PDA

View Full Version : This Kind of thing PISSES ME OFF

vailpass
12-11-2006, 11:47 AM
I am a friend of the Jewish people and a supporter of Israel. This incident doesn't change that but I am awfully dissapointed. I expect this crap out of the other Middle East religion but not the jews..

(sorry if repost)
MSNBC.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Airport removes Christmas trees
Rabbi had requested a giant Jewish menorah be added to holiday display
The Associated Press
Updated: 9:31 a.m. MT Dec 11, 2006
SEATAC, Wash. - All nine Christmas trees have been removed from the Seattle-Tacoma International Airport instead of adding a giant Jewish menorah to the holiday display as a rabbi had requested.

Maintenance workers boxed up the trees during the graveyard shift early Saturday, when airport bosses believed few people would notice.

“We decided to take the trees down because we didn’t want to be exclusive,” said airport spokeswoman Terri-Ann Betancourt. “We’re trying to be thoughtful and respectful, and will review policies after the first of the year.”

Rabbi Elazar Bogomilsky, who made his request weeks ago, said he was appalled by the decision. He had hired a lawyer and threatened to sue if the Port of Seattle didn’t add the menorah next to the trees, which had been festooned with red ribbons and bows.

“Everyone should have their spirit of the holiday. For many people the trees are the spirit of the holidays, and adding a menorah adds light to the season,” said Bogomilsky, who works in Seattle at the regional headquarters for Chabad Lubavitch, a Jewish education foundation.

After consulting with lawyers, port staff believed that adding the menorah would have required adding symbols for other religions and cultures in the Northwest. The holidays are the busiest season at the airport, Betancourt said, and staff didn’t have time to play cultural anthropologists.

Hanukkah begins this Friday at sundown.

“They’ve darkened the hall instead of turning the lights up,” said Bogomilsky’s lawyer, Harvey Grad. “There is a concern here that the Jewish community will be portrayed as the Grinch.”

© 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16150563/

siberian khatru
12-11-2006, 11:48 AM
I'll wait to see what Mel Gibson has to say.

Bowser
12-11-2006, 11:48 AM
When did everybody in this country become a f*cking victim?

J Diddy
12-11-2006, 11:50 AM
that's my problem with religion right there. teach tolerance and have none.

J Diddy
12-11-2006, 11:50 AM

3:00 yesterday, we sent emails you must have not checked yours

Fish
12-11-2006, 11:51 AM

When shit like this is repeatedly allowed to occur....

http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/69475/4_year_old_Accused_of_Improperly_Touching_Teacher

Bowser
12-11-2006, 11:51 AM
3:00 yesterday, we sent emails you must have not checked yours

I blame everbody else but me for not checking my e-mail.

Bowser
12-11-2006, 11:53 AM
When shit like this is repeatedly allowed to occur....

http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/69475/4_year_old_Accused_of_Improperly_Touching_Teacher

:spock:

LMAO

J Diddy
I blame everbody else but me for not checking my e-mail.

you could sue me, yahoo, your isp, and the manufacturer of your computer....

FAX
Why don't they just convert?

Problem solved.

FAX

noa
12-11-2006, 11:55 AM
I think you're missing the entire point here. The rabbi wanted the Christmas tree to stay up along a menorah so everyone could celebrate their holiday. He wasn't asking for the Christmas tree to be removed. He wasn't playing the role of the grinch. The airport decided to take down the trees, so they are the ones you should be mad at.

J Diddy
12-11-2006, 11:57 AM
I think you're missing the entire point here. The rabbi wanted the Christmas tree to stay up along a menorah so everyone could celebrate their holiday. He wasn't asking for the Christmas tree to be removed. He wasn't playing the role of the grinch. The airport decided to take down the trees, so they are the ones you should be mad at.

and then there's that whole "or I'll sue"

that my friend is an ultimatum, what should the airport due give in to the wish of every religious organization.

InChiefsHell
12-11-2006, 11:59 AM

Umm...the whole threatening to sue part is what makes the Rabbi kinda jerkish. I mean, sue? Gimme a break!!

noa
12-11-2006, 12:00 PM
and then there's that whole "or I'll sue"

that my friend is an ultimatum, what should the airport due give in to the wish of every religious organization.

The point is he wanted everything to be celebrated, not nothing. You can villainize him, but the airport could have easily just added a menorah and anything else holiday-related to accommodate everyone rather than removing everything all together.

noa
12-11-2006, 12:01 PM
Umm...the whole threatening to sue part is what makes the Rabbi kinda jerkish. I mean, sue? Gimme a break!!

Yeah, its a jerk move, but the point is that he wasn't asking them to take down the Christmas tree. He wanted it to be left up.

