PDA

View Full Version : DVD Player issue - I get Audio but no video

chagrin
12-09-2006, 09:07 PM
Can't figure this out, I can play my TV show DVD's through my X-Box but the DVD Movie requires me to have a "movie playback" setup...

I am aware that some movies wouldn't play on PS 1 without the little extension thingy, is this basically the same deal?

Thanks

Now, about the thread starter, I have a 2003 Memorex DVD player, I get audio but no video. When I turn the player on, I get a brief glimpse of the Video screen (the startup screen) but then, all black.

Ideas?
Oh, I have brand new cables

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-09-2006, 09:11 PM
I'm not certain, but it could be a problem with the copy protection. If you can see your video screen, then your connection is viable. What inputs do you have it connected to? Composite, Component, S-Video, other??

chagrin
12-09-2006, 09:25 PM
I'm not certain, but it could be a problem with the copy protection. If you can see your video screen, then your connection is viable. What inputs do you have it connected to? Composite, Component, S-Video, other??

I get a glimpse of the video startup screen, but then all black. Now, after I posted, I went back and now I can't even play other videos on X-Box. I don't know man, all I remember is when I moved in here (5 months ago) I didn't have cable for a week, so that was the last time I watched DVD's and I was able to keep myself entertained with my DVD collection, but now I get no video at all.

Meh, it's probably the DVD player taking a shit on me

Thanks anyway, dude :)

chagrin
12-09-2006, 09:26 PM
Oh, it's just a "standard" red, white, yellow input setup - I wouldn't know outside of that, heh

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-09-2006, 09:27 PM
Oh, it's just a "standard" red, white, yellow input setup - I wouldn't know outside of that, heh

I don't want to offend you, but your TV is set to the video input, right? :)

(and to clarify, it's more than one DVD that is on the fritz..right?)

icepick64
12-09-2006, 09:47 PM
I would just check your setup again, usually a wire going lose is the problem for me, check your cable box and tv...

also the first xbox required that you have the remote thingy, do you have that?

chagrin
12-09-2006, 10:27 PM
I don't want to offend you, but your TV is set to the video input, right? :)

(and to clarify, it's more than one DVD that is on the fritz..right?)

Oh no problem, I triple checked all connections.

TV plugged into wall
DVD player plugged into wall
Yellow - audio from player to tv
red - audio from player to tv
white audio from player to tv

Yes, any DVD I try to play now, doesn't work, I get audio but no video.
Just forget the X-Box part, I think the player has a short. Funds are low and I don't have the 20 bucks to get a new one right now, should I try to take it apart? What the hell, right?

htismaqe
12-10-2006, 06:56 AM
Sounds to me like the video output of the DVD player is incorrect.

You're using composite connection (RCA) and the DVD is probably set to component or "progressive" mode (RGB).

chagrin
12-10-2006, 09:06 AM
Sounds to me like the video output of the DVD player is incorrect.

You're using composite connection (RCA) and the DVD is probably set to component or "progressive" mode (RGB).

What is the difference? I mean, what is progressive mode, is that like progressive scan?

chagrin
12-10-2006, 09:08 AM
Holy shit dude, I never thought about that - it works now, I flipped the switch in the back to tuirn progressive scan off and there it goes, lol!
Thanks man!