 11:25 AM
What about the worst ever??

Gotta be Christmas With The Kranks.
I dunno, I actually rather enjoyed that movie. It was a lot better than that Ben Affleck disaster, what was it called, "Surviving Christmas?"

Bill Parcells
12-06-2006, 11:25 AM
A tie..It's a wonderful life and a Christmas Carol with Alistar Sims

Bowser
12-06-2006, 11:26 AM
I dunno, I actually rather enjoyed that movie. It was a lot better than that Ben Affleck disaster, what was it called, "Surviving Christmas?"

I thought that was "Reindeer Games".

Yes, I'm ashamed.

Nightwish
12-06-2006, 11:33 AM
I thought that was "Reindeer Games".

Yes, I'm ashamed.Oh yeah, he was in that one, too. It wasn't as bad as "Surviving Christmas," though. Charlize Theron provided some good eye candy, as did Christina Applegate in the latter, but not enough to save that movie.

Mr. Laz
12-06-2006, 12:01 PM
where's Rikki Tikki Tavi? :cuss:

http://www.profilms.com/domestic/animation/RIKKI%20TIKKI%20TAVI/brochure01.jpg

SLAG
12-06-2006, 01:44 PM
Saw that movie on Xmas nite in KC at those theatres on the Plaza. What a great xmas that was.

Its a wooden Pickle

Predarat
12-06-2006, 02:20 PM
Another vote for A Christmas Story. Gotta love it!

Dartgod
12-06-2006, 02:30 PM
You'll shoot yer eye out, kid.

Nightwish
12-06-2006, 04:15 PM
Another vote for A Christmas Story. Gotta love it!
Well, I had to include it in the poll, because although I found it annoying as hell, I understand that not everybody did. One of the things that killed that movie for me was the policy of TBS (or was it TNT) to show it back-to-back for 24 straight hours every Christmas. C'mon, some variety already!

JazzzLovr
12-06-2006, 04:17 PM

I haven't seen Christmas with the Kranks, but it was based on a book called Skipping Christmas by John Grisham (would you believe) and the book, at least, was pretty funny.

Nightwish
12-06-2006, 04:21 PM
I haven't seen Christmas with the Kranks, but it was based on a book called Skipping Christmas by John Grisham (would you believe) and the book, at least, was pretty funny.
I caught in on cable again a couple nights ago. Until then, I had never noticed that it was a John Grisham story. I was surprised. It is pretty funny, though.

Speaking of funny movies about decorating, I went to see "Deck the Halls," starring Danny Devito and Matthew Broderick the other night. It was pretty good, and I suspect that it was inspired, at least in part, by that guy who was in the news last year for doing up his house and synchronizing the light display to the music of TSO.

Believer
12-06-2006, 04:56 PM
I have to go with "Its a Wonderful Life". All the terrific characters. And Mr Potter is such a perfect villian.
"..the smartest one in the crowd, mind you"

Deberg_1990
12-06-2006, 05:05 PM
Bad Santa. Hilarious and offensive.....

Yet also has a sweet side....

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-06-2006, 08:01 PM
This is not a debate. It's Die Hard. It's also the most influential movie in its genre in the last quarter century.

Nightwish
12-06-2006, 08:17 PM
This is not a debate. It's Die Hard. It's also the most influential movie in its genre in the last quarter century.Hmm, I never really thought of that as a Christmas movie, but I guess I can see how it could be. On that note, I also can't believe I forgot to include Home Alone!

KcMizzou
12-06-2006, 08:55 PM
This is not a debate. It's Die Hard. It's also the most influential movie in its genre in the last quarter century.Great movie, one of my favorites, but I wouldnt consider it a "christmas movie".

cdcox
12-06-2006, 09:11 PM
"...we serve hard drinks in here for men who want to get drunk fast..."

Yes, yes, it is a wonderful life.

Guru
12-06-2006, 10:16 PM
Bah humbug!!!!

PastorMikH
12-06-2006, 11:11 PM
#5 Polar Express Errr, the animated film with Tom Hanks as the narrator of a train conductor taking kids to the North Pole to meet Santa for real. I've watched this a couple of times with my niece and nephews and have to admit, I enjoyed the film.

Heard a programming commercial refering to that one as a "Classic". I thought to myself it's a good movie and the kids really loved it, but it really takes at least 3 years before something can be called a Classic.

Miles
12-06-2006, 11:54 PM
Great movie, one of my favorites, but I wouldnt consider it a "christmas movie".

Now I have a machine gun. Ho ho ho.

Not Christmas enough for you?

luv
12-07-2006, 10:47 AM
Somehow, I knew A Christmas Story would be winning this thing. However, I voted for It's a Wonderful Life. I love old movies.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-07-2006, 11:37 AM
Great movie, one of my favorites, but I wouldnt consider it a "christmas movie".

Why not? The guy visits his estranged wife and kids for Christmas, and hijinks ensue....sounds like a formula for an X-mas movie to me :D

(I always find a way to show clips of this in the classes I teach)

Fishpicker
12-07-2006, 05:28 PM
A Christmas Story. has anyone else noticed Ralphie looks like Karl Rove?

old_geezer
12-07-2006, 08:00 PM

I actually voted for Christmas Vacation before my mind fully engaged. If I could change it I would definitely vote for A Christmas Carol (the origional with Alastair Sim :loser: ). Nobody has ever come close to his portrayal of Scrooge.

