PDA

View Full Version : Which one of these Tackles will we sign ?

Eric
12-27-2006, 02:28 PM
http://www.footballsfuture.com/2007/nfl/freeagentsOL.html

Max Starks RFA Pittsburgh Steelers
Starks is a starting tackle for a Super Bowl champion. That’s enough in itself to get some teams a little excited about the prospects of acquiring him. The fact that Starks is young, talented, and massive in stature—listed at 6’8”, 337 lbs.—just adds to the excitement pile. Another lineman that shouldn’t be going anywhere as the Steelers will not let Starks go without a fight. The best bet is that Starks will decide he wants to stay in Pittsburgh and sign an extension. If he hits the market, there will be a team or two willing to pay a big amount to entice the tackle to relocate.

Leonard Davis UFA Arizona Cardinals
Davis is a massive tackle that the Cardinals can’t afford to lose to free agency, but it seems likely that they will. The Arizona offensive line is already suspect, and losing Davis would be a huge step in the wrong direction, but the team may have to let him go and find a replacement. Davis has shown the ability to simply be a wall of protection for his quarterback and while teams might not line up for the chance to sign him, anyone looking for a tackle will have him high on the list.

Mike Gandy, UFA, Buffalo Bills
A relatively young starting left tackle, Gandy had been blocking for Willis McGahee over the past two seasons, and this season could go a long way in making Gandy an appealing free agent. He has talent, but isn’t considered among the league’s best linemen. However, a decent starting left tackle doesn’t just drop from the sky, so expect him to garner interest from a handful of teams, if Buffalo doesn’t re-sign him before the market opens.

Other Free Agent Offensive Linemen
Eric Steinbach, UFA, Bengals
Jordan Black, UFA, Kansas City Chiefs
Dwayne Carswell, UFA, Denver Broncos
Derrick Dockery, UFA, Washington Redskins
Nat Dorsey, RFA, Cleveland Browns
Chris Gray, UFA, Seattle Seahawks
Norm Katnik, RFA, New York Jets
Ryan Lilja, RFA, Indianapolis Colts
Sean Locklear, RFA, Seattle Seahawks
Roman Oben, UFA, San Diego Chargers
Brian Rimpf, RFA, Baltimore Ravens
Eric Steinbach, UFA, Cincinnati Bengals
Todd Steussie, UFA, St. Louis Rams
Floyd Womack, UFA, Seattle Seahawks
Kris Dielman, UFA, San Diego
Damion McIntosh, UFA, Miami Dolphins

Redrum_69
12-27-2006, 02:30 PM
None of them....we'll be going for a center....and a water boy

and maybe some new cheerleaders from Dallas

noa
12-27-2006, 02:31 PM
Jordan Black is the LTOTF

ck_IN
12-27-2006, 02:31 PM
I bet we sign that Jordan Black guy. I'm not sure why but its a hunch.

Mecca
12-27-2006, 02:32 PM

:banghead:

PastorMikH
12-27-2006, 02:32 PM
None of them. We will wait and sign for someone 6 weeks into FA that hasn't even been called by anyone else, we will offer them a blockbuster deal comparable to the 2nd LT signed in FA. Then Carl will brag about how he has fixed the OL with this aquisition and raise ticket/parking prices again.

KC-TBB
12-27-2006, 02:33 PM
they will all be breaking down our doors to play here...

Reerun_KC
12-27-2006, 02:37 PM
We still will have Carl and Herm, so does it really matter what LT we sign?

Woodrow Call
12-27-2006, 02:39 PM
Black at LT and Terry at RT.

Eric
12-27-2006, 02:44 PM
Black at LT and Terry at RT.

Wow. Are you being serious? I know Black has played well in the last few games. Could he hold up to the best D-ends?

kepp
12-27-2006, 02:46 PM
Silly, silly, silly...everyone knows that Carl starts at the bottom of the list and goes up :shake:

Woodrow Call
12-27-2006, 02:48 PM
Wow. Are you being serious? I know Black has played well in the last few games. Could he hold up to the best D-ends?

That's not what I'd do but that is what I picture CP doing.

C-Mac
12-27-2006, 03:02 PM
FWIW I think that Carl will find good O lineman, is actually has been one of Petersons stronger attributes.

Kerberos
12-27-2006, 03:07 PM
None of them. We will wait and sign for someone 6 weeks into FA that hasn't even been called by anyone else, we will offer them a blockbuster deal comparable to the 2nd LT signed in FA. Then Carl will brag about how he has fixed the OL with this aquisition and raise ticket/parking prices again.