Frazod
12-11-2006, 12:02 PM
Instance No. 324,267,671,396 of the minority dragging the majority around by its nuts over STUPID SHIT.

People who whine about stuff like this should simply be rounded up by the government and put to sleep. Maybe they can get this turd and the guy who whines about UNDER GOD in the Pledge of Allegiance in the same van. It's a f#cking TREE. Like a Christmas tree has anything to do with the birth of Jesus Christ anyway - I don't think there were a lot of firs and pines next to the manger in Bethlehem. And seriously, unless the thing is decorated with swastikas, I really can't understand why any Jew would give a shit. Just walk past it and go about your business. But nooooooooo.....

StcChief
12-11-2006, 12:03 PM
“They’ve darkened the hall instead of turning the lights up,” said Bogomilsky’s lawyer, Harvey Grad. “There is a concern here that the Jewish community will be portrayed as the Grinch.”

If the Shoe fits...

J Diddy
12-11-2006, 12:04 PM
Instance No. 324,267,671,396 of the minority dragging the majority around by its nuts over STUPID SHIT.

People who whine about stuff like this should simply be rounded up by the government and put to sleep. Maybe they can get this turd and the guy who whines about UNDER GOD in the Pledge of Allegiance in the same van. It's a f#cking TREE. Like a Christmas tree has anything to do with the birth of Jesus Christ anyway - I don't think there were a lot of firs and pines next to the manger in Bethlehem. And seriously, unless the thing is decorated with swastikas, I really can't understand why any Jew would give a shit. Just walk past it and go about your business. But nooooooooo.....

yeah what he said

noa
12-11-2006, 12:05 PM

The rabbi wasn't asking to drag down the majority. He wanted to be INCLUDED WITH the majority. I agree that threatening to sue is a stupid move, but he wasn't trying to go after Christians or Christmas. He wanted the airport to display holiday items for everyone, and rather than do that, they decided to take it all down. I don't understand why people aren't mad at the airport for that decision. Rather than accommodating, they removed everything.

vailpass
12-11-2006, 12:05 PM

"After consulting with lawyers, port staff believed that adding the menorah would have required adding symbols for other religions and cultures in the Northwest. The holidays are the busiest season at the airport, Betancourt said, and staff didn’t have time to play cultural anthropologists."

No, I believe I have a firm grasp on the point. A religious official decided he wanted to force his desire to see a symbol of his religion where it did not currently exist even if it meant going to court. Rather than risk potential legal exposure the airport was forced to remove a display that had been an annual traditin for decades. Evergreen trees. Seattle is the Evergreen State. Sadly such behavior in America has become a trend. Thanks to the selfish actions of this Rabbi and others like him we are on our way to a country sanitized of every display of tradition, values, personal beliefs, and individual expression.

Donger
12-11-2006, 12:06 PM

Yeah. And the Final Solution was really just a neat way of washing clothes.

Bob Dole
12-11-2006, 12:07 PM
The point is he wanted everything to be celebrated, not nothing. You can villainize him, but the airport could have easily just added a menorah and anything else holiday-related to accommodate everyone rather than removing everything all together.

Stop defending the Hebgrinch.

Donger
12-11-2006, 12:07 PM
but he wasn't trying to go after Christians or Christmas.

Nonsense.

InChiefsHell
12-11-2006, 12:08 PM
The rabbi wasn't asking to drag down the majority. He wanted to be INCLUDED WITH the majority. I agree that threatening to sue is a stupid move, but he wasn't trying to go after Christians or Christmas. He wanted the airport to display holiday items for everyone, and rather than do that, they decided to take it all down. I don't understand why people aren't mad at the airport for that decision. Rather than accommodating, they removed everything.

Probably because they didn't want to have everyone included...it is their right after all...next thing you know, we have to have a Ramadan display, the a Quanza display, then some Wicca display, then the atheists show up and say that all of it is offensive...

...I guess you do what they did. Take it all down. Have a nice day...
:(

noa
12-11-2006, 12:08 PM
"After consulting with lawyers, port staff believed that adding the menorah would have required adding symbols for other religions and cultures in the Northwest. The holidays are the busiest season at the airport, Betancourt said, and staff didn’t have time to play cultural anthropologists."

No, I believe I have a firm grasp on the point. A religious official decided he wanted to force his desire to see a symbol of his religion where it did not currently exist even if it meant going to court. Rather than risk potential legal exposure the airport was forced to remove a display that had been an annual traditin for decades. Evergreen trees. Seattle is the Evergreen State. Sadly such behavior in America has become a trend. Thanks to the selfish actions of this Rabbi and others like him we are on our way to a country sanitized of every display of tradition, values, personal beliefs, and individual expression.

