PDA

View Full Version : Apocalypto Review

BIG_DADDY
12-19-2006, 01:25 PM
Well I went to the movie. My problem is my expectations are so high when I go to a movie that I have been so eagerly anticipating I am almost always let down and this wasn't an exception. The movie was decent but I would have waited for it to come out on DVD if I had known it was going to be like that. Basically it's just a gory chasing movie. The costumes were awesome and the main characters were interesting but it fell short of my expectations. I wish someone would do a good movie on the culture in general.

StcChief
12-19-2006, 01:38 PM
Welcome to overhyped Hollywood crap.

wondering how the movie companies/investor expect revenue now.

My guess is more about DVD sales/rentals than Theatre money.
That is likely to cover 1/2 dev costs.

Anybody in that business or have insider info. That would be interesting to know.

Donger
12-19-2006, 01:39 PM
Well I went to the movie. My problem is my expectations are so high when I go to a movie that I have been so eagerly anticipating I am almost always let down and this wasn't an exception. The movie was decent but I would have waited for it to come out on DVD if I had known it was going to be like that. Basically it's just a gory chasing movie. The costumes were awesome and the main characters were interesting but it fell short of my expectations. I wish someone would do a good movie on the culture in general.

What were you expecting? A history?

wutamess
12-19-2006, 01:40 PM
This is a really well written & though out review.
Thanks. I feel I have so much more insight after reading this.
Thanks again.

:thumb:

BIG_DADDY
12-19-2006, 01:46 PM
What were you expecting? A history?

No, there are just so many things that could have been shown that at least touched on the culture. The athletic competitions and rewarding by beheading the victor. Many of their rituals.The way they advertise it with the every culture collapses from within I thought they would touch more on that. Don't get me wrong I think a lot of people will like the movie, I did. It just wasn't all I was hoping it would be.

Halfcan
12-19-2006, 01:47 PM
Actually I went and saw it opening weekend. It is not a perfect movie, but very entertaining. I would give it 4 out of 5 beers.

BIG_DADDY
12-19-2006, 01:48 PM
This is a really well written & though out review.
Thanks. I feel I have so much more insight after reading this.
Thanks again.

:thumb:

LMAO I don't want to give away the movie as there isn't a lot to anticipate as it is. I'm glad you enjoyed my review. :4321:

Pitt Gorilla
12-19-2006, 01:48 PM
Basically it's just a gory chasing movie. Given the previews, that is exactly what I was expecting.

Redrum_69
12-19-2006, 01:49 PM
Wasnt Mel Gibson drunk driving during the making of this film?

I thought I read somewhere that he had just come off from a day on the set and drank heavily....

BIG_DADDY
Actually I went and saw it opening weekend. It is not a perfect movie, but very entertaining. I would give it 4 out of 5 beers.

I was hoping it would rival Braveheart or something which explains why I was disappointed. It is a good movie though, I agree.

Donger
No, there are just so many things that could have been shown that at least touched on the culture. The athletic competitions and rewarding by beheading the victor. Many of their rituals.The way they advertise it with the every culture collapses from within I thought they would touch more on that. Don't get me wrong I think a lot of people will like the movie, I did. It just wasn't all I was hoping it would be.

Okay, just checking. I just hope that people don't see Mel Gibson films and walk away thinking that they are histories. Braveheart in particular.

Redrum_69
12-19-2006, 01:55 PM
www.cnn.com

REPORTING THAT MOUNT ST HELENS is erupting

BIG_DADDY
12-19-2006, 01:56 PM
Wasnt Mel Gibson drunk driving during the making of this film?

I thought I read somewhere that he had just come off from a day on the set and drank heavily....

I heard Mel used your mom on the set to get the local natives sweating for the chase scene's. After the movie was over he found her on the alter being used in a Myan blood and sex ritual. I hear they painted her white instead of blue.

Halfcan
12-19-2006, 01:58 PM
I was hoping it would rival Braveheart or something which explains why I was disappointed. It is a good movie though, I agree.

Yep it was no Braveheart-but that was an Award winner. But the bad guy is probably one of the best ever-pretty scary dude.

Donger
12-19-2006, 02:01 PM
www.cnn.com

REPORTING THAT MOUNT ST HELENS is erupting

Cool.

BIG_DADDY
12-19-2006, 02:02 PM
Yep it was no Braveheart-but that was an Award winner. But the bad guy is probably one of the best ever-pretty scary dude.

Yea that dude was a scary ****er. My favorite was his response when one of his road dogs said they would climb down the falls. LMAO

patteeu
12-19-2006, 02:03 PM
The athletic competitions and rewarding by beheading the victor.

:eek: Doesn't that lead to a lot of low scoring games where both sides throw a lot of interceptions?

Halfcan
12-19-2006, 02:04 PM
I visited Mt St Helens last year. It was a very spooky place-like a nuke hit it. When we were there, smoke was still coming out through vents and the earth rumbled a few times.

Halfcan
12-19-2006, 02:07 PM
Yea that dude was a scary ****er. My favorite was his response when one of his road dogs said they would climb down the falls. LMAO

Yep that guy should have just shut up. I can't think of a bigger badass than that Warrior. Maybe the Indian bad guy in Ron Howards The Missing-would be close. He made the movie IMO.

