PDA

View Full Version : Q & A HERM 12/12

Crashride
12-12-2006, 04:14 PM
EDWARDS: “San Diego has won seven games in a row, scored 425 points this season with 241 of those points in the second-half and I think 163 in the fourth quarter. They’ve done a great job of creating instant offense, they do a great job in the second-half scoring, they’ve come back from some deficits in the second-half of the football game. Obviously their runner is having a tremendous year, RB LaDanian Tomlinson, 29 TDs and he’s actually thrown two TD passes, so he’s having a phenomenal year. They’ve got some great weapons. Their quarterback is doing a great job; he’s only thrown six interceptions to 18 touchdowns. TE Antonio Gates is having a good year with eight touchdown catches and their offense is really on a roll. They can score a lot of points in hurry and they don’t turn the ball over much. They are plus-11 in the turnover ratio and they are 6-0 at home, so they’ve done a great job that way. Their defense, I believe, is leading the league in sacks. They do a great job of getting after the quarterback, they can get after you a lot of different ways, they do a good job on third downs with a 35% completion percentage on third down and they’ve taken the ball away some 23 times. They are a complete football team. Their kicker and punter do a good job in that aspect of it, so they are a very solid football team. Mary (Schottenheimer) has done a great job with these guys over the years and built a team in his image and how he sees it. He wants to be balanced, people think that they don’t run the ball, but they average about 152 yards of rushing. They are a balanced team; they can run the ball very well and they can throw the ball. They throw the ball for about 212 yards per game and their quarterback doesn’t turn the ball over. That’s what you’re facing when you play the San Diego Chargers, that’s why they’ve won seven in a row. They’ve actually clinched the division and they’ve done a great job of winning games on the road. They’ve only lost two games, one being here at Arrowhead. We were fortunate to get off to a big lead because they turned the ball over three times. We turned those things into scores and made them play a game that they don’t like playing. They actually had to go back and throw the ball 44 times, Marty doesn’t want to do that and that’s what that game ended up being. They came back and made a rally at the end and then we went down and obviously won the game at the end. They are a fine football team, Marty is a great coach who has won over 200 football games, so we’ve got our hands full and we know it and we’ve got to get ready to go.”

Q: Is their offense one of the reasons you want to make the move with LB Keyaron Fox starting over LB Kendrell Bell or is it something you’ve been saying for a while?

EDWARDS: “I didn’t say that. I said that Keyaron Fox was going to play, like he’s played before, but Kendrell Bell is still the starter. Keyaron Fox is going to play, he’s going to rotate, but Kendrell Bell is still the starter right now.”

Q: What does Kendrell show you that Keyaron doesn’t and why is he still the starter over Keyaron Fox?

EDWARDS: “Because he hasn’t lost his starting job.”

Q: Why?

EDWARDS: “Why? We just need to have more consistent play and it’s not just the linebackers. I think we’re trying to make it one player, it’s not one player. It’s us consistently as a defense and some things on offense. We have to be more consistent and our lack of consistency at times has hurt us in games. I just want us to be a more consistent football team and it’s not Kendrell Bell. Kendrell Bell plays one position and that’s not a fair statement that all of a sudden he is the culprit, because he’s not. He’s not by any stretch of the imagination. There are going to be a lot of guys, it’s no different than the safety position, there have been young guys that have gone in and played. At the nickel position, CB Benny Sapp is starting to play some more so it’s just a matter of how you want to spin it. At the end of the day Kendrell Bell is still the starter. You’ll see different guys going in-and-out of our defense, you’ll see guys on offense play some more and you should do that. That’s what you have to do and I think that’s only fair. You want players to play consistent at the end of the day. It’s not the stock market, the stock market is not good when it goes up and down. You want consistency out of your football team. We’ve lost some games due to our lack of consistency and that’s a little bit disappointing. You don’t want to do that, you want a consistent football team. Consistency wins in this league, it really does. It wins at home and it wins on the road. When you’re not a consistent team, that’s how you play. Then all of sudden you play that way and if you’re not having one of those days and you’re not making big plays, you don’t win those games. We have to learn that, that’s something we have to do a better job of coaching, the players have to accept the coaching and then they have to trust it and go play that way.”