I really don't think it would have been that hard for the airport to put up a menorah and something for Kwanza, even though its their busiest season.

Demonpenz
12-11-2006, 12:09 PM
****in gentiles

morphius
12-11-2006, 12:12 PM
How soon before they start taking away Christmas as a Federal Holiday? One has to figure it is only a matter of time before we are all using vacation days for the holiday.

Bob Dole
12-11-2006, 12:12 PM
I really don't think it would have been that hard for the airport to put up a menorah and something for Kwanza, even though its their busiest season.

Why would they need to erect something for a purely political holiday (Kwanzaa)?

Frazod
12-11-2006, 12:14 PM

What's next then? Give the Muslims some display that coincides with their closest religious holiday? The Buddhists? The Hare Krishnas? The Wiccans? Where does it end?

The majority of the people in this country are Christians. Christmas is our main holiday. Why can't people just accept that? It's not like the airport was employing bible thumpers to throw pinecones at non-Christians. Those trees weren't hurting anybody, and anybody who is offended by a tree has bigger problems than Christmas.

Perhaps this asshole Rabbi and his lawyer can go sue each other. Happy F#cking Holidays. 4321

noa
12-11-2006, 12:14 PM
Look, I agree with people that this rabbi overreacted and that he should have never threatened legal action because that's what forced the airport to react the way it did. Still, I just want to make it clear that I think the rabbi did not intend for the Christmas tree removed and was not trying to wage a war on Christmas.

Bob Dole
12-11-2006, 12:17 PM
How soon before they start taking away Christmas as a Federal Holiday? One has to figure it is only a matter of time before we are all using vacation days for the holiday.

Bob Dole already has to use vacation for the Labor, Memorial and Independence Days every year (or work 4 10's the rest of the week). Why not add another one to the list.

Frazod
12-11-2006, 12:18 PM
Look, I agree with people that this rabbi overreacted and that he should have never threatened legal action because that's what forced the airport to react the way it did. Still, I just want to make it clear that I think the rabbi did not intend for the Christmas tree removed and was not trying to wage a war on Christmas.

Like hell he wasn't. Just another whining racist asshole hiding behind his lawyers.

FAX
12-11-2006, 12:18 PM
Hmmm. This raises an interesting question in what is left of my mind after this weekend.

What does it take to start a new religion? Do you just declare it and file for non-profit status?

FAX

Donger
12-11-2006, 12:19 PM

Look, do you really think that this f*ckwit would have demanded adding a menorah if it were a Kwanzaa display instead of a Christmas display?

noa
12-11-2006, 12:20 PM
Like hell he wasn't. Just another whining racist asshole hiding behind his lawyers.

Well, all I have to go off of is his quote in the story since I don't know more about it, and if you believe what he says, he is quite clear that he wanted the tree to remain up.

Redrum_69
12-11-2006, 12:21 PM
America is the next Babylon...

and

Fax's mom holds the Garden of Eden between her legs

Chiefnj
12-11-2006, 12:21 PM
By the time a lawsuit would have been filed and heard the holidays would have been over anyway. They could have left the tree.

Mosbonian
12-11-2006, 12:23 PM

It's called "cause and effect"....sometimes the consequences of one's stupidity has an entirely different effect than one intended.

In this case I feel the Rabbi knew exactly what he was doing....

mmaddog

Frazod
12-11-2006, 12:24 PM
Well, all I have to go off of is his quote in the story since I don't know more about it, and if you believe what he says, he is quite clear that he wanted the tree to remain up.

If he wasn't trying to make a stink about it, he would have simply said nothing. I have no sympathy for this guy. It's pricks like him that backed the airport people into taking the action they did in the first place.

Perhaps I should go to Haifa or Jerusalem and tell them I want to put up a Christmas tree in their airport. They'd tell me to take a flying f#ck at the moon.

noa
12-11-2006, 12:24 PM
Look, do you really think that this f*ckwit would have demanded adding a menorah if it were a Kwanzaa display instead of a Christmas display?

I have no idea, but I really don't think it was his intent to force the removal of the Christmas tree. He went about trying to accomplish his goal the wrong way and ended up shooting himself in the foot, but I don't think he hates Christmas.
In the story, he says, “Everyone should have their spirit of the holiday. For many people the trees are the spirit of the holidays, and adding a menorah adds light to the season."

Bob Dole
12-11-2006, 12:27 PM
“Everyone should have their spirit of the holiday. For many people the trees are the spirit of the holidays, and adding a menorah adds light to the season."

"Everyone should have their spirit of the holiday...as long as mine is equally as prominent."

morphius
12-11-2006, 12:27 PM
Bob Dole already has to use vacation for the Labor, Memorial and Independence Days every year (or work 4 10's the rest of the week). Why not add another one to the list.
That sounds pretty broken.

