PDA

View Full Version : Say what you want, but Herm brought us balance!

Bob Dole
12-18-2006, 03:08 PM
Herm said repeatedly that we needed to have more balance to help the defense. To that end:

We've lowered our average time of possession from 32:09 per game to 30:03! Which of course, puts our opponents at 29:57. A difference of only 6 seconds. Balance!

We've run 872 offensive plays for an average gain of 5.1 yards, while limiting our opponents to 869 and an average gain of 5.2 yards. Balance!

We're averaging 4.2 yards per rushing play and our opponents are averaging 4.1. 1/10th of a yard difference is some serious balance!

Here is the astounding part.

We're 22 for 28 on field goal attempts, while our opponents are 22 for 28 on field goal attempts.

We've scored 30 touchdowns, while out opponents have scored 30 touchdowns.

And we all know that 7-7 is as balanced as you can get without being 8-8.

Herm should be proud of the progress he's made this year.

ROYC75
12-18-2006, 03:14 PM
W O W

Skip Towne
12-18-2006, 03:19 PM
Lincoln had a secretary named Kennedy. Kennedy had a secretary named Lincoln. And, amazingly, it got dark at night for both of them.

tk13
12-18-2006, 03:23 PM
Dick and Herm both have four letters.

Vermeil and Edwards both have 7 letters.

Herm has a secretary named Vermeil. Vermeil has a secretary named Herm.

Dick went from Kansas City to tend to his winery. Herm came to Kansas City to escape all the whinery.

htismaqe
12-18-2006, 03:27 PM
ROFL

Excellent work!

Baby Lee
12-18-2006, 03:28 PM
Lincoln had a secretary named Kennedy. Kennedy had a secretary named Lincoln. And, amazingly, it got dark at night for both of them.
First thing I thought to post.

Bob Dole
12-18-2006, 03:56 PM
Bob Dole is most impressed with the shift in focus from scoring to controlling the clock to keep our defense off the field of play.

DTLB58
12-18-2006, 04:21 PM
Herm said repeatedly that we needed to have more balance to help the defense. To that end:

We've lowered our average time of possession from 32:09 per game to 30:03! Which of course, puts our opponents at 29:57. A difference of only 6 seconds. Balance!

We've run 872 offensive plays for an average gain of 5.1 yards, while limiting our opponents to 869 and an average gain of 5.2 yards. Balance!

We're averaging 4.2 yards per rushing play and our opponents are averaging 4.1. 1/10th of a yard difference is some serious balance!

Here is the astounding part.

We're 22 for 28 on field goal attempts, while our opponents are 22 for 28 on field goal attempts.

We've scored 30 touchdowns, while out opponents have scored 30 touchdowns.

And we all know that 7-7 is as balanced as you can get without being 8-8.

Herm should be proud of the progress he's made this year.

I don't get it, Where is the good in this? We could finish 3 games worse than last year. What good is balance when it's the same as your opponents?

We WILL finish with a worse record this year (7-9,8-8 or 9-7 than last year (10-6).

New Coaches, New players,New scheme.......Same result. Home for the playoffs. :shake:

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-18-2006, 04:25 PM
Bob Dole is most impressed with the shift in focus from scoring to controlling the clock to keep our defense off the field of play.

Funny how going 3 and out kills your TOP.

Discuss Thrower
12-18-2006, 04:25 PM
Even better: We hire a HC away from a team that makes the playoffs with a ROOKIE REPLACEMENT.

HemiEd
12-18-2006, 04:27 PM
So basically we sacrificed the Offense in order to elevate the Defense to mediocre?

I can't wait to hear next years strategy.

Skip Towne
12-18-2006, 04:27 PM
You keep your defense off the field by lowering your time of possession? Duh!

Baby Lee
12-18-2006, 04:30 PM
I don't get it, Where is the good in this? We could finish 3 games worse than last year. What good is balance when it's the same as your opponents?

We WILL finish with a worse record this year (7-9,8-8 or 9-7 than last year (10-6).

New Coaches, New players,New scheme.......Same result. Home for the playoffs. :shake:
Anyone got the RMA for DTLB58's sarcasmeter?

Baconeater
12-18-2006, 04:37 PM
Thank god for the shining beacon of optimism that is Bob Dole.

FAX
12-18-2006, 04:38 PM
5 pounds of soggy, stinking, excrement equals 5 pounds of stale lizard pee.

The world around.

FAX

Skip Towne
12-18-2006, 04:46 PM
Even better: We hire a HC away from a team that makes the playoffs with a ROOKIE REPLACEMENT.
John Blake left Bob Stoops a pretty fair group of players at OU when he got fired. Stoops started moving WR's to DB's and DB's to RB's. And won the NC the next year with the same players playing different positions. Almost the same thing happened to Daugherty at North Carolina. He had a group of players who hated himand they didn't win much. Enter Roy Williams and they win it all the next year. With the same players. Those type of things tend to make a coach look bad. Uh-huh! Blake is now an O-line coach at Nebraska. I don't know what happened to Daugherty but I would only hire him to sell insurance. I hate to say it but we might be watching it happen to Bill Self.

Baconeater
12-18-2006, 04:49 PM
John Blake left Bob Stoops a pretty fair group of players at OU when he got fired. Stoops started moving WR's to DB's and DB's to RB's. And won the NC the next year with the same players playing different positions. Almost the same thing happened to Daugherty at North Carolina. He had a group of players who hated himand they didn't win much. Enter Roy Williams and they win it all the next year. With the same players. Those type of things tend to make a coach look bad. Uh-huh! Blake is now an O-line coach at Nebraska. I don't know what happened to Daugherty but I would only hire him to sell insurance. I hate to say it but we might be watching it happen to Bill Self.
Was the d-line coach here. He accepted an offer to be DC at North Carolina last week.

Bob Dole
12-18-2006, 05:09 PM
There must have been some sarcasm meters that met a dinner plate fate during the Cleveland game.

Discuss Thrower
12-18-2006, 05:30 PM

Only one player got switched from one position: Kris Wilson. And that was only because he was the closest thing we got to an H-Back on this team.

Players don't account for bad clock management and PISS poor playcalling.

"All I want for Christmas is to wake up in 2011, which will hopefully be the start of a new HCs' tenure."

FringeNC
12-18-2006, 05:42 PM

What's more important than time of possession is the number of offensive snaps you take vs. the number you face. Ironically, Mr. Control-the-ball Edwards was always near the bottom of the league in number of offensive snaps taken while with the Jets.

I think some go overboard on the amount of blame Herm should take for the offensive collapse. He should take a fair amount, but the line does suck. That's on Carl. Having said that, I can't stand listening to Herm preaching about how to win games is by playing not to lose, and trying to steal games in the 4th quarter. **** that, that shit works about once every twenty years. And when it does, all the old-school ****ers go "I told ya so". Evidently, the Marty coaching tree's one SB championship ****ing proves Martyball is the only legitimate strategy to use.

Skip Towne
12-18-2006, 06:11 PM
Only one player got switched from one position: Kris Wilson. And that was only because he was the closest thing we got to an H-Back on this team.

Players don't account for bad clock management and PISS poor playcalling.

"All I want for Christmas is to wake up in 2011, which will hopefully be the start of a new HCs' tenure."
Well, the Tulsa World must be full of shit then as they reported several players changing positions. Mostly among DB's, WR's and RB's but also some along the O and/or D lines. I don't follow OU that closely even though I live in Oklahoma. But it is hard to believe play calling and clock management are the difference between the outhouse and the penthouse. Be careful what you wish for, you might just get it. Have you ever heard of Gomer Jones? Woody Widenhofer? There are 10 guys out there like them for every Bob Stoops you can find. And I don't like the cocky little prick.

Bob Dole
12-18-2006, 06:32 PM
What's more important than time of possession is the number of offensive snaps you take vs. the number you face. Ironically, Mr. Control-the-ball Edwards was always near the bottom of the league in number of offensive snaps taken while with the Jets.

I think some go overboard on the amount of blame Herm should take for the offensive collapse. He should take a fair amount, but the line does suck. That's on Carl. Having said that, I can't stand listening to Herm preaching about how to win games is by playing not to lose, and trying to steal games in the 4th quarter. **** that, that shit works about once every twenty years. And when it does, all the old-school ****ers go "I told ya so". Evidently, the Marty coaching tree's one SB championship ****ing proves Martyball is the only legitimate strategy to use.

The offensive line has been a major issue for most of the year.

Coaching decisions haven't done a lot to minimize the impact, which is what good coaching staffs ought to attempt to do.

The whole "play for the 4th quarter" crap from training camp on just pisses Bob Dole off.

