PDA

View Full Version : Derrick Johnson

HemiEd
12-18-2006, 07:55 PM
I am interested in hearing your thoughts on his play yesterday. I thought it was a bright spot in the game. He flashed a lot in my eyes, he made some fine tackles.

Coach
12-18-2006, 07:57 PM
I was impressed with him.

scott free
He's FRIGGIN awesome, i was screaming bloody murder when he BLEW UP neal.

TrickyNicky
I wish we had two more of him. Gets blocked out of plays at times, but that 5 star tackle on Neal that caused the incompletion (fumble, whatever) was a thing of beauty.

Bob Dole
12-18-2006, 08:00 PM
He appears to be healthy again and was definitely bringing the wood.

One of the few truly bright spots of the game.

thedude
12-18-2006, 08:00 PM
Another thing I noticed a lot, all of our LB's timing on blitzes was impeccable. There were at least 5 instances where we had a LB flying across the LOS and getting in the backfield. I feel that with any DT support, we would have just been destroying LT and Rivers.

the Talking Can
12-18-2006, 08:02 PM
best he's played, maybe...he's the only guy on our D that hits fast....he accelerates into tackles instead of stutter stepping and trying to "wrap up" ie arm tackles....

FAX
12-18-2006, 08:03 PM
One of the few reasons on this team to give me hope for our defensive future. I think you can build around him, Allen, Hali, Pollard, Page, etc.

He is very, very fast with a nose for the ball. If Gunther has any sense at all, he'll scheme to allow him to use that speed when defending both the run and the pass. I like him on Hali's side. They should compliment each other very well.

FAX

Sure-Oz
12-18-2006, 08:04 PM
Def. a great draft pick.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-18-2006, 08:07 PM
If we get a good DT in the offseason, he'll become one of the top two or three OLB's in the game next year.

Buck
12-18-2006, 08:09 PM
Sorry, I wasn't paying too much attention to him yesterday because I was mainly focussed on my team, but I found it strange that he couldn't catch up to LT. Yeah I know LT is a RB and DJ is a LB, but LT almost never breaks away. Every single long play he has had the last 2 years, he's been caught from behind.

the Talking Can
12-18-2006, 08:12 PM
Sorry, I wasn't paying too much attention to him yesterday because I was mainly focussed on my team, but I found it strange that he couldn't catch up to LT. Yeah I know LT is a RB and DJ is a LB, but LT almost never breaks away. Every single long play he has had the last 2 years, he's been caught from behind.

DJ is more quick than fast, plus he's coming off a high ankle sprain and he was crossing the field, that was Bell's play....not many LBs can run with LT...he gets caught by CB/S

FAX
12-18-2006, 08:15 PM
If we get a good DT in the offseason, he'll become one of the top two or three OLB's in the game next year.

If they don't change schemes again, and assuming that Hali improves in his sophomore season, they should be a heck of a duo on the left side, Mr. 'Hummus' Jenkins. There's a lot you can do in the propitious realm of stunts, masked blitzes, dogging, etc. with that kind of athleticism working together.

FAX

scott free
12-18-2006, 08:16 PM

Give your guy some credit, he's as fast as he needs to be.

DJ may still be nursing the high ankle sprain, but even when DJ's healthy LT prolly has a step on him.

Its also tough to turn & run & match the speed of a guy who has had 5-10 yards in a straight line head start.

thedude
12-18-2006, 08:18 PM
If this was Madden, DJ so would have caught Tomlinson. He's like a 97 speed.

Buck
12-18-2006, 08:23 PM
Okay, I just watched the 85 yard TD run by LT, and DJ did catch up to him, but he just couldn't get within 2 yards of him before he got tired.

Halfcan
12-18-2006, 08:26 PM
Neal fumbled that ball. How is turning your whole body and starting to run, not a freakin football move. The NFL and their selective rule calling at their best.

HemiEd
12-18-2006, 08:27 PM
If they don't change schemes again, and assuming that Hali improves in his sophomore season, they should be a heck of a duo on the left side, Mr. 'Hummus' Jenkins. There's a lot you can do in the propitious realm of stunts, masked blitzes, dogging, etc. with that kind of athleticism working together.

