PDA

View Full Version : My retirement plans are becoming clearer...

Rain Man
12-27-2006, 01:57 PM
Okay, I'm on this site, and I'm looking at the 90-day ticker for cruises.

http://www.vacationstogo.com/ticker.cfm?t=y

If this time of year is typical, I can do the following for three months:

1. 7-day Honolulu cruise starting January 1, for $699.
2. 5-day Galveston cruise starting January 8, for $299.
3. 7-day New Orleans cruise starting January 13, for $469.
4. 7-day Charleston cruise starting January 20, for $329.
5. 7-day Port Canaveral cruise starting January 27, for $499.
6. 7-day Fort Lauderdale cruise starting February 4, for $449.
7. 7-day Fort Lauderdale cruise starting February 11, for $469.
8. 6-day Fort Lauderdale cruise starting February 18, for $619.
9. 7-day Fort Lauderdale cruise starting February 24, for $549.
10. 8-day Fort Lauderdale cruise starting March 3, for $699.
11. 7-day Fort Lauderdale cruise starting March 11, for $599.
12. 7-day Fort Lauderdale cruise starting March 18, for $549.
13. 6-day Fort Lauderdale cruise starting March 25, for $479.

So, over a period of three months I have obtained food, shelter, almost all living expenses, and I think even emergency doctor and dental services for a total of about

$6,700 for cruises.
$800 or so for one airline ticket.
$400 or so for three days of rental car and driving.
$1,500 or so in tips.

That's about $9,400, or call it $3,200 a month including a few incidentals.

If I do this over the full year, that's about $40,000 in total expenses, or probably less than it will cost me to live at home.

If they had good videoconferencing, maybe I'd even do it now. I could save a ton of money relative to my current cost of living.

Ultra Peanut
12-27-2006, 01:58 PM
I knew this was a Rain Man thread from the title alone.

<3

KCChiefsMan
12-27-2006, 02:08 PM
why not, sounds like fun

Redrum_69
12-27-2006, 02:14 PM
Plan it around January 17th Rainman........lol

seclark
12-27-2006, 02:17 PM
don't eat the raw veggies.
sec

Kclee
12-27-2006, 02:23 PM
It's good to know you're looking into these things since hitting the big 50.

Redrum_69
12-27-2006, 02:28 PM
Oh damn...rainmans 50??

that makes him the numero second behind skiptowne...who is like 80 something

PastorMikH
12-27-2006, 02:35 PM
What happened to the Mrs? Add hers in and you are up to 80K/year.

'Course when you add in the Mrs wanting to buy souvenirs from each cruise for family members you'll need to add another 20K.

Then there's the boarding of 2 cats for a year - that won't be cheap either.

ck_IN
12-27-2006, 02:41 PM
<i>What happened to the Mrs? Add hers in and you are up to 80K/year. </i>

He intends to have a woman in every port so there's no need to bring one along.

ck_IN
12-27-2006, 02:43 PM
Actually I did read awhile back about how some seniors were doing just this. They'd sold their house and cars and had booked passage year round on cruise ships. They claimed it was quite economical. I haven't crunched the numbers but cruises are all inclusive.

Redrum_69
12-27-2006, 02:47 PM
Actually I did read awhile back about how some seniors were doing just this. They'd sold their house and cars and had booked passage year round on cruise ships. They claimed it was quite economical. I haven't crunched the numbers but cruises are all inclusive.

I see....prolly not a good idea to go up to the topless deck though..on a retirement cruise.

JimNasium
12-27-2006, 02:54 PM
I'll bet I would rack up a $20k bar tab during those three months.

ck_IN
12-27-2006, 02:58 PM
<i>I see....prolly not a good idea to go up to the topless deck though..on a retirement cruise.</i>

Your personal preferences are yours sir. NTTAWWT

JimNasium
12-27-2006, 02:59 PM
I don't think booze is included.

ck_IN
12-27-2006, 03:02 PM
Hell if you're crusing around the Caribbean just disembark and buy some local stuff. It'll probably be half the price and twice as strong. I know the rum I got while backpacking in Belize was.

Chief Henry
12-27-2006, 03:05 PM
Rain man,

The Galvston Port where the cruise ships depart
is a DUMP. We were jsut on a the Carnival Conquest out of Galveston. The ship and the Cruise
were great, but the port of Galveston is a dump.

They've got cheep booze on those ships too.
Two bottle of Absolute for $19.95.

Hog Farmer
12-27-2006, 03:22 PM

'Course when you add in the Mrs wanting to buy souvenirs from each cruise for family members you'll need to add another 20K.

I think he plans on pushing her overboard on cruise #1.

Rain Man
12-27-2006, 03:25 PM

Oh. Rats. You're right - that's per person and not per room, isn't it?

This is really going to mess up my numbers.

Hog Farmer
12-27-2006, 03:31 PM
And once again we are reminded that marriage is a bad thing.

Calcountry
12-27-2006, 05:34 PM
I see....prolly not a good idea to go up to the topless deck though..on a retirement cruise.Definitely NOT a good idea to share bunks with your mom on this.

stevieray
12-27-2006, 05:35 PM
Yet you still won't travel to Arrowhead.

patteeu
12-27-2006, 08:55 PM
Oh damn...rainmans 50??

that makes him the numero second behind skiptowne...who is like 80 something

He seems to age faster than the rest of us. I bet he's 52 by now.

Adept Havelock
12-27-2006, 08:59 PM
Have fun, and enjoy the complementary norovirus. :thumb:

go bowe
12-27-2006, 09:08 PM
52?

rainydayperson is still just a youngster to me...

and he drives vehicles with surprising colors...

nttawwt...

BucEyedPea
12-27-2006, 09:34 PM
Oh. Rats. You're right - that's per person and not per room, isn't it?