Demonpenz
12-11-2006, 12:28 PM
what better what to add spirit to the holiday by being a stupid asshole.

morphius
12-11-2006, 12:32 PM
Did he offer to give them one?

siberian khatru
12-11-2006, 12:35 PM
I'm not going to research the federal court cases on this stuff, because it's voluminous and confusing. So I'll just shoot from the hip and risk being wrong, at least legally:

The menorah, to me, is a much more explicitly religious symbol than a tree. Now, if there were a creche at the airport, I could see the rabbi's point. But the tree has come to symbolize the "season" and the "holidays" that everyone celebrates (i.e., parties and presents). In fact, I have known Jews who put up trees in their homes and call them (half-jokingly) "Hannukah bushes."

So I don't buy the rabbi's equivalence between menorahs and trees.

wilas101
12-11-2006, 12:41 PM
Just another reason for me to never move out of rural america. Crap like this is seeping in but you can still call an asshole and asshole around here and not worry about the aclu or some other lame group threatening to sue you.

Of course they did take away my kids' halloween parties at school and turned them into "Holiday" parties because some <rhymes with hunt> went to the school board and complained about her kids being subjected to devil worshiping. I lobbied for her to be ritually sacrificed to the Crimson King instead of removing halloween parties but had no luck.

siberian khatru
12-11-2006, 12:42 PM
I lobbied for her to be ritually sacrificed to the Crimson King instead of removing halloween parties but had no luck.

http://www.geocities.com/crimson_espanol/imagenes/court.jpg

Lono
12-11-2006, 12:44 PM
I dont understand why this rabbi has power, lawyer or not. Its not his f***ing business. Who the hell does he think he is. In my mind, if I own something, its my business what goes on there. If you dont like it, dont come back.

siberian khatru
12-11-2006, 12:45 PM
I dont understand why this rabbi has power, lawyer or not. Its not his f***ing business. Who the hell does he think he is. In my mind, if I own something, its my business what goes on there. If you dont like it, dont come back.

I'm assuming it's a publicly owned airport.

Frazod
12-11-2006, 12:50 PM
I'm not going to research the federal court cases on this stuff, because it's voluminous and confusing. So I'll just shoot from the hip and risk being wrong, at least legally:

The menorah, to me, is a much more explicitly religious symbol than a tree. Now, if there were a creche at the airport, I could see the rabbi's point. But the tree has come to symbolize the "season" and the "holidays" that everyone celebrates (i.e., parties and presents). In fact, I have known Jews who put up trees in their homes and call them (half-jokingly) "Hannukah bushes."

The entire holiday is a farce anyway. Christ wasn't born in December - the date of the celebration was moved to coincide with a pagan solstice holiday. As I said earlier, decorated trees have no more to actually do with Christ's birth than a fat guy in a red suit sliding down chimneys or shopping on the day after Thanksgiving. Jews might as well have Christmas trees for all the actual religious significance they have.

Lonewolf Ed
12-11-2006, 12:53 PM
The rabbi has said he did not want the trees removed, so this is being blown out of context. But, going with the media hoopla... is a tree a religious symbol for Christians, even though it is called a Christmas tree? My brother is an atheist, and he decorates a tree in his household for Christmas. He does absolutely nothing for Hannukah, though, since it is solely a religious celebration. To him, the tree is just part of a winter seasonal holiday, nothing more.

In closing, to all the atheists and non-Christians out there, MERRY CHRISTMAS! To the Jewish folks out there, HAPPY HANNUKAH starting this Friday. If a Jewish person tells me happy Hannukah, I'll say, "Thanks. You, too!" I won't be offended in the least.

wilas101
12-11-2006, 01:27 PM

I couldn't help myself.

http://www.brookfieldlegionbaseball.com/grinch-J.jpg

Saulbadguy
12-11-2006, 01:33 PM
I'd prefer Channukah not be associated with Christmas in any way shape or form. I prefer being the minority, and not having people try to wish me a Happy "Chah-new-kaw". I understand its a Christian nation, and that's fine with me.

I just wish this country wouldn't go ****ing mongoloid with unbridled greed and stupidity for one month out of the year, every ****ing year. Christmas should be 1 day. Maximum of 3. Not an entire ****ing month and a half of bullshit. That's my only gripe.

wilas101
12-11-2006, 01:43 PM
hell... I wish it was only a month and half.

This is no joke here.... I was in a Wal-Mart the weekend before the weekend before Halloween (the 21st and 22nd for those keeping score at home) looking for costume stuff for the kids and watched them moving in load after load of christmas stuff while I was there.

ok, maybe... MAYBE if Halloween had been over it might not have struck me as so f'd but it was still a week to go.

Frazod
12-11-2006, 01:45 PM
I'd prefer Channukah not be associated with Christmas in any way shape or form. I prefer being the minority, and not having people try to wish me a Happy "Chah-new-kaw". I understand its a Christian nation, and that's fine with me.

I just wish this country wouldn't go ****ing mongoloid with unbridled greed and stupidity for one month out of the year, every ****ing year. Christmas should be 1 day. Maximum of 3. Not an entire ****ing month and a half of bullshit. That's my only gripe.

I hear you. This goes well with the "farce" comment in my earlier post.

There's a radio station up here that's been playing nothing but Christmas music since the end of OCTOBER. :shake:

Jilly
12-11-2006, 01:53 PM
The Christmas Tree, so we're clear, is a religious symbol. Martin Luther, leader of the Protestant Reformation, was first to claim it so - meaning it is for everlasting life, like the tree of everlasting life in the Garden of Eden. The lights on the tree are symbolic of Christ being the light of the world. Just an FYI.

Frazod
12-11-2006, 01:58 PM
The Christmas Tree, so we're clear, is a religious symbol. Martin Luther, leader of the Protestant Reformation, was first to claim it so - meaning it is for everlasting life, like the tree of everlasting life in the Garden of Eden. The lights on the tree are symbolic of Christ being the light of the world. Just an FYI.

Heh. The Christmas tree is protestant. My Catholic inlaws are gonna be pissed. :D

Jilly
12-11-2006, 02:01 PM
Heh. The Christmas tree is protestant. My Catholic inlaws are gonna be pissed. :D

Don't get me wrong, it was around before that - just not as a symbol of Christmas, more as a symbol of life and fertility. Martin Luther was the one who put lights on it (originally candles on the branches and don't ask me how it didn't burn down the tree!)

Inspector
12-11-2006, 02:02 PM
Maybe all faiths could use a generic symbol.

Like the old sign for Katz drug stores or something. I alwasy liked the Katz signs. They would make great generic symbols.

vailpass
12-11-2006, 02:08 PM

Instead of one day of presents you get eight CRAZY nights!

Saulbadguy
12-11-2006, 02:11 PM
Instead of one day of presents you get eight CRAZY nights!
I remember when I was a child, and my friends/classmates thought that was just awesome. They thought I had 8 Christmas like nights where I got tons of presents. I never told them the first 7 nights we'd get things like a bag of Channukah gelt (chocolate coins), dreidels, or other little things. The 8th night was when the big boys were gifted..ie, cabbage patch kid doll, nintendo, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle sewer playset with "Mutagen!". :)

vailpass
12-11-2006, 02:18 PM
I remember when I was a child, and my friends/classmates thought that was just awesome. They thought I had 8 Christmas like nights where I got tons of presents. I never told them the first 7 nights we'd get things like a bag of Channukah gelt (chocolate coins), dreidels, or other little things. The 8th night was when the big boys were gifted..ie, cabbage patch kid doll, nintendo, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle sewer playset with "Mutagen!". :)

LMAO Man you hit on some old school stuff there. Remember the news reports of mothers getting into fist fights over Cabbage Patch dolls? How the h@ll do you remember the Ninja Sewer set? Classic.

Saulbadguy
12-11-2006, 02:19 PM
LMAO Man you hit on some old school stuff there. Remember the news reports of mothers getting into fist fights over Cabbage Patch dolls? How the h@ll do you remember the Ninja Sewer set? Classic.
I remember the ninja sewer set because one time we didn't clean up the mutagen after we played with it and days later it was all encrusted on there and basically ruined.

Jilly
12-11-2006, 02:20 PM

I remember my parents couldn't get a hold of a cabbage patch doll for Christmas for me and they had my aunt make one for me. They couldn't fool me and my super smarts though - I knew it was a fraud!! Good thing my birthday was in Feb.

Bob Dole
12-11-2006, 02:21 PM
Mmmmm.

Chocolate coins.

Inspector
12-11-2006, 02:21 PM
I remember the ninja sewer set because one time we didn't clean up the mutagen after we played with it and days later it was all encrusted on there and basically ruined.

heh...same thing happened to Gochiefs underwear.

At least that's what Redrum told me.

FAX
12-11-2006, 02:23 PM
... and dreams of encrusted mutagen danced in their heads ...

FAX

Saulbadguy
12-11-2006, 02:23 PM
Mmmmm.

Chocolate coins.
Jew gold.

Donger
12-11-2006, 02:24 PM

The history of the Christmas tree is interesting. Some say that the origin of the tree is Pagan in nature. That's why I put on goat leggings and do a little dance around our tree every year.

Jilly
12-11-2006, 02:27 PM
The history of the Christmas tree is interesting. Some say that the origin of the tree is Pagan in nature. That's why I put on goat leggings and do a little dance around our tree every year.

AND NOW this thread is worthless without pics!!!!!

Bill Parcells
12-11-2006, 02:30 PM
Wow..insight of Christmas at the Donger residence ;)

Fascinating :D

Donger
12-11-2006, 02:37 PM
AND NOW this thread is worthless without pics!!!!!

I usually wear underwear.

Jilly
I usually wear underwear.

nevermind, then

Donger
Wow..insight of Christmas at the Donger residence ;)

Fascinating :D

I just do it to make my wife cringe. She was raised Catholic, but she hates it when I have the critters do it too.

Jenson71
12-11-2006, 02:40 PM
Christmas should be 1 day. Maximum of 3. Not an entire ****ing month and a half of bullshit. That's my only gripe.

No greed would be nice. But we Christians have advent which is 4 weeks before Christmas that prepares us for the coming of Jesus. We have a wreath and we light the candles each week.

My opinion: The Rabbi's actions by threatening to sue is stupid, but the airport should have stayed firm on their keeping up the Christmas tree.

And I think Islam is quickly becoming the country's second largest religion.

HonestChieffan
12-11-2006, 02:43 PM
Whats sad is the Airport didnt have the balls to tell him to go pound sand. This will go on forever till someone stands up and says Merry Christmas butthole now go away.

FAX
12-11-2006, 02:50 PM
I understood that the Christmas tree is, essentially, a holdover from pagan cultures who would worship trees - especially at the time of the winter solstice. They considered evergreen trees to have magical properties and often placed candles in these trees to honor the sun god. These rites from the ancient world were integrated into early Christianity as the Roman celebration of Saturnalia was quite similar to these rituals in many respects.

In fact, I think some Old Testament passages decry "tree worship". Maybe this explains the Rabbi's hatred of the Christmas tree. Anyway, the decorated Christmas tree as we know it is fairly new ... beginning somewhere in the 1800s, I think.

The Herm Tree tradition is new at our house, though. We bring it in, chop it into very small pieces with a dull hatchet and burn it in the fireplace while the entire family chants the words, "Pass on first down sometimes! Pass on first down sometimes."

FAX

Bob Dole
12-11-2006, 02:56 PM
Jew gold.

Where does a guy sign up for this whole Jew thing?

Bob Dole
12-11-2006, 02:59 PM
Whats sad is the Airport didnt have the balls to tell him to go pound sand. This will go on forever till someone stands up and says Merry Christmas butthole now go away.

You don't think the fact that you can't count on a court or jury coming a rational settlement has anything to do with that?

jidar
12-11-2006, 03:17 PM
Mel Gibson was right all along.

Frazod
12-11-2006, 03:20 PM
An actual exchange I once had:

Me: Have a Merry Christmas.

Other Guy: I'm Jewish.

Me: Well, then don't f#cking have one.

A variation of this could have worked here:

Asshole Rabbi: I don't like your Christmas tree.

Airport Guy: Then maybe you should get on a plane and go away.

Jenson71
12-11-2006, 03:23 PM
It's the holidays, and we're all in misery.

I can already tell this is going to be the hap-hap-happiest Christmas since Bing Crosby tap-danced with Danny ****ing Kaye.

Jilly
12-11-2006, 03:24 PM
It's the holidays, and we're all in misery.

This is going to be the hap-hap-happiest Christmas since Bing Crosby tap-danced with Danny ****ing Kaye.

yay!!!!

Bob Dole
12-11-2006, 04:16 PM
Bogomilsky told the Seattle Post-Intelligencer on Sunday that his group no longer intends to file a lawsuit, regardless of the outcome.

Bob Dole doesn't believe you. Killjoy.

siberian khatru
12-11-2006, 04:25 PM

First, examine your pee-pee. You may already be a winner!

Jilly
12-11-2006, 04:26 PM
First, examine your pee-pee. You may already be a winner!

or you coudl have someone do it for you
;)

Joe Seahawk
12-11-2006, 04:47 PM
O-Reilly's gonna FREAK!

Frazod
12-11-2006, 04:53 PM
http://wcbstv.com/topstories/local_story_345162626.html

Holiday Flag-gate Hits Affluent Chappaqua

(CBS) CHAPPAQUA, N.Y. The flags read "welcome." But not everyone shares that sentiment about the flags, now hanging in the hamlet of Chappaqua.

"I most certainly was warned I'd receive backlash," said business owner Tara Caverzasi. "I did not believe it. I was a little naïve."

Caverzasi said she was just trying to spread a little seasonal cheer, and draw shoppers to Chappaqua businesses, including her jewelry store, Desires by Mikolay.

So she spent $3,000 of her own money to buy about 50 flags from an online vendor. Each features a blue background with white snowflakes and the word "welcome" running vertically down one side.

The Town of New Castle approved the flags, and town workers installed them on utility poles throughout downtown in early December.

"I was told to keep in mind that we didn't want anything too religious," said Caverzasi, who spent several weeks looking at flags before settling on a design. "We wanted something that was neutral, and snowflakes and the word 'welcome' in my mind was neutral."

But where she sees neutrality, others see favoritism towards the Jewish faith.

Officials at the New Castle Town Hall have received about 20 phone calls and e-mail messages from residents who don't like the flags.

They're unhappy with the blue and white color scheme, which is commonly associated with Hanukkah and also appears on the flag of Israel. Two of the snowflakes are six-pointed Stars of David, and the flags are tapered at the bottom, making them resemble a symbol of Hanukkah, the dreidel.

"My first reaction was, actually, it was a Jewish thing," said Jennifer Cook, who operates a spa in Chappaqua. "I thought it was supposed to be a dreidel, to be honest."

Cook said after taking a closer look at the flags, she doesn't mind them at all.

"I think it does liven up the town, so it was definitely nice to do," she said.

Still, one town official, speaking to CBS 2 on background, worried shoppers offended by the flags will avoid Chappaqua.

Caverzasi told town officials to give her number to anyone who called to complain, so she could address concerns directly.

"I have no regrets," she said. "A little bit of frustration, but no regrets."

stevieray
12-11-2006, 05:46 PM
and the land of opportunity
spawned a whole new breed
of men without souls.

ClevelandChief
12-11-2006, 05:56 PM

BINGO DING DING DING !!! WE HAVE A WINNER

A frickin decorated tree has no RELIGIOUS implications to the holiday. IT is a sign of the seasons, such sayings as "Seasons Greetings" could be associated with a decorated tree, not necessarily Merry Christmas.

Where as a Menorah well that has nothing but Religious implications and in my opinion has no place in an airport during the holidays.

He shoulda just got on his plane went home and put his giant inflatable menorah up in his front yard.

Rain Man
12-11-2006, 05:56 PM
Maybe we should all just start worshiping Santa Claus.

Or maybe we already do that.

Bob Dole
12-11-2006, 05:58 PM
We should all go out this week and beat the hell out of a Santa.

Phobia
12-11-2006, 06:07 PM
No wonder everybody hates Jews. I'm totally shaving my chin and 2/3rd my upper lip in protest of this action.

Bob Dole
12-11-2006, 06:09 PM
Christmas has gone to shit since Phobia left.

Saulbadguy
12-11-2006, 07:08 PM
Give me 50 dollars and i'll tell you.

Baconeater
12-11-2006, 08:51 PM
We should all go out this week and beat the hell out of a Santa.
I'm game.

C-Mac
12-11-2006, 09:00 PM
An mildly educated rabbi should know that a decorated tree really has absolutely nothing to do with being a Christian.

Saulbadguy
12-11-2006, 09:05 PM
An mildly educated rabbi should know that a decorated tree really has absolutely nothing to do with being a Christian.
Yeah. This guy is obvliousy a shlemiel.

stevieray
12-11-2006, 09:09 PM
Yeah. This guy is obvliousy a shlemiel.

you tell him, Laverne....

UteChief
12-11-2006, 09:11 PM
I couldn't help myself.

http://www.brookfieldlegionbaseball.com/grinch-J.jpg

That's awesome. Thank you.

DaKCMan AP
12-11-2006, 09:20 PM
BINGO DING DING DING !!! WE HAVE A WINNER

A frickin decorated tree has no RELIGIOUS implications to the holiday. IT is a sign of the seasons, such sayings as "Seasons Greetings" could be associated with a decorated tree, not necessarily Merry Christmas.

Where as a Menorah well that has nothing but Religious implications and in my opinion has no place in an airport during the holidays.

He shoulda just got on his plane went home and put his giant inflatable menorah up in his front yard.

Bullshit. Nice try calling it a "decorated tree". A christmas tree, as it is called in the article, is most certainly a recognized symbol of Christmas.

According to one legend, Saint Boniface attempted to introduce the idea of trinity to the pagan tribes using the cone-shaped evergreen trees because of their triangular appearance. The Christmas tree is often explained as a Christianization of the ancient pagan idea that the evergreen tree represents a celebration of the renewal of life. This Christianization process is arguably seen in the Old English poem the Dream of the rood, in which the tree is the cross on which Jesus was crucified.