Bowser
12-09-2006, 10:04 AM
We should all have our collectives asses kicked for not even mentioning The Ref. Easily one of the most underrated movies ever.

JonesCrusher
12-09-2006, 12:22 PM
a Christmas Carol with Alistar Sims

Awesome flick, anyone who has not watched this version should check it out

mcan
12-10-2006, 05:31 AM
This is a tough poll.

My favorite, by far, is Christmas Vacation. LOVE that movie.

But the best film is "It's A Wonderful Life" so that has to get the vote.

redbrian
12-11-2006, 10:13 PM

Alistar Sims as Scrouge is a classic, it used to come on the week after thanksgiving, a must watch back in the day.

Christmass Story and Vacation are modern day classics, all three must watch to kick off the season right.

Believer
12-12-2006, 09:33 PM
without a doubt, I just saw it.

The Nativity Story is brilliant

Deberg_1990
12-12-2006, 09:36 PM
Silent Night Deadly Night or Black Christmas

Jenson71
12-12-2006, 09:58 PM
without a doubt, I just saw it.

The Nativity Story is brilliant

Hey give us some details. How factual is it?

Count Zarth
12-12-2006, 10:04 PM
Bad Santa, easily.

Believer
12-13-2006, 04:42 PM
Hey give us some details. How factual is it?
very true to the Gospels. I liked it too because unlike other Hollywood portrayals, it was very clear that Mary, Joseph, they were all Jews. It wasnt a sanitized, blond hair, blue eyed production.
It is a terrific bookend to The Passion of the Christ.

Jenson71
12-13-2006, 05:18 PM
very true to the Gospels. I liked it too because unlike other Hollywood portrayals, it was very clear that Mary, Joseph, they were all Jews. It wasnt a sanitized, blond hair, blue eyed production.
It is a terrific bookend to The Passion of the Christ.

I'm guessing they combine Matthew and Luke. Both shepherds and magi? Do they go to Egypt or get Jesus circumsized?

I really want to see this, because, well I like the Bible stories, especially on film. I saw The Passion of the Christ in theaters, but need to see it again.

Believer
12-13-2006, 05:48 PM
I'm guessing they combine Matthew and Luke. Both shepherds and magi? Do they go to Egypt or get Jesus circumsized?

I really want to see this, because, well I like the Bible stories, especially on film. I saw The Passion of the Christ in theaters, but need to see it again.

yes, they combined them. there was a lot on Zachariah and Elizabeth and the birth of John the Baptist. it ends at the point Joseph is given the vision to go to Egypt.
its all very moving.

the Passion of the Christ is amazing.

Jenson71
12-13-2006, 06:51 PM
yes, they combined them. there was a lot on Zachariah and Elizabeth and the birth of John the Baptist. it ends at the point Joseph is given the vision to go to Egypt.
its all very moving.

the Passion of the Christ is amazing.

In the Passion, I can't remember - does Jesus carry his own cross or does Simon carry it?

Also, the Passion I remember had a lot of music and slow editing. I remember my priest saying - "when Jesus died, there was no music." :D

I really like "The Last Temptation of Christ"? What are your thoughts on this?

Believer
12-13-2006, 08:45 PM
to be honest, when the Last Temptation was out, i wasnt interested. But the few minutes I saw a few months ago, I really didnt care for. It was clear it was just a story, and not based on scripture, just on the words and tone of what he was saying. So i left it.

QuikSsurfer
12-13-2006, 09:21 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/c/c7/Christmastoycover.jpg/200px-Christmastoycover.jpg

one of my all time favorites
loved that lil cat toy, mew.

Believer
12-13-2006, 10:20 PM
In the Passion, I can't remember - does Jesus carry his own cross or does Simon carry it?

Also, the Passion I remember had a lot of music and slow editing. I remember my priest saying - "when Jesus died, there was no music." :D

I really like "The Last Temptation of Christ"? What are your thoughts on this?

In the Passion, Jesus is helped along the way as the soldiers order a Jewish man to help Jesus. Is that Simon?

KevB
12-13-2006, 10:39 PM
This is a tough poll.

My favorite, by far, is Christmas Vacation. LOVE that movie.

But the best film is "It's A Wonderful Life" so that has to get the vote.

Same thoughts from me. Christmas Vacation and Polar Express are the two "must watch" movies every Christmas at this point. Christmas Vacation is as funny (or funnier) each time I watch it.

"Hey Griswold, where do you think you're going to put that tree?"
"Why don't you bend over and I'll show ya"
"How dare you talk to me that way"
"I wasn't talking to you (with guy's wife, Elaine from Seinfeld, standing next to him)"

"Eddie, can I get you some more egg nog? Drive you out to the middle of nowhere...leave you for dead?"

"Mornin' Clark.....sh!##ers full!"

Nightwish
12-13-2006, 10:42 PM
"Mornin' Clark.....sh!##ers full!"
Best line in the movie! :thumb:

Jenson71
12-13-2006, 10:51 PM
In the Passion, Jesus is helped along the way as the soldiers order a Jewish man to help Jesus. Is that Simon?

Yes, that's Simon.

And "The Last Temptation of Christ" is a great film. It is not based on scripture, but it is challenging to people who don't think of Jesus as having that human side.