PDA

View Full Version : Jack Harry

HonestChieffan
12-12-2006, 07:15 AM
Last Night he was saying something about a comment TG made to him...I missed it...what was said?

BigRedChief
12-12-2006, 07:17 AM
Last Night he was saying something about a comment TG made to him...I missed it...what was said?
From a Star article:

I wouldn't be bitter if they let me go," perennial Pro Bowl tight end Tony Gonzalez told me when the locker room cleared out.

Gonzalez is headed for a contract showdown with the Chiefs. He's analyzed the roster, considered KC's inability to take the next step, looked at all the young ascending players who need to get paid - Larry Johnson, Kawika Mitchell, Jared Allen - and reached the conclusion that this could be a volatile offseason in Kansas City.

Gonzalez stressed that he'd like to remain in KC.

"But right now, to me, winning is more important (than staying in KC)," Gonzalez said.

Gonzalez sounded the way Marty Schottenheimer sounded at the end of his 10-year run in Kansas City. For a decade, Gonzalez has given the Chiefs everything, and he's been rewarded with two one-and-done playoff seasons and eight years of false hope.

He sounded like a confident professional open to the idea of trying it somewhere else before his skills decline. Gonzalez's good friend, Shannon Sharpe, left Denver after 10 years and won another Super Bowl in Baltimore.

You can't blame Gonzalez for pondering the thought of playing in New Orleans, Seattle or Denver.

HonestChieffan
12-12-2006, 07:18 AM
That was from Whitlocks story....wondered what he said to Jack Harry.

BigRedChief
12-12-2006, 07:23 AM
Gonzalez was on channel 9 news this morning saying that if it came down to staying a Chief or winning a Super Bowl, he chuckled and said that he wants to win a SB.

morphius
12-12-2006, 07:26 AM
That was from Whitlocks story....wondered what he said to Jack Harry.
I don't care what he said to Jacknoffd Harry, I'd trust his interpretations as much as I would trust Whitlock to guard a Gates BBQ buffet.

Redcoats58
12-12-2006, 07:27 AM
You can hardly blame the guy. I would want to win the Superbowl also.

tomahawk kid
12-12-2006, 07:27 AM
Anyone else see Athan and Kietzman about come to blows last night on the Spot?

I'm no Athan fan, but KK is a real jerkoff. How anyone could listen to his garbage is beyond me.

I'm VERY surprised that someone hasn't taken this idiot down a few rungs, especially given all the skeletons that he "allegedly" has in his closet.

PastorMikH
12-12-2006, 07:29 AM
Tony usually gets what he wants from Carl. I wonder if the Tony's talk of wanting a SB can get Carl to switch his priorities to filling the stands and making $ off of parking to actually making a push to win it all.

I doubt it, but I can be hopefull.

KC-TBB
12-12-2006, 07:30 AM
Isnt this a contract ploy for T-man???

penguinz
12-12-2006, 07:33 AM
Tony has said this every time his contract has been up for renewal.

Redcoats58
12-12-2006, 07:34 AM
I don't think the Chiefs should pay him. I know I'm probably of the minority here that think this way but he is gonna be on the decline here and I think we need a full rebuild.

siberian khatru
12-12-2006, 07:35 AM
Anyone else see Athan and Kietzman about come to blows last night on the Spot?

I'm no Athan fan, but KK is a real jerkoff. How anyone could listen to his garbage is beyond me.

I'm VERY surprised that someone hasn't taken this idiot down a few rungs, especially given all the skeletons that he "allegedly" has in his closet.

What happened on the show? What were they arguing about?

KC-TBB
12-12-2006, 07:36 AM
Yeah, in reality we most likely need to 'bite the bullitt and PRAY FOR A GREAT DRAFT>>>the youth movement is here!

morphius
12-12-2006, 07:36 AM
I don't think the Chiefs should pay him. I know I'm probably of the minority here that think this way but he is gonna be on the decline here and I think we need a full rebuild.
I don't believe there is such a thing as a "full" rebuild in the NFL anymore. If you have a guy that is top 3 in his position, you try to keep him, period. I don't know many teams that build by creating more holes.

Redcoats58
12-12-2006, 07:39 AM
I don't believe there is such a thing as a "full" rebuild in the NFL anymore. If you have a guy that is top 3 in his position, you try to keep him, period. I don't know many teams that build by creating more holes.
It's about saving cap money and aquiring extra draft picks. As I said I'm sure I'm of the minority. And I would have to disagree about there being no such thing as a full rebuild, the Chargers did it.

PastorMikH
12-12-2006, 07:40 AM

Even at top TE wages he'll be cheaper than a #2 WR. And even with Tony being older, he will still produce more than any WR we pick up and pay comparably - he is currently our top Reciever and has more yards than probably half of the #1 WRs in the NFL right now. I'd hate to see Tony going anywhere else. I'd rather Carl put a team and coaching staff around him that can get us a SB win.

Bwana
12-12-2006, 07:42 AM
Tag

Redcoats58
Even at top TE wages he'll be cheaper than a #2 WR. And even with Tony being older, he will still produce more than any WR we pick up and pay comparably - he is currently our top Reciever. I'd hate to see Tony going anywhere else. I'd rather Carl put a team and coaching staff around him that can get us a SB win.
I like Tony G. as much as the next guy but it all comes down to how much he is gonna cost us. If they slap the franchise tag on him I agree but then what happens the next year?

tomahawk kid
What happened on the show? What were they arguing about?

Harry has a "Chiefs Round Table" discussion with Athan, KK and Teicher.

KK was arguing that the franchises futility over the past 17 seasons can been solely atrributed to King Carl. He went on that if Marty wins it all in SD, it would only further prove the point that Carl is incompetent as a GM etc.

Athan was arguing a counterpoint that it wasn't Carl that crawled into a coaching shell during the playoffs etc. - i.e. Marty has his fair share of the blame as well.

KK wouldn't hear it and basically talked over Athan the whole time.

PastorMikH
12-12-2006, 07:43 AM
I like Tony G. as much as the next guy but it all comes down to how much he is gonna cost us. If they slap the franchise tag on him I agree but then what happens the next year?

If you have too, you slap it again.

Redcoats58
12-12-2006, 07:45 AM
If you have too, you slap it again.
Yeah that's true. I wonder what would happen to Gonzo's attitude if they slapped him with the tag two years straight?

stevieray
12-12-2006, 07:46 AM

KK was arguing that the franchises futility over the past 17 seasons can been solely atrributed to King Carl. He went on that if Marty wins it all in SD, it would only further prove the point that Carl is incompetent as a GM etc.

Athan was arguing a counterpoint that it wasn't Carl that crawled into a coaching shell during the playoffs etc. - i.e. Marty has his fair share of the blame as well.

I wish I could've been at the Invesco game when he put on the Donkey jacket.

tomahawk kid
12-12-2006, 07:47 AM

Me too, although I wouldn't need to witness that to determine the guy is a total asshat.

Redcoats58
12-12-2006, 07:47 AM
Yeah no doubt. That threw his credibility right out the window.

Redrum_69
12-12-2006, 07:53 AM
My inside source says Gonzalez is gone after the season.

Two teams he is most interested in....

Cowboys

and

Colts

You heard it hear first

BigRedChief
12-12-2006, 08:27 AM

Cowboys

and

Colts

You heard it hear first
Inside source ROFL...insert yo mama joke now

PastorMikH
12-12-2006, 08:37 AM

Cowboys

and

Colts

You heard it hear first

Cowboys? That wouldn't bother me nearly as much it it actually happened.

He'd be leaving my favorite team to a team that I am enjoying because they want to win and are willing to do what it takes to win. So, I'd still get to root for Tony.

Go ahead and blast away at me now.

jidar
12-12-2006, 08:45 AM
There is zero chance of TG leaving the cheifs. TEs are cheap in comparison to wideouts, even if we made him the highest paid TE in the league that's still a smart thing to do since it would be cheaper than a legit #1 wideout and just as useful.
How do you let TG go when he's your best receiver and cheaper than the vast majority of receivers in the league? You don't.
He stays here, end of story.

DJJasonp
12-12-2006, 08:56 AM
He sounded like a confident professional open to the idea of trying it somewhere else before his skills decline. Gonzalez's good friend, Shannon Sharpe, left Denver after 10 years and won another Super Bowl in Baltimore

I've always liked Tony G....but I lost just a little bit of respect for him after finding out Sharpe is one of his "best friends".

I could probably think of 900 other people I would rather choose as a friend before that asshat.

patteeu
12-12-2006, 09:03 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if the Chiefs use the franchise tag on TG as a precursor to extracting a draft pick out of some other team in trade for him. There's no way he'd pull in a full 2 first rounders, but they may be able to get something for him (a mid round pick?).

