PDA

View Full Version : Mitchell heated on sideline with...

Sully
12-11-2006, 10:05 PM
I'm sure it wasn't on TV, and I assume since I haven't seen a thread that it wasn't on the radio, but after the long TD over Wesley and Laws heads, I was watching them walk to the sideline trying to figure out whose coverage it was. I nver got a firm idea on that, but I assume it was Wesley's deep coverage.
However, while I was watching the players on the bench, something happened...
Sitting on the defensive bench were, in order from left to right,
Ty Law, Sammy Knight, Patrick Surtain, Greg Wesley, Kawika Mitchell and DJ. They were all talking back and forth, I assume just trying to work things out.
Suddenly Mitchell jumps up and starts to go to his left like someone provoked him. DJ immediately grabbed his jersey and sat him back down, but he was obviously pissed. I couldn't figure out who it would be, unless it were Law or Wesley at that point and time, but when they all circled up and had their pow wow to get their heads back in it, Surtain refused to look at anyone or be a part of th huddle.
Did anyone else notice this?
I wonder if Surtain was bacing up his guys by saying that Wesley had to cover the middle, also, to cover for Mitchell's poor coverage (the MLB has basically middle 3rd in the cover 2).
I can't imagine what it would be, otherwise.

Mecca
12-11-2006, 10:06 PM
Yea it was on TV they showed him yelling at them on the sideline........

Law and Knight looked at Mitchell like "STFU jackoff"

Sully
12-11-2006, 10:08 PM
The way he got up like he was going after someone, I thought he was gonna throw hands.

cdcox
12-11-2006, 10:08 PM
They did show a snippet of that on TV. Looked like KM was trying to fire up the troops.

Coverage was totally Wesley's responsibility.

Sully
12-11-2006, 10:09 PM
What I saw was definitely NOT him trying to fire up troops. He was sitting quietly on the bench, and suddenly, as if someone smarted off, he popped up. A few minutes later was when he was trying to fire them up.

Mecca
12-11-2006, 10:10 PM
What I saw was definitely NOT him trying to fire up troops. He was sitting quietly on the bench, and suddenly, as if someone smarted off, he popped up. A few minutes later was when he was trying to fire them up.

Hopefully it won't matter, I hope this team is smart enough to let Mitchell walk.

Redcoats58
12-11-2006, 10:10 PM
Atleast Mitchell has some passion. Law and Wesley just point fingers at each other and shrug their shoulders as if saying "oh well"

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-11-2006, 10:11 PM
Missed that. I did see him laying into the DB's and I believe the consensus on here was that Law and Knight had a look that said "shutup n00b."

Sully
12-11-2006, 10:12 PM
think probably what they showed n TV was after what I'm talking about, when the players had circled up... sorta the pep talk thing. This happened a few minutes before that.

Deberg_1990
12-11-2006, 10:12 PM
Atleast Mitchell has some passion. Law and Wesley just point fingers at each other and shrug their shoulders as if saying "oh well"

Exactly...Iim not his Mitchell's biggest fan but at least someone actually wants to get the team fired up and hold people accountable for mistakes.

boogblaster
12-11-2006, 10:31 PM
Herm called out Mitchell earlier last week to step-up too be a D. leader..doing his job I guess....

Mecca
12-11-2006, 10:33 PM
Exactly...Iim not his Mitchell's biggest fan but at least someone actually wants to get the team fired up and hold people accountable for mistakes.

Like I said before.....he might so some passion yelling on the sideline but he doesn't show it on the field. Yesterday he jogged around all game making no plays, he jogged in on a blitz looking like he could careless.

morphius
12-11-2006, 10:33 PM
I want angry D players, I hate the "go to work" attitude we have had here for years.

Coach
12-11-2006, 10:38 PM
I want angry D players, I hate the "go to work" attitude we have had here for years.

There you go. That's the problem. Nobody on our defense can HIT like they are supposed to. They just go and just knock them down, just like a push, shove, grab, etc.

They just don't do the hardcore hard-hitting son-of-a-bitches like real defenses do, and they hit hard and harder every ****ing play.

I mean, I would guarentee that none of our CB's would want to throw their body aganist a 230+ pound running back, becuase they are a bunch of pussies.

Mecca
12-11-2006, 10:41 PM
We played a real defense in Baltimore and you know what.....none of our players play like their guys do.

jidar
12-11-2006, 10:43 PM
someone needs to fire them the **** up.

also, I'm about 90% sure that was Wesleys blown assignment.

Coach
12-11-2006, 10:46 PM
When all else fails, blame Wesley.

OnTheWarpath58
12-12-2006, 12:11 AM

Even though it wasn't their best performance, watching the Bears in person tonight was a nice change of pace.