Q: How do you grade the job that Gunther Cunningham has done this year?

EDWARDS: “I think that he’s done a very good job and I think the defense is improved. They are out of the cellar. They are about 13th and they haven’t been 13th in a long time down here. They were in the 30’s before and it’s improved. Really, on Sunday’s game they played pretty well in the first-half and really the whole game. They gave up two big plays and those were not physical plays, those were mental plays. Those were mental miscommunication errors and you can’t have that in a game that’s very, very close. When you talk about a game that is 6-0 at half and you’ve turned the ball over three times, which you don’t want to do and it’s 6-0 against a good football team, you feel you’re one score away. Then you have some miscommunication problems and all of a sudden you give up two big plays. You give up that one and you give up one on third down when you have them pinned back with 11 minutes left in the game when they’re going to punt and you’re going to get the ball right back and have a chance to score and it’s a one score game, and we don’t do that.”

Q: Are these mistakes from reading something wrong or not completely understanding a scheme?

EDWARDS: “It’s just guys trying to make a play and in the secondary sometime it’s miscommunication. You can’t have that, especially this time of the year, you shouldn’t have that. It happens and it happens every Sunday in the league and in certain positions when it happens it’s a touchdown. If it happens in the backfield, it’s a touchdown. If you miss a tackle or miscommunicate in a coverage; it’s a touchdown. If you miss a tackle as a defensive lineman or you miss a blitz as a linebacker, the secondary guys make up for it because they make a tackle. But if they make a mistake there is nobody there, the next thing you say is ‘we receive’ and that’s what happens to you.”

Q: On the long pass play, QB Steve McNair looked like he was going to step up and run. Did the safeties bite on that at all and come up?

EDWARDS: “No, it was just communicated wrong and we didn’t quite get it done. McNair made a great play, he really did. He bought himself some time, he stepped up in the pocket and that always gives you a problem when the quarterback has time to throw and they can step up into the pocket and start moving a little bit. If you don’t pay attention to where a guy is, then all of a sudden they’re by you. The receiver ran a double-move and McNair had enough time and he made a play. On the other one, we had a blitz and we’re probably one step away from hitting him, he gets it off and we don’t play that coverage quite correctly. We need to do a better job, we need to tighten that up and it has to get tightened up right now.”

Q: It looked like S Greg Wesley got beat on that play, CB Ty Law too; do you feel like Wesley is struggling?

EDWARDS: “No and I think that you know when you’re in the secondary that the last guys chasing is always the culprit in everybody’s eye. I know, I’ve been there.”

Q: Replays show that he jumped up on the wide receiver.

EDWARDS: “Yeah, I don’t care what the replay shows. The replay doesn’t know what coverage we were in. 94% of the fans don’t know what coverage we were in, they just know that the last guy there is it’s his fault. I’ve been involved in some of those in Philly.”

Q: So it wasn’t Greg Wesley’s fault?

EDWARDS: “I’m just saying that we miscommunicated the coverage. I’m not going to say whose fault it is; it’s all of our faults. It’s our fault as coaches; we’ve got to get it corrected. I’ve been in that one. I’ve been in Philadelphia chasing guys over the middle of the field and they say, ‘well, Herm got beat again.’ Not so fast, it looks like that, but your perception is not the reality. The reality is that we have to get it coached better and we can’t have those breakdowns, period.”

Q: What’s the first thing you say to a safety when you’re a corner and you realize that the coverage isn’t what you thought it was and all of a sudden you’re chasing that receiver back to the end zone?

EDWARDS: “There isn’t a whole lot you can say, you had better hope that it’s an overthrow or that the guy drops the ball because if it’s not then it’s going to be a touchdown. Then you’ve got to get it corrected on the boundary, that’s what you have to do, and once you get it corrected it’s done. You’re not going to get it back.”

Q: On WR Mark Clayton’s long touchdown, it looked like Ty Law kind of quit on the play. Did you have any issue with what he did?

EDWARDS: “I didn’t see it that way. I just saw it as two guys frustrated that the coverage got blown and that can’t happen. It shouldn’t happen to the veteran guys and it happened. It wasn’t young guys. You can always make excuses that it was a young guy who made the mistake. It was two veteran guys and we have to get it corrected and we have to coach it better.”

Q: Is it too early to tell about your right tackle this week?

EDWARDS: “Right now T Kyle Turley is questionable, but if he doesn’t practice he won’t play and we’ll find out more tomorrow when we go to work.”

Q: What did you think about T John Welbourn on Sunday?

EDWARDS: “He did okay, he did alright. He started out slow and then finished up pretty good I thought for the most part. He and T Jordan Black both. I think that Jordan started out pretty well and then some things happened, but they recovered. That was a pretty good defense. Those guys are pretty good.”

Q: RB LaDainian Tomlinson said that he was resentful that when the Chargers were here the Chiefs said the Chargers were soft. That’s the first time I’ve heard of that. Are you aware of anybody here saying that they were soft?

EDWARDS: “I don’t know.”

Q: That was the first I’d heard of it.

EDWARDS: “Well then it’s bulletin board material I guess. They will be even more fired up and that’s good.”

Q: But you’re not aware of anything?

EDWARDS: “No, I’m not aware of it and if a player said it…like I always say, if you put your name on it and you’re the guy, you had first better make sure you’re not hurt when you play that team and you better play good. If we had a guy say it, then he better play good.”

Q: Have they improved a great deal from when you played them earlier in the season?

EDWARDS: “They are still the same team. They were the best team in football when they came in here and right now they are still the best team in football and rightly so. They’ve won seven in a row and they’ve done a great job of playing football. Marty has done a great job of building that team. It has taken awhile for him to get it the way that he wants it and he’s got it that way and they are playing well. They are a very confident football team, that’s what you learn about these guys. They are very, very confident. They can beat you scoring points, obviously they can beat you if it’s a low-scoring game because they’ve got a good defense that plays good and they’ve got some weapons over there. They’ve got a few Pro Bowlers over there and they do a good job of playing football.”

Q: What effect does it have to go to the West Coast two weeks in a row?

EDWARDS: “For us, I have no idea, I really don’t. This will be the first time for me with these guys; I don’t know how they are going to handle it.”

Q: Generally?

EDWARDS: “I had to do it twice going to Oakland for a playoff game. We won one and lost one, lost in the playoffs when we went there. We’ll find out and I think it is good. Everything we are going through right now is good for this program because it is the foundation you want to set. When you talk about building a program, I think that some people get it twisted. For me it’s not twisted, it’s about trying to build a football program that’s going to win championships. You don’t wait until the end of the journey, you start at the beginning. It doesn’t matter what your record is, you have to build it that way and the players have to know that this is how we do things because this is the way that you win championships. Whether how you play on the road, whether how you practice, whether how you draft players, all of those things are part of the process of how you build your program and that’s what we’re in the process of doing right now. So us going to the West Coast and playing two games on the road, I think, is very important because that could come up. If you are a playoff team, it could come up in the playoffs. You have to go on the road twice; you have to play two road games. I look at this as all good experience for your football team, these happen to be two division opponents, two opponents that we have beaten. We beat them at home, now can you do it on the road? The teams that can do that are the teams that are generally always in the playoffs and they can win on the road in playoff games, so it’s a good experience for your football team and you’ve got to go see how they react. We are going to go play a team that has won the division outright. There are still some things that we can accomplish too and I think you can’t lose sight of that when you are trying to build a program. You never lose sight of the big picture and that’s what this thing is all about. It is about the big picture, how we start the season off, how we’re going to end the season and from then on how we are going to continue to grow.”

Q: After 13 games, what is your report card?

EDWARDS: “Right now we are okay. We’ve lost some games that we probably could have won, but we didn’t and that’s something you learn about your football team. We left some games on the table. We have obviously left some games on the table and that’s disappointing because this league is about winning the close one and you’ve got to win the close one on the road. When it is a close game on the road, those are the one’s that you’ve got to win because you know that’s money in the bank. When you get within a score on the road, those are the ones that you need to win. Because when you can win those games, you really pick up a bunch of games on teams in the league. We’ve had the opportunity to do that a couple or times and we didn’t get it done. We didn’t get it done. We’ve got to do a better job of coaching it and we’ve got to do a better job of playing in those situations and making the plays that we have to make to win those football games.”

Q: Does playing a playoff-caliber team like the Ravens give you a better perspective of where you are at?

EDWARDS: “Yeah, I think it gives everyone a better perspective. I think that if you look at the first half and you are down 6-0 and have turned the ball over three times, you’re going okay it’s a game, I’m in the game. We don’t give ourselves a chance when we make mental errors and that’s the disappointing part. We made some mental errors and the defense is glaring because of the big pass play, but there are some other errors we made on some crucial situations in the game whether it is on offense or defense that maybe doesn’t get looked upon because the common eye doesn’t see it, because it is not evident. There are some things offensively that we should have done better too.”

Q: On the long fourth-quarter drive that Baltimore had, you had LB Kris Griffin and LB Rich Scanlon on the field at the same time. They are listed as third on your depth, why?

EDWARDS: “We were in our tank package and we had a couple of guys who had some boo-boos that were sore or hurt and we had to put those guys in there. They were ready to go in there and they did a good job. That’s what you have to do and that’s the great thing about the team so far is that guys have gone in and been responsible and been ready to play. I think that’s a great thing thus far is that we’ve evaluated a lot of the players on the football team and that’s good because you have a good eye of what your talent is.”

Q: Are you guys going up on Friday for the West Coast trip?

EDWARDS: “Yes.”

Q: What’s the reasoning behind that?

EDWARDS: “Just to give us a better way to prepare. It gets your team ready to go and that’s how we always did it in New York. I’ve gone out there nine times and won six counting playoff games. I feel very comfortable doing it that way, I just think that it gives players the best chance to get ready to play a game like that. I say that as a former player. When I was playing for Coach (Dick) Vermeil and we went out to the West Coast, we’d get out there at about six o’clock at night and we’d wake up that morning and have to play. It was tough to be quite honest. I think you have to create an atmosphere where you know that you’ve done everything in your power as a coach to prepare your players where they have the best chance to win and that’s what is great about this organization. This organization is going to do everything in their power to give these players the opportunity and I think that this is the best way to do it. We had to do this against the Raiders (when I was with the Jets) on the West Coast, we had to go out there and beat them. We went out there and won the game and turned back the next week and had to go play them in the playoffs. I just think it’s the best way to do it and this organization is about winning, they want to do what is best for the players so at the end of the day that’s all you can do. We’ve done all we can for the players, now they have to go play good.”

Q: Do you think that the team needs to get away from here for a while?

EDWARDS: “I don’t know. I like going on the road to play. I really do, I’ve always been that way as a player. You come together as a team and that’s how you have to play if you want to win on the road. Once you get that feeling of doing that, you’re going to win on the road. When I was in my first-year as a coach, we couldn’t wait to get on the road and we won a lot of football games on the road.”

penguinz
12-12-2006, 04:21 PM
Q: Replays show that he jumped up on the wide receiver.

EDWARDS: “Yeah, I don’t care what the replay shows. The replay doesn’t know what coverage we were in. 94% of the fans don’t know what coverage we were in, they just know that the last guy there is it’s his fault. I’ve been involved in some of those in Philly.”What coverage would allow the safety to bite twice on the same play and leave the WR all alone?

Donger
12-12-2006, 04:23 PM
"I don't know" said three times?

siberian khatru
12-12-2006, 04:26 PM
EDWARDS: “Yeah, I don’t care what the replay shows."

"Who are you going to believe, me or your own lying eyes?"

FAX
12-12-2006, 04:32 PM
Lying "common" eyes, Mr. siberian khatru.

FAX

El Jefe
12-12-2006, 04:40 PM
Penguinz I like that point.

HonestChieffan
12-12-2006, 04:48 PM
Please, listen to me, don't look at the film.....DUHHHH

"EDWARDS: “I don’t know. I like going on the road to play. I really do, I’ve always been that way as a player. You come together as a team and that’s how you have to play if you want to win on the road"

In that case Herm should move, stay on the road, and not come back.

"“I didn’t say that. I said that Keyaron Fox was going to play, like he’s played before, but Kendrell Bell is still the starter."

Whew, I feel better now.

J Diddy
12-12-2006, 04:59 PM
What coverage would allow the safety to bite twice on the same play and leave the WR all alone?

it was a trick coverage scheme

McNair was supposed to stand in awe and get sacked

Crashride
12-12-2006, 05:01 PM
Im suprised no one asked Herm about all the arguing that was going on between KM and Ty law. And why he doesnt just freaking start pollard and page

HonestChieffan
12-12-2006, 05:08 PM
Stop it...please....

You are not listening.

Bad, bad fan, bad.

kc-nd
12-12-2006, 05:41 PM
What's a "boo-boo"?

HonestChieffan
12-12-2006, 05:45 PM
Hiring Herm was a ...

SBK
12-12-2006, 05:51 PM
What's a "boo-boo"?

That's what happens to a player when a coach attaches nuthooks and drags them off the field.

Reerun_KC
12-12-2006, 05:52 PM
Hiring Herm was a ...

Blessing in disguise

bogie
12-12-2006, 06:04 PM
"Consistency wins in this league" Yep and consistent we are not.

Rain Man
12-12-2006, 07:53 PM
"Consistency wins in this league" Yep and consistent we are not.

In the preseason, Herm said that Ryan Sims was consistent, but not all the time. That was my favorite quote of the year.

scorpio
12-12-2006, 08:00 PM
Miscommunication.

Reerun_KC
12-12-2006, 08:01 PM
In the preseason, Herm said that Ryan Sims was consistent, but not all the time. That was my favorite quote of the year.

Mine had to be the Quote would of been "You cant try and outscore your opponets on the road, you have to run the ball and control the clock."

How about this jewel "You can score to fast and to often, causing your defense to lose the game"

Easy 6
12-12-2006, 08:07 PM
Boy...there was a real snappy tone coming from Herm here. But I believe he made some very truthful points.

But he had better be careful with his snot-nosed remarks. Fans & media alike will quickly tire of it.

Reerun_KC
12-12-2006, 08:24 PM
Boy...there was a real snappy tone coming from Herm here. But I believe he made some very truthful points.

But he had better be careful with his snot-nosed remarks. Fans & media alike will quickly tire of it.

I have heard complaints from people here and friends in the KC area, that he press conference act is wearing thin already.....

just a matter of time before Rhonda Moss askes him a very tough question and we will get the "Play to win the game" response.

TrickyNicky
12-12-2006, 08:46 PM
94% percent of you have no idea how to coach a football team, or play the game, or identify a coverage. Obviously.

Count Alex's Losses
12-12-2006, 08:52 PM
It was clearly Wesley's fault. Herm isn't going to throw anyone under the bus. He hasn't all year. Good for him.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-12-2006, 08:57 PM
It was clearly Wesley's fault. Herm isn't going to throw anyone under the bus. He hasn't all year. Good for him.

Too bad the dumb cocksucker didn't review the tape, which shows that the last guy there was clearly Pollard, and not Wesley or Law, since he was the only guy chasing.

Not only did Wesley blow the coverage, he quit on the play. Why wouldn't you throw someone under the bus for that? Or should you tolerant both incompetence and a lack of effort instead of just incompetence?

Count Alex's Losses
12-12-2006, 09:06 PM
Why wouldn't you throw someone under the bus for that?

I'm sure he had words for him in private. I like the way he handled it.

Coach
12-12-2006, 09:06 PM
Well, how about fixing the goddamn miscommunication and make it communicate, goddammit!

Crashride
12-12-2006, 09:29 PM
Herm is really good at not executing the ideas he preaches thus far. Im talking about turnovers on both sides of the ball and possession of the clock.

el borracho
12-12-2006, 09:48 PM
Herm is really good at not executing the ideas he preaches thus far. Im talking about turnovers on both sides of the ball and possession of the clock.
Time of possession is a good point. Seems like we are behind in time of possession pretty regularly this season.

I can't decide which need is greater- Olinemen or Dlinemen. I do know that the draft better be full of both. It is simply impossible to run any schemes effectively with the linemen we have.

Simply Red
12-12-2006, 09:57 PM
I'm sure he had words for him in private. I like the way he handled it.

I think a good solid "bitch-smack" was in order personally.