InChiefsHell
12-12-2006, 09:09 AM
Keep Tony G! That is all...

HonestChieffan
12-12-2006, 09:17 AM
Thanks...took 3 pages of posts before the answer was delivered....guess folks feel strongly on Tony's issue.

Mr. Laz
12-12-2006, 09:37 AM
Tag
your it

err ... rather Tony is it

Mr. Laz
12-12-2006, 09:42 AM

athan is an ass-kissing wannabe

he defends the coaching ..... he defends the personnel

he refuses to hold anyone responsible because he doesn't want to lose his tenous hold as some kind of viable Chiefs insider.

maybe it's the evil witch from the black forrest that is responsible

tomahawk kid
12-12-2006, 10:07 AM

he refuses to hold anyone responsible because he doesn't want to lose his tenous hold as some kind of viable Chiefs insider.

I don't disagree, but KK is the other extreme......

Mr. Laz
12-12-2006, 10:13 AM
I don't disagree, but KK is the other extreme......
agreed .....

i don't listen to him nearly as much anymore because apparently he's decided that his opinion counts and nobody else's does.

but blaming the Chiefs problems on "the boogieman" is ridiculous

there HAS to be something wrong ..... somebody is not getting the job done.

Everyone has an opinion about it:

If you think it's coaching ..... fine

if you think it's the personal dept ....... fine

if you think it's both ...... fine

just don't wiggling around in the middle so you don't have to be critical of anyone.

Ebolapox
12-12-2006, 10:20 AM
cowboys and colts, eh??

jason witten and dallas clark would LOVE that, wouldn't they?? both are good young TEs, and they get their jobs taken by an aging vet on teams that have bigger problems to fill--awesome

Phobia
12-12-2006, 11:51 AM

I think that's one of the most fair criticisms of Warpaint staff you've ever posted. To be fair, he has a "5 to bench" segment in one of his columns in which he's pretty harsh towards personnel.

I'm all for being positive but we need more of a balance. Fortunately the future will have less of Nick and more of other Warpaint wannabes in visible roles, especially next year. Hopefully the guys we put out there will offer more diverse coverage than the perpetual glass half full approach you've seen in the past. Obviously we've battled a credibility issue and the past and we're hoping to take more steps to overcome that. I'm not suggesting everything is roses or that we're going to be incredible but hopefully we'll be better.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-12-2006, 11:56 AM
I think that's one of the most fair criticisms of Warpaint staff you've ever posted. To be fair, he has a "5 to bench" segment in one of his columns in which he's pretty harsh towards personnel.

I'm all for being positive but we need more of a balance. Fortunately the future will have less of Nick and more of other Warpaint wannabes in visible roles, especially next year. Hopefully the guys we put out there will offer more diverse coverage than the perpetual glass half full approach you've seen in the past. Obviously we've battled a credibility issue and the past and we're hoping to take more steps to overcome that. I'm not suggesting everything is roses or that we're going to be incredible but hopefully we'll be better.

I'd start by giving GoChiefs his pink slip.

Wile_E_Coyote
12-12-2006, 12:00 PM
Harry & KK have an agenda since they feel slighted by Peterson. Not that Peterson doesn't deserve blame, but they would find a needle in a haystack & yell WOMD

Chiefnj
Gary Stills said it best on the WPI podcast (skip to around the 18 minute mark).

Stills said the Chiefs are an "almost" program. Every year they "almost" make the playoffs.

Fried Meat Ball!

I think you should start by making me WPI's videographer. :harumph:

Cochise
12-12-2006, 12:23 PM

It's a good way for the organization to get shills in the media. Hell if I were Carl, I would personally be feeding him "inside info". Just as long as he gave us a good spin in the media, and didn't reveal his source, it would be great for us. Lots of bang for your buck there.

It's to WPIs credit if a shill like Athan is de-emphasized and people who can really write professional, insightful articles are forwarded. There's value in people who will really get inside and attend camps and talk to players and know the game - report things to us that we can't see in other media. As far as stuff that is just a summary of other media coverage... eh. I don't think there is much value to the fan community in summarizing game recaps or lifting quotes from the AP. Show us something new and people will be beating down your door.

Some is good and some is bad, but like you say less Athan is a good thing.

Phobia
12-12-2006, 12:33 PM
I think you should start by making me WPI's videographer. :harumph:

That would actually solve a dilemma we've been discussing. Do you still have my phone number?