This is really going to mess up my numbers.
Not necessarily....just check out those tramp steamers!
You can go around the world! A real bargain!

Halfcan
12-28-2006, 12:27 AM
$1500 for tips?? planning on going to a few strip clubs too?

Rain Man
12-28-2006, 12:31 AM
$1500 for tips?? planning on going to a few strip clubs too?

I think you have to tip the Filipino crew every day or they'll spit in your food.

And yes, BucEyedPea, tramp freighters are ideal. It's long been my dream to go to South America on a tramp freighter. In fact, I've been trying to find one, but all of their trips take too long relative to my current work schedule.

Halfcan
12-28-2006, 12:34 AM
I think you have to tip the Filipino crew every day or they'll spit in your food.

And yes, BucEyedPea, tramp freighters are ideal. It's long been my dream to go to South America on a tramp freighter. In fact, I've been trying to find one, but all of their trips take too long relative to my current work schedule.

Or worse-yep I forgot about that on cruises-lots of tipping. I like the plan though-sounds very cool.

I would like to go to Europe, China, Russia, Japan, and several other places.

TinyEvel
12-28-2006, 03:06 AM
My money's on rural Pacific coast of Mexico. Just drive down and disappear.
The only cruise you'll find me on is a Booze Cruise.

crazycoffey
12-28-2006, 10:28 AM
Okay, I'm on this site, and I'm looking at the 90-day ticker for cruises.

http://www.vacationstogo.com/ticker.cfm?t=y

If this time of year is typical, I can do the following for three months:

1. 7-day Honolulu cruise starting January 1, for $699.
2. 5-day Galveston cruise starting January 8, for $299.
3. 7-day New Orleans cruise starting January 13, for $469.
4. 7-day Charleston cruise starting January 20, for $329.
5. 7-day Port Canaveral cruise starting January 27, for $499.
6. 7-day Fort Lauderdale cruise starting February 4, for $449.
7. 7-day Fort Lauderdale cruise starting February 11, for $469.
8. 6-day Fort Lauderdale cruise starting February 18, for $619.
9. 7-day Fort Lauderdale cruise starting February 24, for $549.
10. 8-day Fort Lauderdale cruise starting March 3, for $699.
11. 7-day Fort Lauderdale cruise starting March 11, for $599.
12. 7-day Fort Lauderdale cruise starting March 18, for $549.
13. 6-day Fort Lauderdale cruise starting March 25, for $479.

So, over a period of three months I have obtained food, shelter, almost all living expenses, and I think even emergency doctor and dental services for a total of about

$6,700 for cruises.
$800 or so for one airline ticket.
$400 or so for three days of rental car and driving.
$1,500 or so in tips.

That's about $9,400, or call it $3,200 a month including a few incidentals.

If I do this over the full year, that's about $40,000 in total expenses, or probably less than it will cost me to live at home.

If they had good videoconferencing, maybe I'd even do it now. I could save a ton of money relative to my current cost of living.

Not to throw another bug in your soup here, Rain. But what if just one of these cruises has a bit of misfortune and returns late, perhaps just hours after the next cruise has already left? That throws the whole season out of whack.

BucEyedPea
12-28-2006, 10:44 AM
Waitaminute, waitaminute, didn't you say these were retirement plans? :hmmm:

bushmaster
12-28-2006, 02:02 PM
Living on cruise ships is cost effective for elderly people
Janice Hopkins Tanne
New York

Living on a cruise ship provides a better quality of life and is cost effective for elderly people who need help to live independently, according to a study published in the Journal of the American Geriatrics Society.

Cruise ships have better health facilities than most care homes for elderly people

Elderly people often choose assisted living facilities, nursing homes, 24 hours a day home caregivers, or family support. Living on a cruise ship might be a better choice, says Lee Lindquist, instructor of medicine at Northwestern University's Feinberg School of Medicine in Chicago, and a geriatrician at Northwestern Memorial Hospital. People older than 65 who enjoy travel, have good cognitive function, but need some help in daily living are ideal candidates for care on a cruise ship.

The typical resident in a US assisted living facility is an 80 year old (age range 66 to 94) widowed, white, ambulatory woman who needs help with about two activities of daily living, such as walking, bathing, toileting, feeding, dressing, and transfers (for example, from bed to chair).

Such people might do better on a cruise ship, at a similar cost, even for many years. Dr Lindquist told the BMJ that she had accompanied her parents on a Caribbean cruise and saw that many passengers were just like her geriatric patients—some used walking frames, canes, or wheelchairs—but they enjoyed a better quality of life than patients in assisted living facilities. "Many had taken 20 or 30 cruises over the past two years, almost every other week," she said.

Dr Lindquist compared the amenities and costs in assisted living facilities with accommodation on cruise ships, using a Markov analysis. Both cruise ships and assisted living facilities offer single room apartments with a private bathroom, a shower with easy access, some help, cable television, security services, and entertainment.

Cruise ships, however, have superior health facilities—one or more doctors, nurses available 24 hours a day, defibrillators, equipment for dealing with medical emergencies, and the ability to give intravenous fluids and antibiotics.

Assisted living facilities almost never have doctors on site and seldom have nurses available 24 hours, Dr Lindquist said.

Cruise ships also have a higher ratio of employees to passengers than assisted living facilities.

In the United States, an assisted living facility costs about $2360 (£1290; 1850) a month or $28 689 a year. In the northeast and the west of the United States, costs are higher.

A one month cruise in November in the Caribbean would cost $2651. Living on board for the entire year would cost $33 260. The authors calculate that the long term cost for a person to live on a cruise ship from the age of 80 until his or her death would be $230 497 compared with $228 075 for an assisted living facility.