PDA

View Full Version : Medieval II: Total War

TrickyNicky
12-07-2006, 04:12 PM
Anyone else playing this? My thoughts:

Amazing game. I'm about 50 turns in on a Danish campaign. Had my first Crusade; took over Jerusalem by squashing the 600 Eqyptians who were garrisoned there with a force of about 1100. Up next, the muslim city of Gaza looks ripe.

The overview campaign is surprisingly interesting as you can move about your spies and assassins to take out cities and people covertly. Hopefully my Cardinal will get elected pope sooner or later ;)

It looks great. I have a lower-to-mid range system and it looks absolutely gorgeous up close and still decent from all the way zoomed out in battle. The RTS battles are still good, although if you've played a Total War game before there isn't much of anything new, except for updated graphics, but thats fine with me.

Halfcan
12-07-2006, 04:14 PM
wow

Mr. Laz
12-07-2006, 04:51 PM
cool ... keep us updated on whether it's a buy or not.

Fishpicker
12-07-2006, 06:22 PM
Anyone else playing this? My thoughts:

Amazing game. I'm about 50 turns in on a Danish campaign. Had my first Crusade; took over Jerusalem by squashing the 600 Eqyptians who were garrisoned there with a force of about 1100. Up next, the muslim city of Gaza looks ripe.

The overview campaign is surprisingly interesting as you can move about your spies and assassins to take out cities and people covertly. Hopefully my Cardinal will get elected pope sooner or later ;)

It looks great. I have a lower-to-mid range system and it looks absolutely gorgeous up close and still decent from all the way zoomed out in battle. The RTS battles are still good, although if you've played a Total War game before there isn't much of anything new, except for updated graphics, but thats fine with me.

I'm enjoying this game so far. the graphics are superb and the animations give the impression of a real battle instead of just wiggling sprites. The rank & file units have a good amount of variation (in their appearance) but also have a uniform motif. I'm tempted to watch individual units fight with the camera close-up instead of managing the whole battlefield.

the on-field battle mechanics are intuitive even though there are a few annoying bugs. All the factions can field well-rounded armies and there is balance amongst the factions in that respect. All the factions have unique units to field alonside the common army core.

ie, Germany/Holy Roman Empire has Gothic knights and Zweihanders while Spain has Conquistadors and Terico pikemen.

This is slightly problematic in that several (but not many) unique units operate outside the paper-rock-scissor scheme of the game. For instance, the papal guard and swiss guard under the pope are Uber-troops that can fend off infantry, pikes, knights, mounted knights, and Elephants equally well.

The campaign is complex and time intensive but, still fun. The mercantile aspect is alot of fun. each city can recruit merchants to be sent out across the world map. The merchants can be placed on resource icons that are throughout the world map. This will add a stream of income to the coffers but you can also perform a hostile takeover on a competing merchant to seize his assets (& take over the resource spot)

This game isnt a must-buy unless you are a fan of the TW series. If you haven't played the TW series before, this is the game to start with since it is the best looking.

TrickyNicky
12-07-2006, 10:51 PM
Update: Well, I didn't get a chance to take out Gaza. My force that was occupying Jerusalem was forced out by riots and a citizens revolt. Apparently they don't like Catholic churches being built and I shut down their horse races. After that, the upkeep costs of my large army finally wiped out my treasury and I sank deep into debt and had to give up regions and disband military units just to survive. 20 turns later and my King is still traveling overland (Navy was destroyed) trying to make it back to my capital, being harried by opposing armies along the way. Eventually I had to give up all my spoils from the crusade (14,000 florins!) and a region in Russia to ensure my King's safe journey. Lousy Hungarians...

Pants
12-10-2006, 04:23 PM
I'm 179 turns into the campaign playing as England. I've been excomunicated ever since I started invading France, do I give a sh*t? No. Nobody can stop me (except maybe the mongols, but they're my allies right now). I'm fighting Spain, Denmark and Sicily all at the same time. At this point, France has been taken out by me and Russia has been taken out by the Mongols. Holy Roman Empire was taken out by Sicily and their allies.

