PDA

View Full Version : Trevor Pryce

shaneo69
12-11-2006, 02:11 PM
Can anyone explain to me why we didn't make an attempt to sign this guy? Thank God Carl went on vacation during the first two weeks of free agency and waited until the market stabilized before finding hidden gems Ron Edwards and James Reed for bargain-basement prices.

From the Star...

The Ravens were more aggressive than any other team during the offseason to sign lineman Trevor Pryce, the final piece. Pryce gives the Ravens a run-stopping end who moves to tackle in passing situations and is one of the league’s premier rushers from that position.

“Baltimore was pretty adamant about having me here,” said Pryce, who signed on the day he made his free-agent visit. “Baltimore moved the quickest. The big thing was that they were going to let me do what I like to do, which is line up in different positions and get after the quarterback.

“They didn’t really have anybody who could rush from the inside. That was the reason they went after me. I filled their biggest need.”

PastorMikH
12-11-2006, 02:15 PM
We didn't sign him because we don't get into bidding wars for top talent. We wait until the market is set by these high-priced signings then pay the exact same amount for Has-Beens, Maybe's, and Busts.

BigRock
12-11-2006, 02:16 PM
Did he play DT in Denver? Maybe the switch is something new the Ravens are doing with him. :shrug:

Lonewolf Ed
12-11-2006, 02:16 PM
Can anyone explain to me why we didn't make an attempt to sign this guy? Thank God Carl went on vacation during the first two weeks of free agency and waited until the market stabilized before finding hidden gems Ron Edwards and James Reed for bargain-basement prices.

Well, quite frankly... we've all got to work with the salary cap. - King Carl

CoMoChief
12-11-2006, 02:17 PM
We already paid for our top talent and that was Ty Law.

So far it hasn't worked as well as some people have thought.

Count Alex's Wins
12-11-2006, 02:19 PM
Pryce didn't want to be an every-down DT anywhere.

CoMoChief
12-11-2006, 02:22 PM
Did he play DT in Denver? Maybe the switch is something new the Ravens are doing with him. :shrug:

You don't remember the DEN game in 2005? He lined up everywhere, and dominated us everywhere.

PastorMikH
12-11-2006, 02:23 PM
We already paid for our top talent and that was Ty Law.

So far it hasn't worked as well as some people have thought.

Actually, I thought Pryce was one of the first signings of FA. We didn't sign Law until right before camp.

Like it now or not, signing Law at the time was the right thing to do. A Pro-Bowl CB, who, with a rehabing foot, was still able to lead the league in interceptions the year prior combined with our need at CB made it a good sign. His dissappointing play makes it a bad signing.

Knowing what I know now, I think I would have opted for bringing Warfield back instead of signing Law.

shaneo69
12-11-2006, 02:23 PM
Pryce didn't want to be an every-down DT anywhere.

I've heard Herm say once or twice, or a thousand times, that he rotates his DT's.

PastorMikH
12-11-2006, 02:24 PM
I've heard Herm say once or twice, or a thousand times, that he rotates his DT's.

They rotate alright - like the gates letting people through at Arrowhead.

Count Alex's Wins
12-11-2006, 02:26 PM

Everyone does that. Pryce only rushes from DT on third downs. He wanted to go somewhere and start at defensive end, which is what he does in Baltimore.

We were planning on drafting Hali. It didn't make sense and wouldn't have worked.

FAX
12-11-2006, 02:26 PM
They rotate alright - like the gates letting people through at Arrowhead.

ROFL

FAX

Cochise
12-11-2006, 02:27 PM
He went to Baltimore on his first FA visit and signed before he left town. IIRC.

GROB
12-11-2006, 02:29 PM
He was a great DT in Denver and above average DE. THey should of never moved him to DE. That being said he is doing well in Balt because he isn't the main pass rushing concern for O's and isn't getting doubled. He is an ideal DE for a 3-4.

shaneo69
12-11-2006, 02:30 PM
Everyone does that. Pryce only rushes from DT on third downs. He wanted to go somewhere and start at defensive end, which is what he does in Baltimore.

We were planning on drafting Hali. It didn't make sense and wouldn't have worked.

Give me a break. When free agency started, we had no idea who we were gonna draft. And even if we still picked Hali, we could let those two guys flip-flop back and forth from DE to DT.

PinkFloyd
12-11-2006, 02:30 PM
I heard that we have about $1.50 left to sign free agents next year...

Count Alex's Wins
12-11-2006, 02:32 PM
Give me a break. When free agency started, we had no idea who we were gonna draft. And even if we still picked Hali, we could let those two guys flip-flop back and forth from DE to DT.

I think they were targeting a defensive end. They weren't going to sign Pryce for that reason.

Rooster
12-11-2006, 02:33 PM
We didn't sign him because we don't get into bidding wars for top talent. We wait until the market is set by these high-priced signings then pay the exact same amount for Has-Beens, Maybe's, and Busts.

ROFL Carl is that you??? :)

Count Alex's Wins
12-11-2006, 02:35 PM
Pryce was the right signing for the Ravens - they have an experienced, veteran defense in place. They just needed to fill in some spots with roleplayers.

He was the wrong signing for the Chiefs - we're trying to BUILD a defense. He's on the wrong side of 30.