PDA

View Full Version : What Would It Take?

FAX
12-19-2006, 12:44 AM
Now that I have discovered my heretofore unknown and unused poll powers, I would like to create a poll. I hope you don't mind and I hope I don't mess it up.

My poll premise is as follows; What would it take for you to stop being a Chiefs fan?

A very simple question really. Yet like many of life's questions, this one may require that you search deep within yourself for an elusive truth that, in fact, may not wish to see the light of day.

I recognize that this excercise may be difficult for many of us and for that, I apologize in advance. Still, fandom may have its limits. And the slimy, stinky worm of doubt may yet creep darkly and deep within the heart of the most faithful and steadfast of Chiefs loyalists. So let's expose that little bugger.

I'll try and get the little response things done in a minute or so.

FAX

Disclaimers: Sorry if repost.

Buck
12-19-2006, 12:48 AM
Please excuse my noobness, but why is Gaz always an option on polls?

FAX
12-19-2006, 12:53 AM
Please excuse my noobness, but why is Gaz always an option on polls?

I honestly don't know, Mr. BuckinKaeding. It is what Planeteers call, "obligatory", and the tradition pre-dates my arrival.

I'm sure one of the veteran posters can shed some light on this.

FAX

Ari Chi3fs
12-19-2006, 12:54 AM
Im DooooOOOommmed to being a Chiefs fan, unless my son plays professionally for another team... then I will like both.

OnTheWarpath58
12-19-2006, 12:54 AM
Once a fan, always a fan.

I posted in another thread that I'd even accept a couple of 4-12, 5-11, 6-10 type seasons if it meant this team was TRULY going to rebuild.

I'm still young and can wait a while to see us win the big one.....

BWillie
12-19-2006, 01:11 AM
I honestly don't know, Mr. BuckinKaeding. It is what Planeteers call, "obligatory", and the tradition pre-dates my arrival.

I'm sure one of the veteran posters can shed some light on this.

FAX

I think it's something the old timers will just neglect to tell us noobs no matter what. I've never heard of it ever discussed. I'm sure it has to do with the poster "Gaz" though. I know, my keen deductive reasoning concluded that one. I have no idea what it means though? Somebody help us out

Count Alex's Losses
12-19-2006, 01:14 AM
If they moved the team, I'd go root for the Browns or something. Part of the appeal of the Chiefs is Arrowhead and the great fan base. With that gone, there isn't much left.

FAX
12-19-2006, 01:18 AM
If they moved the team, I'd go root for the Browns or something. Part of the appeal of the Chiefs is Arrowhead and the great fan base. With that gone, there isn't much left.

Moving the team is certainly high on the list of things that might force me to reconsider my allegiances to the "Chiefs", Mr. GoChiefs. There is a mutual connection to the city and the area that would be broken were they to move.

I'm not 100% sure that would cause me to renounce my fan status, but it very well might.

FAX

Baconeater
12-19-2006, 01:19 AM
I'm sure it has to do with the poster "Gaz" though.
Nice work Columbo.

Phobia
12-19-2006, 01:23 AM
I'm actually very near the end of my rope. I love the game. Love it. But I'm at a point where I just can't handle all the corporate politics and money crap.

Imagine this if you will. Gasoline costs $59 per gallon and the 7-11 employees drive Ferraris around town.

FAX
12-19-2006, 01:24 AM
Nice work Columbo.

There goes that darn Mr. BuckinKaeding causing animus among and between Chiefs fans again.

FAX

Jenson71
12-19-2006, 01:25 AM
If they moved, they would no longer be the Kansas City Chiefs. They'd be something like the Las Vegas Pimps, and that just ain't the Chiefs.

Oh, and I know why there's the Gaz option! PM with money for details.

FAX
12-19-2006, 01:26 AM
I'm actually very near the end of my rope. I love the game. Love it. But I'm at a point where I just can't handle all the corporate politics and money crap.

Imagine this if you will. Gasoline costs $59 per gallon and the 7-11 employees drive Ferraris around town.

Ummm. I'm trying to follow you here, Mr. Phobia, but with great difficulty.

Perhaps you can de-metaphor this post a tad?

FAX

Hendrix68
12-19-2006, 01:26 AM
It'll take not losing any more games like the Cleveland game.

EVER.

Jenson71
12-19-2006, 01:27 AM
A long time ago, when I was just a kid, Gaz posted more, and he made a poll, with the last option being, "Bite me, Gaz". You know how parodies go around here, pretty soon it was "Bite my Gaz" and "Bite Gaz's gaz" and it's stuck and evolved since.

Ecto-I
12-19-2006, 01:28 AM
I used to think that even if the team moved, I'd still be a fan, but when you mentioned Oakland, I realized there was no way...