I Call :BS: because we ALL KNOW King Carl is one TOUGH S.O.B. negotiator.

It will be a deal comparable to what we could have signed our own LT at and had a better player in the long run.

And........ we still get the raise in ticket prices so he its a WIN-WIN for DaKing.

crazycoffey
12-27-2006, 03:09 PM
None of them....we'll be going for a center....and a water boy

and maybe some new cheerleaders from Dallas

we don't need any of these

Redrum_69
12-27-2006, 03:11 PM
We DO NEED more asian Cheerleaders....

crazycoffey
12-27-2006, 03:15 PM
:hump: :spank: PBJ

Hog Farmer
12-27-2006, 03:17 PM
Carl signed Willie Roaf when he became availabe, why wouldn't he go after the best one available this year. Maybe he doesn't read Chiefs Planet and is not aware that we need a Tackle.

Kerberos
12-27-2006, 03:20 PM

Is this really Cadmonkey in cognito as Redrum_69?

Redrum_69
12-27-2006, 03:23 PM
Is this really Cadmonkey in cognito as Redrum_69?

All I am saying is that asian cheerleaders are petite and just like eating asian food...after having one you'll be hungry for more 30 minutes later

Easy 6
12-27-2006, 03:25 PM
I have come to respect Black, but you sure as hell wont hear me complain to see LT upgraded. He's become much more consistent but is still pushed around way too much for me. Generally stays in front of his guy, but that often just means that the QB is staring directly into the back of his jersey as he throws.

Starks is interesting, but prolly not worth the $$$ other teams will offer.

Theres really not much out there though, its gonna take a real coup to upgrade at LT unless we draft a ready made guy like McNeil in Eggo.

Kerberos
12-27-2006, 03:25 PM
Carl signed Willie Roaf when he became availabe, why wouldn't he go after the best one available this year. Maybe he doesn't read Chiefs Planet and is not aware that we need a Tackle.

If I am not mistaken (and I could be) wasn't Willie Roaf coming off an injury and we took a chance on him that worked out for us in the long run?

Not that it makes that big of a difference but I don't see Carl spending HUGE amounts of money on one position unless there is a catch...Kinda like when we signed Kendrall Bell. He was injured and we took the risk and got F***ed.

I don't see us signing a LT or any other needed position without some kind of a catch. Even Ty Law came down in asking price to play for Herm again. And we kinda got F***ed on that one too IMO.

PastorMikH
12-27-2006, 03:35 PM

I thought we traded with the Saints to get Willie. He was coming off an injury in the prior season and wanted out because of the "Situation" betwen the Roaf's and Horn.

Mr. Laz
12-27-2006, 03:40 PM
"First order of business will be signing our own players"

~Carl Peterson~

Woodrow Call
12-27-2006, 03:41 PM
I thought we traded with the Saints to get Willie. He was coming off an injury in the prior season and wanted out because of the "Situation" betwen the Roaf's and Horn.

Yep

Mecca
12-27-2006, 03:42 PM
"first order of business with be signing our own players"

~Carl Peterson~

"Even the ones that suck"

Redrum_69
12-27-2006, 03:45 PM
I still think there should be a cheerleader draft

Imagine...cheerleader combine....universities from all over..bringing in their best.

Oh the humanity

Mr. Laz
12-27-2006, 03:47 PM
"Even the ones that suck"

anyone remember when Carl said that "sometimes it's better to re-sign a lesser player you were familiar with, than take a risk on a big star because you didn't know what you were gonna get"

he said something like that

it was back then when i first started to detest the man

Mecca
12-27-2006, 03:49 PM
anyone remember when Carl said that "sometimes it's better to re-sign a lesser player you were familiar with, than take a risk on a big star because you didn't know what you were gonna get"

That's code for "I don't want to sign a star I'd rather re-sign a crappy player who's loyal to me because I Know he'll blow me whenever I ask......ask Eric Hicks"

PastorMikH
12-27-2006, 03:49 PM
"first order of business with be signing our own players"

~Carl Peterson~

I assume, since he chose "sign" instead of "re-sign", Carl is planning on sitting back hoping his tender offers are enough to keep our players, knowing that they will "sign" elsewhere instead of "re-sign" here. Then, with half a dozen starting spots open 3 weeks into FA, we will be forced to start signing other players to fill our spots.

Tony Richardson is just one example.

:)

Rain Man
12-27-2006, 03:50 PM

Imagine...cheerleader combine....universities from all over..bringing in their best.