FAX

It is exciting to think of their potential, and if we get the DT Hummus Jenkins refers to, wow. The Chiefs have not had much luck with that lately though.

FAX
12-18-2006, 08:29 PM
It is exciting to think of their potential, and if we get the DT Hummus Jenkins refers to, wow. The Chiefs have not had much luck with that lately though.

Much better in FA than in the draft, that's for sure, Mr. HemiEd. I'd like to think we can pick up a decent DT or two in FA during the off-season.

FAX

HemiEd
12-18-2006, 08:40 PM
Much better in FA than in the draft, that's for sure, Mr. HemiEd. I'd like to think we can pick up a decent DT or two in FA during the off-season.

FAX

I think you are correct about the free agent route, I wonder who that would be.
I hope we do not try and draft any more for a while, Carl has struck out swinging at that.

beer bacon
12-18-2006, 09:35 PM
The thing that impressed me the most about DJ yesterday was his strength. There a few times where the ballcarrier was just about into our secondary when DJ just reached and out threw the guy to the ground. It was impressive because it didn't really seem like DJ had position or leverage, yet he was able to stop their momentum and bring them down.

Halfcan
12-18-2006, 09:44 PM
If Gun or our next DC figures out how to use DJ correctly-he could be a monster pass rusher. Seems we have wasted him.

Thig Lyfe
12-18-2006, 09:49 PM
DJ is great.

We really have missed him in the games he's been out of.

beer bacon
12-18-2006, 09:49 PM
If Gun or our next DC figures out how to use DJ correctly-he could be a monster pass rusher. Seems we have wasted him.

DJ was actually doing very well as a pass rusher earlier this season before he got injured. He had 4.5, and was on course for 9+.

HemiEd
12-19-2006, 08:13 AM
The thing that impressed me the most about DJ yesterday was his strength. There a few times where the ballcarrier was just about into our secondary when DJ just reached and out threw the guy to the ground. It was impressive because it didn't really seem like DJ had position or leverage, yet he was able to stop their momentum and bring them down.

He was shedding blocks pretty well too, he seem to have a real fire burning.

Demonpenz
12-19-2006, 08:19 AM
DJ when healthy is a fine player. He hasn't been a game changer like merryman, but if we could ever get him some other talent his ability to cause fumbles will show up. I was pretty close to calling him out before the game on sunday because he 1) hasn't been playing 2) hasn't made an impact. That oneal play was a fumble then there was a play down at the goal line where he caught LT from behind and threw him down.

StcChief
12-19-2006, 08:47 AM
One of the bright spots in our future. Seemed to be making plays all the time.

Ankle injury? I didn't see any ill effects.

He wouldn't catch LT with 10 yard lead. Should be expected to.

That's the SAFETY's job to ensure it doesn't happen :banghead:

Short Leash Hootie
12-19-2006, 08:53 AM
you ****ing idiot...

Derrick Johnson is a ****ING linebacker...

LT is a running back...

no linebacker in the NFL should be able to catch a RB from behind...

patteeu
12-19-2006, 09:29 AM

DJ is a very good pass rusher, but he's also a very good coverage LB. I'm not an expert, but I suspect he stands out from other LBers more in coverage abilities than in rushing ability.

htismaqe
12-19-2006, 10:42 AM
DJ is a very good pass rusher, but he's also a very good coverage LB. I'm not an expert, but I suspect he stands out from other LBers more in coverage abilities than in rushing ability.

EXACTLY.

Making DJ a situational pass rusher would effectively nullify 2/3 of his talent.

He's an ALL-AROUND LB. There's no reason to pigeonhole him.

Demonpenz
12-19-2006, 11:47 AM
EXACTLY.

Making DJ a situational pass rusher would effectively nullify 2/3 of his talent.

He's an ALL-AROUND LB. There's no reason to pigeonhole him.

As with any part of our O or D we need to mix it up bring him about once or twice a game when you don't expect it

htismaqe
12-19-2006, 11:50 AM
As with any part of our O or D we need to mix it up bring him about once or twice a game when you don't expect it

I agree with that. Just don't bring him every down. He's Derrick Brooks, not Derrick Thomas.

