PDA

View Full Version : That blocked punt

KrazyKorean4
12-17-2006, 09:34 PM
That really pisses me off. They need to go back, look at that, and think of how they ****ed that call up. And no, I'm not talking about the Chiefs. I'm talking about the dumbass referee with a lisp. How the **** do we block the punt, and somehow, the Chargers get a fresh set of downs. How do they **** up, but get rewarded. And I know people will say "Oh, but he touched the ball." I don't give a ****. He wasn't past the sticks, they shouldn't have gotten the first. It doesn't matter how he gets it, it matters that he gets it. That was a bullshit call, and if it wasn't for that, it probably would be 10-7 Chiefs right now.

And Phillip Rivers is a ****ing pussy ass wiping son of a bitch and I hope we blow out his knee and end his ****ing carrer, the douche bag sissy bitch.

BWillie
12-17-2006, 09:41 PM
Because one of our defenders touched it past the line of scrimmage. It's that easy. Think of the tons of times a punt is tipped and it only goes 30 yards. If someone bobbled it on the return team, it's fair grabs. I know it sucks, but thats the rule. What is worse is our defense was too discombobulated to defend the run and we let up a 85 yarder on the next play. THat was dispicable

chief52
12-17-2006, 09:48 PM
The officials made the correct call. It is not that complex. The Chiefs touched the ball beyond the LOS. The ball is live. Who ever recovers it is going to have a first and ten. San Diego recovered. First and ten. You do not have to reach the line to gain in this situation.

Seen it before...guarantee you it is the correct call. I have made the call in a college game myself. The linesman stays on the LOS until the ball crossed the LOS just for this call.

ChiefsFire
12-17-2006, 09:55 PM
its called the rules of football asshat....it works both ways

KrazyKorean4
12-17-2006, 10:10 PM
its called the rules of football asshat....it works both ways
Ass hat? Psh, what the **** is that? I know it's rule of the game, but they should make it so that they have to get past the marker, because that was their first down marker, 5 yards in front of the guy. It shouldn't matter if he recovers, it should mater where he recovers it. He didn't get past the marker anyway. That is flawed, and they need to change that.

Count Alex's Losses
12-17-2006, 10:26 PM
We are cursed.

Oh Snap
12-17-2006, 10:30 PM
we ****ed ourselves over on that one. The defender should have had that ball. It was right there in his hands. He ****ed that on up on his own.

38yrsfan
12-17-2006, 10:37 PM
That "rule" is slanted to the offense. If it had been a fumble on 4th down then it wouldn't matter how many Chiefs touched it and the Chargers then recover it and don't have 1st down yardage, Chiefs ball.

So what about this situation; Chiefs get a hand on the ball, it goes past the 1st down marker, Chargers recover with no more Chiefs touching it - Chargers ball, 1st and 10?

Seems lame and offers no incentive to attempt a block.

Rain Man
12-17-2006, 10:45 PM
Next 4th and 25, I think Colquitt should try to nail a defender in the face with a punt. It appears to be a worthwhile strategy to attempt.

banyon
12-17-2006, 10:52 PM
I've changed my opinion. It was the right call. For people who remember it, think of that Leon Lett play against the Dolphins on Thanksgiving when all of the defenders were waving him off of the ball in the snow that he slid into and the Doplhins recovered. Cowgirls fans were probably even more pissed than us, because they had a good team.

Cochise
12-17-2006, 10:56 PM
It was no different than if Dante had touched the ball and san diego recovered.

Crashride
12-17-2006, 11:00 PM
It is different because the kick was blocked its not like it got up in the air first

Cochise
12-17-2006, 11:03 PM
It is different because the kick was blocked its not like it got up in the air first

It passed the line of scrimmage so once the receiving team touches it, it's a live ball.

Oh Snap
12-17-2006, 11:04 PM
doesnt matter. We wouldnt have scored anyways.

redngold85
12-17-2006, 11:05 PM
still pissed me off....regardless of whether or not it's a rule

that could only have happened to the Chiefs...

Crashride
12-17-2006, 11:07 PM

True...that being said when the **** are we going to start page and pollard...even madden was suggesting it

suds79
12-17-2006, 11:11 PM
Yeah we got f*cked.

The NFL has to seriously look into that rule and get it changed because a team was punished for making a good play.

I'm really trying to remember when I've seen a bigger bu!!sh!t call than that.

... Nope. Can't do it.

beer bacon
12-17-2006, 11:23 PM
It was no different than if Dante had touched the ball and san diego recovered.

In letter, no. In spirit, yes.

jcroft
12-17-2006, 11:42 PM
I absolutey think it was the right call and I'm not blaming the refs here. But I do think they should look into that rule and consider changing it from "when a defender touches the ball past the LOS..." to "when a defender touches the ball past the first down marker..."

Like beer bacon said -- in spirit, that play sucked. We blocked a punt. Yes, Ross should have pounced on the ball and not tried to pick it up and run. But we stopped them from getting a first down, plain and simple. They got a first down...without getting a first down. That doesn't make sense.

It was the right call according to the rules, but the rule sucks.

cmh6476
12-18-2006, 12:22 AM
I've changed my opinion. It was the right call. For people who remember it, think of that Leon Lett play against the Dolphins on Thanksgiving when all of the defenders were waving him off of the ball in the snow that he slid into and the Doplhins recovered. Cowgirls fans were probably even more pissed than us, because they had a good team.
yeah i noticed the SD guy right away pointed as if they had the ball. It sucks it had to go that way and i agree they shouldnt be awarded a 1st for that crap. I think the Chiefs should have established position if the ball hasnt crossed the 1st downmarker. or something :shrug:

Ugly Duck
12-18-2006, 12:24 AM
We are cursed.

I said to myself... "Dang! That was just like a Raider play!"

Nightwish
12-18-2006, 12:30 AM
Because one of our defenders touched it past the line of scrimmage. It's that easy. Think of the tons of times a punt is tipped and it only goes 30 yards. If someone bobbled it on the return team, it's fair grabs. I know it sucks, but thats the rule. What is worse is our defense was too discombobulated to defend the run and we let up a 85 yarder on the next play. THat was dispicableI would like to see a clarification on that rule, actually. I know that it applies to kickoffs, and to punts that haven't been touched behind the line of scrimmage, but I was always under the impression that if it gets touched (blocked) first behind the line of scrimmage, it negates that rule, so that if the ball does roll past the line of scrimmage after that, if the player from the receiving team touches it but doesn't gain possession, it gets blown dead at the spot of the contact (the ball can only be advanced in the direction of the kick). I'm pretty sure I've seen it called that way before.

macdawg
12-18-2006, 12:40 AM
"Because one of our defenders touched it past the line of scrimmage. It's that easy."

I agree. However, they did explain it bad on TV. They said the Chiefs player fumbled that ball, and he never had possession. They should have simply said he touched it past the line of scrimmage.

I'll be honest that play, and LT's 85 yard run afterwards had my blood boiling.

Ugly Duck
12-18-2006, 12:47 AM
I would like to see a clarification on that rule, actually. I know that it applies to kickoffs, and to punts that haven't been touched behind the line of scrimmage, but I was always under the impression that if it gets touched (blocked) first behind the line of scrimmage, it negates that rule, so that if the ball does roll past the line of scrimmage after that, if the player from the receiving team touches it but doesn't gain possession, it gets blown dead at the spot of the contact (the ball can only be advanced in the direction of the kick). I'm pretty sure I've seen it called that way before.

Thats what I thought until this game. Kinda like you can't call PI if a pass is tipped. I was totally blown away by the reversal of possession..... but then, I'm used to being blown away by weird calls....

Demonpenz
12-18-2006, 12:49 AM
it's pretty sad we have to call for rule changes because our players are morons

Oucho Cinco
12-18-2006, 12:59 AM
"Because one of our defenders touched it past the line of scrimmage. It's that easy."

I agree. However, they did explain it bad on TV. They said the Chiefs player fumbled that ball, and he never had possession. They should have simply said he touched it past the line of scrimmage.

I'll be honest that play, and LT's 85 yard run afterwards had my blood boiling.

I thought that the team recovering the ball had to do so beyond the first down marker, not beyond the line of scrimmage. I'm sure we all remember portions of the rule book, but this one rule, if called correctly, needs to be reviewed by the rules committee. You should not be able to get a first down without crossing the original first down marker.

KChiefer
12-18-2006, 04:24 AM
I was at the party and was so pissed about this call. There was no sound so I couldn't get any word on wtf happened. I assumed because we touched itbeyong the LOS and got Fed. It's the right call, but COME ON WTF. They don't need the LTG even though we never possessed the ball?

PS: I chose to post here instead of tat Rump Ranger ass new chargers fans thread cause that shit has no place here. And it's only time until they get bounced too. And rather than LT getting hurt, I hope your ass gets hit by a MACK truck u Fing Punk Ass!

If those punks win it all I'll never post here again. I know that means crap since I'm new here. I only say it cause it won't happen. GL Chargers! Go jump in a short Sandy Faggity Bottom!!

KChiefer
12-18-2006, 04:29 AM
it's pretty sad we have to call for rule changes because our players are morons
Why was he a moron. If you were him, would you have made a play at the ball?

Yeah, I thought so.