FAX
12-19-2006, 01:29 AM
If they moved, they would no longer be the Kansas City Chiefs. They'd be something like the Las Vegas Pimps, and that just ain't the Chiefs.

Oh, and I know why there's the Gaz option! PM with money for details.

No doubt. Even if they kept the name, the "Milwaukee Chiefs" would be difficult to handle, Mr. Jenson71.

FAX

|Zach|
12-19-2006, 01:29 AM
I am a bit surprised remembering a conversation about the Chiefs and how many would still be Chiefs fans if they moved.

I have zero interest in a non KC Chiefs team. That team would be dead to me.

Baconeater
12-19-2006, 01:35 AM

Blame the constantly escalating player salaries for that. I also wonder where are they going to go to next to generate more revenue. That's what worries me about this NFL Network crap, I have a feeling those of us who normally watch the games on broadcast TV are going to be the next ones to get squeezed.

Phobia
12-19-2006, 01:36 AM
Ummm. I'm trying to follow you here, Mr. Phobia, but with great difficulty.

Perhaps you can de-metaphor this post a tad?

FAX

I don't know if I can. I think money is destroying the game. The whole NFL network power play. Players making $10,000,000 in a year. Ryan Sims. $7 Coke. $28 parking.

It's like being a big Kenneth Lay fan.

FAX
12-19-2006, 01:37 AM
I don't know if I can. I think money is destroying the game. The whole NFL network power play. Players making $10,000,000 in a year. Ryan Sims. $7 Coke. $28 parking.

Ah. Got it. Thanks, Mr. Phobia. It was a much more straightforward statement than I thought.

My apologies. It's late where I'm thinking.

FAX

Redcoats58
12-19-2006, 04:37 AM

As long as there is demand it will keep rising. I don't know that you can blame a team for raising the costs if people are still willing to pay.

Redcoats58
12-19-2006, 04:46 AM
It would take the team moving for me to dump this team. Born and raised in Chiefs country, couldn't handle it if the team was anywhere but KC.

Guru
12-19-2006, 04:56 AM
As long as there is demand it will keep rising. I don't know that you can blame a team for raising the costs if people are still willing to pay.

That is the problem. Until the fans revolt, it will never end. As long as the stadium is full........

boogblaster
12-19-2006, 05:31 AM
Once always forever .. guess Im doomed ...

cookster50
12-19-2006, 08:08 AM

Same thing with baseball, seeing these horrible pitchers get $10 mill plus a year makes me want to just forget about it all.

Baby Lee
12-19-2006, 09:30 AM
I'm not sure, but it appears that the organization has been working VERY HARD for the answer on my behalf for the past 6-8 years.

Otter
12-19-2006, 09:42 AM

It's like being a big Kenneth Lay fan.One of the biggest causes of the NHL Strike was the fact that they lost the networks to broadcast the games (ESPN & ABC didn't renew contracts) and thus a nice big chunk of revenue was taken from both the league as a whole as well as the individual teams.

Two years down the road you have guys making $10 million a year but there is not enough revenue to pay everyone while keeping up profits. The players wouldn’t budge on their contracts and the league didn’t want to lose money on their end and next thing you know there’s a strike because nobody can come terms.

This whole power play by the NFL to control over the NFL broadcasts seems to be going down the same path and quiet frankly, I hope it does. The NFL and its players need a reality check.

Coogs
12-19-2006, 10:38 AM
It would take the team moving for me to dump this team. Born and raised in Chiefs country, couldn't handle it if the team was anywhere but KC.

:clap:

Chiefnj
12-19-2006, 10:40 AM
A contract extension to Herm and Carl this offseason would push me over the edge.

Predarat
12-19-2006, 10:41 AM
Even though I moved I just don't think it would be the same if the Chiefs moved somewhere else. I might still be a fan but it kind of depends, if the good fans of KC got screwed I would be hard pressed to pull for the Chiefs.

jspchief
12-19-2006, 10:43 AM
I'd say moving is the only thing that might do it.

Although proximity wasn't a factor in why I chose to root for the Chiefs, it plays a factor for me now. I like the idea of being able to go to games on a whim, and the LA Chiefs would make that impossible.

I can't say I would stop rooting for them, but if they moved I would certainly reassess the situation.

Donger
12-19-2006, 10:47 AM
I've lived in Colorado for almost ten years now. My kids were all born here. And, every week, The Dark Side calls to me. I find myself actually WANTING to watch the Broncos play. I find myself WANTING to see Jay Cutler play well.

As I was watching the Chiefs game this Sunday, my five year old son walked up to me and said, "Who are those guys in white?" I answered, "The Chiefs." He replied, "Oh. Do they win when they wear white?"

