PDA

View Full Version : Heisman Winner

luv
12-10-2006, 01:21 AM
Sorry if a repost...

OSU quarterback Troy Smith wins Heisman
By RALPH D. RUSSO, AP Sports Writer
Sat Dec 9, 8:56 PM ET

NEW YORK - For Ohio State and Troy Smith, it's been that kind of year.

The Buckeyes were No. 1 from start to finish and their star quarterback had no real challenger in winning the Heisman Trophy.

Smith was a runaway winner Saturday night as the best player in college football, just two years after nearly derailing his career by taking money from a booster.

The senior quarterback moved to the front of the Heisman race in September with a flawless performance against Texas and finished off a perfect regular season by throwing four touchdown passes against Michigan.

Now, there's only one thing left for Smith to do: Beat Florida for the national championship on Jan. 8.

Wa-Z
12-10-2006, 01:56 AM
It was a shock when I found out!

luv
12-10-2006, 01:58 AM
It was a shock when I found out!
Uh-huh, I'm sure it was...lol.

BWillie
12-10-2006, 02:04 AM
Psshhh. Should of been Jon Cornish. What were they thinking

Kerberos
12-10-2006, 07:28 AM
Cornish? Cornish?

A game hen would have better luck getting a vote.

:D

boogblaster
12-10-2006, 08:32 AM
I liked the kid from Arkansas...

milkman
12-10-2006, 08:35 AM
Personally, I was never all that impressed with Smith.

Simplex3
12-10-2006, 09:10 AM
I know I'm freaking shocked. A QB from a coastal team winning the Hyman award. It's got to be a first.

John_Locke
12-10-2006, 10:04 AM
I was rooting for the kid from Arkansas as well

ChiefButthurt
12-10-2006, 10:18 AM

You will be when he makes it to the NFL. He's no Andre Ware or Charlie Ward. First rounder in the making.

Short Leash Hootie
12-10-2006, 10:19 AM
and how many Ohio State games did you watch? Zero?

banyon
12-10-2006, 10:39 AM
This is the worst Heisman trophy winner since Gino Toretta.

Adept Havelock
12-10-2006, 10:51 AM
I know I'm freaking shocked. A QB from a coastal team winning the Hyman award. It's got to be a first.

Well, Ohio does have the great lakes to the North, so I guess it technically could be called "coastal". ROFL

noa
12-10-2006, 10:55 AM
The guy had a 67% completion pct with 30 TDs and 5 INTs while leading his team to an undefeated season. I don't think there's any bias involved in this choice. He had a better season than anyone else in college football. He might not the best pro prospect, but he definitely deserved this award.

Short Leash Hootie
12-10-2006, 11:05 AM
The guy had a 67% completion pct with 30 TDs and 5 INTs while leading his team to an undefeated season. I don't think there's any bias involved in this choice. He had a better season than anyone else in college football. He might not the best pro prospect, but he definitely deserved this award.
plus, he played his best games when it counted most...

milkman
12-10-2006, 11:08 AM
You will be when he makes it to the NFL. He's no Andre Ware or Charlie Ward. First rounder in the making.

I think he is an NFL calibre QB (certainly better than the likes of Byron Leftwich and David Carr).

I just didn't see him as the best player in college football this year.

Short Leash Hootie
12-10-2006, 11:09 AM
I think he is an NFL calibre QB (certainly better than the likes of Byron Leftwich and David Carr).

I just didn't see him as the best player in college football this year.
I honestly don't see how not...

He played his best games against Texas and Michigan and was very solid all year long...

He's like a shorter, better passing Vince Young that can't scramble QUITE as well...

If he was 6'5" he'd be a #1 or #2 pick...

milkman
12-10-2006, 11:10 AM
and how many Ohio State games did you watch? Zero?

Yeah, zero, that's it.

You, my friend, are just a loud mouth moron.

Short Leash Hootie
12-10-2006, 11:11 AM
Yeah, zero, that's it.

You, my friend, are just a loud mouth moron.
who is your Heisman?

banyon
12-10-2006, 11:13 AM
Basically they should just rename this award "MVP of the BCS #1 most hyped team award".

That's who it goes to 90% of the time anyway, as if the #1 teams are successful because they have that 1 player.

Short Leash Hootie
12-10-2006, 11:15 AM
Basically they should just rename this award "MVP of the BCS #1 most hyped team award".

That's who it goes to 90% of the time anyway, as if the #1 teams are successful because they have that 1 player.
if you think Brady Quinn deserved the award over Troy Smith you are nuts...

And if you think OSU was a 12 win team without Troy Smith, refer to above.

banyon
12-10-2006, 11:17 AM
if you think Brady Quinn deserved the award over Troy Smith you are nuts...

And if you think OSU was a 12 win team without Troy Smith, refer to above.

Yeah, I remember where I said Brady Quinn should've been the winner.

Help me out. What post # was that again? :rolleyes:

Short Leash Hootie
12-10-2006, 11:18 AM
Yeah, I remember where I said Brady Quinn should've been the winner.

Help me out. What post # was that again?
should they have just not given a Heisman this year?

I mean really...who the **** else should've gotten it if Smith or Quinn didn't? McFadden? Seriously?

Sure-Oz
12-10-2006, 11:21 AM
Wonder what round Smith will go in?

banyon
12-10-2006, 11:22 AM

I mean really...who the **** else should've gotten it if Smith or Quinn didn't? McFadden? Seriously?

I would've given it to McFadden or Rice. Those teams would've been dogs*** without them.

You put Brady Quinn, or probably 5-7 other QB's on OSU and they probably put up the same numbers.

If McFadden or Rice got to run behind, say TX or OK's line, then they probably would've been runaway winners.

Put it this way: Put Troy Smith or McFadden on :KU: since we can agree that they sucked. Which KU team has more wins?

Sure-Oz
12-10-2006, 11:22 AM
Mcfadden probably wins next year

milkman
12-10-2006, 11:24 AM
who is your Heisman?

You may be right.

Clearly the voters thought that Smith stood out, but I just didn't think he was that much better than the rest of the field.

But as I think about it, after you posed the question, in this class, Smith was probably the most deserving.

TinyEvel
12-10-2006, 11:31 AM
He will have a wonderful time in Oakland.