BIG_DADDY
12-19-2006, 02:08 PM
:eek: Doesn't that lead to a lot of low scoring games where both sides throw a lot of interceptions?

LMAO That culture did some crazy ass shit and I'm not even talking about what they did to Redrum's mom.

BucEyedPea
12-19-2006, 02:14 PM
I saw it last weekend Big Daddy and I heard it was mostly a primitive chase story.

Nevertheless, I loved it. I loved the ending even more. It was a very Mel Gibsony ending if ya' ask me but I won't spoil it for those who have not seen it.

I thought Mel did a very good job of humanizing those we think of in history as savages and developing their personalities in a way that helped you sympathize with them. Not the Mayans....they were portrayed as an ignorant people steeped in superstition but who had technology of making concrete and building their sacrifical pyramids.

Just the visuals alone made we want to see it on a big screen.

Halfcan
12-19-2006, 02:18 PM
I saw it last weekend Big Daddy and I heard it was mostly a primitive chase story.

Nevertheless, I loved it. I loved the ending even more. It was a very Mel Gibsony ending if ya' ask me but I won't spoil it for those who have not seen it.

I thought Mel did a very good job of humanizing those we think of in history as savages and developing their personalities in a way that helped you sympathize with them. Not the Mayans....they were portrayed as an ignorant people steeped in superstition but who had technology of making concrete and building their sacrifical pyramids.

Yep it was a beautifully filmed movie. I wondered about the timing of the Solar Eclipse to the landing of the Conquistidors??

BucEyedPea
12-19-2006, 02:22 PM
Yep it was a beautifully filmed movie. I wondered about the timing of the Solar Eclipse to the landing of the Conquistidors??
LOL! Most likely just some artistic license but who knows. Primitives did rely on natural phenomena as omens.

BIG_DADDY
12-19-2006, 02:29 PM

That was one of my reasons for wanting to see it too. Has anyone seen Blood Diamond? If so is it worth seeing. I want to see 300 as well.

Jenson71
12-19-2006, 02:34 PM
That was one of my reasons for wanting to see it too. Has anyone seen Blood Diamond? If so is it worth seeing. I want to see 300 as well.

Hey, have you heard about The Good Shepherd? I made a thread about it yesterday.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=154732

BIG_DADDY
12-19-2006, 02:35 PM
Hey, have you heard about The Good Shepherd? I made a thread about it yesterday.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=154732
Saw the previews when I went to Apocalypto.

Jenson71
12-19-2006, 02:37 PM
Saw the previews when I went to Apocalypto.

Well? What'd you think? Doesn't it look good? Aren't you gonna see it? Arent ya aren't ya arent ya

I posted on your thread post on mine.

BucEyedPea
12-19-2006, 02:38 PM
I've been really outta the loop lately on movies BD.
I havent' even heard of Blood Diamond or 300. :(

Halfcan
12-19-2006, 02:43 PM
A couple of movies I thought were outstanding.

City of God
Tsotsi
Rabbit Proof fence
Worlds fastest Indian

Make sure to watch to special features.

BIG_DADDY
12-19-2006, 02:44 PM
Well? What'd you think? Doesn't it look good? Aren't you gonna see it? Arent ya aren't ya arent ya

I posted on your thread post on mine.

It's one of those I want to have someone else preview first. I am not real big on going to the movies I usually wait for them to come out on TV and order from home. I ususally go 2-3 times a year. With Angelina and De Niro it certainly has potential.

Jenson71
12-19-2006, 02:45 PM
Worlds fastest Indian

Not as good as the original with Burt Lancaster.

KcMizzou
12-19-2006, 02:45 PM
I've been really outta the loop lately on movies BD.
I havent' even heard of Blood Diamond or 300. :(I can't wait for 300. Looks amazing.

Jenson71
12-19-2006, 02:46 PM
It's one of those I want to have someone else preview first. I am not real big on going to the movies I usually wait for them to come out on TV and order from home. I ususally go 2-3 times a year. With Angelina and De Niro it certainly has potential.

I'll be posting my review on Friday after I come home. Man I can't wait.

Redrum_69
12-19-2006, 03:26 PM
I heard Mel used your mom on the set to get the local natives sweating for the chase scene's. After the movie was over he found her on the alter being used in a Myan blood and sex ritual. I hear they painted her white instead of blue.

The your mom comments are getting old

so from now on I'm going to post normal like everyone else...and it saves me from being creative 24/7

which reminds me...who was the poster here that was complaining about his deaf overweight neighbors making sounds during sex?

that was like 2 or 3 years ago....

BIG_DADDY
12-19-2006, 03:27 PM

so from now on I'm going to post normal like everyone else...and it saves me from being creative 24/7

which reminds me...who was the poster here that was complaining about his deaf overweight neighbors making sounds during sex?

Don't talk about your mom like that.

Halfcan
12-19-2006, 04:38 PM

From Legend to mere Mortal, my how far you have fallen. :shake:

FAX
12-19-2006, 04:44 PM

I'm sure you'll be relieved to know that you have to worry about being too creative, Mr. Redrum_69. Honestly. Maybe you should try some "your dad" jokes?

Meanwhile, I think the thread you're referencing is in the archives, if I'm not mistaken.

FAX

Sully
12-19-2006, 06:51 PM

I've seen Blood Diamond, and I thought it was a borderline great movie.