Spain is next on my list, once I take over them, the whole Western Europe will be mine. Right now, Caen is my powerhouse castle, there is nothing more left to upgrade (the only option is to convert to city). I hope more will become available later because otherwise, it'll be kind of boring.

As far as gameplay goes, I wouldn't neccessarily say it's better than Rome: Total War, but there's definitely more to do. It seems like it's not even worth trying to assasinate targets. I managed 2 successful missions so far (out of like 60) and even if the mission is a success and the assassin's traits increase, they can now decrease with every failed assassination attempt. So building up a good assassin is pretty much impossible in my experience. I even have a Thieves' Guild in Paris, it doesn't seem to help much. Overall, I'd give it a 9.3/10.

P.S. FEAR the Sherwood Archers!

TrickyNicky
12-11-2006, 01:26 PM
Turn 100 update: I'm slowly taking over the HRE and Sicily because I had two successful crusades on both to establish footholds in their territory. My Allies England and Spain have consolidated the French and the Moors, respectively, while my recently broken alliance with Poland means the Russians are beating at their borders. The Byzantines and Hungarians have been pretty quiet dealing with the Turks, Egyptians, and Mongols.

My master assassin, Karl the Killer (His real title, lol) had three kings notched on his belt before he passed away due to old age. Pretty useful for not wanting a good commander in a castle before you siege it.

This guy however: Beat the grand campaign on Very Hard settings in only 58 turns as the French. Unbelievable.

http://total-war-campaign-chronicles.blogspot.com/

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-11-2006, 05:58 PM
I loved the first one. Completed campaigns as the Byzantines, English, and Russians. I almost forgot they were releasing the second one.

Nicky,

are you a fan of the slash and burn tactics? I find they are quite effective, especially when you know that certain provinces are going to revolt due to lack of garrison size

TrickyNicky
12-11-2006, 06:05 PM
I assume you mean exterminating populations?

It depends on if the city is the same religion as mine, or if I want to increase the Dread/Chivalry of the commander I just took a city with. I usually choose to sack cities rather than Occupy or Exterminate.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-11-2006, 07:37 PM
I assume you mean exterminating populations?

It depends on if the city is the same religion as mine, or if I want to increase the Dread/Chivalry of the commander I just took a city with. I usually choose to sack cities rather than Occupy or Exterminate.

I actually meant to go in, destroy the army, then leave the province, wait for some more people to take over, and keep doing that until the usefulness of the province has been completely eliminated due to all the collateral damage.

TrickyNicky
12-11-2006, 07:57 PM
Hmm, I've never thought to try that. Sounds like fun.

GoTrav
12-12-2006, 11:37 AM
Sounds like fun. I've never been very good at RTS'. How hard is the game to get use to?

TrickyNicky
12-12-2006, 02:11 PM
It's scalable, so even if you're bad at the start, you can roll back the difficulty and get your feet wet. The most important "tactic" in this game is Flanking and Defending the flank. If you become good at both and you have a great chance at winning any battle, even when the odds are stacked against you.

CtrlAltDel
12-12-2006, 03:56 PM
I'm downloading the demo right now. I just downloaded a demo of Rome and fought the tutorial and the battle of trebia. I'll probably have to buy both of these now.

Fishpicker
12-14-2006, 01:33 AM
As far as gameplay goes, I wouldn't neccessarily say it's better than Rome: Total War, but there's definitely more to do. It seems like it's not even worth trying to assasinate targets. I managed 2 successful missions so far (out of like 60) and even if the mission is a success and the assassin's traits increase, they can now decrease with every failed assassination attempt. So building up a good assassin is pretty much impossible in my experience. I even have a Thieves' Guild in Paris, it doesn't seem to help much. Overall, I'd give it a 9.3/10.