Demonpenz
12-19-2006, 11:53 AM
It was so frustrating watching the O and the D with the chiefs, during the browns game they were too predictible just playing the cover 2 in the latest san diego game they mixed it up. I more than anyone else on this board loves to pound the rock. I believe in smashmouth cock and balls right in the other teams face I formation give em hell running, but even I will agree that running every 1st and second down sucks. Not only that but even the pass plays are vanilla, one guy runs a fly one guy a 7 route TG runs a dig and bennett or lj on a swing pass.

Demonpenz
12-19-2006, 11:55 AM
We get some help with DJ he is going to start popping balls out from behind coming p with interceptions and being a big play guy like he was at texas. The problem is he needs help. He needs guys to occupy the lineman he needs guys to tackling the ball carrier before he is so he can grab them from behind and punch the ball loose. He also needs to stay healthy damnit!

htismaqe
12-19-2006, 12:00 PM
We get some help with DJ he is going to start popping balls out from behind coming p with interceptions and being a big play guy like he was at texas. The problem is he needs help. He needs guys to occupy the lineman he needs guys to tackling the ball carrier before he is so he can grab them from behind and punch the ball loose. He also needs to stay healthy damnit!

Every LB needs guys to occupy linemen. Hell, Ray Lewis said it himself - he wouldn't be the player he is without those DT's up front keeping guys off of him.

Demonpenz
12-19-2006, 12:05 PM
Every LB needs guys to occupy linemen. Hell, Ray Lewis said it himself - he wouldn't be the player he is without those DT's up front keeping guys off of him.

The east west speed linebackers need it more than the bowling ball phyiscal linebackers. need it more than others. When levon kirkland was at his best it wasn't going sideline to sideline intercepting balls it was coming northsouth destroying the FB and running back and whoever got in the way.

PunkinDrublic
12-19-2006, 02:17 PM
I wonder what Mecca has to say about this? Oh that's right, he only chimes in when it's time to badmouth the Chiefs. DJ was awesome on Sunday, that goal line stand when we held them to a fieldgoal was great. The difference in our defense is like night and day without DJ.

Ebolapox
12-19-2006, 02:21 PM
I agree with that. Just don't bring him every down. He's Derrick Brooks, not Derrick Thomas.

no, he's derrick johnson :p

HemiEd
12-19-2006, 03:09 PM
I wonder what Mecca has to say about this? Oh that's right, he only chimes in when it's time to badmouth the Chiefs. DJ was awesome on Sunday, that goal line stand when we held them to a fieldgoal was great. The difference in our defense is like night and day without DJ.

It would be interesting to see what Mecca has to say about him, DJ went to UT.

ChiefsCountry
12-19-2006, 03:40 PM
We need to get another linebacker to cover tight ends and running backs to also free up DJ.

Rain Man
12-19-2006, 03:44 PM
If this was Madden, DJ so would have caught Tomlinson. He's like a 97 speed.

With this new information, it seems like we could get the touchdown nullified or something.

Mecca
12-19-2006, 03:48 PM
I have nothing bad to say......I always thought he would be good even when he was an underclassmen in college.

One of the few picks the Chiefs couldn't possibly screw up because it fell into their laps.

And for the other comment, I call them as I see them. If I think a player sucks I'll flat out say it, this team isn't that good so alot of the players happen to suck that's not my fault.

HemiEd
12-19-2006, 05:09 PM
I have nothing bad to say......I always thought he would be good even when he was an underclassmen in college.

That cinches it, DJ is headed to the HOF!

Ebolapox
12-19-2006, 05:11 PM
That cinches it, DJ is headed to the HOF!

he's no reggie bush... hell, maybe he is the reggie bush of outside linebackers...

wait... you play to crown his ass...

errr... he's lost his second level burst

CP has me all confused all of the sudden :spock:

brent102fire
12-19-2006, 06:05 PM
He'd be even better if he didn't have to play DT half of the time. With a few solid DT's, the Chiefs LB and CB's will be alot better next year...unfortunately, they've had to compensate for little or no pass rush this year :shake: :banghead: :cuss: :mad: :deevee: