PDA

View Full Version : Whitlock: The "Best RB" debate is over

tk13
12-18-2006, 01:12 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/football/nfl/kansas_city_chiefs/16264441.htm

Best back becomes obvious
JASON WHITLOCK
COMMENTARY
Kansas City Star

SAN DIEGO | The LJ and LT comparisons can stop now.

Larry Johnson is a very good running back. LaDainian Tomlinson is one of the five best backs weíve ever seen, and with each record he sets, he makes his head coach, Marty Schottenheimer, look like a prophet.

LT just might be the Muhammad Ali of running backs, the greatest of all time. The candidates, in no particular order, are: Earl Campbell, Jim Brown, Walter Payton, Barry Sanders and Tomlinson.

Right now, I wouldnít consider LT the best, but Iím willing to entertain the possibility.

On a night when San Diegoís quarterback, Philip Rivers, played like a first-year starter, Tomlinson took on Kansas Cityís 11 defenders and put together a 199-yard, two-TD performance, leading the Chargers to a 20-9 victory that all but eliminated the Chiefs, 7-7, from the AFC playoff picture.

If there was ever much of a debate about who was the better running back ó Johnson or Tomlinson ó the question was answered rather definitively Sunday night at Qualcomm Stadium.

Johnson came into the game leading Tomlinson in rushing yards. When it was over, Johnson trailed Tomlinson by more than 100. Johnson didnít play poorly, by his standards. He grinded out 84 yards on the ground and averaged a little more than 4 yards per carry.

But heís simply nowhere near as complete a football player as Tomlinson.

LT is a home-run hitter. He pretty much ended the game late in the second quarter, ripping off an 85-yard touchdown run one play after the Chiefs thought theyíd blocked a punt and put themselves back in the game.

KC reserve safety Bernard Pollard did block San Diegoís punt. However, the fine play was ruined when the ball sailed just past the line of scrimmage and Derrick Ross foolishly tried to scoop it up. Ross got one hand on the ball, and then San Diegoís David Binn fell on the loose ball.

Instead of having the ball at the San Diego 15 trailing 7-3, the next time KCís offense took the field, the Chiefs were down 14-3. The longest run of LTís career killed KCís momentum and 2006 season.

Tomlinson landed the knockout blow when he followed fullback Lorenzo Neal on a simple isolation play off left tackle. Tomlinson motored down the Kansas City sideline untouched.

LT is nearly as shifty as Barry Sanders. Heís as explosive as Bo Jackson. He stiff-arms as well as Walter Payton. He runs with Marcus Allenís intelligence. And heís as fast as he needs to be.

Oh, and LT is rewriting the NFL recordbook. He tacked on three more records Sunday night. He broke Paul Hornungís single-season scoring record. Hornung set the record in 12 games, scoring 15 touchdowns, kicking extra points and field goals. LT now has 186 points in 14 games. His 28 rushing TDs are a new standard. In eight straight games, heís scored at least two TDs.

The multiple-TD streak is incredible. Defenses are stacked to stop him. Rivers is having a nice season, but he doesnít scare defensive coordinators. Neither do San Diegoís receivers.

Kansas Cityís defense needed to do one thing Sunday night: stop Tomlinson. The Chiefs couldnít do it.

On Tomlinsonís first touchdown ó a 15-yarder ó Patrick Surtain had Tomlinson positioned perfectly. I never once thought Surtain would make the tackle. Thatís not a statement about Surtain. Itís a statement about how unlikely it is for one man to stop LT.

If Gale Sayers ran with power, he would have been an early version of Tomlinson.

Can Johnson ever be as good as Tomlinson?

No. Johnson is a tremendous power runner. Heís what Jamal Lewis used to be in Baltimore. But for as much as Johnson studies film of the great running backs, Iím not sure heís all that interested in being a complete back. He whiffed on two critical blocks in pass protection early in the game. (He did a better job in the second half.) Johnson refuses to carry the ball in his left arm, which prevents him from straight-arming with his right arm.

Johnson is a very good player. Heís just not LaDainian Tomlison, a once-in-a-lifetime running back.

CupidStunt
12-18-2006, 01:52 AM
It was never in question.

However, LT only looks so much better because of his line. It was the exact opposite last year when LJ averaged 5.1 per carry to LT's 3.9 or whatever it was.

mrub4
12-18-2006, 02:06 AM
I bet LJ could do just as good as LT behind San Diego's line. LT was practically untouched most of the game... I probably could have rattled off 100 yards rushing behind SD's line tonight and I haven't ran in probably 6 years

elvomito
12-18-2006, 02:07 AM
LT reminds me of priest holmes. Only difference is, Priest wasn't as durable.

However, in LJ's 6th year as a starter, I predict JWhit will be writing a similar column about him. Afterall, LT wasn't the "best ever" for the last 5 years right? it all of a sudden happened this year.
they'll be the "best team ever to never win a superbowl"

tk13
12-18-2006, 02:12 AM
The most staggering number... is that in Tomlinson's last 8 games, he has 185 carries, 1153 yards, and 23 total touchdowns. That is unbelievable. That's also a 6.2 ypc. I can't even do that in Madden.

elvomito
12-18-2006, 02:15 AM
LT is correct about one thing, its a total team effort. his line and WRs definately do their job. IMO he's doing his best impression of our team with Priest at his prime. Same thing... you knew who was gonna get the ball but there was nothin you could do to stop it.

tk13
12-18-2006, 02:23 AM
You know, that's something else that probably gets overlooked. Our line isn't as good, and we never had great WR's, but the ones we had could run block. Morton, Boerigter... Chris Horn. I'm not sure Kennison, Parker, and Hall are quite as good. SD doesn't have great WR's but they're big guys who can run block. Those are the little things you don't really think about.

KurtCobain
12-18-2006, 03:35 AM
You know, that's something else that probably gets overlooked. Our line isn't as good, and we never had great WR's, but the ones we had could run block. Morton, Boerigter... Chris Horn. I'm not sure Kennison, Parker, and Hall are quite as good. SD doesn't have great WR's but they're big guys who can run block. Those are the little things you don't really think about.

Thought about it, and I agree.

Short Leash Hootie
12-18-2006, 05:54 AM
Here's a difference:

Neal.

Man, he was a beast last night...

We had that in Tony Richardson but Carl foolishly let him sign in Minnesota.

Short Leash Hootie
12-18-2006, 05:55 AM
LT reminds me of priest holmes. Only difference is, Priest wasn't as durable.

However, in LJ's 6th year as a starter, I predict JWhit will be writing a similar column about him. Afterall, LT wasn't the "best ever" for the last 5 years right? it all of a sudden happened this year.
they'll be the "best team ever to never win a superbowl"
No way.

LT >>>> Priest

It's not even a debate.

boogblaster
12-18-2006, 06:28 AM
Last nite still didnt compare backs..1 85 yard run our D coughed up and both would have been equal..that said LT is a all-around great back..LJ is a great power-back..two different kinds of RBs....

Skip Towne
12-18-2006, 06:41 AM
Last nite still didnt compare backs..1 85 yard run our D coughed up and both would have been equal..that said LT is a all-around great back..LJ is a great power-back..two different kinds of RBs....
Yep. And even though LJ averages 4.8 ypc to LT's 4.4, the difference would be even greater if LJ got to run against our defense.

BreesLightning
12-18-2006, 07:24 AM

Geez, what a bunch of ****ing homers on this board. 85 yards minus 199 still equals 114. LJ had a grand total of 84.

Heck, LT gained more yards than LJ on that one run alone.

You dumb****s can continue to argue this among yourselves. It's obvious to the rest of the planet who the best RB in the league is and that includes the who the best "pure"(as you idiots like to refer to it)runner is as well as the best "overall" back.

Carry on homers....

HonestChieffan
12-18-2006, 07:28 AM
The part Whitlock left out....LT is a very nice and very unassuming humble man. LJ is a turd of a human, hes a jerk with an attitude. One is a team player one is all about himself.

Short Leash Hootie
12-18-2006, 07:29 AM
Geez, what a bunch of ****ing homers on this board. 85 yards minus 199 still equals 114. LJ had a grand total of 84.

You dumb****s can continue to argue this among yourselves. It's obvious to the rest of the planet who the best RB in the league is and that includes the who the best "pure"(as you idiots like to refer to it)runner is as well as the best "overall" back.

Carry on homers....
Nice handle...

By the way...

LT >> LJ

But seriously, do you really expect us to just suck his dick nonstop?! He's on a ****ing "rival" team -- and I quote that because I really don't consider the Chargers a "rival" team...they've only had a fan base for 3 years or so.

Short Leash Hootie
12-18-2006, 07:30 AM
The part Whitlock left out....LT is a very nice and very unassuming humble man. LJ is a turd of a human, hes a jerk with an attitude. One is a team player one is all about himself.
you're an idiot

stevieray
12-18-2006, 07:50 AM
I thought this thread was about Priest.

HonestChieffan
12-18-2006, 07:51 AM
Is there a college in Normal Illinois? Grab your tinfoil hat, guard against reality.

StcChief
12-18-2006, 08:10 AM
Is there a college in Normal Illinois? Grab your tinfoil hat, guard against reality.