P.S. FEAR the Sherwood Archers!

You can build up the assassins by doing sabotage missions in cities and castles. (you need a spy in the city/castle too) I usually dont start doing hits until the assassin has 6 or 7 ranks.

Is it just me or are the missle units for England a bit underpowered? The sherwood archers have a decent attack rating but, they are small expensive units. The longbowmen dont perform any better than most archers and they dont have any additional range. The longbows should hit harder at a greater distance.

Pants
12-14-2006, 01:57 PM
You can build up the assassins by doing sabotage missions in cities and castles. (you need a spy in the city/castle too) I usually dont start doing hits until the assassin has 6 or 7 ranks.

Is it just me or are the missle units for England a bit underpowered? The sherwood archers have a decent attack rating but, they are small expensive units. The longbowmen dont perform any better than most archers and they dont have any additional range. The longbows should hit harder at a greater distance.

Retinue Longbowmen are the best range units in my experience. Not only does their range attack hurt like a MOTHER****ER, they can also stand their ground against heavy infantry and still come out victorious. Sherwood Archers have 2 hit points (the only other unit that has 2HP in this game is the General's bodyguard). I used them from time to time, but since there's only 30 of them, they aren't all that. If it was 60 of them per unit, they would be the best ranged by FAR. Better than any gunpowder units.

Mr. Laz
02-14-2007, 05:33 PM
what's the best way to make money?

TrickyNicky
02-14-2007, 05:53 PM
add_money 10000 in console?

Legitimately conquest, taxation, and increasing farmed goods through building progression are the only ways.

Pants
02-14-2007, 10:14 PM
what's the best way to make money?

Sacking cities. Some cities (like Milan, Venice, etc) can yield as much as 40-50K in later periods.

Mr. Laz
02-14-2007, 10:18 PM
add_money 10000 in console?

Legitimately conquest, taxation, and increasing farmed goods through building progression are the only ways.
how about building merchants and setting them on all the trade goods scattered around?

TrickyNicky
02-14-2007, 10:55 PM
Yeah, but you have to get your Merch's out early and build them up. Even then they are still subject to other traders taking shots at them at every opportunity.

Pants
02-14-2007, 11:06 PM
Also, have as many port cities as possibles. Max out the port upgrades, those are your reliable cashcows. If you're having toruble making money, go take some cities, convert castles that have water access to cities as well.

cookster50
02-16-2007, 01:19 PM
No one else is running into performance issues later in the game? I have a pretty good rig, but around turn 50 the game starts to bog down and the larger battles are brutal to try to play. Perhaps that is a graphics card problem?

As far as merchants, the stinking 4-20 florins you get a turn means you would need a whole army of them to get enough to make it worth your while. I don't know if merchants even pay for themselves in the long run. And I agree about the assassions, seem pretty useless.

Fishpicker
02-16-2007, 02:52 PM
No one else is running into performance issues later in the game? I have a pretty good rig, but around turn 50 the game starts to bog down and the larger battles are brutal to try to play. Perhaps that is a graphics card problem?

As far as merchants, the stinking 4-20 florins you get a turn means you would need a whole army of them to get enough to make it worth your while. I don't know if merchants even pay for themselves in the long run. And I agree about the assassions, seem pretty useless.

all the goods fluctuate in value. something that is 20 florins now might be 60 florins next turn. the level of the merchant will increase profitablity also. keeping merchants close together (within walking distance) will help them earn more too. a high level merchant can make as much as 200 florins/turn from amber, gold, ivory, slaves, and occasionally spices.

10 merchants on various hotspots can yield 1200-1800 per turn. its not a bad chunk of change.

of course, once the merchants get to level 8 or above you can use them to jack all the other merchants that come near.

merchants and assassins work fine but you have to build them up first.