Fried Meat Ball!
12-12-2006, 12:37 PM
That would actually solve a dilemma we've been discussing. Do you still have my phone number?
When I changed phones most of my numbers went with it... can you PM me again?

Phobia
12-12-2006, 12:37 PM
Gary Stills said it best on the WPI podcast (skip to around the 18 minute mark).

Stills said the Chiefs are an "almost" program. Every year they "almost" make the playoffs.

Stills nailed it. I would like everybody to listen to this week's podcast but in case you don't have a free hour available here is the direct link to Stills' candid remarks: javascript: onClick=OpenMediaPlayer('http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=11&playlist=' + escape('http://scout.scout.com/asxplaylist.aspx?s=115&mediaids=384948'))

Chiefnj
12-12-2006, 12:40 PM
Stills nailed it. I would like everybody to listen to this week's podcast but in case you don't have a free hour available here is the direct link to Stills' candid remarks: javascript: onClick=OpenMediaPlayer('http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=11&playlist=' + escape('http://scout.scout.com/asxplaylist.aspx?s=115&mediaids=384948'))

Some unsolicited advice: get a reporter who can ask a follow up question. Stills was serving TO and Chad Jackson quality lines. I would have loved to have heard more from him on why he thinks KC is stuck in the "almost" program and what the difference is in Baltimore (re: his comment that the Baltimore organization is more about the players).

Phobia
12-12-2006, 12:49 PM
The guy who got all that from him is Mike Nugent and they developed a relationship (as you can tell from the clip) while Gary was in KC. I'll pass on your advice though I wonder if Garry will elaborate much more beyond what he said.

Chiefnj
12-12-2006, 12:51 PM
The guy who got all that from him is Mike Nugent and they developed a relationship (as you can tell from the clip) while Gary was in KC. I'll pass on your advice though I wonder if Garry will elaborate much more beyond what he said.

I doubt he would at this point. He seemed pretty open after the game (it probably felt good to be on the other side of the coin after years and years of almost making it.)

Phobia
12-12-2006, 12:51 PM
I'd start by giving GoChiefs his pink slip.
He's the best thing that happened to Warpaint in the past 10 months. I know you can't see it but the quality of our writing has improved tenfold. I know we still have faults and he does as well, but we're doing everything we can on a shoestring budget.

dirk digler
12-12-2006, 01:31 PM
Hey Phil do you have the link from the show last night to listen too? I am interested in hearing this debate.

Phobia
12-12-2006, 01:55 PM
Nick said he was going to upload it last night. I haven't seen it on the site yet.

I don't think you're missing much. I watched part of it before I had to step out and Keitzman was pretty much dominating the conversations. He was condescending and prickish. He made me want to turn it off. He should stick to the radio.

tomahawk kid
12-12-2006, 01:56 PM
Nick said he was going to upload it last night. I haven't seen it on the site yet.

I don't think you're missing much. I watched part of it before I had to step out and Keitzman was pretty much dominating the conversations. He was condescending and prickish. He made me want to turn it off. He should stick to the radio.

Which is exactly what I did, turned him off. He's no better on the radio.

Mr. Laz
12-12-2006, 02:15 PM

oh .... and to be honest

Nick isn't by far and away NOT the only ass-kisser

in fact, most media members kiss as much ass as possible because they want to keep their press pass etc.

not just nick

dirk digler
12-12-2006, 02:32 PM

Thanks

Phobia
12-12-2006, 02:41 PM
oh .... and to be honest

Nick isn't by far and away NOT the only ass-kisser

in fact, most media members kiss as much ass as possible because they want to keep their press pass etc.

not just nick

It's the dumbest crap ever. Just report the facts. If the Chiefs fire you that's on them. It's not like anybody is making a fortune except for them anyway.

Phobia
12-12-2006, 02:42 PM
Dirk, Nick just posted that the Harry roundtable would be available on the site tonight now. Check the front page - bottom right corner - media section.

dirk digler
12-12-2006, 02:44 PM
Dirk, Nick just posted that the Harry roundtable would be available on the site tonight now. Check the front page - bottom right corner - media section.

Thanks again Phil

htismaqe
12-12-2006, 02:50 PM
It's the dumbest crap ever. Just report the facts. If the Chiefs fire you that's on them. It's not like anybody is making a fortune except for them anyway.

The problem is that this is the information age. "Facts" don't sell.

Polarization, whether you're the ever-optimist Athan or the over-the-top negative Keitzman, is the only way to sell ads/subscriptions/etc.

