PDA

View Full Version : Was Dan Saleaumua the reason for our success in the 90's on D?

ChiefsCountry
12-10-2006, 02:54 PM
I know DT and Neil Smith got all the headlines but the more I think about it was Saleaumua who was the reason the defense was good. He shut down the run, picked up blockers which freed up our linebackers to make plays, and made a strong push in the middle. Am I wrong for thinking this?

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-10-2006, 02:59 PM
It's not the craziest thing I've heard today.

Mecca
12-10-2006, 03:01 PM
He was good........compared to the guys we have now he was a God. We don't even have ok DT's...

Bwana
12-10-2006, 03:01 PM
Yes, a lot of it. I was pissed when we lost him.

58-4ever
12-10-2006, 03:06 PM
Big Dan certainly helped the Run Defense. He was the Ted Washington of his day.

chagrin
12-10-2006, 03:06 PM
It's not the craziest thing I've heard today.

It's damn close though

Demonpenz
12-10-2006, 03:11 PM
He was a good one but it really didn't matter DT was so fast off the ball that he was going to get a turnover a game. You didn't really have to anyone else out there DT was going to get to the qb.

milkman
12-10-2006, 03:12 PM
It's damn close though

No it's not.

DT was the catalyst, but there isn't one very good to great defense that didn't have that guy in the middle of the D-Line that got penetration.

Saleamua was that guy in the 90's for the Chiefs.

Demonpenz
12-10-2006, 03:14 PM
That was a great D salamua was a perfect bulldoser for my favorite defense the 3-4 he was also so damn likeable that even if he stunk then we are like oh hell How can i hate a fat guy in a hawiian shirt

John_Locke
12-10-2006, 03:16 PM
I miss the oline of szott Gurnhardt and shields

man do I miss that

Rain Man
12-10-2006, 03:20 PM
He didn't hurt, but we had two defensive players who were top 5 picks and lived up to their reputations. That's huge.

Damn you, Sims.

Demonpenz
12-10-2006, 03:20 PM
I miss the oline of szott Gurnhardt and shields

man do I miss that

good guys to root for but the O sucked and the coach sucked

chagrin
12-10-2006, 03:29 PM
No it's not.

DT was the catalyst, but there isn't one very good to great defense that didn't have that guy in the middle of the D-Line that got penetration.

Saleamua was that guy in the 90's for the Chiefs.

Yes, it is - I answered my post in the proper context, the thread starter question...Dan was not THE reason for the success of our D in the 90s, gimme a break dude. It wasn't just DT and Smith nor was it just Dan, it was the entire unit, they plugged in the bump and run Corners and our Safety always kicked ass in that time. It was a total team effort with DT, Dan and Smith being the catalyst for the rest of the D.

chagrin
12-10-2006, 03:33 PM
Now, if he asked, who was our Ted Washington and couldn't we use him today, that's obvious. I also was pissed when we let him go to what, Seattle? I notice that Marty isn't letting any of his big name players leave San Diego, but I guess that's because Carl isn't their GM.

I am watching them dominate Denver and I can't help but be a little bitter, they better fuggin drop a playoff game!!

milkman
12-10-2006, 03:33 PM
Yes, it is - I answered my post in the proper context, the thread starter question...Dan was not THE reason for the success of our D in the 90s, gimme a break dude. It wasn't just DT and Smith nor was it just Dan, it was the entire unit, they plugged in the bump and run Corners and our Safety always kicked ass in that time. It was a total team effort with DT, Dan and Smith being the catalyst for the rest of the D.

None of that would have worked without a DT that got penetration.

It's simple really.

You can have the best secondary, the best LBs, and outstanding DEs.
But unless you have someone in the middle that commands respect, you will never achieve the level of play that the Chiefs did.

It all statrs in the middle.

Demonpenz
12-10-2006, 03:35 PM
It does start in the middle but DT was so fast off the ball I am not sure the Defensive T even enaged the guards when thomas was blowing past the right tackle

chagrin
12-10-2006, 03:36 PM
Hey, at least Denver won't make the playoffs either

milkman
12-10-2006, 03:37 PM
Now, if he asked, who was our Ted Washington and couldn't we use him today, that's obvious. I also was pissed when we let him go to what, Seattle? I notice that Marty isn't letting any of his big name players leave San Diego, but I guess that's because Carl isn't their GM.

I am watching them dominate Denver and I can't help but be a little bitter, they better fuggin drop a playoff game!!

Marty doesn't have a whole let to do with the team's talent acquisition and retention in SD.

AJ Smith is just biding his time until he can jettison Marty.

He and Marty don't see eye to eye, and the only reason that Marty is still there is because of the owneres.

But even they aren't interfering, or allowing Marty to interfere, with AJ Smith's personel moves.

ChiefsCountry
12-10-2006, 03:37 PM
Smith gets a lot of credit, but Butler did a lot of it before he died.

Baby Lee
12-10-2006, 05:24 PM
Marty doesn't have a whole let to do with the team's talent acquisition and retention in SD.

AJ Smith is just biding his time until he can jettison Marty.

He and Marty don't see eye to eye, and the only reason that Marty is still there is because of the owneres.

But even they aren't interfering, or allowing Marty to interfere, with AJ Smith's personel moves.
I see you're already girding your Marty-obsessed ass.
Pathetic.

He's made two different teams better than we've been since he left, and you're still moaning about his shortcomings, while STILL a fan of the most pathetic team in FB.

milkman
12-10-2006, 05:25 PM
Pathetic.

He's made two different teams better than we've been since he left, and you're still moaning about his shortcomings, while STILL a fan of the most pathetic team in FB.

WTH does any of this have to do with Marty?

Baby Lee
12-10-2006, 05:28 PM
WTH does any of this have to do with Marty?
Hit quote on the wrong one. Fixed now.

milkman
12-10-2006, 05:33 PM
Hit quote on the wrong one. Fixed now.

And this team was better with Marty than it has been since.

The guy is a damn good regular season coach.

Unless he changes his his approach in the playoffs, then that's all he is.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-10-2006, 05:36 PM
Pathetic.

I don't think his one year of 8-8 ball w/ the Redskins qualifies as making them better than us. I'm just saying.

ChiefsCountry
12-10-2006, 05:44 PM
while STILL a fan of the most pathetic team in FB.

I dont think the Chiefs are as pathetic as the Lions or Cardinals.