Mr. Laz
02-16-2007, 03:45 PM
Also, have as many port cities as possibles. Max out the port upgrades, those are your reliable cashcows. If you're having toruble making money, go take some cities, convert castles that have water access to cities as well.
do ports automatically make money?

or do you have to create port trade routes or something.

same for merchants ... all you have to do is park him on the resource or do you have tell him to go back and forth trading stuff?

Pants
02-16-2007, 05:54 PM
do ports automatically make money?

or do you have to create port trade routes or something.

same for merchants ... all you have to do is park him on the resource or do you have tell him to go back and forth trading stuff?

It's all automatic. You can increase the trade routes by upgrading the structure (Docklands, Shipyard, etc).

As far as merchants go, they just stay on the resource until they die or until you move them to a different spot.

KC Jones
02-16-2007, 06:57 PM
This game is on my shelf... waiting for me to finish my Rome:Total War campaign.

:shake:

Mr. Laz
02-16-2007, 08:17 PM
It's all automatic. You can increase the trade routes by upgrading the structure (Docklands, Shipyard, etc).

As far as merchants go, they just stay on the resource until they die or until you move them to a different spot.
thank ...... you da man.

btw - they Ballista shot radius is freakin huge... it's like they shoot 10 miles or something. LMAO

but what's the deal with only having 15 shots or something?

El Jefe
02-16-2007, 10:35 PM
Black Ice, RTS are not really hard to ge used to. I am avid RTS fan I have and play Warcraft I,II,III and WOW, I really love all the Age of Empires I am currently on the 3rd AOE, I am really looking forward to C&C 2 that looks sweet.

cookster50
02-17-2007, 07:05 AM
So none of you experience performance issues later in the game?

Mr. Laz
02-17-2007, 10:30 AM
So none of you experience performance issues later in the game?
i'm not to the later part of the game yet ... but i haven't had any problems yet.

you might wanna turn off "show IA moves" though. i would think that would help quite a bit.

Mr. Laz
02-19-2007, 11:03 AM
how to keep other people from killing off your merchants ......... and how do you kill theirs?

also i have diplomats wandering around my country side ...... anyway to kill them?

what building do you have to make to build a spy?

dirk digler
02-19-2007, 11:22 AM
This game sounds interesting. Is this like Age of Empires?

TrickyNicky
02-19-2007, 12:27 PM
how to keep other people from killing off your merchants ......... and how do you kill theirs?

also i have diplomats wandering around my country side ...... anyway to kill them?

what building do you have to make to build a spy?
Assassin's kill every other unit (Generals, Family, Princesses, Priests, Cardinals, even the pope, etc..) in the game if they are built up enough.

Merchants can "take over" the holdings of any other merchant if they are built up enough, however if your merchant fails at the take over, he is ruined and loses all his fortunes.

The Inn's are what produce the Spys and Assassins, and if you produce more espionage units than any other, the Spy Guild will establish a headquarters in one of your cities. It helps to produce units with 1-5 levels straight out of the box (it seems to be random) and improves the level advancement.

Pants
02-19-2007, 02:43 PM
...and if you produce more espionage units than any other, the Spy Guild will establish a headquarters in one of your cities...

Are you talking about the Thieve's Guild?

TrickyNicky
02-19-2007, 02:47 PM
Are you talking about the Thieve's Guild?
Thats what I meant, yeah.

Pants
02-19-2007, 02:49 PM
Thats what I meant, yeah.

In that case, I don't think it's necessarily true, since I never bother with spies/assassins and some of my cities get the Thieve's Guild. Maybe that's just the conquered ones, though.

Mr. Laz
02-19-2007, 05:35 PM
Assassin's kill every other unit (Generals, Family, Princesses, Priests, Cardinals, even the pope, etc..) in the game if they are built up enough.

Merchants can "take over" the holdings of any other merchant if they are built up enough, however if your merchant fails at the take over, he is ruined and loses all his fortunes.

The Inn's are what produce the Spys and Assassins, and if you produce more espionage units than any other, the Spy Guild will establish a headquarters in one of your cities. It helps to produce units with 1-5 levels straight out of the box (it seems to be random) and improves the level advancement.

thanks ... i knew i had built an assassin before but i didn't remember how.

Mr. Laz
02-19-2007, 07:31 PM
you know what ....... **** THIS GAME!!!!

going to war with a huge full army of my best ...... turn before i attack and my best,most experienced general turns traitor and takes all my best fighters with him.

WTF!!!!!!!!!

:cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss:

TrickyNicky
02-19-2007, 09:44 PM
Honestly, this game was shipped without many of the kinks worked out. Two-handers are still majorly gimped, and the A.I. (campaign level) still make stupid decisions. I definitely recommend downloading some of the player made mods that address these issues.

cookster50
02-28-2007, 02:03 PM
I finally got a new graphics card, my performance issues are now gone. So, if your graphics card sucks, this game may bog down after 50-60 turns.

Spicy McHaggis
02-28-2007, 04:58 PM
I've been replaying Rome: Total War for the last couple weeks and was looking at getting Medieval II. It sounds like a good buy, I'll have to get it after I pay rent.

'Hamas' Jenkins
05-15-2007, 05:49 AM
So, I finally bought Medieval II. I'm 125 turns into a campaign with the English. Europe from Portugal to Bucharest is under my control, and I've made sizeable inroads into large portions of North Africa. I've made my first inroads into Russia, but i'm loathe to invade further into the Czarist landscape until I deal with the Mongolians. We are about to butt heads on the eastern edge of what was once Poland. Neither one of us has attacked quite yet, but their reticence has allowed me to assemble a Hitlerian triple pincer army formation.

Soon my King will swipe down from the north, trapping the bastards in Kiev when army groups center and south complete the pinch.

My Retinue Longbowmen and Sherwood archers will be the key to my success along with heavy use of cannon artillery and dismounted English Knights.

I have four Elite assassins and a large portion of the College of Cardinals under my control, including the pope. After I killed 5 other popes, I was finally able to get one of my men elected....that and the fact that I had 6 of the thirteen votes. In 5 turns I will hopefully own Constantinople, which will serve (along with Venice, Stockholm, and London) as my economic powerhouses.

Blood alone moves the wheels of history!!

Ultra Peanut
05-15-2007, 06:25 AM
FOR THE EMPIRE

Redrum_69
05-15-2007, 11:55 AM
I'm not sure if any of you have have played Warrior of Rome 1 or 2 for the Sega Genesis. I have yet to find a better strategy game.

At the start, you are on the opposite side of the map, and its you with 5-10 peons. THese peons are builders and slowly build structures like Cosileums, fortifications, towers, ship yards, etc. The more they build, the higher their individual building stats go up and the faster they build structures. Each peon starts out as a "smurf" or a blue character. But if you place them in a tower out near an enemy structure, their archery skills will rise. You can then get additional units and build up a massive army. When the enemy retreats from their attacks you can chase down said enemy and build up warfare tactics and stamina on your players. They can reach Centurion status and become experts on foot or on calvary just by sending troops out on recon missions to safely build up their speed.

DOnt get me started talking about the naval warfare. When you build your ships, their rate of fire is slow and may connect with every two out of ten shots. Most cannonfire is off target or undershot or overshot. But if you park your ship near an uninhabited enemy structure, after 5-10 minutes their firepower and accuracy increases dramatically.

The object is to clear the enemy, but its alot easier building up your army and keeping them alive to build centurions.

Are there any strategy games out there that sound similar to this game?

'Hamas' Jenkins
05-15-2007, 03:06 PM
I'm not sure if any of you have have played Warrior of Rome 1 or 2 for the Sega Genesis. I have yet to find a better strategy game.