The "facts" are just too easy to find for free.

morphius
12-12-2006, 02:59 PM

Just like Dante "almost" had the record but some damn ass wannabe LB forgot that there may be people left to block.

MORE THEN ONCE!!!

Phobia
12-12-2006, 03:20 PM
Just like Dante "almost" had the record but some damn ass wannabe LB forgot that there may be people left to block.

MORE THEN ONCE!!!

Thrice.

Calcountry
12-12-2006, 03:22 PM

Cowboys

and

Colts

You heard it hear firstWhat? You working at Warpaint now Phil?

Phobia
12-12-2006, 03:23 PM
The problem is that this is the information age. "Facts" don't sell.

Polarization, whether you're the ever-optimist Athan or the over-the-top negative Keitzman, is the only way to sell ads/subscriptions/etc.

The "facts" are just too easy to find for free.

"Ever-optimist" doesn't sell too frick'n well either.

Phobia
12-12-2006, 03:24 PM
What? You working at Warpaint now Phil?

I think the Colts and Cowboys would be the absolute last possible destinations for Gonzo. If a "source" told me that I would kick them in the mouth.

CoMoChief
12-12-2006, 03:59 PM
Good Lord I can't even imagine what it would be like if he went to the Colts.

htismaqe
12-12-2006, 04:04 PM
"Ever-optimist" doesn't sell too frick'n well either.

Which is why there's Nick Athan and then there's Whitlock, KK, Harry, and the list goes on and on and on.

Sports radio is a bitch-fest. It's Oprah for men.

Count Zarth
12-12-2006, 04:14 PM
Why would Dallas want Gonzo? They have Witten.

Indy would be absolute retards to want him, too. They need to invest every spare dollar on the defense.

InChiefsHell
12-13-2006, 07:06 AM
Good Lord I can't even imagine what it would be like if he went to the Colts.

For Gonzo it would be a repeat of the 2003 season. All offense, no defense, one and done.

Inspector
12-13-2006, 07:35 AM
Which is why there's Nick Athan and then there's Whitlock, KK, Harry, and the list goes on and on and on.

Sports radio is a bitch-fest. It's Oprah for men.

They need to do a show about losing weight. Maybe Oprah could be a guest.

GoHuge
12-13-2006, 08:54 AM
He sounded like a confident professional open to the idea of trying it somewhere else before his skills decline. Gonzalez's good friend, Shannon Sharpe, left Denver after 10 years and won another Super Bowl in Baltimore

I've always liked Tony G....but I lost just a little bit of respect for him after finding out Sharpe is one of his "best friends".

I could probably think of 900 other people I would rather choose as a friend before that asshat.Listening to Sharpe I wouldn't even think they where friends. Sharpe is scared to death Tony is going to crush his numbers and all he talks about is "my man Antonio Gates." Hell Sharpe is probably the biggest media guy pushing the idea that Gates is better after only two years. I don't know what kind of a best friend does that.

Fried Meat Ball!
12-13-2006, 09:04 AM
Listening to Sharpe I wouldn't even think they where friends. Sharpe is scared to death Tony is going to crush his numbers and all he talks about is "thmsmasmymm thmmanm tbabhmmmanthonio thatesbbb." Hell Sharpe is probably the biggest media guy pushing the idea that Gates is better after only two years. I don't know what kind of a best friend does that.
FYP.

Bowser
12-13-2006, 09:08 AM
Can you imagine if we let Gonzalez walk, and he ends up reunited with Marty in Sandy Eggo?

Gates on one side and Gonzo on the other. Wheeee!!

InChiefsHell
12-13-2006, 09:40 AM
FYP.

That made me laugh my ass off!!

OnTheWarpath58
12-13-2006, 09:55 AM
It's about saving cap money and aquiring extra draft picks. As I said I'm sure I'm of the minority. And I would have to disagree about there being no such thing as a full rebuild, the Chargers did it.

IIRC, it took seasons of 1-15, 5-11, 8-8 and 4-12 to assist in that rebuilding.

That and the absolute stupidity of the Giants in the Manning/Rivers deal.

You can't have the 20th pick in the draft every year and expect to truly rebuild.

Redrum_69
12-13-2006, 10:00 AM
Is the old Tiffany's Attic and Waldo Astoria still around?

chiefqueen
12-13-2006, 11:20 AM
Is the old Tiffany's Attic and Waldo Astoria still around?

Ever heard of a place called the New Theatre Restaurant?