Father, help me.

Coogs
12-19-2006, 10:49 AM
I'd say moving is the only thing that might do it.

Although proximity wasn't a factor in why I chose to root for the Chiefs, it plays a factor for me now. I like the idea of being able to go to games on a whim, and the LA Chiefs would make that impossible.

I can't say I would stop rooting for them, but if they moved I would certainly reassess the situation.

I was a KC A's fan back in the day. When they left for Oakland, I still followed them because of the players, but not for long.

I somehow can't see many in Cleveland cheering for the Ravens, many in Houston cheering for the Titans, many in Baltimore cheering for the Colts, and so on.

jspchief
12-19-2006, 10:51 AM
I've lived in Colorado for almost ten years now. My kids were all born here. And, every week, The Dark Side calls to me. I find myself actually WANTING to watch the Broncos play. I find myself WANTING to see Jay Cutler play well.
I can believe it. It's hard to not get into the excitement that runs through the community.

That's one of the things that heightened my love of the Chiefs. When I was younger I'd take a lot of weekenders to KC for the nightlife, etc. Spending a weekend in that town just strengthens your bond with that team. You get caught up in it all.

ChiefButthurt
12-19-2006, 10:55 AM
I'll tell you guys one thing, after 37 years, my allegiance is fading fast. Each year it gets harder to hang with them. One dumb move after another. I can understand entering the season with no ****ing hope. But this shit is tough to take. My son is mad that I brain washed him many years ago and he's stuck.

HemiEd
12-19-2006, 10:57 AM
I have been through a lot with this team, good and bad. They are not unlike a delinquent child to deal with mentally.

I am glad the Johnson county voters approved the stadium renovations, and locked the Chiefs into Arrowhead for quite a while longer.

If the Chiefs moved, so would my loyalty and fandom.

FAX
12-19-2006, 11:01 AM
I'll tell you guys one thing, after 37 years, my allegiance is fading fast. Each year it gets harder to hang with them. One dumb move after another. I can understand entering the season with no ****ing hope. But this shit is tough to take. My son is mad that I brain washed him many years ago and he's stuck.

That's exactly how I feel, Mr. ChiefPote. Son and all.

FAX

HemiEd
12-19-2006, 11:05 AM
I can believe it. It's hard to not get into the excitement that runs through the community.

That's one of the things that heightened my love of the Chiefs. When I was younger I'd take a lot of weekenders to KC for the nightlife, etc. Spending a weekend in that town just strengthens your bond with that team. You get caught up in it all.

Fortunately I have had no problem avoiding the Bears bandwagon up here. It is shocking how much Bears gear you see. It was only a couple years ago they were all wearing Favre stuff.

ChiefButthurt
12-19-2006, 11:08 AM
That's exactly how I feel, Mr. ChiefPote. Son and all.

FAX

Yeah..he trys to call me after a game and I won't answer the phone. His cussing has got to stop. I might have to tell his wife.

BigRedChief
12-19-2006, 11:19 AM
If the Chiefs moved, so would my loyalty and fandom.
Not me. If they would become the LA Chiefs I would stop being a fan. But thats not going to happen in my lifetime. They are locked in for another 25 years :clap:

HemiEd
12-19-2006, 11:33 AM
Not me. If they would become the LA Chiefs I would stop being a fan. But thats not going to happen in my lifetime. They are locked in for another 25 years :clap:

I worded that poorly BRC, I meant I would move to another team. I listened to Jerry Rice again on Sirius and have become a total idiot.

bogie
12-19-2006, 11:34 AM
If they move to LA, I'd remain a fan. Anywhere else, I'd probably pay attention for a while. There's no way I would remain a fan if they moved somewhere else (other than LA) and continue to not sniff a playoff win. I'm proud of the fact that I was born and raised in Missouri. That's a big reason I love the Chiefs. As long as they stay in Missouri, they got me.

Mr. Laz
12-19-2006, 11:38 AM
1. Moving The Team. (To maybe say ... a place like Oakland.)

i don't think i could follow a team from oakland ... evah.

Lose A Bet. For 1 million buckskies or more

pay me a million-plus to stop following a team that breaks my heart every year ...... you bet, sign me up.

Your Personal Demise. (Assumes there is no NFL Network in heaven or reincarnation or anything)

no real choice here, is there?!?

FAX
12-19-2006, 11:42 AM
Your Personal Demise. (Assumes there is no NFL Network in heaven or reincarnation or anything)

no real choice here, is there?!?

Yeah. That's an example of poor poll making right there, Mr. Laz. There's no real difference between being a Chiefs fan all your life and dying a Chiefs fan if there's no tv in the afterlife.

My bad. I should have left open the possibility of reincarnation.

FAX