At the start, you are on the opposite side of the map, and its you with 5-10 peons. THese peons are builders and slowly build structures like Cosileums, fortifications, towers, ship yards, etc. The more they build, the higher their individual building stats go up and the faster they build structures. Each peon starts out as a "smurf" or a blue character. But if you place them in a tower out near an enemy structure, their archery skills will rise. You can then get additional units and build up a massive army. When the enemy retreats from their attacks you can chase down said enemy and build up warfare tactics and stamina on your players. They can reach Centurion status and become experts on foot or on calvary just by sending troops out on recon missions to safely build up their speed.

DOnt get me started talking about the naval warfare. When you build your ships, their rate of fire is slow and may connect with every two out of ten shots. Most cannonfire is off target or undershot or overshot. But if you park your ship near an uninhabited enemy structure, after 5-10 minutes their firepower and accuracy increases dramatically.

The object is to clear the enemy, but its alot easier building up your army and keeping them alive to build centurions.

Are there any strategy games out there that sound similar to this game?

Try Stronghold, or "Rise of Nations". You can buy either fairly cheap, and you won't need a very powerful computer to run either.

'Hamas' Jenkins
05-15-2007, 03:10 PM
Oh, and the goddamned Mongoloids attacked me with 8 full stacks of armies, nearly all cavalry and foot archers.

However, I was able to blunt their push in the Ukraine with half the number of men.

My greatest moment was a defeat, wherein an army of 900 Mongolians assaulted my castle. The castle had stone fortifications but no Ballista or Cannon Towers. With 57 longbowmen, 25 Retinue LBM, 4 Sherwood and 23 Yeoman archers, I killed over 400 Mongolians. I used flaming arrows to incinerate their battering ram and pick off the sitting ducks in their first charge, and after they broke through the castle gate, I rained death upon them until my men physically ran out of arrows, at which point, they unsheathed their blades and fought to a glorious and noble death.

I salute you, for your sacrifice turned the tide of the Mongolian Campaign of 1328.

Fishpicker
05-15-2007, 04:53 PM
has anyone else tried any mods? I'm still playing the default campaign game but I customized most of the armies with shield packs. I also downloaded a mod called knights & knaves. it changes armor types for all the peons, spearmen, and militias. most of the cheaper units have new armor (scale mail, brigandine, studded brigandine, padded armor, leather amror) most units look 100% better.

http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/7591/11medievalqy7.png

this is Venice (top) and H.R.E. the armor designs are way better than the default and the heraldry on shields/armor/barding is at least closer to authentic.

'Hamas' Jenkins
05-16-2007, 05:36 PM
So I destroyed the Mongolian Horde, and have eliminated all other Catholic factions, meaning that no matter what happens, I'll always have a puppet pope. I took Jerusalem in a Crusade lead by my King who has maxed out Command, Authority, and Dread ratings, but then the Timurids invaded. They have War Elephants...f*cking war elephants. The thought of my heavily armed knights trying to slug it out in the desert with a bunch of elephant jockeys is not a pretty sight. Fortunately, I have a strong enough stash of Sherwood Archers and Retinue Longbowmen to cut down most of the charges by the Muslim barbarians.

Only England (me), Turkey, Egypt, and the Timurids remain. I even successfully invaded Russia.

I am a Medieval GAWD!!

Fishpicker
05-16-2007, 06:01 PM
taking on elephants without pikes is tough, gunpowder can help. other than that, the timurids arent so tough.

Fishpicker
05-18-2007, 04:49 AM
preview of the Kingdoms expansion for Medieval II.
4 new campaigns, 13 new factions (hopefully swiss), 150 new units & Hero units

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iNCknk1L3A8"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iNCknk1L3A8" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

'Hamas' Jenkins
05-18-2007, 07:00 AM
The Timurids' elite armies are cutting my best troops to pieces on the battlefield. Even when I adopt defensive positions, my guys get overrun despite massive volleys of flaming arrows and gunpowder, and their cavalry is un-f*cking-stoppable.