C-Mac
12-11-2006, 09:26 PM
Bullshit. Nice try calling it a "decorated tree". A christmas tree, as it is called in the article, is most certainly a recognized symbol of Christmas.

According to one legend, Saint Boniface attempted to introduce the idea of trinity to the pagan tribes using the cone-shaped evergreen trees because of their triangular appearance. The Christmas tree is often explained as a Christianization of the ancient pagan idea that the evergreen tree represents a celebration of the renewal of life. This Christianization process is arguably seen in the Old English poem the Dream of the rood, in which the tree is the cross on which Jesus was crucified.
So are you suggesting that Christmas and its all its accessories basically originate from pagan origin?

DaKCMan AP
12-11-2006, 09:28 PM
So are you suggesting that Christmas and its all its accessories basically originate from pagan origin?

I don't really care where they originate from. All I'm saying is that a christmas tree is a religious symbol, and for many, is synonymous with christmas.

Iowanian
12-11-2006, 09:32 PM
Maybe if the dear Rabbi would have his Lawyer circumcise him at the neck, he'd be able to see that this was a stupid thing to cry about.

stevieray
12-11-2006, 09:34 PM
people find all kinds of things to bring them to their knees.

sounds like the doc missed and cut his sack.

NewChief
12-11-2006, 09:47 PM
Maybe we should all just start worshiping Santa Claus.

Don't forget that Santa is an anagram of Satan. Don't give in, the end days are upon us. Lo I have seen the Beast, and he rode in a jingling sleigh pulled by 12 infernal stags, the foremost's nose glowing like a hellish beacon of misery.

FAX
12-11-2006, 09:48 PM
... Lo I have seen the Beast, and he rode in a jingling sleigh pulled by 12 infernal stags, the foremost's nose glowing like a hellish beacon of misery.

ROFL

FAX

C-Mac
12-11-2006, 09:58 PM
I don't really care where they originate from. All I'm saying is that a christmas tree is a religious symbol, and for many, is synonymous with christmas.

Fair enough.

chiefsfan987
12-12-2006, 12:53 AM
I'm too lazy to read this whole thread, but if it hasn't been stated already, the christmas tree is back up at the airport.

noa
12-12-2006, 09:48 AM
I'm too lazy to read this whole thread, but if it hasn't been stated already, the christmas tree is back up at the airport.

Here's the story:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/12/12/airport.christmas.trees.ap/index.html

SEATAC, Washington (AP) -- Christmas trees are going back up at Seattle-Tacoma International Airport.

Pat Davis, president of the Port of Seattle commission, which directs airport operations, said late Monday that maintenance staff would restore the 14 plastic holiday trees, festooned with red ribbons and bows, that were removed over the weekend because of a rabbi's complaint that holiday decor did not include a menorah.

Airport managers believed that if they allowed the addition of an 8-foot-tall menorah to the display, as Seattle Rabbi Elazar Bogomilsky had requested, they would also have to display symbols of other religions and cultures, which was not something airport workers had time for during the busiest travel season of the year, Airport Director Mark Reis said earlier Monday. (Watch the return of the Christmas trees Video)

Port officials received word Monday afternoon that Bogomilsky's organization would not file a lawsuit at this time to seek the placement of a menorah, Davis said in a statement.

"Given that, the holiday trees will be replaced as quickly as possible," he said.

Davis added that the rabbi "never asked us to remove the trees; it was the port's decision based on what we knew at the time."

There were no immediate plans to display a menorah, airport spokesman Bob Parker said, saying restoration of the trees was expected to take place overnight Monday.

"A key element in moving forward will be to work with the rabbi and other members of the community to develop a plan for next year's holiday decorations at the airport," the port statement said.

The rabbi has also offered to give the port an electric menorah to display, said his lawyer, Harvey Grad.

"We are not going to be the instrument by which the port holds Christmas hostage," Grad said, emphasizing the rabbi never sought removal of the trees, but addition of the menorah.

The rabbi had received "all kinds of calls and emails," many of them "odious," Grad said, adding he was "trying to figure out how this is consistent with the spirit of Christmas."

Thirteen trees had sat above foyers that lead outside to the airport drive. The largest tree, which Reis estimated to be 15 or 20 feet tall, was placed in a large lobby near baggage claim for international arrivals.

After the removal, some airline workers decorated ticketing counters with their own miniature Christmas trees.

Customer service agents with Frontier Airlines pooled their money Monday morning to buy four 1-foot-high Christmas trees, which they placed on the airline's ticketing counter. Atop a Delta counter, workers put up a tree several feet tall.

The airlines lease space for ticket counters from the airport, and can display trees there if they want, Reis said.