Oh the humanity

They'd probably have to stop it after the first spotters released the weights on the 225-lb. bench press, though.

Chiefs Pantalones
12-27-2006, 03:54 PM
I'm really not looking forward to the offseason, because it's always a disappointment. We always do just enough to stay competitive, not go over the top to try and win a Super Bowl.

I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired with this team.

Chiefs Pantalones
12-27-2006, 03:55 PM

I remember that too.

Zouk
12-27-2006, 03:58 PM
I'm really not looking forward to the offseason, because it's always a disappointment. We always do just enough to stay competitive, not go over the top to try and win a Super Bowl.

I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired with this team.

But what would you like us to do?

Sign Randy Moss or Terrell Owens?

Spend like the Redskins?

Super Bowl winners are built steadily and gradually through the draft - not through flashy offseasons.

I hope people don't freak out when we don't sign big-name flashy free agents.

Chiefnj
12-27-2006, 04:00 PM

Would the Chiefs be better if they had stuck with a "lesser" player like Fujita rather than sign the big name Bell?

crazycoffey
12-27-2006, 04:02 PM
:hail:

Chiefs Pantalones
12-27-2006, 04:03 PM
But what would you like us to do?

Sign Randy Moss or Terrell Owens?

Spend like the Redskins?

Super Bowl winners are built steadily and gradually through the draft - not through flashy offseasons.

I hope people don't freak out when we don't sign big-name flashy free agents.

It's not that, it's the fact that Carl can't run a successful football-first franchise. Now when it comes to the money, oh yes, he's the man. But he's not a football guy. We need a football guy at GM/CEO/President/World Leader/Prince of Peanuts/Leader of Men/Custodial Supervisor/Midget Pants Inc.

Woodrow Call
12-27-2006, 04:05 PM
Isn't this the offseason the Chiefs spend big according to the every other year theory?

Mr. Laz
12-27-2006, 04:14 PM
Would the Chiefs be better if they had stuck with a "lesser" player like Fujita rather than sign the big name Bell?
that's about crappy talent evaluation ... bad medical evaluation ..... putting a player that doesn't fit the system and overall general bad personal management.

that is not about purposely keeping a lesser player

Chiefnj
12-27-2006, 04:18 PM
that's about crappy talent evaluation ... bad medical evaluation ..... putting a player that doesn't fit the system and overall general bad personal management.

that is not about purposely keeping a lesser player

When are the Chiefs purposely keeping lesser players? Carl may be a lot of things, but in the last 5-6 years he has brought in a ton of free agents that the coaches wanted.

PastorMikH
12-27-2006, 04:23 PM

Like getting rid of a loser like Donnie Edwards and replacing him with a stud like Glen Cadrez?

Carl only seems to stick with that plan when our player is mediocre.

crazycoffey
12-27-2006, 04:24 PM
When are the Chiefs purposely keeping lesser players? Carl may be a lot of things, but in the last 5-6 years he has brought in a ton of free agents that the coaches wanted.

one other variable; the other teams have some darn good players and coaches too.

It is just a game and sometimes you win and sometimes you loose. Sometimes you even have better skills than the person / team you loose too.

Psyko Tek
12-27-2006, 04:24 PM

Oh the humanity

A man of real genious

or that what my mom said

Iowanian
12-27-2006, 04:26 PM
They'll sign Black. You know it, its just a fact.

I think he's more likely a decent OG though.

I'm sure a LT will be signed, but it won't be a top shelf selection.

I'm still in the hope that Terry makes a huge comback, becomes a solid RT for the next few seasons.

crazycoffey
12-27-2006, 04:27 PM
A man of real genious

or that what my mom said

your mom said that before or after feed you a bunch of combos

Chromie
12-27-2006, 04:33 PM
I'm hoping they go after the DT from Louisville I think it is...his name is Okoye...20 years old and a beast.

Unfortunately, Carl is the common denominator in all our woes. The players have changed, the HC has changed...only thing left is Carl...Somethings gotta give.

thedude
12-27-2006, 04:45 PM
For the first non-sarcastic/relevant to the thread question post, I'd like to grab a monster like Leonard Davis come to KC and be the next Roaf. However, if thats not possible, I think Lilja, Dockery or McIntosh would work well.

I would guess try and grab a FA LT for long term, a FA G for a few years and then grab one in the draft and groom him to be the next Shields, and then move Black to RT where he doesn't have the added pressure of protecting the QB's weakside.

sedated
12-27-2006, 04:50 PM
I don't think Black should be our long-term answer at anything besides Guard.