I hit one unit with engagement of footsoldiers and then blasted it from both flanks with a cavalry charge and the f*ckers still slaughtered all my guys :(

Fishpicker
05-18-2007, 10:40 AM
hire some mercenary pikemen

Redrum_69
05-18-2007, 10:45 AM
Rome: Total War Gold Edition looks like a similar game.

I'm not sure which one to buy.

Has anyone played the Rome: Total War game and whats it like?

'Hamas' Jenkins
05-18-2007, 10:50 AM
hire some mercenary pikemen

What areas are they most prevalent in??

Fishpicker
05-18-2007, 10:51 AM
same game, pretty much... the graphics are updated in Medieval. it really depends on which era you want to wage war in.

Ultra Peanut
05-18-2007, 10:54 AM
Rome: Total War is great fun.

Stronghold Deluxe and Stronghold: Crusader are both on Gametap, by the way. It's 99 frickin' cents for the first month, so the worst case scenario is you don't like Stronghold and find something else to play to make it worth the massive monetary sacrifice.

Fishpicker
05-18-2007, 10:54 AM
What areas are they most prevalent in??

france (flemish pike, swiss pike), HRE (landskencht pike) Portugal (Adventurine) Spain (terrico) and Scotland (highland, noble)

Redrum_69
05-18-2007, 12:58 PM
I think the last RTS played was Empire Earth. Maybe Warcraft 2 and 3.

I prefer the Rome era RTS, but the C&C: Tiberium Wars for the 360 looked pretty damn fun.

Freaking MMORPGs like EQ, WOW, DAOC, and Shadowbane caused me to miss alot of great PC games and I'm just starting to buy them. I guess one good thing about that is that the price is pretty cheap on alot of the games I missed.

Anyways, I think I'm going to go out and buy those games today.

Is it possible to host a game and have others join to challenge against?

Someone should set up a Chiefsplanet game...maybe set up a vent server and let the games begin

'Hamas' Jenkins
05-18-2007, 05:18 PM
I think the last RTS played was Empire Earth. Maybe Warcraft 2 and 3.

I prefer the Rome era RTS, but the C&C: Tiberium Wars for the 360 looked pretty damn fun.

Freaking MMORPGs like EQ, WOW, DAOC, and Shadowbane caused me to miss alot of great PC games and I'm just starting to buy them. I guess one good thing about that is that the price is pretty cheap on alot of the games I missed.

Anyways, I think I'm going to go out and buy those games today.

Is it possible to host a game and have others join to challenge against?

Someone should set up a Chiefsplanet game...maybe set up a vent server and let the games begin

If you think that a guy whose tag is 'Hamas' wouldn't beg the Imams to launch a jihad on your ass...well, you'd be mistaken.

Redrum_69
05-20-2007, 03:43 PM
If you think that a guy whose tag is 'Hamas' wouldn't beg the Imams to launch a jihad on your ass...well, you'd be mistaken.

This sounds like a challenge.

Cochise
05-20-2007, 10:12 PM
I hate whoever brought this game into my consciousness, it's eating my soul.

Redrum_69
05-21-2007, 09:16 AM
Well, I bought Medieval 2 yesterday. So far its ok, I didnt realize it was turn-based RTS. I was expecting it to be more of a command and conquer/warcraft/starcraft type of RTS. I started the English campaign and played a few turns.

