PDA

View Full Version : Sad day... we're putting our dog down today

KC Jones
12-20-2006, 07:32 AM
We got Sedona 12 years ago and she was already 1 year old. She's a beautiful mutt - mostly chow and collie from what we can tell. She used to love hiking - especially in fields of tall grass or deep snow. She'd rear up on her hind legs like a prairie dog looking for something to chase and then go bounding through the field. She was a pretty smart dog too - when we lived near downtown Lawrence we used to get weird phone messages stating our dog was at the Eldridge or in some restaurant, but she'd always be safely in the backyard when we got home. Turns out she'd figured out how to undo the latch on the privacy fence and when she came home she'd pester the guys working in the alley behind our house to let her back in. I've never seen such a mellow dog either; she never dug stuff up, tore anything apart, and only got excitable when it was time to play or eat. She snapped at my firstborn one time, and then after a good scolding she never again bothered any of our kids even if they were pulling on her ears or poking her in the eye.

Anyway, after 12 great years it's her time. She stopped eating, won't drink, and can barely move. We took her to the vet 2 day's ago and a blood test confirmed that her liver, kidneys, and pancreas have pretty much shut down. We'll go in later today to be with her when they put her to sleep - at least this way she won't have to suffer any more. God's speed Sedona.

:deevee:

Fire Me Boy!
12-20-2006, 07:34 AM
You're in my thoughts... must be a rough time. I've never had to do that, but I can imagine how tough it must be. I know my time's coming (not soon, hopefully, but it will eventually) and any time I think about it nearly breaks my heart.

cdcox
12-20-2006, 07:36 AM
Sorry to hear that, KC Jones. When you get a really good pet, it's tough to lose them.

Lonewolf Ed
12-20-2006, 07:39 AM
Good dogs have entirely too short a life span. My rottweiler is 7 and will be 8 in July. I read that they seldom live more than 11 years. :(

Phobia
12-20-2006, 07:40 AM
Sorry to hear it. Kids live much longer. Have another kid.

FAX
12-20-2006, 07:42 AM
Sorry to hear this, Mr. KC Jones. I know this is difficult for you. My sympathies.

Our old lab has to ride the lightning sometime soon. Everytime we discuss it, the beautiful and witty Mrs. FAX starts crying. It's damned hard to lose a good dog.

FAX

stevieray
12-20-2006, 07:43 AM
my sympathies. we love our pets very much...my girls would crumble if one had to be put down.

Infidel Goat
12-20-2006, 07:44 AM
Sorry to hear it, EJ.

Dogs are the best creatures on earth.

And even knowing that putting down Sedona will end her suffering doesn't do much to relieve your current pain.

Time will help, of course. I'm considering asking my wife to put me down when Swiper's time comes up, though.

siberian khatru
12-20-2006, 07:45 AM
Been there, done that. It sucks. I still have flashbacks to the day I had to put my beloved Golden down 2 years ago. It was the right thing to do, but I still feel guilty. The dog was so loyal and trusting.

I'm gonna get teased for this but ... I had him cremated, and we keep his ashes in a nice wood box with his name and picture on it in the living room. He was that special a dog.

booyaf2
12-20-2006, 07:47 AM
8 posts, no antifreeze joke? My sympathies to you KC.

ChiTown
12-20-2006, 07:49 AM
Sorry to hear that, Big Fella. Tough time of the year to have to go through that crap. I did that 2 years ago, and it absolutely sucked. You have my condolences.

My new pup is spending the day in my office with me sleeping in her makeshift bed. I love dogs.

tomahawk kid
12-20-2006, 07:49 AM
My thoughts are with you.

God bless you and your pup.

Pennywise
12-20-2006, 07:56 AM
Oddly enough, if my Chihuahua of 14 years makes it thru the day, Iíll be surprised.

I feel your pain.

He had a heatstroke this summer and now has congestive heart failure.

Fire Me Boy!
12-20-2006, 08:10 AM
Sorry to hear it. Kids live much longer. Have another kid.
But they're more expensive and not as loyal.

