PDA

View Full Version : Space Shuttle launch in about 8 minutes on NASA channel..and cable news

mlyonsd
12-09-2006, 07:39 PM
Night launch.

Baconeater
12-09-2006, 07:45 PM
Have they postponed it yet?

Baconeater
12-09-2006, 07:47 PM
t-minus 10 seconds

Baconeater
12-09-2006, 07:47 PM
We have a go.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-09-2006, 07:49 PM
Watching it in HD on HDNET....the actual launch is a might underwhelming, although the pre-ignition sequence looked pretty good...they showed a closeup of the shuttle earlier and it looked more beaten up than an 81' Chevette.

Baconeater
12-09-2006, 07:50 PM
We have solid rocket booster separation.

Count Alex's Losses
12-09-2006, 07:52 PM
WE'VE LANDED ON THE MOON!

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-09-2006, 07:53 PM
WE'VE LANDED ON THE MOON!

And you still haven't landed on a woman. :clap:

Count Alex's Losses
12-09-2006, 07:58 PM
And you still haven't landed on a woman. :clap:

I'm saving the best for last.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-09-2006, 08:00 PM
I'm saving the best for last.

If you bed Carrie Underwood, I'll give you 1,000 bucks and not think twice about it.

Just remember, Laces Out.

Bill Parcells
12-09-2006, 08:03 PM
Watching it in HD on HDNET....the actual launch is a might underwhelming, although the pre-ignition sequence looked pretty good...they showed a closeup of the shuttle earlier and it looked more beaten up than an 81' Chevette.
Although I'm sure you researched and did a thesis on Van Braun's Saturn 5 rocket..the one that took us to the moon..

I could not imagine the launch of the Saturn 5 in HD with modern sound..

Mecca
12-09-2006, 08:04 PM
He's shooting for Lance Bass....

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-09-2006, 08:05 PM
Although I'm sure you researched and did a thesis on Van Braun's Saturn 5 rocket..the one that took us to the moon..

I could not imagine the launch of the Saturn 5 in HD with modern sound..

Probably slightly softer than Arrowhead after Dante's return against the Colts in the '03 playoffs. That made my ears bleed.

Werner Von Braun...ex-Nazi, genius, whose designs also helped to motivate the greatest novel of the second half of the 20th century, Gravity's Rainbow.

Bill Parcells
12-09-2006, 08:08 PM
Probably slightly softer than Arrowhead after Dante's return against the Colts in the '03 playoffs. That made my ears bleed.

Werner Von Braun...ex-Nazi, genius, whose designs also helped to motivate the greatest novel of the second half of the 20th century, Gravity's Rainbow.
I knew it.. :wayne:

Oh..and for my gramatical error on his name :Bartee: :p

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-09-2006, 08:11 PM
I knew it.. :wayne:

Oh..and for my gramatical error on his name :Bartee: :p

Who cares, he was a kraut motherf*cker...the interesting thing about the Saturn V is that the Russians actually had superior designs, and always have in the realm of rocketry. The reason why we made it to the moon first had to do with our computers, which nowadays pale in comparison to a TI-86. That's also why Soviet bombs had higher yields, because their guidance computers were far less reliable than ours. In case you wanted to know....

Bill Parcells
12-09-2006, 08:14 PM
Who cares, he was a kraut motherf*cker...the interesting thing about the Saturn V is that the Russians actually had superior designs, and always have in the realm of rocketry. The reason why we made it to the moon first had to do with our computers, which nowadays pale in comparison to a TI-86. That's also why Soviet bombs had higher yields, because their guidance computers were far less reliable than ours. In case you wanted to know....
EERRR
Wrong...the Soviet version of their moon rocket had 40 small engines on it..they could not or would not build the high speed pumps that Van Braun built for the 1st stage of the Saturn 5,which only had 5 huge engines.

Bill Parcells
12-09-2006, 08:16 PM
http://www.russianspaceweb.com/n1.html

Bill Parcells
12-09-2006, 08:16 PM
http://www.nasm.si.edu/exhibitions/GAL114/SpaceRace/sec300/sec384.htm

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-09-2006, 08:17 PM
EERRR
Wrong...the Soviet version of their moon rocket had 40 small engines on it..they could not or would not build the high speed pumps that Van Braun built for the 1st stage of the Saturn 5,which only had 5 huge engines.

Size is irrelevant. The Soviets proved that they could viably send objects to the moon several years before we could. As proved by the Luna design.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-09-2006, 08:19 PM
Although, to strengthen your point, the Soviet N1, IIRC, was a massive failure, in comparison to the Saturn V.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-09-2006, 08:20 PM
You've gotta remember, their Luna program was sending objects to the moon in 1959. That's amazing.

Bill Parcells
12-09-2006, 08:21 PM
Size is irrelevant. The Soviets proved that they could viably send objects to the moon several years before we could. As proved by the Soyuz design.
Thats because they caught us with our pants down at that time..but we passed them by eventually..

Bill Parcells
12-09-2006, 08:23 PM
You've gotta remember, their Luna program was sending objects to the moon in 1959. That's amazing.
I know..but building that Saturn 5 is much more impressive than that..dont you think?

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-09-2006, 08:25 PM
I know..but building that Saturn 5 is much more impressive than that..dont you think?

It's an interesting argument. I think the best thing about the Saturn V is its success rate, not necessarily its size. In a related argument the Soviets once detonated a 52 megaton bomb (3.5 times bigger than our largest shot, Castle Bravo), but size, although compelling, isn't everything, or necessary. There's a law of diminishing returns.

Bill Parcells
12-09-2006, 08:28 PM
It's an interesting argument. I think the best thing about the Saturn V is its success rate, not necessarily its size. In a related argument the Soviets once detonated a 52 megaton bomb (3.5 times bigger than our largest shot, Castle Bravo), but size, although compelling, isn't everything, or necessary. There's a law of diminishing returns.
You are correct..you cant argue with a 100% success ratio

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-09-2006, 08:33 PM
You are correct..you cant argue with a 100% success ratio

And you can't argue with Nazi designs

The V2--->Saturn V

The MG 42---->M-60

Gunther Cunningham...nevermind

mikey23545
12-09-2006, 08:50 PM
I haven't been online till now, but - I just watched the night launch of the shuttle...I live about 40-50 miles away from the pad, and all I can say is...

Sweet Jesus, what a sight.

Do not think for one second that watching on a tv, no matter how Hi-Def, no matter how Dolby or anything else, compares to what I just saw. Even this far away, as soon as the shuttle lit, the horizon was on fire...When it got up in the air, the sky looked like an early dawn. I saw the sun itself soar into orbit. WHAT A ****ING SIGHT. And no subwoofer is ever going to generate the rumble that got here a few minutes after the liftoff.

I saw a night launch of the Saturn V back in the 70's from slightly farther away, but I don't remember it impressing me as much as what I just saw.

I really, seriously, wish you guys could have been here with me to see this.

Logical
12-09-2006, 11:36 PM
I hate to say this, but you have to wonder if the only reason people watch is for a disaster now. Why on earth would anyone still want to watch a shuttle launch except in person, they have been happening for almost 3 decades.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-09-2006, 11:38 PM
I hate to say this, but you have to wonder if the only reason people watch is for a disaster now. Why on earth would anyone still want to watch a shuttle launch except in person, they have been happening for almost 3 decades.

I was watching b/c it was in HD, but I do understand your sentiments, although there is something consistently amazing about human beings being jettisoned beyond the bounds of earth's gravity by little more than a barely contained chemical reaction.