Your could google it unless your to lazy.... :rolleyes:

Illinois State University.

Short Leash Hootie
12-18-2006, 08:13 AM
Your could google it unless your to lazy.... :rolleyes:

Illinois State University.
he already knows that...his first friggin' post on this site was to tell me to go to the McDonald's that's about a block away from where I live...kind of freaked me out in all honesty.

HonestChieffan
12-18-2006, 08:41 AM
ISU....where people go who can't get into U of I.

Braincase
12-18-2006, 08:53 AM

Carry on homers....

At the end of the day, Marty is still your coach...

jidar
12-18-2006, 12:09 PM

That's a pile of bullshit.
You I mean.
Your post sucks too.

The Big Lebowski
12-18-2006, 12:26 PM
Not to offend any of the homers here, but was this even a debate anywhere except KC? I think just about everyone else knew it was Tomlinson. Although I can see an argument being made for Tiki prior to this season. LJ has had basically one monster 1/2 season last year and a very good season so far this year. LT has been dominant for 3, 4 years now.

Rausch
12-18-2006, 12:28 PM
No. 2 ain't too shabby...

noa
12-18-2006, 12:29 PM
Not to offend any of the homers here, but was this even a debate anywhere except KC? I think just about everyone else knew it was Tomlinson. Although I can see an argument being made for Tiki prior to this season. LJ has had basically one monster 1/2 season last year and a very good season so far this year. LT has been dominant for 3, 4 years now.

I don't think there was any serious debate. Earlier this year on Cold Pizza, Larry Johnson said he thinks LT is the better running back, so that pretty much ends the debate right there. If even he can admit it, I think the fans can admit it.

J Diddy
12-18-2006, 12:43 PM
At the end of the day, Marty is still your coach...

exactly, enjoy having home field and then losing in the first round of the playoffs

Chargeroo
12-18-2006, 12:47 PM
It was never in question.

However, LT only looks so much better because of his line. It was the exact opposite last year when LJ averaged 5.1 per carry to LT's 3.9 or whatever it was.
LMAO - that's exactly what we were saying last year and I think there's truth to it. No RB ever did well without some decent blocking. I also think you guys miss Richardson's blocking. Look at how much the Vikings running game improved after they signed Richardson. Neal is the unsung hero of the Bolts. Sometimes we forget what a team game football really is.

I think your defense deserves a lot of credit for stopping the Chargers passing game last night. That's the best anyone has slowed down Rivers all year long. It seemed they knew when he was going to pass. Your offense let them down but that defense played hard all night. That's something you can build on.

Halfcan
12-18-2006, 02:00 PM
Every running back the Chargers put in there dominated us. Turner looked lik,e an even better back than LT. We had to gang tackle him with 5 guys on every play.

Anybody that thinks Walter Payton was not the Best ever-just doesnt know shit about football.

Chiefnj
12-18-2006, 02:27 PM
Every running back the Chargers put in there dominated us. Turner looked lik,e an even better back than LT. We had to gang tackle him with 5 guys on every play.

That was very annoying to watch. The SD back would run into a pile. Several Chief players would stand around and watch as the back started to carry the small pile and then they would jump in after the guy gained another 3 yards. The Ravens and Chargers don't tackle like that.

cgchief
12-18-2006, 03:42 PM
Here's a difference:

Neal.

Man, he was a beast last night...

We had that in Tony Richardson but Carl foolishly let him sign in Minnesota.

Exactly.....if we had Tony back with a decent line. All hell would break loose.

suds79
12-18-2006, 04:05 PM

Anybody that thinks Walter Payton was not the Best ever-just doesnt know shit about football.

You can't have "Turner looked like an even better back than LT" and "anybody at that things Walter Payton was not the best ever-just doesn't know shit about football" all in the same post.

O line or not, as much as it hurts me to say it, LJ isn't near the complete player as LT.

Running the ball, very close.

But pass blocking and receiving, it's not even close.

I just get the feeling that barring injury, when LT retires, he'll be regarded as the best ever.

Calcountry
12-18-2006, 04:07 PM
There is a huge difference between LJ and LT. When LJ is running with one man to beat, rather than try to outrun him or fake him he tries to run through him. Manytimes it leads to a tackle. IOW, LJ is too vain or too stupid to use his talent and finish the deal and score on his long runs.

Last year? Since LJ broke one to the house, and if I remember them, the hole was so Huge Tony Gonzales could have scored on it.

Deberg_1990
12-18-2006, 04:23 PM
To be fair, the defense LT played against last night was alot softer than the one LJ went up against.

LT is still the more complete back though. I love his pass catching skillz.