Short Leash Hootie
12-18-2006, 06:56 AM
Very true.

penguinz
12-18-2006, 07:14 AM
People should be more pissed about the non-call on the blatent hold on LT's TD run the next play.

boogblaster
12-18-2006, 07:19 AM
That is a f*cked up rule..that probably changed the whole game..we were starting to take over the game till that punt....

Skip Towne
12-18-2006, 07:26 AM
I was at the party and was so pissed about this call. There was no sound so I couldn't get any word on wtf happened. I assumed because we touched itbeyong the LOS and got Fed. It's the right call, but COME ON WTF. They don't need the LTG even though we never possessed the ball?

PS: I chose to post here instead of tat Rump Ranger ass new chargers fans thread cause that shit has no place here. And it's only time until they get bounced too. And rather than LT getting hurt, I hope your ass gets hit by a MACK truck u Fing Punk Ass!

If those punks win it all I'll never post here again. I know that means crap since I'm new here. I only say it cause it won't happen. GL Chargers! Go jump in a short Sandy Faggity Bottom!!
Oh noes!! How will we ever replace your 49 posts?

Easy 6
12-18-2006, 07:52 AM
Sad to say it was the right call.

If i want to look for positives here, its that Pollard is a rising star. I keep hearing that his speed might not be up to par, but he's always one of the 1st guys down in kick coverage. Hopefully he gets the mental part (of coverage) down next year & he can negate any lack of speed by taking the correct angles & developing his instincts as well.

I for one am already over last night & now look to the future with optimism. There is some solid young talent here & more to come, while i understand the calls for a complete rebuild, i still dont think it necessary.

Frankie
12-18-2006, 09:51 AM
Technically the call was correct. If the punt goes past the LOS it doesn't matter if it is a yard or 50 yards downfield. If a member of the receiving team touches it it is live. However I think they should change the rule so that the ball has to travel at least 10 yards before it can be live by being touched. Such a rule would have rewarded us for the good play and penalized therm for the poor one, instead of the other way around.

Frankie
12-18-2006, 09:55 AM
However I think they should change the rule so that the ball has to travel at least 10 yards before it can be live by being touched. Such a rule would have rewarded us for the good play and penalized therm for the poor one, instead of the other way around.
But once they adjust the rule like that, watch for us to have our punt blocked and not get the benefit of the current rule. It always seems to go against us and for the other team. In fact, except for the wierd ending in Cleveland a few years ago, I don't recall an obscure rule ever going in favor of the Chiefs! :banghead:

Uncle_Ted
12-18-2006, 10:21 AM
I would like to see a clarification on that rule, actually. I know that it applies to kickoffs, and to punts that haven't been touched behind the line of scrimmage, but I was always under the impression that if it gets touched (blocked) first behind the line of scrimmage, it negates that rule, so that if the ball does roll past the line of scrimmage after that, if the player from the receiving team touches it but doesn't gain possession, it gets blown dead at the spot of the contact (the ball can only be advanced in the direction of the kick). I'm pretty sure I've seen it called that way before.

I always thought that was the rule too.

Rules Committee ... get your butts in gear and get this fixed!

Uncle_Ted
12-18-2006, 10:27 AM
People should be more pissed about the non-call on the blatent hold on LT's TD run the next play.

I noticed that too ... our guy got completely spun around 180 for chrissakes! During the entire play I was pissed that we let him go for the 85-yd TD, but not that pissed because I assumed it would get called back. Pathetic for Madden and Michaels to not even question whether that should have been called (or maybe they did ... once I realized there was no flag I was so livid that I might have missed it if they did discuss it).

Frankie
12-18-2006, 12:15 PM
How about our D guy tackling the ball out of their guy's hand AFTER A RECEPTION?! "Football move" my ass! The announcers were going on and on about the receiver not having made a "Footbal move" after the catch. It was A FUMBLE!

FAX
12-18-2006, 12:19 PM
How about our D guy tackling the ball out of their guy AFTER A RECEPTION. "Football move" my ass! The announcers were going on and on about the receiver not having made a "Footbal move" after the catch.

In a desperate and futile attempt to regain my sanity, I looked this one up, Mr. Frankie.

Apparently, a "football move" includes things like stretching for the first down, taking a step, juking, etc. However, another "football move" is falling out of bounds in cases where the receiver catches the rock, taps his toes, and falls beyond the sidelines. In other words, catches the ball and plants both feet.

The NFL has become over-regulated. There are far too many "judgement" calls in the rule book for my taste.

FAX

MahiMike
12-18-2006, 12:27 PM
It's known as the Leon Lett rule. Any team stupid enough to touch the ball when not needed deserves what they get.

Oh Snap
12-18-2006, 12:43 PM
I really wish they would change that rule. Atleast to where the offense picks the ball up at. Basically makeing them do a repunt if they cant get past the firts down mark. But whats done is done. We wouldnt make the playoffs even if we would have won.