He might have gotten some of the quickness used to fill in at LT, but does not have the power to be a RT.

suds79
12-27-2006, 04:51 PM
Why is it everybody wants a 6'7 340 lb Tackle?

They're too slow.

Here is my point. What could a 6'7 340 lb Tackle do to a 270 lb DE in the running game that a faster 6'5 310 lb Tackle couldn't?

They both should be able to blow their man off the ball.

The key difference? I'm going to bet that the 310 lb Tackle is probably more nimble in pass protection.

Save those 340 lb guys for the Guard position. They have to face the bigger guys on D.

MOhillbilly
12-27-2006, 04:51 PM
has anyone said jordan black yet?

penguinz
12-27-2006, 04:57 PM
I assume, since he chose "sign" instead of "re-sign", Carl is planning on sitting back hoping his tender offers are enough to keep our players, knowing that they will "sign" elsewhere instead of "re-sign" here. Then, with half a dozen starting spots open 3 weeks into FA, we will be forced to start signing other players to fill our spots.

Tony Richardson is just one example.

Tony Richardson is not an example. He had no intentions of re-signing with the chiefs.

ROYC75
12-27-2006, 05:16 PM
FTR, for me, Leonard Davis UFA Arizona Cardinals is high on my list of FA's to sign. Give him a year with Solari on the line and he will produce. But can we get him for a fair price ?

As what the Chiefs will do........ Jordan Black willbe here and they will pickup more tackles in the draft.

Calcountry
12-27-2006, 05:26 PM
Carl signed Willie Roaf when he became availabe, why wouldn't he go after the best one available this year. Maybe he doesn't read Chiefs Planet and is not aware that we need a Tackle.I know Dante Hall reads Chiefs Planet.

One week, there were threads all over the place saying he needs to hit the hole, and quit crying. He comes out against Baltimore and has a good game doing exactly that.

Bob Dole
12-27-2006, 05:47 PM
The coaching staff will spend the offseason converting Rich Scanlon to RT.

Bob Dole
12-27-2006, 05:49 PM
I know Dante Hall reads Chiefs Planet.

Ya think?

ChiefsCountry
12-27-2006, 06:26 PM
Just watch the Chiefs will trade for Orlando Pace and sign two other free agents plus have another good draft and we will get all gitty again.

Easy 6
12-27-2006, 09:02 PM
Why is it everybody wants a 6'7 340 lb Tackle?

They're too slow.

Here is my point. What could a 6'7 340 lb Tackle do to a 270 lb DE in the running game that a faster 6'5 310 lb Tackle couldn't?

They both should be able to blow their man off the ball.

The key difference? I'm going to bet that the 310 lb Tackle is probably more nimble in pass protection.

Save those 340 lb guys for the Guard position. They have to face the bigger guys on D.

Thats exactly what i think as well, its cool to think about a guy 9'2" 425 at LT just like L.Davis, but they cant pop their hips left & right & maintain enough balance to beat top DE's.

Davis at RG sounds much better.

ChiefsCountrys wish about getting Pace sounds TOO COOL, he's a guy IMO that needs a good kick in the ass to be properly motivated at times, but that could be accomplished here. Whats his contract status??? Thats a dream worth dreaming.

Chief Roundup
12-27-2006, 09:40 PM
Other side of the ball but what about Hollis Thomas or Robaire Smith?
Always liked Smith.

crazycoffey
12-27-2006, 09:46 PM
Ya think?

Well, in that case, HEY DANTE!!!!!!!!

don't be so damned hard on yourself, we can see it on the tube, it's like you are trying too hard and not enjoying the ride. Loosen up a bit and have fun too.

Thought it would be bad, didn't you

GROB
12-27-2006, 10:03 PM
I hope chefs sign leonard Davis.

Iowanian
12-27-2006, 10:06 PM
If it were Madden, I'd have the GM let Shields retire and pick up Steinbach and Max Starks.....but its not.

Chief fans will be lucky if someone the caliber of Mike Gandy ends up here at LT.

Chief Roundup
12-27-2006, 10:25 PM
Isn't this the offseason the Chiefs spend big according to the every other year theory?
Well I would imagine between resigning Tony G., Jared Allen, Kawika Mitchell and probably some money for LJ in a renegotiation/extension. We will be running the well dry. I would doubt that we will see anything other than 2cd tier FA's visiting KC this offseason. Not to burst your bubble.