Discuss Thrower
12-18-2006, 06:57 PM
I 'm still befuddled by the position switching comment, but I'll tyr my best and simply say: Kansas City has neither the player talent to make those sorts of moves, nor has it the coaching intelligence to pull it off either. The only good move that's paid off has been using Bigfoot as a FB, but I wonder if Solari at least thought of using another player as more of a traditional FB when the situation warrants it. Maybe Scanlon, or Boomer? Do we have any DBs that can possibly fill in at WR if need be (nevermind, we didn't get production out of the other two guys at all). That being said, the NFL players aren't the multirole talents that college guys are. Or they don't want to be.

IMO, the main problems this year have been coaching blunders. Bad playcalling, not having the team prepared for road games, and not having the forsight to realize that 2/5 of the O-Line are 10+ year veterans that possibly might be injured for long periods of time. You can pin that to Carl as well, but if I were a coach, health and depth on both offensive and defensive lines would be my chief concern.

mlyonsd
12-18-2006, 07:08 PM
The whole "play for the 4th quarter" crap from training camp on just pisses Bob Dole off.

Somebody gets it. I'd vote for you again if I could.

F'Herm. F'Carl for hiring him.

cdcox
12-18-2006, 07:16 PM
A few more exclamation points and this could have been a chiefsfan1963 parody.

boogblaster
12-18-2006, 07:23 PM
Back to the Oline coaching box and hire a new OC just might help, with a few more Olinemen added too...the D. has improved and should improve more next season..its the O. that needs attention.....

Coach
12-18-2006, 07:29 PM
It's fanf**kingtastic awesome that KC hired a coach with enough brilliant perception to note that KC had failed the past 5 years, because the offense was too good. Glad he fixed that.

Skip Towne
12-18-2006, 08:31 PM
[QUOTE= Do we have any DBs that can possibly fill in at WR if need be[/QUOTE]
In the NFL, the definition of a CB is a WR who can't catch. As an authority on OU football, you should know that we have carried your own William Bartee on our roster for 5 years even though he wasn't NFL quality to begin with. Yes, he played both CB and S for OU but he hasn't the skills for either at the NFL level. In his 3 years as a starting CB for the Chiefs, he has amassed the same number of interceptions that I have. -0- So, to answer your question, no, we don't have excess talent at DB to convert to WR. The Patriots made that work for a short time and then rewarded the guy by cutting him. As for moving a LB to FB, I'm reminded of another OU player who flamed out big time in the NFL. It was about 5 years ago and the guy (a LB) was famous (to OU fans) for the "Superman Play". Do you remember him? The guy was so confident of his measurables that he skipped the combine and held his own workout in Norman. The Chiefs and a few other teams attended and he was drafted by the Packers. He couldn't crack their starting lineup for two seasons so they tried him at FB where he failed miseraby. Seattle didn't even give the great Brian Bosworth that much respect to move him to FB. These are great ideas you are coming up with. Keep trying. You will come up with an idea the Chiefs coaches haven't thought of. The Chiefs are just wasting their money paying these coaches 6 figures. They should just call you instead.

HermIsKing
12-18-2006, 08:36 PM
bob Dole is right, balance is the only way ot victory.

Coach
12-18-2006, 08:38 PM
ROFL

Aw shit....

FAX
12-18-2006, 08:39 PM
bob Dole is right, balance is the only way ot victory.

One thing I've learned is that Mr. Bob Dole is always right. His accuracy is celebrated throughout the Chiefs Kingdom.

Do you like your balance better on the offensive side or defensive side, Mr. HermIsKing?

FAX

HermIsKing
12-18-2006, 08:41 PM
balance on both sides is the right idea. Good teams do that. Herm has the right idea.,

FAX
12-18-2006, 08:44 PM
balance on both sides is the right idea. Good teams do that. Herm has the right idea.,

Couldn't agree more, Mr. HermIsKing. Herm just needs a little more time to get us going in the right direction.

It's taken a year for him to fix the offense and I suppose it will take a little more time for him to fix the defense and special teams even more. We just have to be patient.

FAX

Bob Dole
12-18-2006, 08:47 PM
In all honesty, Bob Dole was looking at the 2005 vs. 2006 stats because it has felt like we've settled for a lot more FG attempts this year, and just happened to notice the stuff listed here.

Being a big fan of Ms. Irony, the whole "offense has to help the defense" thing just seemed funny. (Not funny "ha ha" but instead, funny "sad".)

HermIsKing
12-18-2006, 08:48 PM
Herm will learn just like Marty did. Then we will be ready to win the Super Bowl too.

Halfcan
12-18-2006, 08:48 PM
You forgot about timeouts-some games he ends with all of them when he should have used a few and other games he burns them all for no good reason. Balance.

Herm is the poor mans version of Marty except dumber.

HermIsKing
12-18-2006, 08:51 PM
Herm is not dumb he prolly thinks you are dumb. Lots of coaches save their timeouts for when they neeed them in the 4th quarter.

HemiEd
12-18-2006, 08:52 PM
Couldn't agree more, Mr. HermIsKing. Herm just needs a little more time to get us going in the right direction.

It's taken a year for him to fix the offense and I suppose it will take a little more time for him to fix the defense and special teams even more. We just have to be patient.

FAX
ROFL

Bob Dole
12-18-2006, 08:55 PM
Herm is not dumb he prolly thinks you are dumb. Lots of coaches save their timeouts for when they neeed them in the 4th quarter.

Or when the other team is kneeling on the ball at the end of the first half.

HermIsKing
12-18-2006, 08:57 PM
They couldve had a bad snap BobDole

Oucho Cinco
12-18-2006, 08:59 PM

As does 85 yrds on a run or a pass for a TD.

Bob Dole
12-18-2006, 09:02 PM
They couldve had a bad snap BobDole

And pigs could fly out of Bob Dole's ass.

HermIsKing
12-18-2006, 09:06 PM
BobDole has never seen a bad snap ?

Halfcan
12-18-2006, 09:13 PM
Or when the other team is kneeling on the ball at the end of the first half.

Yep that could have been used to give the D a breather-but burned it for nothing.

We all knew Herm was terrible at game management before he came here-but I never thought he could be this bad.

Against the Ravens-it was 4th a one-season on the line and we punt for 20 yards.

Herm needs to go-take Solari and Gun with him.

HermIsKing
12-18-2006, 09:16 PM
Herm probably thinks you need to go. He hired Dick Curl who is doing a great job at game management. Muich better than when Herm was with Jets.

Bob Dole
12-18-2006, 09:17 PM
BobDole has never seen a bad snap ?

Bob Dole can't honestly recall a fumbled snap turnover on a kneel-down.

HermIsKing
12-18-2006, 09:18 PM
Herm had his reason for calling TO who are you to 2nd guess him.?

Coach
12-18-2006, 09:19 PM
Bob Dole can't honestly recall a fumbled snap turnover on a kneel-down.

Miracle of Meadowlands.

dirk digler
12-18-2006, 09:21 PM
So basically we sacrificed the Offense in order to elevate the Defense to mediocre?

That sums it up pretty good. Herm lied to us when he said he wasn't going to **** with the D. He pretty ****ed the veterans on this team.

FAX
12-18-2006, 09:22 PM
Miracle of Meadowlands.

Mr. HermIsKing may have a point.

Herm would remember that one, I suppose.

FAX

Logical
12-18-2006, 09:24 PM

New Coaches, New players,New scheme.......Same result. Home for the playoffs. :shake:ROFLROFLROFL

Oh you did not mean to be funny.

HermIsKing
12-18-2006, 09:28 PM
i got neg rep from Halfcan cuz he can spell better than me!

FAX
12-18-2006, 09:30 PM

That's just not right. And, you being a new poster and all. Mr. Halfcan is, apparently, a little quick on the trigger.

On behalf of the entire internet, allow me to apologize to you, Mr. HermIsKing.

FAX

HermIsKing
12-18-2006, 09:33 PM
thanks Fax i just feel Herm isnt geting a fair treatment hear.

Halfcan
12-18-2006, 09:53 PM

So who are you??-You must be someones secret identity-nobody is that dumb unless Quicksurfer is back.

HermIsKing
12-18-2006, 09:55 PM
You just said Herm is dumb. if all you can do is say I am dumb you shouldnt second guess him he knows better than you.

Halfcan
12-18-2006, 10:02 PM
You just said Herm is dumb. if all you can do is say I am dumb you shouldnt second guess him he knows better than you.

You are so right- I think you must be Red Rums retarded second cousin.

HermIsKing
12-18-2006, 10:12 PM
Thats right call me names, Herm will still come out on top

Baby Lee
12-19-2006, 08:19 AM
I'm reminded of another OU player who flamed out big time in the NFL. It was about 5 years ago and the guy (a LB) was famous (to OU fans) for the "Superman Play". Do you remember him? The guy was so confident of his measurables that he skipped the combine and held his own workout in Norman. The Chiefs and a few other teams attended and he was drafted by the Packers. He couldn't crack their starting lineup for two seasons so they tried him at FB where he failed miseraby.
Are you confused? Tell me right now, can you feel your left arm?
the "Superman Play" from about 5 years ago I recall was from Roy Williams on Chris Simms. He's doing decent and starting for the Cowboys.

http://espn-i.starwave.com/media/ncf/2001/1008/photo/a_simms_i.jpg

EDIT: Are you thinking of Husker Eric Crouch?

Bob Dole
12-19-2006, 09:22 AM
Miracle of Meadowlands.

Um... Wasn't that because the idiot tried to hand the ball off instead of just kneeling?

Predarat
12-19-2006, 09:38 AM
Good stuff, LOL!

Mr. Laz
12-19-2006, 09:43 AM
There must have been some sarcasm meters that met a dinner plate fate during the Cleveland game.
The wounds, of another season pissed away, are too fresh in the hearts of chiefs fans to have much of a sense of humor about such things, Senator Dole.

Thig Lyfe
12-19-2006, 09:57 AM
Um... Wasn't that because the idiot tried to hand the ball off instead of just kneeling?

Yes.

There was a college football game, years ago, when all Wisconsin had to do was kneel. They fumbled the snap, the other team recovered, and Wisconsin lost the game.

Bob Dole
12-19-2006, 10:01 AM
The wounds, of another season pissed away, are too fresh in the hearts of chiefs fans to have much of a sense of humor about such things, Senator Dole.

Probably true.

Bob Dole has become so accustomed to the annual "maybe next year" that this season didn't really hurt like seasons past.

But at least we are symmetrical and can see the blueprint Herm has in mind for this franchise.

htismaqe
12-19-2006, 11:05 AM
Probably true.

Bob Dole has become so accustomed to the annual "maybe next year" that this season didn't really hurt like seasons past.

But at least we are symmetrical and can see the blueprint Herm has in mind for this franchise.

It's technically not a blueprint. That special ink they use tends to just soak into toilet paper...

luv
12-19-2006, 11:10 AM
The O and D seem to take turns on having a good game. Maybe next year, they could be well balanced on the same day (preferrably game days). However, I would like to see the W-L record be a little more unbalanced. Perhaps leaning a bit further towards the W column.

ROYC75
12-19-2006, 11:10 AM
It's technically not a blueprint. That special ink they use tends to just soak into toilet paper...

Not ink either, it's the blue dye from the tiddy bowl cleaner ....... Our season was down the toilet when Herm was hired..........New coach,you very seldom have instant success........

plbrdude
12-19-2006, 11:11 AM

the good in all this is that we're balanced. mr bob dole simply pointed out how balanced we are. oh, the irony of it all.

Reerun_KC
12-19-2006, 11:19 AM
Not ink either, it's the blue dye from the tiddy bowl cleaner ....... Our season was down the toilet when Herm was hired..........New coach,you very seldom have instant success........

somebody forgot to tell that to Herms old team the Jets. They have a first year coach. They win out they are in.

Our future is down the Toilet for the next 3 years.

FAX
12-19-2006, 11:22 AM
somebody forgot to tell that to Herms old team the Jets. They have a first year coach. They win out they are in.

Good point, Mr. Reerun_KC. The Jets new head coach took a 3 and 40 team and, probably, got them into the playoffs. Our new head coach took our Triceratops and turned it into a whiny-ass Antelope.

FAX

plbrdude
12-19-2006, 11:23 AM

well at least our season made it down the toilet, unlike cheeef's buisiness

Reerun_KC
12-19-2006, 11:26 AM
well at least our season made it down the toilet, unlike cheeef's buisiness

That is true, but in 3 years it will take a big plunger to uncork that pile of crap that is amasing inside.

plbrdude
12-19-2006, 11:29 AM
That is true, but in 3 years it will take a big plunger to uncork that pile of crap that is amasing inside.

ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL

htismaqe
12-19-2006, 11:31 AM

I certainly hope you meant "amassing".

I don't really want to know why you'd consider the inside of a pile of crap "amazing".

Mr. Laz
12-19-2006, 11:34 AM
Our new head coach took our Triceratops and turned it into a whiny-ass Antelope.

FAX
ROFL

I don't think i've ever seen you this grouchy before, Mr. Fax.

Reerun_KC
12-19-2006, 11:44 AM
I certainly hope you meant "amassing".

I don't really want to know why you'd consider the inside of a pile of crap "amazing".

Sorry left out one s.... i wrote amasing....

Thanks Htismaqe for pointing out all my errors.

nothing inside a pile of crap is amazing....

Baby Lee
12-19-2006, 03:49 PM
Sorry left out one s.... i wrote amasing....

Thanks Htismaqe for pointing out all my errors.

nothing inside a pile of crap is amazing....
More corn for Reerun.