The guy in front of me said two things about them that really hit home with me, things that we absolutely do not do:

1) They're not dirty, but damn they hit you with the intent to end your night every play. Rams receivers had countless drops tonight, and they had to be hearing footsteps.

2) They're fast, but they also hit fast. Meaning they don't ease up before a hit. The Chiefs have guys that may run a 4.4 but they hit you at 4.9

elvomito
12-12-2006, 12:22 AM
mitchell was yelling mainly at knight, who wasn't even on the field when the TD happened

Demonpenz
12-12-2006, 12:52 AM
I really want to start a thread about this but I won't because THe planet has gotten enough of my stupid threads lately. I can't even remember who are last really big hitter was. Wesley showed flashes but when he got that contract he went soft. Our best LB now is DJ isn't know for rocking people he is known for speed and coverage. I hope when we start playing pollard and pain it will bring some fear back into catching balls.

scott free
12-12-2006, 05:47 AM
Kudos to Kawika, he's supposedly captain of the D. If they want to :rolleyes: at him then f#ck them, they need to atleast listen when he's talking.

He may not be Butkus, but atleast he cares & gets ate up like we do when it goes to shit. The details are a little fuzzy yet i'm 99% sure i stand with Kawika here, theres too much paycheck cashing going on with too many guys on D.

Sully
12-12-2006, 06:01 AM
Im telling you... what I saw had nothing to do with him firing guys up... that came later.

He was somehow provoked, and was getting ready to go after someone.

scott free
12-12-2006, 06:14 AM
He was somehow provoked, and was getting ready to go after someone.

Good, maybe these guys need to put a few knots on each others heads in the locker-room to enforce standards & clear the air. Go frickin' Mike Curtis on each other.

I'm still glad to know Kawika cares, i've never really questioned his
"want to". The way the backfield has played lately, i definitely now question theirs.

Fish
12-12-2006, 08:18 AM
At the beginning of the 05 season, Gun straight out said that Mitchell was too nice of a guy to be the mean gritty leader this D needed. He said he worked with Mitchell constantly to put fire under his ass and get him to be more vocal and take charge of the D. At times in 05 he showed he could be that guy. Throughout this season though he's slowly lost it. He now looks hesitant, and afraid to lead. He's not taking charge of the D, and nobody else is stepping up to do it either.

I'm also on the fence as to whether the defense will get better with the cover 2 or whether we just don't/won't have the personnel to run it.

jspchief
12-12-2006, 08:32 AM
I don't envy the position that Mitchell has been put in.

We have four former pro-bowl, long time vets on this defense that have all openly admitted that they aren't "rah rah vocal leader" types. The only other player on the D that is accomplished enough to actually have a platform is apparently still a frat boy that's more concerned with racking up DUIs.

That leaves a young MLB who's playing in his 3rd scheme in 4 years with the burden of being a leader. It's got to be hard for him to step up to a bench that contains a secondary made up of all veteran pro-bowlers and chew ass.

I don't know if Mitchell is leader material or not. Either emotionally or athletically. But you have to at least give him credit for making an effort when so many other players are content to just sit back and do their thing.

Dark Horse
12-12-2006, 08:35 AM
I mean, I would guarentee that none of our CB's would want to throw their body aganist a 230+ pound running back, becuase they are a bunch of pussies.

I gaurentee Benny Sapp would and if you called him that to his face he would cook you and eat you.

Rain Man
12-12-2006, 08:39 AM
Even though it wasn't their best performance, watching the Bears in person tonight was a nice change of pace.

The guy in front of me said two things about them that really hit home with me, things that we absolutely do not do:

1) They're not dirty, but damn they hit you with the intent to end your night every play. Rams receivers had countless drops tonight, and they had to be hearing footsteps.

2) They're fast, but they also hit fast. Meaning they don't ease up before a hit. The Chiefs have guys that may run a 4.4 but they hit you at 4.9

The Bears are indeed a pleasure to watch on defense. It's fun to watch good coverage, relentless pressure, and hard hits. In all seriousness, how does one create a culture like that?

gblowfish
12-12-2006, 08:41 AM
I sit right behind the Chiefs bench. After that play, when Law and Wesley sat down, me and my friend Derrek were yelling:
Me: "I thought YOU had him!"
Derrek: "I thought YOU had him!"
Me: "No YOU had him..."
Derrek: "No...YOU HAD HIM...."
etc etc etc

Schmucks.

Fat Elvis
12-12-2006, 08:44 AM
The Bears are indeed a pleasure to watch on defense. It's fun to watch good coverage, relentless pressure, and hard hits. In all seriousness, how does one create a culture like that?

Have placekickers who don't have sleeves on thier sweatshirts?

el borracho
12-12-2006, 08:49 AM
How scary is it that two years ago Wesley was arguably the best defensive player on our team? :shake: