PDA

View Full Version : Golden Globe nominees announced...

Fire Me Boy!
12-14-2006, 08:21 AM
<b>'Babel' leads Golden Globe nominees; multiple nominees galore </b>

BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. (AP) – Helen Mirren, Leonardo DiCaprio and Clint Eastwood were among the multiple nominees, while the multinational ensemble drama "Babel" led Golden Globe contenders Thursday with seven nominations including best dramatic picture.

Also nominated for best dramatic picture: the Robert Kennedy story "Bobby," the mob tale "The Departed," the suburban drama "Little Children" and the royalty-in-crisis "The Queen."

Mirren received nominations for playing both Queen Elizabeth I and II. She was nominated for dramatic movie actress for playing the current monarch in "The Queen," and for the title role in the TV miniseries "Elizabeth I." She also had a nomination for best actress in a TV miniseries or movie for "Prime Suspect: The Final Act."

Other multiple nominees included DiCaprio, who had two nominations for best dramatic film actor in "Blood Diamond" and "The Departed"; Eastwood, who had two directing nominations for his World War II companion films "Flags of Our Fathers" and "Letters from Iwo Jima"; and Toni Collette, nominated for best actress in a movie comedy or musical for the road-trip romp "Little Miss Sunshine" and TV supporting actress for "Tsunami: The Aftermath."

"Babel," a story of families around the globe connected by a tragic shooting in the North African desert, also had nominations for performers Brad Pitt, Rinko Kikuchi and Adriana Barraza, director Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu, and best screenplay and musical score.

The Globes also include a category for best comedy or musical film, the nominees for which included the American culture satire "Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan." The movie's star, Sacha Baron Cohen, also was nominated for best actor in a movie comedy or musical.

The other best comedy or musical nominees were the fashion industry satire "The Devil Wears Prada," the Motown musical "Dreamgirls," "Little Miss Sunshine" and the tobacco tale "Thank You for Smoking."

<hr size="3">

<b>List of motion-picture nominees for the 64th annual Golden Globe Awards </b>

Motion picture nominees for the 64th annual Golden Globe Awards announced Thursday in Beverly Hills, Calif:

<b>MOTION PICTURES:</b></b>

<b>Picture, Drama:</b> "Babel," "Bobby," "The Departed," "Little Children," "The Queen"

<b>Actress, Drama:</b> Penelope Cruz, "Volver"; Judi Dench, "Notes on a Scandal"; Maggie Gyllenhaal, "Sherrybaby"; Helen Mirren, "The Queen"; Kate Winslet, "Little Children"

<b>Actor, Drama:</b> Leonardo DiCaprio, "Blood Diamond"; Leonardo DiCaprio, "The Departed"; Peter O'Toole, "Venus"; Will Smith, "The Pursuit of Happyness"; Forest Whitaker, "The Last King of Scotland"

<b>Picture, Musical or Comedy:</b> Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan," "The Devil Wears Prada," "Dreamgirls," "Little Miss Sunshine," "Thank You for Smoking"

<b>Actress, Musical or Comedy:</b> Annette Bening, "Running With Scissors"; Toni Collette, "Little Miss Sunshine"; Beyonce Knowles, "Dreamgirls"; Meryl Streep, "The Devil Wears Prada"; Renee Zellweger, "Miss Potter"

<b>Actor, Musical or Comedy:</b> Sacha Baron Cohen, "Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan"; Johnny Depp, "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest"; Aaron Eckhart, "Thank You for Smoking"; Chiwetel Ejiofor, "Kinky Boots"; Will Ferrell, "Stranger than Fiction"

<b>Supporting Actress:</b> Adriana Barraza, "Babel"; Cate Blanchett, "Notes on a Scandal"; Emily Blunt, "The Devil Wears Prada"; Jennifer Hudson, "Dreamgirls"; Rinko Kikuchi, "Babel"

<b>Supporting Actor:</b> Ben Affleck, "Hollywoodland"; Eddie Murphy, "Dreamgirls"; Jack Nicholson, "The Departed"; Brad Pitt, "Babel"; Mark Wahlberg, "The Departed"

<b>Director:</b> Clint Eastwood, "Flags of Our Fathers"; Clint Eastwood, "Letters from Iwo Jima"; Steven Frears, "The Queen"; Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu, "Babel"; Martin Scorsese, "The Departed"

<b>Screenplay:</b> Guillermo Arriaga, "Babel"; Todd Field and Tom Perrotta, "Little Children"; Patrick Marber, "Notes on a Scandal"; William Monahan, "The Departed"; Peter Morgan, "The Queen"

<b>Foreign Language:</b> "Apocalypto," USA; "Letters from Iwo Jima," USA/Japan; "The Lives of Others," Germany; "Pan's Labyrinth," Mexico; "Volver" Spain

<b>Animated Film:</b> "Cars," "Happy Feet," "Monster House"

<b>Original Score:</b> Alexandre Desplat, "The Painted Veil"; Clint Mansell, "The Fountain"; Gustavo Santaolalla, "Babel"; Carlo Siliotto, "Nomad"; Hans Zimmer, "The Da Vinci Code"

<b>Original Song:</b> "A Father's Way" from "The Pursuit of Happyness"; "Listen" from "Dreamgirls"; "Never Gonna Break My Faith" from "Bobby"; "The Song of the Heart" from "Happy Feet"; "Try Not to Remember" from "Home of the Brave"

KC-TBB
12-14-2006, 08:32 AM
I don't see anything I like on that whole list except "flags of our fathers" which was pretty good.

StcChief
12-14-2006, 09:13 AM
Who the F cares.

waiting for DVD release to maybe rent.
Flags of our Fathers

kepp
12-14-2006, 09:37 AM
"Flags of our Fathers" was great. I saw it in the theater with my Dad. My great uncle got his leg blown off at Iwo Jima, so it had some significance for me.

Other than that though, I couldn't care less about celebrities giving each other awards.

Fire Me Boy!
12-14-2006, 11:21 AM
Who the F cares.

waiting for DVD release to maybe rent.
Flags of our Fathers
So instead of coming on here and saying "who the f cares," why did you even bother clicking on the thread? It's not like the thread title wasn't descriptive enough.

:shake:

DaneMcCloud
12-14-2006, 11:45 AM
Other than that though, I couldn't care less about celebrities giving each other awards.

I'm with ya, but the Golden Globes are nominated and chosen among the Hollywood Foreign Press. The Oscars (or Academy Awards) are given among the directors, screenwriters, actors & actresses made up of the Academy Members. So it's a little different.

BIG_DADDY
12-14-2006, 11:49 AM
I am sick of awards. There is nothing worse than a bunch of Hollywood ****s all jacking each other off.