Fire Me Boy!
12-20-2006, 08:10 AM
But they're more expensive and not as loyal.
My wife and I aren't ready. We're still practicing for the big day of conception.

Dartgod
12-20-2006, 08:18 AM
That sucks. I've been there and know how you feel.

Hopefully the people that don't understand what you are going through will stay away from this thread.

KcMizzou
12-20-2006, 08:23 AM
That really sucks. Hang in there, man.

acasas4
12-20-2006, 08:27 AM
My thoughts are with you. Had to have one put down last month and it's really tough.

Simplex3
12-20-2006, 08:28 AM
The stronger and happier you can be the better she'll feel about the whole thing and the happier her last moments will be.

Good luck, and you have my sympathies.

Hog Farmer
12-20-2006, 08:58 AM
That sucks. I've been there and know how you feel.

Hopefully the people that don't understand what you are going through will stay away from this thread.

Yeah, That includes you.

Hog Farmer
12-20-2006, 09:02 AM
Oh yeah, I'm sorry for your loss, too. I know how much you people care about your animals. HeHe.

KC Jones
12-20-2006, 09:04 AM
8 posts, no antifreeze joke? My sympathies to you KC.

ROFL The Planet has lost its burst :)

C-Mac
12-20-2006, 09:13 AM
Its tough to deal with, especially when there is kids involved.

Rausch
12-20-2006, 09:17 AM
You should get drunk...

boogblaster
12-20-2006, 09:18 AM
Sorry man, hate losing a pet..my terrier has siezures, so far meds work, one of these days hopefully not soon, Ill have to put him down..

Lzen
12-20-2006, 09:54 AM
That's rough. I feel for ya, man. My dog is about the same age. We will be going through this same thing soon. This may sound cliche, but it's part of the life cycle. I think getting another dog will help your family to get over the loss of this one. Prayers for your family, bud.

StcChief
12-20-2006, 10:08 AM
I feel your pain...

Real good dogs are hard to find....

plbrdude
12-20-2006, 12:00 PM
sorry to hear. pets are pretty much part of the family. lost my big ole baby of a blond lab a couple yr ago. had to bury my old alley cat a couple months ago. losin' a pet you've had for a good amount of time is tough.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-20-2006, 12:51 PM
We had to put down my dog this summer. I got him when I was barely 7, now I'm 24. It's hard to lose someone you grew up with, especially when they love you unconditionally.

My condolensces

John_Locke
12-20-2006, 06:03 PM
sorry man

bogie
12-20-2006, 06:50 PM
Sorry to hear this. I know your heart is breaking. I've been through it. I took a bunch of hotdogs with me and while the vet was doing it, I let ole' Syd get his fill. It broke my heart, but his tail was wagging to the end.

C-Mac
12-20-2006, 06:53 PM
Sorry to hear this. I know your heart is breaking. I've been through it. I took a bunch of hotdogs with me and while the vet was doing it, I let ole' Syd get his fill. It broke my heart, but his tail was wagging to the end.

:( Dang dude that had to have been hard.

bogie
12-20-2006, 06:56 PM
:( Dang dude that had to have been hard.

One of the hardest things I've ever done. As an adult I've cried twice. When my brother died and when Syd stopped breathing.

memyselfI
12-20-2006, 07:17 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this. I work in a Vet Clinic and this is the absolute worst part of my job. You see people in utter dispair and heartbreak because they are losing a devoted loved one and often times we have an attachment to the pet we've been treating. It's just a hard thing all around.

What I tell our clients is that it's much harder on you than it is on your pet. They are not going to suffer. They suffer more when they are aware they cannot move, or eat, or toilet normally. They suffer more when they feel pain and cannot express how best to help them.

Know that you are doing something very loving for your pet and that you will never replace them but in time conscientious and compassionate owners like yourself owe it to your self and your former pet to forge a new bond with another pet when you are ready.

CosmicPal
12-20-2006, 07:18 PM
Damn...sorry to hear about your loss. I've been there before and it's one of the hardest things in life when you lose a pet. I've got a dog now, and I don't want to think about losing him now...