PDA

View Full Version : 2005 D vs. 2006 D.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-10-2006, 09:29 PM
I just thought it might help to compare the offenses that the two teams played against. I posted this in the Cover 2 thread, but I thought it deserved its own place:

Oakland 32 in O
Cleveland 31 before we bumped them up to 29
SF 26
AZ 27
Baltimore 23
Denver 22 *2
Seattle 21
SD 5
Cincy 8
StL 10
Pitt 6
Miami 16

Average Offensive Rank of those teams=19 (I counted Cle as 29)

Last year we played:

Giants 4
Denver 5*2
Cinci 6
NE 7
SD 10*2
Wash 11
Dallas 13
Miami 14
Philly 19
NYJ 31
HOU 30
Buff 28
Oak 20*2

Average offensive rank 14.56

We had a tougher schedule last year, particularly for our defense. The 'improvement' is highly overrated.

TrickyNicky
12-10-2006, 09:32 PM
How about an average margin of loss and victory?

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-10-2006, 09:33 PM
How about an average margin of loss and victory?

How about this: we were 16th in Pts. allowed last year, 10th this year. Combine that with the worse offenses we've played this year, and your improvement really isn't one. It's the same damned defense.

Brock
12-10-2006, 09:34 PM
How about this: we were 16th in Pts. allowed last year, 10th this year. Combine that with the worse offenses we've played this year, and your improvement really isn't one. It's the same damned defense.

Yep. This one melted like butter when it got cold just like the last one.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-10-2006, 09:34 PM
19.7 PPG allowed this year
20.3 last year

Again, I say, what improvement??

Count Zarth
12-10-2006, 09:37 PM
18.6, actually, if you throw out a special teams and defensive touchdown. I'd rather wait until the end of the season to do a full comparison anyway.

There's also the fact that we installed a different defense this year to consider.

tk13
12-10-2006, 09:40 PM
It's all the fans fault. You mofo's aren't yelling loud enough. Gun's already replaced all the players and the coaches, including the head coach. There's only one thing left, and that's you fairweather groupies! :)

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-10-2006, 09:41 PM
18.6, actually, if you throw out a special teams and defensive touchdown. I'd rather wait until the end of the season to do a full comparison anyway.

There's also the fact that we installed a different defense this year to consider.

Then I'd have to throw out the Defensive TD that Philly scored on us last year among others. It goes both ways.

Count Zarth
12-10-2006, 09:43 PM
Then I'd have to throw out the Defensive TD that Philly scored on us last year among others. It goes both ways.

Be my guest. I haven't looked into the adjusted average from last year.

jidar
12-10-2006, 09:44 PM
How about you throw yourself out into traffic you dirty ****ing fag

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-10-2006, 09:48 PM
We're also giving up more Yards per pass

(7.5 to 6.6) and more Yards per rush (4.2 to 4.1) than last year. (per profootball reference)

Count Zarth
12-10-2006, 09:51 PM
We're also giving up more Yards per pass

(7.5 to 6.6) and more Yards per rush (4.2 to 4.1) than last year. (per profootball reference)

That's wrong. Coming into today we were allowing 3.9 yards per rush and 6.89 yards per pass.

Last year we allowed 4.1 and 6.91 yards per pass.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-10-2006, 09:52 PM
Edit, you are correct sir, but our pass D is still worse on a per attempt basis. (6.9 compared to 6.6)....where is the improvement?? Particularly if you consider the non existent improvement in PPG allowed and the fact that we've played worse offenses than last year.

Count Zarth
12-10-2006, 09:56 PM
where is the improvement??

Uh, how about improving from 30th to 15th in pass D? That's a pretty huge improvement.

Given the fact that our offense has put tremendous pressure on the defense at times this year, I think we've made strides. We also made some strides last year. Baby steps, I guess. The Chiefs will likely finish with a Top 10 scoring defense this year. That's satisfactory in my book.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-10-2006, 09:59 PM
Uh, how about improving from 30th to 15th in pass D? That's a pretty huge improvement.

Given the fact that our offense has put tremendous pressure on the defense at times this year, I think we've made strides. We also made some strides last year. Baby steps, I guess. The Chiefs will likely finish with a Top 10 scoring defense this year. That's satisfactory in my book.

I don't think you understand why this improvement is happening...teams threw on us last year because they were often trailing. If our pass D was so bad last year (comparatively), why did they allow fewer yards per pass?

Warfield=Law in this state...sorry, it's just true. And I'm sorry, but running to shorten the game doesn't put tremendous pressure on the D. They may not score to open gaps, but they aren't putting the D in a situation where they are going to get gashed. If anything, a higher scoring O puts more "pressure" on your D from a yardage standpoint because teams will open it up to get close again.

KC2004
12-10-2006, 10:00 PM

What's sad is i agree with this statement.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-10-2006, 10:02 PM
What's sad is i agree with this statement.

If a team throws on you 50 times and you give up 330 yards you are not a worse pass D than a team who defends 30 passes and gives up 230. It's just a matter of attempts.

Who was 'contained' more, the RB who has 30 carries for 110, or the guy who has 16 for 95?

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-10-2006, 10:04 PM
Only 5 D's had more passes attempted on them than the Chiefs last year...it's 22 this year. Our Pass D stats are skewed by the lack of attempts by other teams against us.

Count Zarth
12-10-2006, 10:06 PM
If a team throws on you 50 times and you give up 330 yards you are not a worse pass D than a team who defends 30 passes and gives up 230. It's just a matter of attempts.

People threw more on us last year because they knew they could do it at will. Until the last couple of weeks, that really hadn't been true this year. The run defense suffered slightly early in the season because of that fact. Teams were running on us more because passing wasn't so easy.

Count Zarth
12-10-2006, 10:08 PM
teams threw on us last year because they were often trailing.

This is not true.

And I'm sorry, but running to shorten the game doesn't put tremendous pressure on the D. T

That's not even what I'm talking about. We've tons of three-and-outs this year. Our defense was under tremendous stress today because the offense was floundering. Eventually, they just cracked and couldn't stop the Ravens in the 4th quarter. They had been on the field all damn day.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-10-2006, 10:08 PM
People threw more on us last year because they knew they could do it at will. Until the last couple of weeks, that really hadn't been true this year. The run defense suffered slightly early in the season because of that fact. Teams were running on us more because passing wasn't so easy.

If they did it at will, then why did they average less than this year? Our Pass D last year was horrible...horrible...but this one isn't any better.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-10-2006, 10:11 PM
This is not true.

That's not even what I'm talking about. We've tons of three-and-outs this year. Our defense was under tremendous stress today because the offense was floundering. Eventually, they just cracked and couldn't stop the Ravens in the 4th quarter. They had been on the field all damn day.

I guess you completely forgot about the fact that McNair was 21/27 all day...

Or the fact that we give up more yards per pass this year than we did last year

You aren't addressing any of my points, you are just trying to deflect.

Count Zarth
12-10-2006, 10:11 PM
If they did it at will, then why did they average less than this year?

I don't know where you are getting these incorrect stats from.

The Chiefs are giving up 10.5 yards per completion this year. Last year it was 11.2

Our Pass D last year was horrible...horrible...but this one isn't any better.

That's ridiculous.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-10-2006, 10:13 PM
I don't know where you are getting these incorrect stats from.

The Chiefs are giving up 10.5 yards per completion this year. Last year it was 11.2

That's ridiculous.

Profootball reference....go look it up. Yards per pass, not just yards per completion. Not every pass is a completion, but every pass is a pass.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-10-2006, 10:14 PM
http://www.profootballreference.com/teams/kan2005.htm
http://www.profootballreference.com/teams/kan2006.htm

tk13
12-10-2006, 10:14 PM
I would like to see what our completion percentage against is. I have no idea what it is but I'd imagine it's pretty high.

Count Zarth
12-10-2006, 10:15 PM
Profootball reference....go look it up. Yards per pass, not just yards per completion. Not every pass is a completion, but every pass is a pass.

Yards per completion is a more meaningful stat.

And even if you were going to look at yards per attempt, you're still looking at the wrong stat. We've improved from 6.91 to 6.89 in that category this year as I stated earlier.

Count Zarth
12-10-2006, 10:17 PM
http://www.profootballreference.com/teams/kan2005.htm
http://www.profootballreference.com/teams/kan2006.htm

PFR is wrong.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-10-2006, 10:21 PM
Ok...offenses attempted 3.5 more passes per game last year and only completed .7 more last year...

So...we are allowing more yards per attempt, and a higher completion percentage, but this doesn't matter??

:spock:

Here's another site for you

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/stats/byteam?group=Defense&cat=Passing&conference=NFL&year=season_2006&sort=1126&old_category=Passing&old_group=Defense

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-10-2006, 10:23 PM
Teams completed 58 percent of their passes against us last year, 62.1 percent this year.

In addition to giving up more YPA, and having no improvement in overall scoring D, and playing worse offenses, and our D is better??

dirk digler
12-10-2006, 10:39 PM
PFR is wrong.

Those numbers are exactly right what NFL.com is showing.

Our D isn't any better and with only 3 games left we are going to short on Turnovers from last year as well.

Last year we got 31 this year we are at 21

Calcountry
12-11-2006, 12:04 PM
How about this: we were 16th in Pts. allowed last year, 10th this year. Combine that with the worse offenses we've played this year, and your improvement really isn't one. It's the same damned defense.Herm has game planned our Offense to hide the Defense. Any improvement is due to the Offense successfully keeping them off the field.

Count Zarth
12-11-2006, 12:04 PM
Herm has game planned our Offense to hide the Defense. Any improvement is due to the Offense successfully keeping them off the field.

Not true.

Mr. Laz
12-11-2006, 12:59 PM
Herm has game planned our Offense to hide the Defense. Any improvement is due to the Offense successfully keeping them off the field.
yep