Mr. Laz
05-21-2007, 11:08 AM
Well, I bought Medieval 2 yesterday. So far its ok, I didnt realize it was turn-based RTS. I was expecting it to be more of a command and conquer/warcraft/starcraft type of RTS. I started the English campaign and played a few turns.
it's really pretty lame until you get deeper into it and see all the elements of it.

i still hate the "turn traitor" aspect :cuss:

Redrum_69
05-21-2007, 11:34 AM
I thought it was pretty cool attacking neutral nearby towns with some cavalry, and archers. It was in the third turn under the English campaign and I just wanted to see what the fighting was like. I started my archers laying waste lobbing arrows into the town square. I sent my cavalry units around the left side of the town, waiting for the units to come out and clear my archers. The AI was pretty damn smart though as they were also luring me in to town. After a few minutes of losing one or two archers here and there, I decided to see what kind of AI I was playing against. LOL I sent my calvary into town. I entered the main square and the camera angle I was using didnt show me the other units waiting for me behind the buildings. They quickly closed the gap and my general/captain died a horrific death in their town square. After that I just ran the 10 or so archers left into the square.

Cochise
05-21-2007, 03:13 PM
I didn't understand the implications the first time through, and (playing as England) almost right away I took Ireland, and attacked Scotland. Eventually I was able to destroy the Scot faction but I was excommunicated, and found myself using every resource just to hold off all the nations I was suddenly at war with because of all the alliances.

So I started the grand campaign over, this time I took over all neighboring rebel cities but I haven't attacked another faction yet. Instead of building armies beyond what I need to defend each city I have been dumping all my money into improvements, building anything that will generate commerce or unit improvements.

I wonder if this will work, staying within my borders at first to try to build a technological advantage before moving into the expansion stage. I guess it could, or I could start to expand and find out that some other faction has already taken over half the world.

Also, does anyone know if you can convert your faction to another religion? His holiness is really pissing me off.

Fishpicker
05-21-2007, 05:28 PM
you cant convert but you can send your priests into muslim/orthodox regions and do conversions. after a while he might get to be a cardinal and then vote for whoever becomes pope next. having one of your guys as pope is useful because you can sometimes get the pope to layoff by giving him tribute. If you dont have any money, give him a territory. I gave the pope a Milanese territory after he scolded me for attacking them. then the Milanese tried to take it back. Then Milan got excommunicated so I could go ahead and get more.

I think the best approach is to expand financially then expand militarily. you dont need the latest technology, you just need the $ for producing a lot of units.

I like factions that have access to the Mediteranean Sea. Hurry to conquer southern italy, and the islands Malta and Rhodes. then you can hop over to Africa. conquer the 3 African territories in the SW corner of the map. at the very bottom of the map. there is a gold resource. you can build up merchants very quickly there. once they have 10 ranks they can make some serious cash on nearly everything. I usually send them to the mid east and and the Eastern block after that. I once had 3 merchants that were lvl 10 and made about 6k every turn on some average commodities. (grouped together)

Pants
05-21-2007, 07:07 PM
I didn't understand the implications the first time through, and (playing as England) almost right away I took Ireland, and attacked Scotland. Eventually I was able to destroy the Scot faction but I was excommunicated, and found myself using every resource just to hold off all the nations I was suddenly at war with because of all the alliances.

So I started the grand campaign over, this time I took over all neighboring rebel cities but I haven't attacked another faction yet. Instead of building armies beyond what I need to defend each city I have been dumping all my money into improvements, building anything that will generate commerce or unit improvements.

I wonder if this will work, staying within my borders at first to try to build a technological advantage before moving into the expansion stage. I guess it could, or I could start to expand and find out that some other faction has already taken over half the world.

Also, does anyone know if you can convert your faction to another religion? His holiness is really pissing me off.

You need to expand, that's how you win the campaign. Plus, you will see a massive increase in revenue as you hold more cities. The best ones are with ports, they will make you a shit ton. When I played as England I took out the Scotts and the Ireland and than moved into France. Once you take Caen and build it up, no one will be able to even touch the British Isles. That's why England is probably the easiest faction to play. Your HQ is safe and sound and pretty much all the cities have port capabilities. Try playing as HRE, you'll be pounded from all sides and you're pretty much land-locked. As far as the army units, HRE is my absolute favorite, but starting out can be a major pain.