PDA

View Full Version : Lamar Hunt services in Dallas

Monty
12-17-2006, 10:30 PM
We decided to attend the funeral....err, Celebration of Life services for Lamar yesterday at the SMU campus. It was a very special day and the services were very well done. We were lucky enough to sit up in the 1st row of the balcony on the left side of the services, so we had a bird's eye view of all the attendees. We were just to the left of the stage and we were very close to not only the stage, but to the people sitting just below us. We were literally 50 feet away from the folks sitting on the left side and it was literally a Who's who of NFL executives. Just below us were: Carl Peterson, and his wife, Jack Steadman, Robert Craft, Ozzie Newsome, Roger Goodel, Paul Tagliabue, Bud Adams, Daniel Snyder, Jerry Jones and his wife, as well as Clark Hunt, Norma Hunt, and the rest of the Hunt family. There may have been more, but that was just the group sitting the closest to us. It was a very nice ceremony and I found it very intimidating when I thought about the amount of money these ppl had, but at the same time, it was exciting in a way to be so close to these ppl. I had expected more fans to be there to pay respect to Lamar as we had done, but I believe that we were the only people who wore anything Chiefs related.
At one point, Carl Peterson looked up at us and smiled. I smiled back and waved....he returned the gesture. He smiled at Clark Hunt when Clark was done with his speech, but Clark didn't even look at him and Carl kind of had a disappointed look on his face, so take that for it's worth, but Carl and Clark do not seem to be on good terms IMO.

One story that I thought was interesting: Sheila decided to use the restroom before we took our seats. When we sat down, she told me that one of the ladies in the restroom told her that she was glad that she wore something Chiefs related, as that was something that Lamar would have really appreciated. Once the family had taken their seats, Sheila noticed that it was Norma(Lamar's wife) who had told her that, so I found that to be very nice. :) Also, during Jack Steadman's speech, he said that Lamar's last words to him were "Go Chiefs!!"

I'm glad that we attended and were able to show our respect for Lamar. Over 1000 people attended and I'm glad that we were able to show our support for Lamar. :)

dirk digler
12-17-2006, 10:32 PM
Thanks for sharing your story Monty and thank you for representing those of us that couldn't be there.

Monty
12-17-2006, 10:41 PM
Thanks for sharing your story Monty and thank you for representing those of us that couldn't be there.

Not a problem. I couldn't imagine not being there. It was a very sad experience, but one that I wouldn't have missed for anything. :thumb:

Archie F. Swin
12-18-2006, 07:57 AM
Not a problem. I couldn't imagine not being there. It was a very sad experience, but one that I wouldn't have missed for anything. :thumb:

Which jersey did you wear? ;)

Dallas Chief
12-18-2006, 08:58 AM
NBC ran the story about it. I saw you on TV at the service wearing red. Lamar would have been happy to see that. Nice touch my friend...

Iowanian
12-18-2006, 09:01 AM
I think its a little creepy that you took your autograph pad to a funeral.

sportsman1
12-18-2006, 12:16 PM
I was there to I had my chiefs jacket on over dress clothes.

Redrum_69
12-18-2006, 12:26 PM
"Also, during Jack Steadman's speech, he said that Lamar's last words to him were "Go Chiefs!!"

This statement alone...powerful.

Monty
12-18-2006, 12:48 PM
"Also, during Jack Steadman's speech, he said that Lamar's last words to him were "Go Chiefs!!"

This statement alone...powerful.

Yeah, no kidding. I still get goosebumps!

Sandyskc
12-18-2006, 01:59 PM
Thanks for posting. I would love to attend the service in KC tomorrow, but my company has me out of town this week. I wish it had been scheduled either in the evening or on the weekend.

Archie F. Swin
12-18-2006, 03:54 PM
"Also, during Jack Steadman's speech, he said that Lamar's last words to him were "GoChiefs!!"

Oh lord, as if his ego wasn't big enough!
:harumph: