PDA

View Full Version : I think we should go for a MLB next year

RedThat
12-10-2006, 06:28 PM
No knocks against Mitchell here.

But, I just think he is not suitable for a leadership role.

I give him credit for trying. I saw him yelling on the sidelines at one of the DB's for messing up. But, I still don't think that convinces me enough. Baltimore came back and drove down the field for a TD.

I just think Mitchell is an ok LB. But not someone you can build your defense around. His play on the field is at times inconsistent. But he is pretty good. Does he have it to be a MLB and a leader? I don't think so.

*Perhaps the Chiefs could move to the outside? and replace Bell? Look for another guy that can Don the middle.

DaKCMan AP
12-10-2006, 06:29 PM
While I don't think Mitchell is great, we have much bigger needs. He's not a star, but a more than serviceable MLB.

Mecca
12-10-2006, 06:29 PM
Mitchell is such a leader that while he was yelling at the DB's they were looking at him like "dude shut the hell up".

We need a new MLB along with alot of other things...

Problem is he's a FA after this year which would mean we'd probably have to overpay to keep him and he's not worth it.

Fairplay
12-10-2006, 06:31 PM
It all starts in the trenchs as Lenny would say.

We need help on both sides of the line.

Kerberos
12-10-2006, 06:31 PM
No knocks against Mitchell here.

But, I just think he is not suitable for a leadership role.

I give him credit for trying. I saw him yelling on the sidelines at one of the DB's for messing up. But, I still don't think that convinces me enough. Baltimore came back and drove down the field for a TD.

I just think Mitchell is an ok LB. But not someone you can build your defense around. His play on the field is at times inconsistent. But he is pretty good. Does he have it to be a MLB and a leader? I don't think so.

*Perhaps the Chiefs could move to the outside? and replace Bell? Look for another guy that can Don the middle.

Adalius Thomas is a free agent after this season. Do we spend WAAAAY to much to get someone like that?

Bowser
12-10-2006, 06:32 PM
I'll take offensive line help before linebacker help, if you don't mind.

DaKCMan AP
12-10-2006, 06:34 PM
DT and OT are the #1 needs.

Good DT's make the DE's better, give the LBs protection and give the CBs less time to cover.

Good OTs open more holes for LJ and give the QB time to throw.

Nothing is more of a need than DT/OT, followed by CB and OLB (not MLB).

Mecca
12-10-2006, 06:36 PM
This team isn't even remotely close to winning a championship there are holes everywhere. Overpaying to keep a very average player because he isn't as bad as some of the other guys to me is stupid....if we were close I could see the arguement but we aren't.

milkman
12-10-2006, 06:36 PM
I'll take offensive line help before linebacker help, if you don't mind.

But if Patrick Willis is sitting there at our pick in the first round, and there isn't a DT or OT of near equal quality, then I'd rather take Willis, thank you.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-10-2006, 06:38 PM
Adalius Thomas is a free agent after this season. Do we spend WAAAAY to much to get someone like that?

Do you want another Kendrell Bell type?? He's damn near 30 years old and plays in a system surrounded by Pro Bowlers. He's fast, but he's also the beneficiary of being around some great, great players.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-10-2006, 06:39 PM
This team isn't even remotely close to winning a championship there are holes everywhere. Overpaying to keep a very average player because he isn't as bad as some of the other guys to me is stupid....if we were close I could see the arguement but we aren't.

I understand this argument, but I think in this instance it would be best for us to Transition tag him. If some other team wants to pay out the ass for him , they can, but we'll at least get a 3rd out of him.

Mecca
12-10-2006, 06:41 PM
But if Patrick Willis is sitting there at our pick in the first round, and there isn't a DT or OT of near equal quality, then I'd rather take Willis, thank you.

I believe he will be one of the guys on the board when we pick and one of the best available.......

ChiefsCountry
12-10-2006, 06:42 PM
I say we sign Cato June from the Colts to play Bell's position. He is a Cover 2 type linebacker, and is a very good cover backer which we need.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-10-2006, 06:44 PM
I say we sign Cato June from the Colts to play Bell's position. He is a Cover 2 type linebacker, and is a very good cover backer which we need.

He's definitely a good tackler in the running game.

Mecca
12-10-2006, 06:44 PM

Lance Briggs is a FA.......I'd pay him whatever he wanted, that guys a star.

ChiefsCountry
12-10-2006, 06:45 PM
Lance Briggs is a FA.......I'd pay him whatever he wanted, that guys a star.

Chicago will put the franchise tag on him.

ChiefsCountry
12-10-2006, 06:47 PM
He's definitely a good tackler in the running game.

He has 125 tackles already.

Mecca
12-10-2006, 06:48 PM
I'm not sure what will happen with Briggs......I believe they also have to resign Alex Brown and Urlacher already has a giant contract and alot of teams don't want to tie huge dollars into 2 LB's.

Briggs is my #1 FA this offseason though.....

ChiefsCountry
12-10-2006, 06:50 PM
Briggs is my #1 FA this offseason though.....

He is but I dont think the Bears will let him go. So I went to option #2 with June.

the Talking Can
12-10-2006, 06:51 PM

I'm coming around to this position, it is an illusion to say "we're close, we need to keep him and plug other holes"

LBs do drop in the 1st...if we could get a stud MLB to pair with DJ? that would be fine by me....we need talent and we need playmakers

Mitchell, and worse, Wesley are just teases...

Mecca
12-10-2006, 06:53 PM
I'm all for Patrick Willis in the draft he'll most likely be one of the best players available when we draft.

Simplex3
12-10-2006, 06:55 PM
It's a much shorter list to say what the Chiefs DON'T need.

DJ at OLB
FS & SS
Either DE
HB
Punter
Kicker

That's 8 players. Other than that if there's a good player there, take him. Other than those positions this team is old and in the decline.

the Talking Can
12-10-2006, 06:56 PM
knowing CP's history with Hicks, Bartee, Woods, Wesley....we'll sign Mitchell....unless Herm speaks up

RedThat
12-10-2006, 06:56 PM
Mitchell is such a leader that while he was yelling at the DB's they were looking at him like "dude shut the hell up".

We need a new MLB along with alot of other things...

Problem is he's a FA after this year which would mean we'd probably have to overpay to keep him and he's not worth it.

If we have to overpay for him, let the guy walk.

Mecca
12-10-2006, 06:57 PM
If Gun's still here.....Hicks and Wesley will probably both still be on our team next year too.....the life of a Chiefs fan.

RedThat
12-10-2006, 07:03 PM

I think the best route to take nowadays is to build through the draft.

Im tired of overspending on players. I've seen it plenty of times where we pay top dollar, and the guy we sign is not worth the money we give him.

It seems like once players get their money in FA, they're not worth what they demand. Look at the market, not just in football, EVERY sport...FA has become ridiculous.

milkman
12-10-2006, 07:08 PM
If Gun's still here.....Hicks and Wesley will probably both still be on our team next year too.....the life of a Chiefs fan.

Not to mention Kendrell "Hey, I'm good for one tackle a game" Bell.

Simplex3
12-10-2006, 07:16 PM
I think the best route to take nowadays is to build through the draft.

Im tired of overspending on players. I've seen it plenty of times where we pay top dollar, and the guy we sign is not worth the money we give him.

It seems like once players get their money in FA, they're not worth what they demand. Look at the market, not just in football, EVERY sport...FA has become ridiculous.
I couldn't agree more. It seems like the FA guys that are locks to be good get a fortune and screw their team's cap, the diamonds in the rough (Brees anyone?) are few and far between. You get your stars in the draft, you get your filler from FA.

the Talking Can
12-10-2006, 07:17 PM
it's hard to argue that Bell/Law/Surtain/Knight have been worth the $$$ and picks...

milkman
12-10-2006, 07:20 PM
it's hard to argue that Bell/Law/Surtain/Knight have been worth the $$$ and picks...

Hard?
Try "Impossible".

RedThat
12-10-2006, 07:25 PM
I couldn't agree more. It seems like the FA guys that are locks to be good get a fortune and screw their team's cap, the diamonds in the rough (Brees anyone?) are few and far between. You get your stars in the draft, you get your filler from FA.

Exactly.

tk13
12-10-2006, 07:25 PM
Hard?
Try "Impossible".
That's what happens when you build your defense around 80 million dollars worth of cornerback.

the Talking Can
12-10-2006, 07:28 PM
we need to do a better job of finding the Weigmanns of the FA market...that is good value

RedThat
12-10-2006, 07:28 PM
That's what happens when you build your defense around 80 million dollars worth of cornerback.

I think those guys gave us the answer that the draft is the way to go.

Why overspend for guys that are on the decline of their careers, and put us in a whole load of cap trouble for years to come?

It's not wise, and a Big reason why Peterson should be gone.

Cochise
12-10-2006, 07:33 PM
I'll put MLB high on the priority list. Right beneath Defensive Tackle, Defensive Tackle, Outside Linebacker, Safety, Safety, Wide Receiver, Tackle, Guard, and Tackle. But MLB is right up there.

tk13
12-10-2006, 07:35 PM
I think those guys gave us the answer that the draft is the way to go.

Why overspend for guys that are on the decline of their careers, and put us in a whole load of cap trouble for years to come?

It's not wise, and a Big reason why Peterson should be gone.
No argument from me, you're talking to the driver of the Kelly Herndon bandwagon. You think our defense really would've been any worse if we signed him and Andre Dyson a couple years ago? We've built a defense from the outside-in.

Then the best part is the last two years, we've played a lot of Cover 2, just keep the play in front of you-type defense. It's almost like the Royals signing Barry Bonds and asking him to hit 2nd and bunt.

KrazyKorean4
12-10-2006, 07:37 PM
We need a 1st round pick to be a defensive guy. Linebacker, maybe a guy in the secondary. Or someone that can fill the gap in the middle of our D-line.

RedThat
12-10-2006, 07:47 PM
No argument from me, you're talking to the driver of the Kelly Herndon bandwagon. You think our defense really would've been any worse if we signed him and Andre Dyson a couple years ago? We've built a defense from the outside-in.

Then the best part is the last two years, we've played a lot of Cover 2, just keep the play in front of you-type defense. It's almost like the Royals signing Barry Bonds and asking him to hit 2nd and bunt.

I agree with you tk13. 100%.

It would make no difference. Even if we signed Herndon and Dyson the defense still wouldn't have changed.

you expressed a good point on how we built the defense from the outside-in. I just dont understand why we play cover 2, and no press man to man coverage? If we spent the money on CB's might as well use them? i dont know...it doesnt make sense. It makes me think that the guys running the show dont know what their doing.

Iowanian
12-10-2006, 08:04 PM
Mitchell is definitely doing worse in the Cover 2 D and has slipped from his progress last year.....I'm blaming scheme.

Of all the positions to start over, this isn't a place of need. If he'll sign a reasonable contract I think he stays, if he's greedy...let him go.